test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What would YOU add to Star Trek Online

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    There's plenty of Enterprise missions.

We have an entire Temporal Cold War arc with the Na'Kuhl, Sphere Builders, Delphic Expanse, Daniels, the mysterious Future Guy(aka The Envoy aka Noye), the Battle of Procyon V. All of that is exclusively from Enterprise, and was the major sotry arc of the show's first 3 seasons.

Wonder if they mean being able to interact with Enterprise era personnel, maybe getting Bakula to reprise his role as Archer...
    Although I don't see how we'd interact with the NX-01 outside of hiding from her...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,261 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Wonder if they mean being able to interact with Enterprise era personnel, maybe getting Bakula to reprise his role as Archer...
    > Although I don't see how we'd interact with the NX-01 outside of hiding from her...

NX-01 isn't that big of an issue as they're already aware of the existance of temporal agents, everyone in that period is another matter.
    Not only that... we had primer material for the Earth-Romulan War, but show got canceled so all we really got was that Drone ship.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Not only that... we had primer material for the Earth-Romulan War, but show got canceled so all we really got was that Drone ship.
    Yeah, we really don't know anything about the Romulan war besides the fact they, according to TOS, threw nukes at each other across the neutral zone. Its not like the Fed/Klingon War in Discovery where we see multiple battles, people involved in the war, and exotic tech like the spore drive, to make an in-game story arc out of.

the only thing from Enterprise I could see being added at this point was that automated ship repair station that kidnapped people. and even that would be for like a Halloween mission, or a patrol, or something, and not a full story arc.

They didn't throw long range nuclear missiles at each other across the neutral zone (in fact it didn't exist until the treaty that ended the war created it), they fought with ships armed like the NX was in the pilot, with nuclear missiles and either lasers or something similar (ENT went with plasma cannons instead of laser beams for aesthetic reasons). Some of the higher Paramount executives insisted that they drag in all of the modern stuff instead of using already established information, so the production people complied but disguised it as much as possible with silly names like "photonic torpedo".
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Apparently there are some books ('apparently' because I have not read them, but Memory Beta is quite informative) that dealt with the Earth-Romulan war.

There's stuff like blowing up dilithium mines of Coridan by flying warbirds at warp into the planet, turning it into one big inferno.

It is why I'm not that interested in the Earth-Romulan war. More destruction of entire worlds, more death and all that in a Federation that, if things were a bit realistic, should not be able to suffer so much damage.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User

We have an entire Temporal Cold War arc with the Na'Kuhl, Sphere Builders, Delphic Expanse, Daniels, the mysterious Future Guy(aka The Envoy aka Noye), the Battle of Procyon V. All of that is exclusively from Enterprise, and was the major sotry arc of the show's first 3 seasons.

Wonder if they mean being able to interact with Enterprise era personnel, maybe getting Bakula to reprise his role as Archer...
    Although I don't see how we'd interact with the NX-01 outside of hiding from her...

Maybe a mission into the Mirror Universe to prevent Archer from capturing the Defiant from the Tholians to prevent Empress Sato from becoming the Emperor of the Terran Empire.
    jcsww wrote: »

Maybe a mission into the Mirror Universe to prevent Archer from capturing the Defiant from the Tholians to prevent Empress Sato from becoming the Emperor of the Terran Empire.

That would be a nice mission but I doubt that they would want to negate DSC since they have so much invested in it now.
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    I think it's time to refresh some gameplay elements.

The Endeavor System created some incentives to replay missions, TFOs, and patrols.

I'd like to see more incentives to replay. Add RNG-based drops for unique equipment and weapons, like looter-shooters.
    Apparently there are some books ('apparently' because I have not read them, but Memory Beta is quite informative) that dealt with the Earth-Romulan war.

There's stuff like blowing up dilithium mines of Coridan by flying warbirds at warp into the planet, turning it into one big inferno.

It is why I'm not that interested in the Earth-Romulan war. More destruction of entire worlds, more death and all that in a Federation that, if things were a bit realistic, should not be able to suffer so much damage.

Of course they could suffer so much damage if inflicted by an enemy that cares nothing for Federation ideals. Earth and the members of the federation amy have embraced peace and harmony, but the rest of the galaxy is an entirely different animal all together.

What I meant was, that the Federation had far fewer members, their tech was less advanced, the concept of co-operation between dozens of worlds unproven.

