test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Suggestion] New Freighters Available

midevilchaos#4670 midevilchaos Member Posts: 379 Arc User
I like the idea of a Freighter. I think, however, that Cryptic missed the mark here because of two flaws:

- Freighters should be T6 (but less powerful than standard ships. Or as powerful, but with 1 less weapon). No reason for them to be T4
- I was hoping to get an actual Freighter. I love being able to view msgs and go to the bank or even buy stuff from the exchange. BUT, I would ALSO love to be able to purchase special items, normal items or very specific items there. It's a freighter after all.

Otherwise, I do like the Freighter.

EDIT 1:
And as Garaffe suggested: "Give Republic and Dominion Captains their own freighters."
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Another freighter suggestion:

GIVE REPUBLIC AND DOMINION CAPTAINS THEIR OWN FACTION FREIGHTERS.
  • midevilchaos#4670 midevilchaos Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    Touché.
    :D I like the idea of freighters. I like even more the idea of freighter story missions (like The Vault is a shuttle mission) or even a freighter TFO.
    That would be hilarious... 10 freighters against a Romulan armada!
    westmetals wrote: »

There used to be a "Shuttle Weekend" event which included a 20-player shuttle-only version of the Starbase Fleet Defense TFO. (It would auto force you into using your shuttle). The bad guys still had full size starships though.

That event hasn't been run in at least two years, though.

Never paid attention to that. That's sorta cool :)

There used to be a "Shuttle Weekend" event which included a 20-player shuttle-only version of the Starbase Fleet Defense TFO. (It would auto force you into using your shuttle). The bad guys still had full size starships though.

I am not even sure that TFO is available on Xbox. It was not a good TFO because, like the non-shuttle version, the 20-person instance was extremely laggy and would often freeze.

I was more thinking of a 5-person TFO where your convoy is being attacked by Naussicans pirates. You fight them off, but an increasing number of them keep warping in. Eventually when it becomes too much, you are prompted to flee into an asteroid fied where you have to avoid getting hit by asteroids and the occasional high yield disruptor torpedo fired at you from outside the asteroid field. As you fly through the asteroid field, your ship gets automatically repaired, and when you get to the other side, the Enterprise, Bortasqu, and Lleiset warp in to help you finish off the pirates.

Maybe that would be better as a story mission rather than a TFO.
  • qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User

Never paid attention to that. That's sorta cool :)

It was cool until you did it once and got popped like a soap-bubble 10+ times. Then it wasn't. Also why I hate the two missions in the Romulan story that force you into shuttles. Thank goodness for the "Skip" button.

All that aside, doing a standard difficulty TF in a freighter geared out with UR mk XIII+ gear is doable. For the laughs, I've done the current unfailable Kobayashi Maru scenario that way, in my trusty freighter, the Kobayashi Haru. :p
    garaffe wrote: »

I am not even sure that TFO is available on Xbox. It was not a good TFO because, like the non-shuttle version, the 20-person instance was extremely laggy and would often freeze.

I was more thinking of a 5-person TFO where your convoy is being attacked by Naussicans pirates. You fight them off, but an increasing number of them keep warping in. Eventually when it becomes too much, you are prompted to flee into an asteroid fied where you have to avoid getting hit by asteroids and the occasional high yield disruptor torpedo fired at you from outside the asteroid field. As you fly through the asteroid field, your ship gets automatically repaired, and when you get to the other side, the Enterprise, Bortasqu, and Lleiset warp in to help you finish off the pirates.

Maybe that would be better as a story mission rather than a TFO.

The 20-players-in-shuttles version was only available during the special Shuttle Events, which as I mentioned, there has not been any in the last two years plus. (The last one was before the 8th Anniversary when the Bajoran Interceptor ship came out. I'm not sure exactly how long before that.)

The "standard" version of the TFO is a 5-player one. It still exists on PC, I don't know about consoles. (It's not in the random selection and gives fleet marks only, I believe.)

The event version of the TFO was unchanged from the standard version as far as the bad guys were concerned, it's just different that the good guys have 20 shuttles instead of 5 full size starships. ;)

EDIT: I had the name of the TFO wrong. It's not "Starbase Fleet Defense" (which also exists), it's "(faction) Fleet Alert". https://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_Fleet_Alert

I had forgotten but according to the wiki, there was also a Shuttle Event version of "Storming the Spire".

What is the Voth ship called? The Citadel, I think. Good luck pitting 5 shuttles against that thing at the end XD

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    Necro /thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.