test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

California class

kylefubarkylefubar Member Posts: 34 Arc User
i understand that this subject has been posted. i figured i would add my suggestions with the California class. i would recommend the ships as a cruiser and a special material that in customization thats cell shaded like the show. i would like to see a bundle with a klingon ship if they show one.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I would Buy this ship only of it comes with an option to attach the warp sucking alien from the opening.. :lol:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Cryptic has previously stated that if they do things from the show, like having the characters show up in STO, it wont be cell shaded to look like the cartoon. They will just do a more STO looking version of these things.

Yeah, just like the doffs from lower decks.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Having different art styles in the game would also cause severe coding issues. To the point that, were I the Art Manager, I'd recommend the idea be dumped so that there might be some chance the new ship might actually make it out the door.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    Cryptic has previously stated that if they do things from the show, like having the characters show up in STO, it wont be cell shaded to look like the cartoon. They will just do a more STO looking version of these things.
    You're about a month late at the party:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Tendi
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Beckett_Mariner
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Brad_Boimler
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Rutherford

Of course, they won't do that with the ships and proper character models, but they still did it with the DOff cards for no coherent reason.
    jonsills wrote: »
    Having different art styles in the game would also cause severe coding issues. To the point that, were I the Art Manager, I'd recommend the idea be dumped so that there might be some chance the new ship might actually make it out the door.
    Err, no, fan modders can make characters in different art styles in many games, so if the STO engine isn't too much of a mess, it's still possible to have cel-shading-textured assets, without coding issues.

It's just it'd look way too weird for the game and no serious lead (art) designer would allow that. But then again, those DOff cards.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    > @foxrockssocks said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Yeah, just like the doffs from lower decks.

Actually, they replaced their original STO-ified version of the Lower Deck doffs with pics of the actual cartoon characters. So while the doffs may not be representative of items in the "actual game world", they actually did change them to look cartoony rather than more realistic.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited September 2020
    Following up on my previous post, here is how the Lower Decks doffs originally looked when released:

a4U4pzt.jpg

However they were updated to look like this:

ZGe6bX1.jpg

nFaQQW3.jpg

eaOmB1U.jpg

aP4Wbnr.jpg

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited September 2020
    Also, Saurializard, they mentioned on the stream they changed the DOFF cards as part of some deal with CBS.

Yep, and the simple fact is we have absolutely no idea what the "deal" covers. If CBS wants the doff cards to look like the characters from the show, none of us know what that will mean if/when we actually get some of those characters to appear in actual missions and how CBS will want them to look at that time. We simply have no idea what CBS will tell them to do.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    > @foxrockssocks said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Yeah, just like the doffs from lower decks.

Actually, they replaced their original STO-ified version of the Lower Deck doffs with pics of the actual cartoon characters. So while the doffs may not be representative of items in the "actual game world", they actually did change them to look cartoony rather than more realistic.

I know that. It was a bad change. My point was simple though, they actually do have the cartoony, cell shaded look for those DOFFs, despite originally making them fit the STO aesthetic, which goes counter to what was stated. There isn't a guarantee they won't do something silly like making cartoon ships (it would be a fun april fools, though) when they already did it for the DOFFs to make them look terribly out of place.
    Yeah, just like the doffs from lower decks.
    You're about a month late at the party:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Tendi
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Beckett_Mariner
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Brad_Boimler
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Rutherford

Of course, they won't do that with the ships and proper character models, but they still did it with the DOff cards for no coherent reason.
    I love responses like these because of how blatantly they ignore what was said just to try for some stupid gotcha argument. A doff card isn't some 3d modeled NPC, ship, or environment.

Also, Saurializard, they mentioned on the stream they changed the DOFF cards as part of some deal with CBS.

Firstly, you didn't mention any 3d modeling, second, I wouldn't be surprised if DOFF cards were actually all 3d models to start with, given their look. Why do more work than needed creating brand new 2d portraits when you can snap a picture of a 3d model that the game is already setup to do easily?

But none of that is relevant to the simple fact that they already represent the lower decks stuff as exactly as it is in the cartoon as opposed to STOifying it, so saying they wouldn't do that when they actually did doesn't make any sense. They had STOified the characters then tossed that out to give us the cartoon versions of the DOFFs which look horrifically out of place.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    I think this debate's turning more into conspiracy theory vs what we actually know...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    I want Lower Decks BOFFS. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    Following up on my previous post, here is how the Lower Decks doffs originally looked when released:

a4U4pzt.jpg

However they were updated to look like this:

ZGe6bX1.jpg

nFaQQW3.jpg

eaOmB1U.jpg

aP4Wbnr.jpg

Would have picked them up on the former look...*non-cartoon* But now...unlikely.

