test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Lower Decks DOFF Portraits

2»

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Originals were better and fit the game. Now they just look terribly out of place. I guess the question now is whether the California class we eventually get will fit the aesthetics of the game or the show?

Probably the game, but may have a hull material that makes her look cell shaded like the show for those who want it to look that way.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Now that's quite a disturbing question..... That... thing... in the show, looks like someone slapped it together in under 5 minutes. I do not want that in STO.

To each their own. Just because one doesn't want it doesn't mean another won't either. *shrug*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    [will] the California class we eventually get will fit the aesthetics of the game or the show?
    Now that's quite a disturbing question..... That... thing... in the show, looks like someone slapped it together in under 5 minutes. I do not want that in STO.

I'm gonna get that......thing...when it comes out. :) I like it.

If I gotta deal with butt ugly Discovery ships in game, you are gonna have to deal with this. ;)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    So the last Episode of 'Lower Decks' had two California Class ships in it. They are going to become very ubiquitous in-Universe.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    So the last Episode of 'Lower Decks' had two California Class ships in it. They are going to become very ubiquitous in-Universe.

I think they may plan to make the Cali a workhorse. Maybe they phased out Mirandas in favor of the California class by the time of LD.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    more like the last one finally got blown up by something or other and starfleet needed a new redshirt ship​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

Yes, the other one had a blue stripe, being a more research oriented vessel pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    In the description for this weeks episode, Ensigns Ruthford and Tendi have starship envy when the Cerritos rendezvous with the more-advanced USS Vancouver. Wonder how original the Vancouver might be?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

I think they may plan to make the Cali a workhorse. Maybe they phased out Mirandas in favor of the California class by the time of LD.
    It kinda looks like a modified Miranda TBH.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    I think the California was inpsired by the Miranda, and fills the same roles as Mirandas, but isn't directly connected to it. The struts are too long, she's got that pod with the Deflector Dish attached to the nacelles, and no rollbar.

While there were variants without the rollbar, like the Saratoga at Wolf 359, she was still recognizable. And most derivitive designs of a class family tend to share elements linking them, like the Miranda and the Soyuz being built off the same spaceframe.

Honestly I'd say the California is kinda like the Nebula in a way. Inspired by, but not directly connected to, the Miranda. And it makes sense that we'd have something like the California replace the aging Miranda by 2380. Probably more flexable than the Miranda in terms of refit potential by now.

I think it's good we see more than one class of the hero ship. The writers are NOT insulting our intelligence! YAY!

Always bugged me when execs or other folks think the audience are brain dead, and HAVING to make 2 different ships on screen to avoid confusion.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    angrytarg wrote: »

Yes, the other one had a blue stripe, being a more research oriented vessel pig-1.gif​​

I like that too. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

I always thought of them as originally starting out as 'tugs, like the Ptolemy tugs from TOS, and these were the TNG equivalent. They later all got worked on to serve as general purpose ships, like the Utility Cruiser from AoY....could see the TOS version of California class being like those.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User

No. It really does not. The overall configuration of saucer and nacelle-placement are somewhat paralleled, but this has been done by other ships as well.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    [will] the California class we eventually get will fit the aesthetics of the game or the show?

If I gotta deal with butt ugly Discovery ships in game, you are gonna have to deal with this. ;)

The thing is, if you shorten the pilons a little, it would actually looks like a very cool ship..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I think the California was inpsired by the Miranda, and fills the same roles as Mirandas, but isn't directly connected to it. The struts are too long, she's got that pod with the Deflector Dish attached to the nacelles, and no rollbar.

While there were variants without the rollbar, like the Saratoga at Wolf 359, she was still recognizable. And most derivitive designs of a class family tend to share elements linking them, like the Miranda and the Soyuz being built off the same spaceframe.

Honestly I'd say the California is kinda like the Nebula in a way. Inspired by, but not directly connected to, the Miranda. And it makes sense that we'd have something like the California replace the aging Miranda by 2380. Probably more flexable than the Miranda in terms of refit potential by now.
    I kinda imagine it as "what if the Miranda had the rollbar between the nacelles?"
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    In a way it does look a bit like a Miranda built the Oberth in mind.

While it does look rather imbalanced the fact that impulse was retconned into a gravity field effect drive instead of the matter/antimatter emergency rockets they were in TOS means balance is irrelevant and there are already a lot of asymmetrical designs that are just as unbalanced as the California class.

The weirdest feature is actually the fact that the nacelles themselves seem to be very skinny and surrounded by a sheathe thick enough to have turbolift shafts in.
    gaevsman wrote: »

The thing is, if you shorten the pilons a little, it would actually looks like a very cool ship..

Pity the that never happened to the Crossfield..... >_>
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I like the Parliament class (USS Vancouver) a lot. Lower Decks even gets Starship aesthetics right, a great TNG style Miranda.

Even the California Class itself isn't bad at all. The nacelle-rollbar design isn't new either, you could argue that the Steamrunner tried that as well.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    I like the Parliament class (USS Vancouver) a lot. Lower Decks even gets Starship aesthetics right, a great TNG style Miranda.

Even the California Class itself isn't bad at all. The nacelle-rollbar design isn't new either, you could argue that the Steamrunner tried that as well.

The Parliament seems to be the T6 version of the California Class.. :lol:
    gaevsman wrote: »

Pity the that never happened to the Crossfield..... >_>

Well the mirror version have shorter nacelles, and looks quite good..

Not just the Steamrunner.
    latest?cb=20100212082642
    Early art for the Noble class variant of the Assault Cruiser had a nacelle mounted rollbar.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Does anyone even take time to look at Doff portraits?

I mean, when I get a new one, I sometimes look to see if there's a quote.

But usually there isn't so...
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    Do we get a picture of Robert Picardo for the EMH Mark I DOff portrait? No, we get a STO aesthetic version of him. Same with all real life actors that portrayed characters. All characters have their portraits used on BOff's or DOff's are stylized with STO aesthetics.

So the Lower Deck DOff's should also get a STO aesthetics version of them for their portraits. Not a goofy cartoon style.

My head cannon is that these goofs edited their own DOFF cards with a "Holographic Cartoon Filter" as a joke and they forgot that it was their permanent records, so now they have goofy cartoon avatar pictures because Beckett Mariner is a goofball.
    I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
This discussion has been closed.