It would have seemed unrealistic to me if they were able to incur heavy losses, have planets burning and huge amount of resources lost, losing allies, missing out on species joining the coalition and later the Federation... And still win regardless of all these things.

As said, I haven't read the books but given how few books, movies etc. succeed in writing realistic conflicts (or even paying basic attention to the numbers of ships etc. involved), I doubt I'd be pleasantly surprised.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    well, given realistically a single system contains enough raw mineral wealth to build hundreds upon hundreds of death star-sized objects (or at least sol does - the same may not be true of other systems, though i don't see why it wouldn't be), losing a planet to a lightspeed ramming attack shouldn't be THAT crippling...if anything, that would actually HELP the coalition, because it just opened new resource veins they wouldn't have been able to get to before

yeah, in addition to sci-fi authors having no sense of scale when it comes to space, they have no idea just how staggeringly incomprehensible the amount of material wealth a system's asteroids, moons and planets actually contain - to say nothing of a star if you have a means to harvest THAT​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.

Of course they could suffer so much damage if inflicted by an enemy that cares nothing for Federation ideals. Earth and the members of the federation amy have embraced peace and harmony, but the rest of the galaxy is an entirely different animal all together.

What I meant was, that the Federation had far fewer members, their tech was less advanced, the concept of co-operation between dozens of worlds unproven.

It would have seemed unrealistic to me if they were able to incur heavy losses, have planets burning and huge amount of resources lost, losing allies, missing out on species joining the coalition and later the Federation... And still win regardless of all these things.

As said, I haven't read the books but given how few books, movies etc. succeed in writing realistic conflicts (or even paying basic attention to the numbers of ships etc. involved), I doubt I'd be pleasantly surprised.

The way that book handled the war was obviously not the same way that TOS did or Styles would have had plenty to say about warbirds making kamikaze runs to burn off whole planets, and led with that instead of stressing how creepy it was that no one ever saw what they looked like. For that matter, that level of atrocity would have certainly made it into dialog in TNG too, but there was nothing about it at all.
    Stepping into the talk of the Earth-Romulan War again for a sec... I kinda like how it was handled in Star Trek Legacy.
    And they even had use of "Nuclear Weapons". However it wasn't throwing cruise missiles at the Romulans. It was using old Vulcan Mining Stations equipped with Fusion Reactors to disable huge numbers of Romulan warbirds with EMP as, unlike Starfleet ships, Romulan ships were NOT EM shielded. A mistake the Romulans paid for with scores of ships knocked out of the fight.

It was a desperation move by Starfleet because they didn't have the numbers to match the massive Romulan fleet heading for Earth. So Archer bated the Romulans to get close to those stations, and blew them up. And this was after the Romulans tried using bio-weapons on several worlds. Bio-weapons that Starfleet developed a counter for, beliving it to be a plague and thus wanted to help those infected.

And the photonic torpedoes probably weren't widespread through the fleet yet. Spacial Torpedos were probably still used a lot, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had nuclear warheads. Remember that Enterprise had to get an emergency refit to use the new torps because she was being sent into a very dangerous region. I doubt Starfleet had the facilities to refit their entire fleet the same way very quickly.
    Stepping into the talk of the Earth-Romulan War again for a sec... I kinda like how it was handled in Star Trek Legacy.
    And they even had use of "Nuclear Weapons". However it wasn't throwing cruise missiles at the Romulans. It was using old Vulcan Mining Stations equipped with Fusion Reactors to disable huge numbers of Romulan warbirds with EMP as, unlike Starfleet ships, Romulan ships were NOT EM shielded. A mistake the Romulans paid for with scores of ships knocked out of the fight.

It was a desperation move by Starfleet because they didn't have the numbers to match the massive Romulan fleet heading for Earth. So Archer bated the Romulans to get close to those stations, and blew them up. And this was after the Romulans tried using bio-weapons on several worlds. Bio-weapons that Starfleet developed a counter for, beliving it to be a plague and thus wanted to help those infected.

And the photonic torpedoes probably weren't widespread through the fleet yet. Spacial Torpedos were probably still used a lot, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had nuclear warheads. Remember that Enterprise had to get an emergency refit to use the new torps because she was being sent into a very dangerous region. I doubt Starfleet had the facilities to refit their entire fleet the same way very quickly.

