test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Performance Issues Survey

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    jonsills wrote: »
    I think the ship has sailed on this thread and the other one in the General Discussion forum. Cryptic/PWE no longer seem interested in the Lag/Rubberbanding/SNR or disconnections, well it certainly feels like it
    It's not about having a discussion about this. It never was. A fellow player explained the whole situation in a nutshell:
    tasshena wrote: »
    This again? I'm more convinced than ever that you just want to collect enough anomalous cases that you can try to claim it isn't Akamai Technologies causing nearly all of it, when it is.
    For example, if Cryptic can collect enough statistical artefacts ans anomalies, they'll be able to scapegoat just about anything but Akamai and the hamster powered servers.
    You've got that backwards. They'd love to prove it's not Akamai, because then they could do something about it. As it stands, all they can do is beg every ISP that might at some point host a node in the path to stop using Akamai's DDoS-protection software, and that seems about as likely as getting players to stop trying to blame Cryptic for everything that happens across the 'net.
    That's not right they can do something about it if its Akamai. Cryptic choose to swap to using Akamai for data security and content distribution network/cloud storage and the problem started from day 1 of them using Akamai for data security and its 100% proven one of the major problems with the lag is from Akamai data security node. The problem for most of us is not at a random ISP node on the wider net but with the node Cryptic are paying to use and have chosen to push us though despite knowing for years its unsuitable for online games.

Not all the lag is that node, we also have the server lag that is only in some zones or areas of the game. The Voth ground Battlefield and Risa lag when they misconfigure the zones cannot really be blamed on Akamai. But the lag from the Akamai's protection software that Cryptic are directing us though is Cryptics fault. As most of the tracearts show the lag is not within the wider net. Its at the point Cryptic have some control over.
  • ares92#3649 ares92 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    (spam/derailing post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    The lag sure is taking away from the Summer Event. Other than people cheating the Biathlon and Board Race. The lag, at times, can be brutal.
  • tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    The lag sure is taking away from the Summer Event. Other than people cheating the Biathlon and Board Race. The lag, at times, can be brutal.

Think they care? Fairly sure they either stopped looking at this thread, or filter it for results to find and cherry pick the ones they want.
  • ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    Only thing keeping the lights on for STO is the I.P take Star Trek away or have another Star Trek MMO competing and this one is toast. The server performance of this game is a disgrace to the I.P

Been getting lag/rubberbanded all over the place with power tray misfires in TFO's and Battlezones.
    Post edited by ussvaliant2#1952 on
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • hardcoregames#5657 hardcoregames Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Lag is not unique to STO, lots of games are affected right now
    Lag is not unique to STO, lots of games are affected right now
    The lag in STO doesn't apear to be the same as the generic lag across the internet. In STO even if if you play when the server population is at the lowest point with the least amount of stress on the server and at the point in the day internet traffic is at the lowest point you can still suffer daily extreme lag and rubberbanding. While at the same time the other games are 99% lag free without rubberbanding.

That's the problem we all exact a bit of lag when the server is stressed out with a high population or internet traffic is high. But we shouldn't be getting this kind of lag when the server is at the low population point and interne traffic is low.
    edited August 2020
    Servers be like

xYCZpB1.gif

x6QRCqI.gif

• fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,265 Arc User
    Well if the server is up and running then that poor thing is asleep in the wheel.
    I have had more rubber banding since it came back up this morning than I have had all week.
    I have had to rerun events cause the rubber banding messed me up and such all afternoon.
    I at this point are gonna give up playing any events on risa cause the rubber banding is disrupting fly high something awfull as well as scavenger hunt and the hog hunt. Not funny when you go thru 3 targets get flung back to the one you were on and none of the 3 even counted so you run ahead to continue and now you have to go back and redo it all.
    Tomorrow I will try to do events again.
    1 am, eastern time, Risa instance is almost empty, and I'm rubber banding like crazy in the sky trying to do the event. I'm curious what kind of bunny-out-of-a-magic-hat they'll pull in order not to blame Akamai...
    Its been proven time and time again that the lag and rubberbanding happens 24/7 even when the server population and internet traffic are at the lowest points. It used to be we could log in at the low point and get the bare minimum of lag. Now its just rubberbanding all day every day.
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    1 am, eastern time, Risa instance is almost empty, and I'm rubber banding like crazy in the sky trying to do the event. I'm curious what kind of bunny-out-of-a-magic-hat they'll pull in order not to blame Akamai...
    Its been proven time and time again that the lag and rubberbanding happens 24/7 even when the server population and internet traffic are at the lowest points. It used to be we could log in at the low point and get the bare minimum of lag. Now its just rubberbanding all day every day.

