Options

(redacted)

jmarvell1821#5398 jmarvell1821 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
(flame/troll/gatekeeping post removed) - darkbladejk
Post edited by darkbladejk on

Comments

• Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    Riiighhhtttt. The devs explained here what actually occurred with the ship in Picard. As well as how in a sense it tied to STO. I have linked where it commences below.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/729553700?t=00h16m32s
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Chill out, OP.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    Chill out, OP.

I'd say the frustration is understandable when a small variation of an existing ship that complements other ones is sold as being a 'new ship' and then added in a promotion pack that can only be obtained by those willing to spend over $200.

Or have people lost all sense of money's worth that the outrage over such prices for a single item in a computer game isn't understood?

The pricing is ridiculous even by their own standards. As many pointed out: it's not any more special than a $30 C-store ship. For $200, you could obtain lifetime membership for your entire account. You could get an entire expansion pack that unlocks many things for the entire account.

Let's not pretend that any of this absurd pricing for a single item is even remotely defendable.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    Picard doesn't take place in an 'alternate universe.'
    Post edited by seaofsorrows on
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    PIcard doesn't take place in an 'alternate universe.'

I missed that line in the OPs comment. Just wow.

OP, come closer, thats right, right here so you can hear me.

Picard is canon, get over it.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    @darkbladejk

Gate keeper alert above. Also his other comments about foaming at the mouth.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    some seriously mentally ill gymantics to explain why the design wasn't precise and was at least 25% different.
    A. There is no need to call anyone mentally ill.

B. They changed it for the exact same reason they changed the Klingons back in the Motion Picture, because they had more money, they could, and they thought they looked better that way.

I am mentally ill and proud of it!
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    foxman00 wrote: »
    PIcard doesn't take place in an 'alternate universe.'

I missed that line in the OPs comment. Just wow.

OP, come closer, thats right, right here so you can hear me.

Picard is canon, get over it.

I don't think that's what he means, I mean it could be, but yes technically as far as we know at this moment, Picard takes place in a seperate universe from the game, some things from STO have made it into canon, like the Odyssey class, but Picard contradicts some events in game and if the second season goes through(It sounds like there's some behind the scenes trouble) then it will likely contradict more. Picard is indeed "canon" but its seperate from the game so you could say that it takes place in an alternate universe unlike all the other shows with STO was built around and could fit in with
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    millefune#8468 millefune Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    LOL, someone's really hurt over a TV Show. It's been said by the people that own and create Star Trek content that onscreen (Movie and TV) stuff is canonical. Kelvin Timeline is canon. It's an alternate timeline, but still canon. They said Picard is "Prime Universe" canon, whether someone likes it or not, it is. I wish Voyager wasn't canon, but it is. OP is acting like an angry Flat-Earther.
  • Options
    edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    The concept art that the ships were created from pre-dates STO's release, and was made for the Star Trek Online being developed by Perpetual Entertainment which got canceled and the non-code assets went to Cryptic who made the STO we play now. (STO historical info from Memory Alpha, Inquiry concept art info dating from the original STO comes from the Twitch stream.)

The concept art in question, of the Tahoe class USS Archer:
    https://whatculture.com/tv/20-incredible-star-trek-concept-art-designs-you-need-to-see-3?page=19
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    LOL, someone's really hurt over a TV Show. It's been said by the people that own and create Star Trek content that onscreen (Movie and TV) stuff is canonical. Kelvin Timeline is canon. It's an alternate timeline, but still canon. They said Picard is "Prime Universe" canon, whether someone likes it or not, it is. I wish Voyager wasn't canon, but it is. OP is acting like an angry Flat-Earther.

And yet, all that rabbid Warsie-like propaganda has already been dis-proven. What you wish, and what is provable through legal facts, and evidence from observation, are two different things. And again, for the millionth time, there's no such thing as "prime universe". That was propaganda CBS created to draw in new people, and make them think the canon universe was apart of all that post-Abrams garbage. There's the canon universe and the others which are all separate universes even between themselves. TRIBBLE is separate from STP, And Abrams Universe is separate from those as well. So ENOUGH.

The Prime Universe for Star Trek is from the Time Travel aspect. Remove that aspect of it, and the real time line takes over. Earth just wouldn't exist in it. Which makes Star Trek an alternate universe to the actual time line of the galaxy. So you have the Alpha time line, where Earth gets destroyed, and a Prime Universe where it get saved.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    (redacted material quote removed) - darkbladejk

Wow dude relax and be glad that life does not seem to confront you with any real problems. 😏
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    Quite the interesting thread this has become.
    some seriously mentally ill gymantics to explain why the design wasn't precise and was at least 25% different.
    A. There is no need to call anyone mentally ill.

B. They changed it for the exact same reason they changed the Klingons back in the Motion Picture, because they had more money, they could, and they thought they looked better that way.

Yeah, they had so much more money, they needed to copy paste the same ship.

Where'd all that money go?
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    You don't need a lot of money anyway, to create a proper virtual fleet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED-YjeKywZc

No matter what people say, that fleet in the finale was just cheap and facepalm-worthy. Whoever came up with and greenlighted this, they need to feel ashamed for maintaining a very unprofessional attitude.

• Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    A few things. First up, stop with the gatekeeping. Like it or not as it is right now, Discovery, Enterprise, TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Picard all take place in the same universe, the prime universe. Until CBS says otherwise that's how it is. You're not required to like all the various series we have, nor are you required to like all of the characters in them. However simply because you personally don't like it doesn't mean that others are wrong for liking it, nor does it automatically make it a bad series. No one in here, myself included, is the sole deciding factor as to what is good and what is bad. If folks want to debate the merits of something else to do with one of the shows, take it to 10 Forward and keep it civil.

Second, the Inquiry being a promo ship keeps with their already established conventions as to whether something goes in the lobi store, cstore, lockboxes or promo packs. Virtually every single ship that is a hybrid spec ship has ended up in the promo packs. Tzen-tar, Vaadwaur Juggernaut, Discovery Constitution/D7, Section 31 Heavy Command Battlecruiser, and La Sirena, are some prime examples of this. They all have at least a Lt Cmdr seat of on specialization and a Lt seat of another spec as a minimum. The Inquiry has A LT Cmdr Uni/Intel and a Cmdr Eng/Miracle worker. This puts it in line with something like the Juggernaut. Because of this, the ship was always going to end up in the promo packs for better or worse. Folks don't have to like the fact that it went in the promo boxes, as I'm not fond of it either, but it's kept with certain conventions. Folks aren't required to like it, but it is what it is. You have the option to fork over cash if you want it, or abstain if you don't.

Third, put down the flamethrowers. /closed
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.