test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Legendary ship pricing

rykus83rykus83 Member Posts: 124 Arc User
So I was wondering how many people would buy one of those legendary ships if the sold them singly but at something like 4500 zen or 5000 zen instead of the $300 bucks if you didnt get it on sale for the standard, I know some people probably don't mind doing a huge buy like that but for me doing lets say 5000 zen which is alot more doable for me and I'm guessing alot of other people as well, and I don't see the game developers not making money doing it.

Vague/clickbait titles are not allowed, per FCT. -- WingedHussar
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    The topic is somewhat moot since the sales of the Legendary Bundle have guranteed that single purchase will never be an option. Why would Cryptic do that when they're making so much on the bundle?

If hypothetically they did offer the ships individually though.. I might consider getting one but only with Zen gained from trading Dilithium. With the current laggy state of this game I won't even consider spending real money. If they fixed the lag and then offered the ships for single purchase.. that might be a different discussion.

Right now, there is pretty much nothing they can do to get actual money from me.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    I might, but it would be a tough sell after the ridiculous change to the Admiralty system early this year.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    I won't.

I have the full package. :)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I might, but it would be a tough sell after the ridiculous change to the Admiralty system early this year.

Rediculous change? The fact you don't get instant 30k unrefined anymore?
    For one thing, Klingon and Ferengi admiralty tracks had the same exact reward for the 10/10 ToD. Second, we're still getting that 30k from Ferengi, its just spread out rather than one lump sum. We're also getting 30k Fleet Vouchers from KDF, which, frankly, is a much needed boost for Fleets as nowadays most people are less inclined to donate Dilithium. Having an option that doesn't dig into their Dilithium is actually good.

Having worked Admiralty and the Exchange for a long time... I haven't really seen an impact the change to Admiralty has made. Sure I don't have those spikes, but the overall income hasn't changed.

Now, as for the OP... I personally feel it would be nice to offer individual options, because more people would be willing to shell out for one or two at a time than for all 10 in one go, but unfortunately the Connies negate that possibility. I would have loved to get one, and work towards getting the rest, but as it stands I'll just have to save up until I can get the full pack someday.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Maybe they'll create new bundles with some of the ships, or one ship and some other stuff. Or update already existing bundles to include a new legendary one.

That seems to be their approach now.

An example could be adapting the Galaxy or Intrepid bundles to include a legendary ship. You'd still have to pay a lot of Zen and basically also buy part of the ship twice, so it would be more fair to those who paid the full price.

[4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    Or they might create new bundles.

We have, what, three Sovereigns now, including the legendary one? Put them together in a pack and add something like a star, something Herald related and a Junior Q statue...

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    if you count the fleet versions and the base version, there are actually NINE different sovereigns

Assault Cruiser
    Mirror Star Cruiser
    Assault Cruiser Refit
    Fleet Assault Cruiser Refit
    Archon Intel Assault Cruiser
    Fleet Imperial Intel Assault Cruiser
    Fleet Vizier Command Assault Cruiser
    Sovereign Legendary Miracle Worker Assault Cruiser
    Vizier Command Assault Cruiser​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited August 2020
    Yeah but only three T6 C-store variants.

And I've just argued elsewhere that there are only 2 Caitian ships. Which requires me to hold that fleet ships aren't counted as separate.

• fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    I dont have any high end packages AND I wont spend any money on the game what so ever.
    I did get the lifetime a few years ago but thats all there getting since the direction of the game has gone down hill since then.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2020
    Hehehe, yea sadly I think many would buy them at 5000 ZEN, however remember the Single Romulan Legendary Ship, it was offered for 12000 ZEN, even though it did include a few bonus bundled with it.

So even if they do offer 1-2 FED Ships, they'd likely price it 2.5x higher than 5000 ZEN, either more like the Romulan with few bonus benefits if a lone ship is given, or possibly offer as a 2 Ship Pack. But just depends how creative they TRY to get for making the bundle open to a few more. <3o:)

Still I suspect the Klingons will have a far smaller Pack, possible 2-4 ships. Though all Legendary Ships eventually earn Account-Wide Starship Traits once unlocked.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Change your title to something more descriptive of your OP. Vague titles are not allowed.

Would I buy one if they were offered individually? Maybe.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    I'd buy them for 100 zen.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    I get the hate for them being only in a bundle but I don't get why the hate for the price, 10 ships for $300 is the same if you bought 10 T6 ships at the $30 price tag. And no you can't argue that some of them aren't worth $30 when all T6 ships (outside Mudd's Market) are $30. The worth of the ships is subjective.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    alonar wrote: »
    I get the hate for them being only in a bundle but I don't get why the hate for the price, 10 ships for $300 is the same if you bought 10 T6 ships at the $30 price tag. And no you can't argue that some of them aren't worth $30 when all T6 ships (outside Mudd's Market) are $30. The worth of the ships is subjective.

