test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Lower Decks DOFF Portraits

theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
I preferred the look they had at release. I mean yeah, now they look exactly like out of the show. But before it was a nice blend; they looked unique yet recognizable, but still kind of blended in with the rest of the game. At least on first glance; when you looked right at them you saw they where something special.

Besides their IMO better stylistic/artistic fit for the game they looked like some effort was put into them while now it looks a bit like a cheap copy/paste.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    enh... I get why the change happened though. It's a cross-promotion, so it looks like the thing being promoted.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    Tendi seemed like the only good looking one when they first came out, the rest were terrifying looking monsters that needed to be purged with fire, they didn't look good in 3D, I think their new redesign is way easier on the eyes, but a middle ground look would be preferable for most people, you know a design that's not too cartoony or too realistic but somewhere inbetween the two.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The new look obviously liiks like the show, yet it is a pretty strong breach of style. It looks like a mod for the base game, honestly pig-2.gif

I understand why and I'm not too bothered by it, but it doesn't really harmonize with the rest of the aesthetics.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    They match the actual show they're promoting which is really the way to go. People who are offended by the style choice can always delete those doffs and never worry about it again, which is a bonus to those who take issue with the choices CBS makes but don't have the option to avoid Discovery content.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    They match the actual show they're promoting which is really the way to go.

Yeah, pretty much. On release, the portraits looked more like placeholders to me.
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    The Duty Officer cards are just...cards. Makes sense they look accurate to their canon source material. What's nice is that a player can always recreate their own versions as Boffs. Created with your own interpretation of what they might look like as STO characters.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    People are going to complain either way, so matching canon seems the better choice.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I agree with dave. People gonna complain no matter what the devs do or don't do.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    I LIKE the change.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I haven't looked since initial release & claiming, I mean they're DOFFs, if they were BOFFs I could understand an interest since there's more visual but the only time I spend looking at DOFF portraits is when I'm searching for a particular one, if that.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    I actually like the change a lot. I didn't care for the '3D engine' portraits. They're not NPCs in this game - they're Doff cards.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    They match the actual show they're promoting which is really the way to go. People who are offended by the style choice can always delete those doffs and never worry about it again, which is a bonus to those who take issue with the choices CBS makes but don't have the option to avoid Discovery content.

Heh :D

Its merely odd to have a bunch of toons turning the doof rooster into Cool World; it take a bit more to get me offended.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    Sorry, say what again???... i don't see the problem, but hey... first world problems everywhere, i guess.. :lol:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • starshine#7408 starshine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    I like both, but I think the first ones more? but maybe just because they came first
    TOS>LDS>DSC>VOY>DS9>PRO>ENT>TNG>PIC

Bring the Enterprise XCV-330 to STO
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    Sorry, say what again???... i don't see the problem, but hey... first world problems everywhere, i guess.. :lol:

Well, what else is left? Discussing serious world problems will inevitably lead to politics or maybe religion and then ppl get angry, ppl get hurt, shouting at each other mods gets called accounts get banned :#

Nono, this is a first world problem forum. :)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »

Well, what else is left? Discussing serious world problems will inevitably lead to politics or maybe religion and then ppl get angry, ppl get hurt, shouting at each other mods gets called accounts get banned :#

Nono, this is a first world problem forum. :)

I was just about to say that - this is a forum about a online game. The mere existence of which is a 'first world problem' - every single one of us does contribute nothing worthwhile to society while being here pig-24.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • sadrielfettsadrielfett Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    Agree with the OP. I think they looked better when they fit the aesthetic of the game.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    --Sadriel Fett

"There are few problems in the galaxy that cannot be solved by the suitable application of concentrated phaser fire."
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    I preferred the original release version too since they fit the game better and the doffs were perfectly recognizable as the LD characters done in STO style, kind of a best of both worlds.

I don't think it is a big deal either way though and each has advantages and disadvantages. For instance it is easier to keep them out of potentially fatal doff missions since they are so glaringly out of place now which is a slight advantage, but it is a slight annoyance since it breaks the immersion a bit.

Ironically, that ease of picking them out from the pack makes it easier to pay less attention to the show they came from because of not having to remember the names or exact looks so it actually makes for less of a promo for the show than having to pay more attention while doffing would.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    I think fatal only applies to white quality though...
    I preferred the original release version too since they fit the game better and the doffs were perfectly recognizable as the LD characters done in STO style, kind of a best of both worlds.

Yea. I have to agree on this point. It actually looked like they put some effort into rendering them in STO style. Now... it feels more like a cheep 2 second photoshop.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Yea. I have to agree on this point. It actually looked like they put some effort into rendering them in STO style. Now... it feels more like a cheep 2 second photoshop.

Nothing 'cheap' about it as they probably had to pay for the rights to use the images of said characters. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

What they said. I prefer the original myself. Even so, I do understand the reasoning for the change.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,979 Arc User
    Someone on another thread said they look animated now.
    1. They are animated. It is a cartoon
    2. Everything in STO is animated, these DOFFS just a lil bit more so.

Regardless of any of that. Does it really matter what they look like. The originals were brought out BEFORE the series started, so maybe Cryptic didn't have the rights to use the series likeness at that time.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Likeness? They looked like the characters as they may have appeared in STO's more realistic asthetic rather than the cartoon look of the show. They even had the proper LD uniforms. Hell... even the guy with the cyborg parts had the proper cyborg parts. Now it just looks like they took the promotional art for LD, trimmed out the characters, and put them in a DOff frame. With enough time and effort I could do that in GIMP (especially since I have to use control points in GIMP to extract things accurately without any background, and that is one massive PITA with the sheer number of clicks I have to do). What I can't do, is the portraits from the initial release, which matched STO's asthetic.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Originals were better and fit the game. Now they just look terribly out of place. I guess the question now is whether the California class we eventually get will fit the aesthetics of the game or the show?
This discussion has been closed.