test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Terran Empire Fraction.

paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
I know this post has been done before, but why not just give the Terran Empire the same treatment to TOS and Disco, where they do a tutorial and some early missions, before joining the Federation, the final mission before they join the feds involves them killing their prime universe counterparts, and going under cover in the prime universe under Mirror Leeta orders, aside from some weapons, uniforms and some dialogue with mirror Leeta and Killy, they'll pretty much function as Feds, even mirror Lorca managed to fool the Federation.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• mysonne1mysonne1 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    The Terran Empire isn't a math equation though :P
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    mysonne1 wrote: »
    it's just the term used for factions that are smaller than a mini faction, Feds and the KDF are full factions, Roms and Doms are mini factions, TOS and Disco feds are FRactions, Terran empire would fit in the same category as TOS and Disco Feds.

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Except that the Terran Empire is kind of an evil faction, and would never side with the Federation or the Klingon Empire.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    Most players would rather have a new story episode they can play with the existing factions. The majority of players don't want to be Terran, so for a small game with a small development team it isn't worth the resources to do even a tutorial episode.

Just put all that into your bio, problem solved.

I have a Terran Defector captain flying a Paradox he brought with him along with his crew and a reprogrammed holo-Leeta loyalty officer. No sub-faction was needed.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I'm guessing the Terrans would be 42/47, but fractions are usually a Borg thing, 7/9 and so on. Maybe Terran fractions would use more prime numbers.

On the other hand, the Terran Empire, being an authoritarian totalitarian state, they may push 2+2=5, so their fractions could be equally nonsensical like pi/32.7i.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    What would be the point, I don't get it?
    You'd end up with your run of the mill Starfleet character doing the exact same thing every other Starfleet character in the game is doing. It would essentially boil down to it being a costume option and a lockbox ship, both of which are already available in the game.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Except that the Terran Empire is kind of an evil faction, and would never side with the Federation or the Klingon Empire.

They would do it as long as it served their own self-interest.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    People where disgusted with Renegade's Regret and you want an evil faction??i loved that mission, but really, people cannot separate fiction from reality, so very unlikely
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    People where disgusted with Renegade's Regret and you want an evil faction??i loved that mission, but really, people cannot separate fiction from reality, so very unlikely

STO is a MMO RPG not FPS, action, etc. so people being invested in their fictional characters makes sense to me.

It took me almost 5 years to finally play the Nuka World DLC for Fallout 4 since you take the raider side and pillage the settlements you've built up. If those weren't the last few achievements for the game I might never have gotten to it. The only good raider is a dead raider.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited September 2020

STO is a MMO RPG not FPS, action, etc. so people being invested in their fictional characters makes sense to me.

It took me almost 5 years to finally play the Nuka World DLC for Fallout 4 since you take the raider side and pillage the settlements you've built up. If those weren't the last few achievements for the game I might never have gotten to it. The only good raider is a dead raider.

Yeah, its an RPG, but you should be able to use the shoes of other characters or it will be Single Role Playing Game.. :lol:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User

It is not a matter of separating fiction from reality at all, it is the fact that (unsuprisingly) a lot of people play MMORPGs to slip into character and roleplay, even if it is just solo RP with the game environment like one of the old interactive fiction books.

The roleplayers don't have the trouble dropping into and out of the parts they way you imply, it is that some of those roles have an unpleasant feel, one that people who get into the mindset of their characters to play a game for fun are not likely to choose. And there are enough of them playing STO that annoying or creepy parts take a serious demographics hit, and things only of interest to below a certain percentage of the playerbase are not considered worth doing.

Of course in this case there is also the possibility that CBS discourages or even outright blocked any idea of doing Mirror characters, networks are notoriously weird when it comes to portraying "evil" characters as the protagonists.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,596 Arc User
    instead of the resources it would take to add ANY other faction, I would rater see Romulan specific and Klingon Specific episodes. I think this whole J'Ula arc should have been strictly KDF
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
    I think this whole J'Ula arc should have been strictly KDF

Except she would have gone after the Federation anyways, which may draw in the Republic as well.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    Cryptic has already stated that there are no plans to do a Terran Empire faction because negative player reactions to previously "darker" content like the Kobali, and Renegades Regret, have shown that most of the playerbase doesn't want to do the sort of things that would be associated with said faction.

I fail to see why. I would decimate a planet's surface, should it's inhabitants defy the Empire, UNlike that TRAItor spock

btw, long live the TERRAN Empire
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    mysonne1 wrote: »

Funny!
    I fail to see why. I would decimate a planet's surface, should it's inhabitants defy the Empire, UNlike that TRAItor spock

The majority of players seem to be less inclined to do the same. I mean I knew one person who wanted to do that to the Talaxians, and a few people who do want to glass Kobali Prime...
    But it all seems to come more from a dislike of those species and not any desire to RP as Terran Empire.
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

The majority of players seem to be less inclined to do the same. I mean I knew one person who wanted to do that to the Talaxians, and a few people who do want to glass Kobali Prime...
    But it all seems to come more from a dislike of those species and not any desire to RP as Terran Empire.

yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of jarjar binks half of that planet, but talaxia will do
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
This discussion has been closed.