Given that they had only one other warp 5-vessel being built (Columbia) and that there seemed to be only three ships present when Archer returned and Earth beefed up its security, they probably didn't have those facilities indeed.

Well... Starfleet was still really getting its footing. And I think they had other NX class ships being built, its just that Columbia was the next one to be finished, and United Earth didn't have the massive shipyard complexes like Utopia Planitia yet. They probably had the start of the San Fransisco Yards.

For all intents and purposes, United Earth was the equivelent of the fledgeling USA after the Revolutionary War. Fresh out if its crib, and already picking a fight with the local bullies while making friends with their neighbors.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    A T6 Nova, Olympic, Saber and Steamrunner. In that order, and with reworked canon models.
    I'd like to see more incentives to replay. Add RNG-based drops for unique equipment and weapons, like looter-shooters.
    The game had this years ago back in the Borg TFOs. There was a random chance you would get a piece of Borg tech that you could trade in for, what is now, the Borg reputation gear.

The system was near universally despised because it meant you could play the same piece of content a hundred times, and never get what you wanted, making doing it feel pointless, and like you wasted your time.

This is why,not only STO, but also most MMORPGs, have moved away from RNG based drops, and more into the system STO uses now where you always get the reward, in this case marks, so long as you complete the content.
    They didn't throw long range nuclear missiles at each other across the neutral zone
    http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/9.htm
    [Sickbay]

SPOCK [OC]: As you may recall from your histories, this conflict was fought,

[Engineering]

SPOCK [OC]: By our standards today, with primitive atomic weapons and in primitive space vessels

[Bridge]

SPOCK: Which allowed no quarter, no captives. Nor was there even ship-to-ship visual communication. Therefore, no human, Romulan, or ally has ever seen the other. Earth believes the Romulans to be warlike, cruel, treacherous, and only the Romulans know what they think of Earth.

Canon is canon.

And yes, the neutral zone didn't exist during the war, I just called it that because its easier to do so instead of saying "the area that would become the neutral zone after the war"

Canon is canon, true, and in Star Trek's case that does not include novels as hard canon (though a few VOY novels were briefly considered "soft canon" during that series run the same way the FASA game was earlier). While I have heard CBS has given that soft canon status to several recent non-video works, if the book you mention is the one I think it is then it is too old to be one of those.

And I am quite familiar with "Balance of Terror". In it they do mention nuclear weapons (and even use one) but they made no mention of interstellar cruise missiles or the like, just nukes that by context seem to be ship-to-ship tactical nuclear weapons.
    And I am quite familiar with "Balance of Terror". In it they do mention nuclear weapons (and even use one) but they made no mention of interstellar cruise missiles or the like, just nukes that by context seem to be ship-to-ship tactical nuclear weapons.

They never did go into detail on what the old Spatial Torpedos used for warheads in ENT.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    I am not sure how possible it is with current engine but I would love to be able to use a bridge view when playing. IF not in combat maps at least, for immersion's shake and far easier for them, would to be able to give a command to transwarp while sitting on captains chair, viewing a warp animation that ends in showing at the viewscreen the planet you reached. Yes wouldnt add to gameplay meta but would be good immersive thing to make you feel more in a Star Trek bridge
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    I am not sure how possible it is with current engine but I would love to be able to use a bridge view when playing. IF not in combat maps at least, for immersion's shake and far easier for them, would to be able to give a command to transwarp while sitting on captains chair, viewing a warp animation that ends in showing at the viewscreen the planet you reached. Yes wouldnt add to gameplay meta but would be good immersive thing to make you feel more in a Star Trek bridge

I believe that the Devs have explained that this is impossible. On ground maps your character is your captain, and in space your character is the ship itself. They cannot have you travel through space as your Captain from the bridge on a ground map, as your avatar is the ship itself while traveling from planet to planet.
    Or something along those lines anyways.
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    A refit system where I can slightly alter some of the stats of my ship to my own personal tastes.

Things like add/change weapons slots
    Alter boff seating
    Add/remove special abilities (like hangars or experimental weapons slots)

I dont need to be able to majorly alter it but maybe like add a weapon in exchange for a loss of total hull and/or shield streangth

Trade a weapon for a special slot

Change my lowest boff seat

Maybe even add a specialized boff seat
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
This discussion has been closed.