test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Inquiry class(Riker's ship) from Picard is coming to a promo-pack near you!

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
It was shown/announced on tonight's livestream. Here are some pics from reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/ilizh4/the_next_lockbox_ship_is_rikers_ship_from_the/

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    Wonder if it was a decree from CBS or something.
    Meh... I'm still more interested in the Discovery D7.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I'd rather have the Titan honestly.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > (Quote)
    > Wouldn't surprise me. We know CBS slaps random decrees on a lot of things.

IDK, it seems like your talking about "the old days" of STO. These days it seems more like "anything goes"; any timeline, any ship, any uniform, any weapon etc; regardless of whether it "makes sense" in the game's storyline or not.

Or do you have any recent examples of dev statements about recent CBS decrees?
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    Personally I have no qualms about it being lockbox since it a yawner of a design I would be unlikely to buy anyway. So far it seems the PIC designs are even worse than the DSC ones, and that is really saying something.
  • ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    can't believe that design was used in a major t.v production it's ugly not Yeager Class ugly but still not my cup of tea

At least with it being rare it won't end up filling social areas and TFO's as a copy and paste Fleet 😁
    Post edited by ussvaliant2#1952 on
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
    edited September 2020
    Personally I have no qualms about it being lockbox since it a yawner of a design I would be unlikely to buy anyway. So far it seems the PIC designs are even worse than the DSC ones, and that is really saying something.

Yeah, this isn't a ship I'm interested in either. But sometimes the problem isn't whether you want it this time or not, but what it says about next time (which you might want).

Supposedly we were under some kind of impression that ships only went a lockbox if they were:

A: from a different species/faction

B: from a different era(past/future)

C: from a different timline(kelvin, mirror, etc)

D. something that is supposed to be rare in-universe

This ship is essentially from the same time period as STO and it's apparently mass produced and not even supposed to be rare. So this ship basically tosses all of those old "rules" out the window and means they will put any "normal" Fed ships in lockboxes from now on.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    Wow, it's literally an Promotion! version of the Arbiter. Not figuratively, or basically, but literally. It can use the Avenger and Arbiter costume parts, and its console is part of the Arbiter/Avenger set as a new three-piece.

Pics from /u/53898072-c82b-4238 on Reddit:
    unknown.png
    unknown.png

A C-Store ship line just got made into a Promotion ship...
    Or do you have any recent examples of dev statements about recent CBS decrees?
    Cryptic has repeatedly stated that the reason why there are no Kelpians(playable or otherwise) in STO is because CBS said no every time they asked. According to what Al Rivera has said, the reason why is because there was going to be a plot element in S2 of Discovery that would make including them impossible, but that story got changed. CBS still hasn't said yes however. At least, not that Cryptic has mentioned. Hence the continued lack of Kelpians.

As you mentioned that seems to be for an actual story reason. Not "random", like you said in your previous post.

Also, when Kael was showing off the new DS9 for ViL on the livestreams, someone asked if it would be possible to jump over the bar from the promenade into Quarks Bar, since Quarks is no longer a separate map like it was in the old DS9, and the answer given was "CBS said no", and lo and behold, you can't. Or at least couldn't, don't know if its been changed recently but you couldn't just two months ago.

Yeah, that does seem more "random" than the example above.

CBS had said no to playable androids in the past, because they wanted Data's accomplishments in Starfleet to remain unique. And, IIRC, Cryptic mentioned they asked not too long after Picard ended if we could get playable androids, owning to the fact there is now an entire colony of them under Federation protection, and CBS still said no.

This seems like another "story reason" to me. As in, we don't actually know what is going to happen to that colony. Will the Roms try to wipe it out in the next season? Will the androids leave and travel or stay there in seclusion? So no that doesn't seem like a "random" decree but for an actual potential story reason.

But yeah, out of those 3 examples the DS9 thing does seem kind of "random".

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I heard that CBS brought Les Moonves back so he could steer the Executive Board into saying that this should be a Promotion Ship. ;)

I'm sorry but Cryptic jumped the shark on this one. As Nagus succinctly layed out above a Federation 'contemporary' era ubiquitous ship IN NO WAY fits the criteria for a Promotion Ship, even a Lockbox or Lobi Ship for that matter.

This stinks of a cash grab to close out the third fiscal quarter. They have lost all sense of reason on pricing (for Mudd's Market and other Bundles). The Weekly Patches are barely more than a couple of items, a counterpoint to the effort Cryptic Neverwinter Developers are undertaking.

When I first saw the announcement of the Twitch Stream to announce a new Promotion Ship, I thought the Cerritos couldn't possibly be worthy of that treatment. I didn't imagine this, however. It too isn't either.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    Unfortunately seems par the course for Cryptics downward spiral of how they release ships, been just lockbox lockbox promo promo legendary pack legendary pack promo lockbox. The carriers are the first basic c-store release this year aren't they and in August?

I mean they did say when they put playable borg ships in the game it was going downhill (later said NONO we meant Cubes!! KEEP BUUUYYYIIING)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited September 2020

Yeah, this isn't a ship I'm interested in either. But sometimes the problem isn't whether you want it this time or not, but what it says about next time (which you might want).

