test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Preparing a character for deletion - are there any guides, or should I start one?

ltbazzltbazz Member Posts: 54 Arc User
Hello fine folks!

For the first time in my long STO career I want to delete a char.
(Please no discussion about "moar chars = better!")

And ofc I'd like to strip him off his assets for use on other chars as effectively as possible, beeing the good little Ferengi that we all are.

I have already done a ton of things and put a lot of thought into it.
But I didn't want to overlook something, so I searched for a guide on this topic - Forum, STOWiki, Google - but nothing.

So:
1) Do you know of any guide on this topic?
2) And if not - would you be interested for me to make one? Put my thoughts into writing?

LLAP

Best Answer

Answers

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    The only steps I can think of are to optimize the economic parts, like: Any worthwhile account bound gear to another char via the Account Bank, check DOffs for anything of value to mail to other alts or sell and donate any commons to your fleet (grinding down higher rarity is a pain, not worth it IMO if you're nuking a char), check all ships for gear including the Vanity slots, then vendor everything left, drop off the resulting EC in the Account Bank.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Dilithium.. mule all your refined to an alt using the Dilithium Exchange. If you have a large amount of unrefined, maybe wait until you can refine it to mule it over. Obviously, do the same for your EC.

Otherwise I think everything has been covered.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    May his/her soul rest in peace.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    Char bound items you can sell off to a vendor for credits, typically. Some just can't be transferred at all. You probably know, but if you go to a vendor and sell everything, whatever is leftover in your inventory afterwards is either marked as protected or can't be sold or transferred. I tend to protect my reputation gear to not accidentally sell or salvage it, but you'd want to sell it if you're deleting the character which of course means turning off protection. Make sure to check your RnD inventory as well.

Stripping ships is easiest if you drydock them as it strips everything automatically.

Make sure to turn in all your rep marks and elite marks for dilithium and refine it all if you can wait that long.

Check your BOFFs for gear too. I'm not sure if you can still save them too, or even want to, but it used to be you had to trade them to people to train them before BOFF manuals were a thing, but you'd want a second account or trusted friend to be safe doing that.
    Post edited by foxrockssocks on
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Makes sense. No one liked having to trade their BOFFs to someone else for training, and they've added a lot more unique/special access BOFFs since then too.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    I've done this dozens of times and recently halved my twin console accounts down to seven characters each. For me it can be time consuming transfering resources over to a succession of characters, but after I discard or sell items for credits, I just drop everything that I wish to maintain into my shared bank account. If the bank is filled to capacity and more remains, I move as much as possible to one of my guaranteed safe characters to hold for everyone else until needed.

Over time though, you will find that plenty of stuff that the game gives you either won't sell on the exchange or just isn't worth hanging on to. Frankly, sometimes when I initiate one of these purges, I just delete the whole mess without another glance.

Word to the wise, doing that without checking might cost you a ship that you forgot you gave to one of your turkeys. I admit to having done this a time or two as well, live and learn!
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Forgot about the fleet credits and boffs/doffs. I'll squeeze the JH scheduled for deletion dry for that.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • ltbazzltbazz Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    OK, thanks folks!
    Most of that I had already thought of.

But you didn't really answer my questions:
    1) Is there a guide somewhere, that I missed?
    2) And if not, is there demand for a guide?
    westmetals wrote: »
    I've never seen one. And yes, a guide/checklist would be helpful for others finding themselves in such situations.
    Okey-doo.

Will do then.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    thing that sucked for me is the toon I was getting rid of had a lobi ship. so that went away too, but i was not a fan of the ship anyway so i did not lose much sleep
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
    nixie50 wrote: »
    thing that sucked for me is the toon I was getting rid of had a lobi ship. so that went away too, but i was not a fan of the ship anyway so i did not lose much sleep

Yeah, that sucks!
    But it has always been this way.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    Trade all reputation marks for dil, unless you already have piles of unrefined that you're not willing to wait to refine.

Don't forget to check your ships for account-bound gear, including gear like the Aegis set that you might have hiding in visual slots instead of in the main gear slots.
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    I'm hard pressed to think of much else that's allready been gone over. Chuck everything you can into the account bank, credits, transfer all your dil, give your other toons doffs by way of mail. Just take your time and make sure you got everything before you pull the plug!
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    There are a couple of other things I can think of. Some characters made during special times, have the abilities to earn account-wide rewards. Temporal Operatives and whatever the other one was. You want to make sure that is this character you plan to delete, has completed the content for those bonuses. There are some decent rewards that unlock for fully completing them. I was tempted to delete my first Jem'Hadar character that I originally created because I bought the Gamma Starter Pack about a month ago. However, that character was created during the recruitment event, so it can earn special rewards that my new Jem'Hadar can't.