Amen I can testify to that.

I've done everything I possibly can my end, only thing left to try is a different PC but I know even the most powerful PC on the planet won't make a blind bit of difference as it's not a hardware issue. I said I'd give them till the end of the year to improve the problem, It's looking more likely I'll be quitting the game before the weekend is over. I can't enjoy the game constantly having rubberband spikes my patience is at an end
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    I know it isn't my Gigabit internet connection or either one of my PC's. This issue takes away from the enjoyment of playing, especially the Summer Event.
  • aoav160aoav160 Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    Captains - we've heard your feedback that some of you are experiencing lag and rubberbanding more than usual in our game. Please take the time to fill out this survey so we can investigate the issue in detail.

bit.ly/2TDZcDB

It's at their end but they are doing this instead of allocating resources towards professional help for their infrastructure and configuration.
    aoav160 wrote: »
    Captains - we've heard your feedback that some of you are experiencing lag and rubberbanding more than usual in our game. Please take the time to fill out this survey so we can investigate the issue in detail.

bit.ly/2TDZcDB

It's at their end but they are doing this instead of allocating resources towards professional help for their infrastructure and configuration.

That survey like this thread and the one that has been unstickered in the Gen Discussion Thread is lip service. We have had all this before and nothing has been done. Either Cryptic don't care or PWE see the game is still making money and couldn't careless so won't greenlight a solution.
    edited August 2020

I've done everything I possibly can my end, only thing left to try is a different PC but I know even the most powerful PC on the planet won't make a blind bit of difference as it's not a hardware issue. I said I'd give them till the end of the year to improve the problem, It's looking more likely I'll be quitting the game before the weekend is over. I can't enjoy the game constantly having rubberband spikes my patience is at an end
    On top of the Akamai problems some of the lag is 100% game side and repeatable. Every single day I get the exact same lag and freeze when opening the skill page in a new area and every endeavor that completes. Both actions are 100% repeatable, confirmed by multiple players and lock up the entire game freezing every weapon shot and ship movement. How can we still get no feedback on this after almost 3 years.

I can understands some causes of lag take time to sort like Akamai but the repeatable things like above should have been way easier to track down and solve. They are clearly 100% game related and not internet related.

On top of the Akamai problems some of the lag is 100% game side and repeatable. Every single day I get the exact same lag and freeze when opening the skill page in a new area and every endeavor that completes. Both actions are 100% repeatable, confirmed by multiple players and lock up the entire game freezing every weapon shot and ship movement. How can we still get no feedback on this after almost 3 years.

I can understands some causes of lag take time to sort like Akamai but the repeatable things like above should have been way easier to track down and solve. They are clearly 100% game related and not internet related.

True
  • bonzaibob22bonzaibob22 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Have completed the survey. Fails to account for server disconnects going to some of the TFOs (Assault on Terok Nor is the worst) and transitioning to Fleet Star base and Research Lab, etc. It happens to me at least once every time I play. It didn't used to be this bad. It seems that things are getting worse as more content is added, I have been playing since the game has been released and over the past 6 months I have been getting more and more frustrated with the lagging, rubber-banding, server disconnects and finally the lack of patching bugs that have been around for a long , long time.
  • qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    Submitted. Hope it helps.
    Ditching Akamai would mean having to upgrade to a faster ISP, which is probably deemed too costly.

i doubt that. deemed too costly is subjective. more like, if we upgrade as we should it will cut into our yearly bonus...
    On the other hand how many players and in turn money have they lost due this problem? It seems like a good portion of the players that quit have left due to the lag/rubberbanding problems and many who are still active are refusing to spend money while the lag/rubberbanding is as bad as it is.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    Lord of the Rings Online is also based on Servers in Boston and has/is having lag issues as well. In fact they reported yesterday that there was some external issue affecting Server stability. Akamai is also in the picture there as well.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    After spending a couple hours last night and today not in the Dyson Battle zone and only doing RTFO's I have still got the odd rubber band spike but that's it maybe once or twice in a RFTO but manageable. The Dyson Battle Zone however when that decides to act up as I've said many a time its nigh on constant every 30 secs. So the worst of the Rubber banding appears to be situated in the battle zones.