What is hard to understand? Not everyone wants all ten ships, and if they only want one out of the bundle they still have to buy the bundle, which means the one ship cost them $300. The other nine are irrelevant if they don't want and will not use them.

And yes, that is the worst case scenario, but it does illustrate the point.
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    Would I buy a single one? Yes.
    Would I pay more than 3000 Zen? No.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    It doesn't cost $300. When it is appears it normally on sale for ~19,500 Zen. With Charge Bonuses, etc. you're probably paying around $150. Only very foolish people would buy the Bundle at List or the Elite Version of the Bundle.

It's still a lot of money but let's not overblow things.

And you will never get those versions of the Constitutions especially, but all for 3,000 Zen
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    It doesn't cost $300. When it is appears it normally on sale for ~19,500 Zen. With Charge Bonuses, etc. you're probably paying around $150. Only very foolish people would buy the Bundle at List or the Elite Version of the Bundle.

And you will never get those versions of the Constitutions especially, but all for 3,000 Zen

People are also ignoring the fact that you get actually much more than just 10 ships.

You get, for example, all the three Odysseys, their consoles, costumes and their traits (Super charged weapons for example is a good trait that would otherwise require you to spend $24 on the Endeavour class alone).

Same for the Sovereign, you also get all the stuff from the other T6 ships, and the T5 Regent costume.

Besides the Connies, there's also the NX class with a very powerful trait. People would either need to spend 900 or 720 lobi to get that on a single toon, or get it through the more expensive Mudd store for all of them.

So actually, even if the full thing would cost $300, you're not even paying $30 per ship.

You're paying much less than that because there are more than 10 ships in it.

I paid $150. That's even less than $15 per ship.

If people are not willing to spend less than half the price of an average ship on a package that includes some super rare ones that were much, much more expensive than that average price, then they need to start wondering how badly they (don't) want it.

'I'm not going to use everything out of it', isn't very convincing as a reason when the average price per ship in this package (let alone that of the super rare ones) is so much lower than you would have to pay for any other ship.

Moreover, I refuse to believe that traits like those of the NX class, the Endeavour, the admiralty cards, the double fighter pets or the different costumes would go unused by those saying they are just interested in one or two ships. For a few people that might actually be true, but I doubt it's true for the majority of those who want the ships to be sold individually.

I'm hoping to see it again this Holiday season. I'm saving up my stipend, and my daily Admiralty income.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • rykus83rykus83 Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    the point was that I'd assume like me that even $150 in one go is alot the most I've done is got $75 worth of zen and that was at my birthday. I guess if there were peeps doing like $20 in zen at a time each month they could save it and wait but for me I would have to know well in advance when the pack is going back up or the saved Zen would probably go to something else.
  • rykus83rykus83 Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    plus at the point of my doing this thread I didn't know about mudd's market so I figured they just single out the 10 ships there and they would be the insane 17000 for 1 ship and you would have to wait and see what sale come for them I doubt if they did the legendary ships there that they would get the 80% sale that sto-gamepedia say's that some have gotten more like the 60% which is like what 6800 zen for a ship if they did it which again is probably still manageable for some.
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    ltminns wrote: »

People are also ignoring the fact that you get actually much more than just 10 ships.

You get, for example, all the three Odysseys, their consoles, costumes and their traits (Super charged weapons for example is a good trait that would otherwise require you to spend $24 on the Endeavour class alone).

Same for the Sovereign, you also get all the stuff from the other T6 ships, and the T5 Regent costume.

Besides the Connies, there's also the NX class with a very powerful trait. People would either need to spend 900 or 720 lobi to get that on a single toon, or get it through the more expensive Mudd store for all of them.

True, so maybe those ships would have to be a mini-bundle. But many of us have purchased most of those C-store ships in the past and so buying a bundle that is 70% things we already have isn't very nice either.

If I didn't have most of those ships already I would have been overjoyed to get that pack for the sale price they had, it was a good value. But it wasn't a good value to older customers who already purchased most of those ships. Especially the promo box ships. I could have saved myself a few billion EC had I known they were just gonna make a big bundle. :'(
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    if they gave enough notice for bundle at the sale price, i would spend the $150 for it. but i refuse to drop $300 on this or any game for any reason.

The bundles will be back, probably for "Renamed To Something Else Friday" and Xmas or New Years. Possibly sooner to celebrate Klingon legendary ship(s).

If you want it, you could buy zen during a charge bonus and hold on to it for later. Or just hope that Something-Friday or Xmas has both a bundle sale and zen sale.

• casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    My top ceiling for a ship purchase:
    Zen sale bonus + Ship discount = 20 Euros/20 Bucks for a ship.

But the legendary ships are simply superior to any other ships in the C-store by most means.
    The bundles will be back, probably for "Renamed To Something Else Friday" ...

You don't need to try and be politically correct on that, as Black Friday has nothing to do with race whatsoever. I think it's called that because businesses usually end up "in the black" in terms of profits, meaning they made LOTS of money, whereas if they were in the red they would have lost money.
This discussion has been closed.