test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The challenger class should actually be awesome

disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
edited September 2020 in The Shipyard
https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/challenger.htm

Might be an unpopular opinion but ships with horizontally aligned warp nacelles and saucer hulls actually make better sense from a weapon perspective.

Note that with the nacelles along the center line there are almost no blindspots for the dorsal or ventral weapons arrays. Leaving the only blind spot for the weapons directly aft.

I would love to see some of the older kitbashes in game.

Not sure how I would spec it but I'd say it's either a destroyer or a light cruiser
As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus

Comments

• Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    I would pick that up if it was in the C-Store at the regular ship pricing. I wouldn't bother if it was a Promo ship, Lock Box ship, or Mudd store ship.
  • Options
    > @westmetals said:
    > I think there is a somewhat similar idea behind the Defiant, Phantom, and Somerville lines (having their nacelles mounted on the sides of the saucer).

IDK we never saw a ship of that shape take advantage of a large contiguous array setup.

I remember an explanation on why the galaxy class phaser array was so powerful. It was something to the effect that the array itself was more a really fancy focusing apparatus, with the actual weapon embedded beneath it. By having a contiguous array it allowed the individual weapons to function as a single weapons system.

Altho later designs didn't follow that feature. Instead its lots of individual arrays scattered around the hull, so who knows.

• Options
    > @jcsww said:
    > I would pick that up if it was in the C-Store at the regular ship pricing. I wouldn't bother if it was a Promo ship, Lock Box ship, or Mudd store ship.

A 3pack with some of the other weird shapes.
    https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/freedom.htm

• Options
    > @westmetals said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > The Defiant did use cannons and the other two aren't screen-canon, so possibly true that they don't have arrays. Still a potential similarity in design theory.

The defiant did have at least one array on the dorsal section. They didn't do many fx shots with it during the show but it's there.

I would think the Defiants layout would be geared more toward a low silhouette/small target mentality.

Good arguments for both I guess

• Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    I got a 3d model of that one. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Well, I think the problem with that is the ST "science" behind nacelles is that they need a line of sight to one another for a stable warp field. Even the Defiant works that way as the nacelles extend below the hull and can generally see each other under the ship.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The Challenger nacelles do "see" each other, they both overlap the secondary hull a bit.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    > @coldnapalm said:
    > Hey, you know what we need during the Year of the Klingon? MORE feddie bear ships. You know...the fact that the KDF is missed out on a feddie bear ONLY promo during the time that is suppose to focus on them along with now a STUPIDLY OP trait that is feddie bear only...yeah let's just ask for more feddie bear only stuff.

Ah yes how could I have forgotten you, forgive me for not also mentioning (isnert thing you like) while starting a conversation about what I like.

You are correct sir that would be in equitable. Maybe we should all hold a moratorium on new posts about our own personal interests so we call all talk about what you think.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Flaming/trolling redacted. -- WingedHussar
    Post edited by wingedhussar#7584 on

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Response to moderated post redacted. -- WingedHussar

• Options
    edited September 2020
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Maybe we could get a bundle with the Challenger, Niagra and the Apollo from star trek legacy.

• Options
    edited September 2020

• Options
    Meh, Back to the topic.
    http://www.ussalbion.co.uk/akula2.html

The Akula class would fit nicely as an alternate skin to the Challenger. I never really gave the vertical stack designs much attention before but they are kinda growing on me.

• Options
    > @disposeableh3r0 said:
    > Meh, Back to the topic.
    > http://www.ussalbion.co.uk/akula2.html
    >
    > The Akula class would fit nicely as an alternate skin to the Challenger. I never really gave the vertical stack designs much attention before but they are kinda growing on me.

They probably can't use the Akuka since it's from 3rd party material, but I do like the challenger. Since the Kelvin, which had a weird layout granted, having just one nacelle and a tubular secondary hull, these designs look more intriguing to me. And lower decks renewed my liking for classic TNG aesthetics :)
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    edited September 2020
    Whoo, what a lot to unpack in this thread.

@disposeableh3r0: I'm 99% certain that comment was sarcastic given the stuff I erased from it, but for the record, the Apollo is conclusively not happening. As it was created by Bethesda Softworks, Cryptic can't use it without a license. This is in the FCT.
    15) Inclusion of Fan-Designed Ships or Ships from Other Star Trek Licensees

Short answer: No, this is not likely to happen.

For ships from other Star Trek licensed properties, for example Star Trek: Starfleet Command, the tabletop RPGs by FASA or Last Unicorn Games, or any original ships Pocket Books' novel writers may invent in the future, Cryptic has to negotiate for the rights to each design individually with the other license-holder, as they did pre-launch with the Luna-class reconnaissance science vessel (Pocket Books' Star Trek: Titan) and Vesta-class multi-mission explorer (Pocket Books' Star Trek: Destiny). It's simply faster and cheaper for them to create their own original ships.

There are several fan-designed or fan-named ships already in the game, but the fracas that ensued over the "Design the Next Enterprise" contest has led the development team to decide against soliciting any further designs. There was one other competition since then to design what became the Jupiter-class carrier, but it involved variations of developer-made designs.

Any ship that appeared in a Star Trek TV show or film is still potentially fair game, though.

Closed by OP request.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
This discussion has been closed.