52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • stocostumes#8412 stocostumes Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2020

same! Until then we made these :p

https://imgur.com/a/v9me4Hl

available for download here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/stocostumes/comments/hrz9b5/a_note_regarding_costume_requests/
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    It is surprisingly difficult to make 3D models look like drawings, especially since they would have to share the lighting and whatnot with more traditional "live action" style ships. In Champions Online there is an option to render characters with black outline tracing of materials in an effort to make them look more like comic book illustrations, but that does not do much towards that goal, so even if they instituted that option for ships in STO the results would not be that cartoonish.

Even in Blender, which is used to make 2D cartoons as well as 3D ones, it takes a special render engine to handle the conversion from 3D look to 2D (or at least it did back when I was using it, no idea if it has changed since). It is unlikely Cryptic would rework their engine just to single out a few ships to render in a cartoonish style while the rest are (reasonably) photo-realistic style.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    It is surprisingly difficult to make 3D models look like drawings, especially since they would have to share the lighting and whatnot with more traditional "live action" style ships. In Champions Online there is an option to render characters with black outline tracing of materials in an effort to make them look more like comic book illustrations, but that does not do much towards that goal, so even if they instituted that option for ships in STO the results would not be that cartoonish.

Even in Blender, which is used to make 2D cartoons as well as 3D ones, it takes a special render engine to handle the conversion from 3D look to 2D (or at least it did back when I was using it, no idea if it has changed since). It is unlikely Cryptic would rework their engine just to single out a few ships to render in a cartoonish style while the rest are (reasonably) photo-realistic style.
    I suspect blender has that functionality as some people use it for professional work and modern cartoons have a lot of CGI in them (mostly to do stuff that's hard or impossible to do just with 2D elements and if done right it's generally hard to notice if you're not looking for it), if fact I suspect most if not all space scenes in Lower Decks are cell shaded CGI that said, due to the very different way light "works" in 2D and 3D it would be really hard to get a Cell Shaded ship to work in STO without it looking like it was poorly made.
    Same... Just for the pleasure to make Mariner suffer like her mother made her suffer by promoting her, except the STO way, like making her fight the Borg with a Mk I rusty sword and no remodulator, armor or shield.
    #TASforSTO
    Same... Just for the pleasure to make Mariner suffer like her mother made her suffer by promoting her, except the STO way, like making her fight the Borg with a Mk I rusty sword and no remodulator, armor or shield.

I like her, so I'll be giving her a gold phaser mk15
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2020

She would still win.. she always wins.

tenor.gif?itemid=18030566

Get used to it. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.

tenor.gif?itemid=18030566

;)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    I don't mind seeing the Cerritos as a playable ship, with or without the cell shading and weird cartoon art style. Things that I would like from the show:

1: California Class - as a playable vessel
    2. Bridge Officers from the show
    3. Uniforms from lower deck
    4. Some of the Aliens from the show
    5. That DOG as a pet and combat pet - MUST have that Dog

Be nice to see this in game, as it is actually taking place during the time of TNG
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg

Oh, I'm aware of her plot armor, hence why it's not about her winning or not, it's about making her work harder while the rest of the crew relaxes , which is a far worse punishment for her.

#TASforSTO
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @reyan01 said:
    > (Quote)
    > Take some comfort in the fact that you'll almost definitely see the California class in-game before we see a certain TNG-era canon science vessel which the Devs seem to have taken a dislike to.

As much as I sympathize with you, prioritizing current running series isn't as much of a shocker.

But the Nova will probably sit in the dark for a while longer, just like the olympic which is also in dire need of attention
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    But the Nova will probably sit in the dark for a while longer, just like the olympic which is also in dire need of attention
    Ohh please, the Oberth is THE single most screwed ship in the game.

The Nova and Olympic at least have Fleet T5 versions, making them still actually useable for the majority of the game's content. The Oberth only has a T1 version.

And the Nova and Olympic can get a T5-U upgrade, bringing them up close to T6 levels. The Oberth, being T1, has no such option.
    Probably no coincidence!
    Unofficially, the Nova-class was considered by some of the production staff as the replacement for the Oberth class as research and science platform. (Star Trek: Starship Spotter, p. 36)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    > @jjotterbear#7583 said:
    > The thing about the DOFFs bering cartoony is that those are only images. Not 3D models. Its a lot easier to just superimpose a 2d image into the game than design a 3D cell shaded physical model that clashes with the art style of the rest of the game.
    Unless they built a special lighting rig just for those boffs the illusion of them being cartoon would break the moment they were in anything but flat lighting. The model itself isn't really an issue it's the lights that are.
This discussion has been closed.