Supposedly we were under some kind of impression that ships only went a lockbox if they were:

A: from a different species/faction

B: from a different era(past/future)

C: from a different timline(kelvin, mirror, etc)

D. something that is supposed to be rare in-universe

This ship is essentially from the same time period as STO and it's apparently mass produced and not even supposed to be rare. So this ship basically tosses all of those old "rules" out the window and means they will put any "normal" Fed ships in lockboxes from now on.

All good points.

I wouldn't pay $5 for this ship (the ugly, it burns!) but by the rules they've used up until now it should be C-Store. "Cash grab" does seem appropriate unless CBS decides that Picard will be retconned out of the prime timeline because the ratings were so low.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    2) So...we get 1 c-store bundle per year it is than?
    2 actually. The legendary ship bundle for the anniversary, and the carrier bundle we just got.

Cryptic has mentioned earlier in the year that the lack of C-store releases was because the legendary ship bundle took up a large amount of their C-store ship budget for the year.

And probably 3, as I still think there is going to be a KDF legendary bundle before the end of the year. Of course, I'm also ready to be disappointed :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    coldnapalm wrote: »

3) WHY is this ship a promo ship?!?

Allow me to take that one..

It's a new money making scheme from Cryptic.. and no, I am not kidding.

This ship is a promo box Starship Trait.

That's right.. they put a Trait on it that everyone would want in hopes that would drive it as a promo box ship..

The Trait is Emergency Weapon Cycle only for Emergency Power to Shields.. and..

it stacks with Emergency Weapon Cycle.

This will make it an uber insane DPS Combo.. and they just threw the ship in as packaging. Cryptic is trying their hand and Promo Box Ship Traits.

There is no low this money grubbing studio won't sink to.

As a 'Filthy DPS'er,' no.. I am drawing the line here. I won't buy Promo Box ships for Traits alone.. no way.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    A, as recent canon established, stock standard Starfleet vessel as promo-pack gamble ship? :P

Can whomever decided that spell "dignity" without dying from embarrassment? ;)
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    1: Wait until season One of the most recent show ends and then create a thread in Galatic News Network (back in March) asking the question "What do you most want to see from Picard?"

And that's why creators should not make polls via social media. It backfires very hard 99% of the time.

The ship itself is... fine I guess. The ingame-model looks good, but first of all, it looks like a better Imperial-class-skin, second, it's a very bland and very basic design. It's C-store-material at best.

And who had the idea to tack on a third-piece bonus for the old battlecruiser-set? Couldn't you have made this a legendary battlecruiser instead? Even with skins for the KDF and RR-versions?
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    It will backfire on Cryptic/PWE too in terms of sales. Some players will of course want to have it, others will just open infinity-boxes for older, more popular ships.

Freedom-class isn't popular (despite being pretty good).

Jellyfish is rare too, despite being decent.

La Sirena wasn't very popular either afaik.

Oddly enough, I've also seen only like one or two of the S31 swarm-cruisers, even though that one is pretty cool actually.

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    L. O. L. That is all.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    NOT INTERESTED AT ALL!! Year of Klingon is just about to kick off on console ........ and this was their choice? I mean we also recently had the boost a Romulan to max level option, so why not Commodore Oh's warbird??
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    1: Wait until season One of the most recent show ends and then create a thread in Galatic News Network (back in March) asking the question "What do you most want to see from Picard?"

And that's why creators should not make polls via social media. It backfires very hard 99% of the time.

The ship itself is... fine I guess. The ingame-model looks good, but first of all, it looks like a better Imperial-class-skin, second, it's a very bland and very basic design. It's C-store-material at best.

And who had the idea to tack on a third-piece bonus for the old battlecruiser-set? Couldn't you have made this a legendary battlecruiser instead? Even with skins for the KDF and RR-versions?

Backfired on who? Only US, I'd say. Again - I really don't think that anyone who asked for ships from Picard was actually hoping they'd be Infinity Promotion ships.

As for the ship itself...... yeah, to be honest the general opinion of the class, when first seen, was that it was a cheap, quickly thrown together, rush job. The STO model naturally reflects that, as can be seen in the images in this link:
    https://imgur.com/a/mNwv1Ge
    I mean, what the heck is this mess?: GXunAEw.jpeg
    Is that supposed to be a deflector? It just looks like whoever designed the ship decided not to bother since that part of the ship wouldn't be visible in the episode and lost interest!

Also, the shape of the secondary hull is just odd. No, this ship looks like a placeholder indeed - the already existing Avenger/Arbiter are much better and should have just gotten the skin for free...​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    A broken laggy game with limited end-game content now promoting standard starfleet ships as promo box material, ha!

Of course it would have a highly desirable ship console that I bet is ship universal given the other two became that way unchracteristically, and some really good starship trait.

I bet further down the line there will be an inferior version of the ship for 6,000 zen limited time sale bundled with some 'mistakenly advertised keys' that will be omitted, and other minor things to try to justify more than double the price for a single C-Store ship.

Again, this game does not have the gameplay, the polish, a viable network experience, or a proper end-game material to justify these gamble rates and prices.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    Looks like a small variation on the Arbiter.

Probably not worth it, given the insane prices (over $200 for one item in a game? You could buy like 8 or 10 games with that amount of money).
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    Oh, btw, in case people haven't seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED-YjeKywZc

Description (from one of the comments) : See how easy it is Kurtzman, a fan on youtube fixed your million dollar mess.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    USS Million Dollar Mess.

That might actually be appropriate. On multiple levels.

This discussion has been closed.