test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Proposed total revamp to PvP

sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
Step 1... Create a character creation branch for Galactic Conflict. It would work like the foundry slot worked.

Bring a new server shard online and name it DogsOfWar.

Galactic Conflict option would only be turned on for that shard.

All characters created would be faction 0. When queuing up for a battle, total earned pestige points would determine which ships and what gear are possible. The mission briefing will indicate the opposing sides and what the objective is for each side. Based on this info, the players will decide which side they want to play.

That decision will set faction 1 or faction 2 status for the duration of the battle.

One side will almost always be an antagonist group from the core game. Terran Empire vs Federation. Etc.

Once new PvP system is working as intended, on the main server, switch everyone to faction 0 after revamping the core game to no longer even reference the 2-faction system. All players would be Alliance.

But the PvP shard would be all about the different conflicts from all eras of Trek... Even the Romulan-Earth war...

Just a thought...
"There can be no meeting of the minds between two parties
if both parties are not willing to meet in the middle."
-Ambassador Samuel J. Stone
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    So the character you create for the Galactic Conflict server would change it's faction each match? I am imagining I would select PVP Science Character (Tier 5) from character select. I would then have access to Tier 5 PVP gear, traits, and skills to fashion my kit. When I am put into a match (say KDF vs. Fed), I am assigned to a faction-team (say Fed), and I become a Human Captain flying the T5 Nova because before the match started I selected "Tier 5 science ship" as my ship. If I was assigned to the Klingon team, I would have become a Klingon Captain flying the Teir 5 Gorn sci ship.
  • ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    There's more chance of William Shatner doing voice work for Star Trek Online than Cryptic putting any form of development into PvP. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but Cryptic have no interest in taking the game in that direction
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    It would be nice if STO was more successful than WoW and had the resources to try experiments like this. I'd never play PVP myself but with that much larger player base there might be enough PVPers to make it worthwhile.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    It sounds a little too much Battle Royale to me. Not only that, how do you differenciate factions if you're bouncing back and forth? You could be Blue side with a nice tricked out ship, then locked out of it because next battle you're bounced to Red side and your ship is Blue only.

And how do you get gear to outfit these ships? How do you address anything like lockbox ships that people want to bring over?

Sounds like you're forcing everyone to start from scratch and have to work to keep what they earn, otherwise they lose it. Not sure how popular that would be honestly...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    The problems with PVP centric games is devs mostly balance everything around PVP(cause its where most incentive for exploitation happens on mmos) and often TRIBBLE PVE players and not letting them settle on builds since they constantly change. Even games like WoW with less focus in PVP had this problem with nerfs coming just for PVP affecting a lot PVE players and all that to balance battlegrounds and ranked PVP arenas. The real challenge is how to have those two polar opposites(PVE and PVP) work on same environment/server as you dont want to fracture the playerbase into more servers either. It definitely has worked somewhat on sandboxes but 1. with rough rulesets and 2. being designed from the start for it.

Also why DogsofWar - I am pretty sure Ferasan and Caitians will protest! :p
  • ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User

Doesn't stop me from posting my thoughts on how it could be done.

Besides... The people calling the shots now may not be the same people calling the shots later. All it takes is someone with real decision making power to make the decision, and the entire direction of the game could change.

I'm fluent in speaking hypothetical...

That's fine keep dreaming, mine is Cryptic get a Sugar Daddy who will inject a whole ton of money into this product to fix the servers, sort out the ISP, hire a bug fixing team and a quality control department.
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
    That's fine keep dreaming, mine is Cryptic get a Sugar Daddy who will inject a whole ton of money into this product to fix the servers, sort out the ISP, hire a bug fixing team and a quality control department.

Hopefully one that doesn't get shuffled to other projects Cryptic's working on, like the upcoming Magic MMO?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    It sounds a little too much Battle Royale to me. Not only that, how do you differenciate factions if you're bouncing back and forth? You could be Blue side with a nice tricked out ship, then locked out of it because next battle you're bounced to Red side and your ship is Blue only.

And how do you get gear to outfit these ships? How do you address anything like lockbox ships that people want to bring over?

Sounds like you're forcing everyone to start from scratch and have to work to keep what they earn, otherwise they lose it. Not sure how popular that would be honestly...

In this approach to PvP, it's completely separate from PvE. Nothing you do in PvE has ANY bearing on PvP. This allows a pure experience for both.

The idea is to give players the versatility to be able to participate on either side of a battle. You earn prestige to spend on ships, equipment, gear and such. Prestige replaces energy credits. CStore ships can be bought but you would still have to spend the prestige to use them. They would not show up as an option at all unless bought... Same thing goes for lockbox ships.

I think as soon as you start to allow folks to bring lockbox and promo ships over from main game into the pvp server, you would end up with the same balance problem we currently have with PVP. I would say, stick to freebie and C-store ships. I would even say, stick to ships that have a version for all factions (like the new carriers) that can be swapped easily by just swapping the skin.

But to make this idea work, real thought has to be put into designing the available traits, gear, and skills to allow for real balance without pigeon-holing people into one of a handful of viable builds.
    And what's to stop alpha strike ganking like what already happens in STO? You get a group rolling around looking for easy kills.
    Or how about keeping people from grouping up to game the system to give their group an unfair advantage, such as voluntary sacrifices in order to boost teammates to god tier and dominate.

It still sounds too much like a Battle Royale or EVE, with being knocked out of a ship you JUST earned. And honestly a system like this caters heavily towards those on the upper end and know how to game the system. Anyone else is going to struggle to keep up.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    And what's to stop alpha strike ganking like what already happens in STO? You get a group rolling around looking for easy kills.
    Or how about keeping people from grouping up to game the system to give their group an unfair advantage, such as voluntary sacrifices in order to boost teammates to god tier and dominate.

It still sounds too much like a Battle Royale or EVE, with being knocked out of a ship you JUST earned. And honestly a system like this caters heavily towards those on the upper end and know how to game the system. Anyone else is going to struggle to keep up.

EVE Online PVP, outside of their alliance tournament event, is all about finding their opponents unprepared, nothing fair about it, but its a sandbox with economy built around loss. When a ship gets destroyed in PVP or PVE it drops a portion of equipped modules while rest gets destroyed. This fuel their market as people need always ships and modules. STO isnt made for that and average STO player wouldnt handle the pain of ship and equipment loss. I dont think it can work here
    So what would you do?

I honestly don't know.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    This proposal sounds a good deal like the Tiered system I mentioned the last time it was brought up.

Just with a Faction 0 setting.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
This discussion has been closed.