test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Inquiry class(Riker's ship) from Picard is coming to a promo-pack near you!

Comments

• Options
    fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    The worst part is that the bloody thing doesn't even look like the ship from Picard.
  • Options
    voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Year of the Klingon...here have a fed only promo ship with an ABSOLUTELY OP trait that all you KDF players have ZERO access to. Sound fair...right? I mean it is called year of the KLINGON...oh...yeah maybe that was a bad idea. Cryptic seems HELL BENT on making sure I never spend money with them it seems.

The words you're looking for are "Good Grief!", Charlie Brown.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > (Quote)
    > Aren't the last two lobi ships that don't have a T6 version the Hirogen Apex, and Advanced Obelisk?
    >
    > I also wonder if/when we will see T6 versions of the like 6-7 or so lockbox ships that don't have a T6 version yet. I find it weird that most of the remaining on T6 ships from the Lobi store/lockboxes that aren't T6 are DQ race ships.

Correct for Hirogen Apex and Advanced Obelisk Lobi Store Ships . For the other 6-7 others, I assume you mean non-Mirror T5s like the Malon Battlecrusier, Nihydron Destroyer, APU Crusier, Tholian Meshweaver, Sphere Builder Arehbus, Lukari Scout Ship, and the Hirogen Hunter?

Except for the Hirogen Hunter, which was a Lockbox Ship and would get a T6 treatment, the rest were all released as Upgrade Module T5s after T6 Ships were introduced. As that seems to be a deliberate act, I'm not sure that they would ever get a T6 Upgrade treatment.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    Year of the Klingon...here have a fed only promo ship with an ABSOLUTELY OP trait that all you KDF players have ZERO access to. Sound fair...right? I mean it is called year of the KLINGON...oh...yeah maybe that was a bad idea. Cryptic seems HELL BENT on making sure I never spend money with them it seems.

2020 being the Year of the Klingon is ironically very fitting considering the events where everything is going straight to hell for the Empire, between leadership TRIBBLE up their war veterans and allies for political gains, all while allying with megalomaniac nutjobs and setting a conspiracy resulting in several people from other parties getting threatened or killed as collateral damage, while sending sycophants to take the heat until they outlive their usefulness. And between all that, expensive gifts for those who already bring the most money while the expendable ones get nothing. Also, there is a weird virus running rampant, causing many deaths.

Greatest year ever. The best.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > (Quote)
    > Aren't the last two lobi ships that don't have a T6 version the Hirogen Apex, and Advanced Obelisk?
    >
    > I also wonder if/when we will see T6 versions of the like 6-7 or so lockbox ships that don't have a T6 version yet. I find it weird that most of the remaining on T6 ships from the Lobi store/lockboxes that aren't T6 are DQ race ships.

Correct for Hirogen Apex and Advanced Obelisk Lobi Store Ships . For the other 6-7 others, I assume you mean non-Mirror T5s like the Malon Battlecrusier, Nihydron Destroyer, APU Crusier, Tholian Meshweaver, Sphere Builder Arehbus, Lukari Scout Ship, and the Hirogen Hunter?

Except for the Hirogen Hunter, which was a Lockbox Ship and would get a T6 treatment, the rest were all released as Upgrade Module T5s after T6 Ships were introduced. As that seems to be a deliberate act, I'm not sure that they would ever get a T6 Upgrade treatment.

T5Us aren't useless even if there is no real point to them now, unlike around DR's time period. Of course who picks these ship up deliberately now? I'd say they are pretty unwanted unless someone feels like filling out their admiralty roster further. They obviously aren't making more T5s to stuff into boxes. Making them into T6s would require a little work, but it could let them market these old ships as new again, as actually desirable options.
  • Options
    lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »

Really had a good laugh with that, thanks for sharing

> @somtaawkhar said:
    > (Quote)
    >

T5Us aren't useless even if there is no real point to them now, unlike around DR's time period. Of course who picks these ship up deliberately now? I'd say they are pretty unwanted unless someone feels like filling out their admiralty roster further. They obviously aren't making more T5s to stuff into boxes. Making them into T6s would require a little work, but it could let them market these old ships as new again, as actually desirable options.

Depends heavily on if there is a T6 version - Advanced Obelisk is one of my most used(and my first) true carrier. That said if there was a T6 I would try get it as replacement
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »

Should have been a dual ship, you can unpack it as the Inquiry or the Romulan Warbird from Picard, and there you have something that justifies to be in the R&D promotion box.. it would still be complains, but at least would have added worth..

That is an excellent idea & would've been well served had Cryptic thought of that or something similar & actually done it thereby serving all of their STO community!

