test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please add a Like/dislike to the forums

I been seeing quite a few post with go ideals that I would like to upvote. Right now if I wish to like something have to post that I like this. If you would add a way for us to upvote a ideal that would be great.

Comments

• eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    Been there done it already. It was a failure. Kael introduced a similar system a while back. It led to systematic bullying ie a number of players ganging up on another to dislike their post. It was a complete disaster. Hopefully never to been seen again. We literally had players just going through the forum disliking disliking disliking for the sheer hell of it
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I agree, the social media culture was never something to treasure. You have countless examples in fiction how this system always leads to abuse (even an episode of the orville) and it hapoens like that in real life too.

The forums had it, it was a desaster and hopefully it never returns. And I hope the Internet does return to a state of not relying on this feature
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    Agreed. No dislike/like button on the forums please.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • thegdthadmanthegdthadman Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I been seeing quite a few post with go ideals that I would like to upvote. Right now if I wish to like something have to post that I like this. If you would add a way for us to upvote a ideal that would be great.

For posts that are feature requests, this does seem useful as a way of communicating broad support for an idea.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User

For posts that are feature requests, this does seem useful as a way of communicating broad support for an idea.

As previously stated it led to wide spread bullying. It was used in a manner that it was not accustomed to be used and a complete failure.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    How about just a "like" button. If someone makes a suggestion or posts a comment that you like, you can just click the button instead of having to post a new comment that says "I like that". It would also give a way to keep tally of how many people are in support of a particular idea.

I do agree with others though that we should try to keep things positive and stick to a "like" button only, no "dislike" button.