Also, side-note I recently saw on a YouTube video reviewing this Inquiry's release that in the past that Thomas Marrone had stated & even in their online magazine detailing ships how the Gagarin is the successor to the Avenger/Arbiter so not sure if Cryptic really even cares anymore.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    While the ship looks good *shrugs* (one can make a pretty cool ship combining elements from all 3) and Cryptic did a good job recreating it in the game, I'm not much of a fan of the concept that regular 'run of the mill' faction specific ships are now turning into promo box items.

Unique and/or rare alien designs? Ok.
    Rare iconic/unique faction specific ships from the shows? Fine, to a much lesser degree, but fine...

But your everyday regular faction specific ships ending up in promo boxes, etc. just doesn't still all that well with me, or my will to spend.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    ishigami2ishigami2 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    Can‘t say I care to much for the ship. It is fugly.

I just wonder did they release any Picard content for space in an attainable manner?
    - Not that I care for that show in any way, that is also why I haven’t been paying attention to it in STO.
    That freighter thing was promo box as well wasn’t it? And the T’liss was only in an expensive bundle.

Admirals Oh’s Warbird I assume will be in a Picard lock box of some manner because we haven’t had that yet...
  • Options
    Admiral Oh's flagship, and the Romulan warbirds from Picard, would make sense to release in a lockbox given that they are Tal Shiar vessels, and not typical Romulan ships.

It is kinda sweet of you to go with whatever made up rule Cryptic has set for themselves which they then TRIBBLE on if convenient.
    Lets be real: Anything in lock boxes goes there because it makes Cryptic more money.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »

Should have been a dual ship, you can unpack it as the Inquiry or the Romulan Warbird from Picard, and there you have something that justifies to be in the R&D promotion box.. it would still be complains, but at least would have added worth..

That is an excellent idea & would've been well served had Cryptic thought of that or something similar & actually done it thereby serving all of their STO community!

Also, side-note I recently saw on a YouTube video reviewing this Inquiry's release that in the past that Thomas Marrone had stated & even in their online magazine detailing ships how the Gagarin is the successor to the Avenger/Arbiter so not sure if Cryptic really even cares anymore.

The more i think about it, people would have sell an arm and a leg to get those ships if they would have done it.. but ohh, well... They did it with the Universe/Durgath/Valkis, why not this time?, and the Romulans would have a very nice MW ship of their own! Also, they would have double earnings for those ships... what they where thinking? :neutral:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Admiral Oh's flagship, and the Romulan warbirds from Picard, would make sense to release in a lockbox given that they are Tal Shiar vessels, and not typical Romulan ships.
    > (Quote)
    > People said we would never get a T6 Vo'Quv, or Caitain ship, yet here we are.
    >
    > While there's plenty of ships from Trek canon that aren't in STO, a great deal of them are those generic "model reuse" ships that got used for like 10+ different alien species, which Cryptic seems in no hurry to make. I would be surprised if we don't see these T5 lockbox ships get made in T6 at some point, simply because there's really not many more viable ships for Cryptic to add, and they have already made T6 versions of most of the ships people really wanted T6.

You miss the point. The Atrox and Vo'Quv were released as end game ships when T5s were end game. Those ships I mentioned above were specifically made as T5s after T6 was already here. And I said because of that I'm not sure not that they never would make them T6s.

The Hirogen Hunter was also released as an end game T5 main prize Lockbox Ship, again when T5 was end game.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Admiral Oh's flagship, and the Romulan warbirds from Picard, would make sense to release in a lockbox given that they are Tal Shiar vessels, and not typical Romulan ships.
    > (Quote)
    > People said we would never get a T6 Vo'Quv, or Caitain ship, yet here we are.
    >
    > While there's plenty of ships from Trek canon that aren't in STO, a great deal of them are those generic "model reuse" ships that got used for like 10+ different alien species, which Cryptic seems in no hurry to make. I would be surprised if we don't see these T5 lockbox ships get made in T6 at some point, simply because there's really not many more viable ships for Cryptic to add, and they have already made T6 versions of most of the ships people really wanted T6.

You miss the point. The Atrox and Vo'Quv were released as end game ships when T5s were end game. Those ships I mentioned above were specifically made as T5s after T6 was already here. And I said because of that I'm not sure not that they never would make them T6s.

The Hirogen Hunter was also released as an end game T5 main prize Lockbox Ship, again when T5 was end game.

The Hirogen is the last lockbox to not get a T6 upgrade, and I think it has to do with how it was the worst lockbox sales wise that cryptic ever did. Probably they didn't feel like it was worth the investment to upgrade it to T6.

Will we still get a T6 version of it? Probably, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised either if it never did, like why waste resources on a ship that the previous version nobody wanted and nobody bought.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    Literally what are you even talking about? All I said was that it would make sense, not that they wouldn't possibly do something different.

I’m criticizing you for trying to justify a business decision with made up stuff like “it is Tal Shiar”.

A ship being added to promo or lock box has nothing to do with whatever this ship is in the fictional universe and everything with how useful it is for Cryptic to generate real revenue.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    ishigami2 wrote: »
    Literally what are you even talking about? All I said was that it would make sense, not that they wouldn't possibly do something different.

I’m criticizing you for trying to justify a business decision with made up stuff like “it is Tal Shiar”.

A ship being added to promo or lock box has nothing to do with whatever this ship is in the fictional universe and everything with how useful it is for Cryptic to generate real revenue.

Yeah, I think that much is proven now.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    ishigami2 wrote: »

I wasn't trying to justify it by saying it was Tal Shiar, I was pointing out that previous Tal Shiar ships were in lockboxes, so it would make sense. That's not a justification, its pointing out a fact.

Also, we do know CBS mandates certain ships to be rare for various stupid reasons, which is why no alien ship like a Tholian, or Undine, ship has been available in the C-store. And why there wasn't a T6 C-store connie for years, and why the only T6 Connie to be in the C-store was part of an expensive bundle that only lasted a limited time.

Always defending the Devs no matter what...that argument kinda goes out the window when the Connies are on the c-store...even if they're in a recurring pack they're still easily obtainable. The Devs could have done a Legendary pack like the T'liss if they didn't want to list it at 3k (could have included the pre-resignation Picard uniform and I'm sure people would have ate it up at 10k zen)

But nope, went the greed path and you're sitting here justifying their greed...nothing else to it.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    The rule for how things are sold or given away in this game is simple: What will make the most money for Cryptic?

I know this comes as a surprise to some of you, but Cryptic Studios is a business. They have to pay for the facility they occupy; they have to pay for their internet connectivity; they have to pay for the server farm, such as it is; they have to pay salaries to all of their employees, whether programmers, artists, or the guy who sweeps up after everyone leaves; and I can only have nightmares about their electric bills.

If you want things to happen in STO, they have to make money. Sometimes they will make money in a fashion of which you personally disapprove. If enough people disapprove of it, profit will not be made, and the method will change. If it continues, that means they're making money on it, not that they dislike you personally.

If all of this disappoints you, by all means, work however you can to move our society past a scarcity economy. I will do everything in my rather limited power to support your efforts! Until then, though, the situation is as it is. We don't actually live in Star Trek, we just play there.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    The rule for how things are sold or given away in this game is simple: What will make the most money for Cryptic?

I know this comes as a surprise to some of you, but Cryptic Studios is a business. They have to pay for the facility they occupy; they have to pay for their internet connectivity; they have to pay for the server farm, such as it is; they have to pay salaries to all of their employees, whether programmers, artists, or the guy who sweeps up after everyone leaves; and I can only have nightmares about their electric bills.

If you want things to happen in STO, they have to make money. Sometimes they will make money in a fashion of which you personally disapprove. If enough people disapprove of it, profit will not be made, and the method will change. If it continues, that means they're making money on it, not that they dislike you personally.

If all of this disappoints you, by all means, work however you can to move our society past a scarcity economy. I will do everything in my rather limited power to support your efforts! Until then, though, the situation is as it is. We don't actually live in Star Trek, we just play there.

I know this may come as a surprise, but there is actually no need for scarcity to be involved when dealing with virtual assets.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    Oh, and 'real life' doesn't exist. There is space in this game and that's the final frontier. Nothing thus exists beyond the game.

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    jonsills wrote: »

False. Lockboxes make more money that standard ship sales, so by your "rule" everything would be put in lockboxes. However, they seem to realize then can't "get away" with that.

So the question is not simply what will make the most money in each individual instance, but what ratio of lockbox to normal ship sales they think people will "put up" with vs potentially driving people away.

This is the first time (that I can think of) that they have put a "normal" faction ship(meaning not supposed to be rare and not from a past or future time period or alternate timeline/universe) in a lock box. Something has apparently changed in regards to this specific ship that has never happened before.

What that "thing" is (that has changed) is the question.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    This is the first time (that I can think of) that they have put a "normal" faction ship(meaning not supposed to be rare and not from a past or future time period or alternate timeline/universe) in a lock box. Something has apparently changed in regards to this specific ship that has never happened before.
    Technically, Crossfield class ships were a ship class that existed before the invention of the spore drive, and only two of them got fitted for spore drives, so the Crossfield was an otherwise generic ship type, and its only in a lockbox.

Likewise, the Xindi have been part of the Federation for over 100 years by the time of STO, so Xindi ships are Federation species ships, and aren't in the C-Store with other Fed species ships like the Vulcan, Andorian, Tellerite, or Caitain ships.

Xindi ones may end up there though. The Reptilian ship is already in the Mudd store.

I doubt they're ever going to do that with promo ships.

Also, an Andorian shuttle is currently not available and the Vulcan ship that was part of an event (forgot which one tbh) was never put in the regular C-store at regular prices either.

This discussion has been closed.