Install Arc

So, new carriers? Fun with names

Comments

• fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    westmetals wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Also - Akagi and Hornet not only both cropped up, they were in the same episode. (the WWII versions fought on opposite sides at Midway.)

Yup. I was a fan of the old movie Midway, and I did a couple reports in school on the battle. Hell... my Disco character, after I got a Disco Connie, is flying the USS Hornet and I treat her as one of Enterprise's sister ships.
    If I remember correctly, the 7 carriers that were involved at Midway were:
    • Hiru (Destroyed)
    • Soryu (Destroyed)
    • Akagi (Crippled by Enterprise Dive Bombers, scuttled by IJN to prevent capture)
    • Kaga (Destroyed)
    • Enterprise (Would basically win the war, earned most awards, and earned nickname Gray Ghost)
    • Hornet
    • Yorktown (came in crippled, later sunk by IJN sub, compounding damage suffered at Midway)

Britain had 3 armoured fleet carriers in the pacific, immune to kamikaze attacks.

I always found the differences in American, Japanese and British carriers fascinating. American philosophy was to hit the enemy carriers before they could hit their own (worked well at Midway). The British view was that the carrier was going to get hit sooner or later so we built the hanger decks like an armoured magazine and flight deck like an armoured hull.

A forgotten aspect of the pacific theatre was the close co-operation between the British and Americans. British carrier based Seafires flew CAP for the Americans as the Seafire had a better ceiling and performance to the hellcats and corsairs.

The British carriers weren't in the Pacific until toward the end of the war.

Illustrious was in the Pacific from May 42 to Jan 43 then back in 44
    Indomitable was in the pacific from Jan 42 to July 42 then back in 44
    Formidable was in the Pacific from March 42 to August 42

Oh and the Victorious was on loan to the USN in '43 due to a lack of US carriers. Only the Saratoga was in active service at the time. The fighter control officers on Victorious worked closely with the USN counterparts to improve the USN air defense organisation
    Also - Akagi and Hornet not only both cropped up, they were in the same episode. (the WWII versions fought on opposite sides at Midway.)

Yup. I was a fan of the old movie Midway, and I did a couple reports in school on the battle. Hell... my Disco character, after I got a Disco Connie, is flying the USS Hornet and I treat her as one of Enterprise's sister ships.
    • Hiru (Destroyed)
    • Soryu (Destroyed)
    • Akagi (Crippled by Enterprise Dive Bombers, scuttled by IJN to prevent capture)
    • Kaga (Destroyed)
    • Enterprise (Would basically win the war, earned most awards, and earned nickname Gray Ghost)
    • Hornet
    • Yorktown (came in crippled, later sunk by IJN sub, compounding damage suffered at Midway)

Britain had 3 armoured fleet carriers in the pacific, immune to kamikaze attacks.

I always found the differences in American, Japanese and British carriers fascinating. American philosophy was to hit the enemy carriers before they could hit their own (worked well at Midway). The British view was that the carrier was going to get hit sooner or later so we built the hanger decks like an armoured magazine and flight deck like an armoured hull.

A forgotten aspect of the pacific theatre was the close co-operation between the British and Americans. British carrier based Seafires flew CAP for the Americans as the Seafire had a better ceiling and performance to the hellcats and corsairs.

Also, part of that design philosophy was because the British had built their carriers expecting to operate them mainly in European waters and within range of enemy land-based bombers, and perhaps in combination with a surface battle fleet (in a Jutland-like scenario). The American and Japanese carriers, meanwhile, had been designed with the vast expanse of the Pacific in mind, so had sacrificed armor for speed.

In fact, from Lexington through the Essex class, every American carrier was explicitly designed for the Pacific - even Ranger, which was obsolete enough that they kept it in the Atlantic, mostly in convoy and ASW duty - from the blueprints up: the width of the ships was always kept narrow enough to pass through the Panama Canal. Which was essential because of not only the two-ocean commitments, but because almost all of the American shipyards were on the Atlantic side.

Odd, deledted my post trying to edit it.

Anyway we had 3 fleet armoured carriers in the Pacific in 42. In 1943 America had only one working Carrier for a time, USS Saratoga, so the Victorious was loaned to the USN and the fighter controlers helped improve American air defense techniques.

• Hiru (Destroyed)
    • Soryu (Destroyed)
    • Kaga (Destroyed)
    • Hornet

Also, part of that design philosophy was because the British had built their carriers expecting to operate them mainly in European waters and within range of enemy land-based bombers, and perhaps in combination with a surface battle fleet (in a Jutland-like scenario). The American and Japanese carriers, meanwhile, had been designed with the vast expanse of the Pacific in mind, so had sacrificed armor for speed.

In fact, from Lexington through the Essex class, every American carrier was explicitly designed for the Pacific - even Ranger, which was obsolete enough that they kept it in the Atlantic, mostly in convoy and ASW duty - from the blueprints up: the width of the ships was always kept narrow enough to pass through the Panama Canal. Which was essential because of not only the two-ocean commitments, but because almost all of the American shipyards were on the Atlantic side.

Odd, deledted my post trying to edit it.

Anyway we had 3 fleet armoured carriers in the Pacific in 42. In 1942 America had only one working Carrier for a time, USS Saratoga, so the Victorious was loaned to the USN and the fighter controlers helped improve American air defense techniques.

Corrected my post.... I'd read about the British operating as part of Third/Fifth Fleet in 1944-45; didn't realize the earlier (largely independent) operations.

Every time I edit a post it deletes, odd.

But yeah, there was more co-operation between the RN and USN in the pacific than people realise. America did the heavy lifting and it was very much a USN show as the atlantic and med was a RN show. The two nations worked very well together

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I don't think Pearl Harbor did any favors though due to the decimation of the American Pacific Fleet.
    Also I think after Midway, Enterprise was almost on her own for a while. She was a serious thorn in the side of the Japanese. Hell... the Japanese said they sunk her 3 times, only for her to show up again. Hence Enterprise being called the Grey Ghost.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'The British Pacific Fleet' by David Hobbs.

'England expects that every man will do his duty'

They should have NEVER started naming US Carriers after Presidents or a Congressman and continued on the naming tradition that they had.

Don't get me going on those idiots who brow beat NASA into naming the first Shuttle after the Enterprise. That one was NEVER going to fly.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Battle 360 series was about the Enterprise. The founder of Enterprise car rental named it after her.

After Midway, Enterprise also had Saratoga, Wasp, and Hornet. Wasp torpedoed by a sub and sunk. Saratoga participated in the Battle of the Eastern Solomons but was later torpedoed and needed repair. Hornet was sunk in the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands. Now the Enterprise was alone.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    When they are federation, my latest names for my ships are based on the women from the apollo and space shuttle programs, like:

U.S.S. Cohen
    U.S.S. Dickson
    U.S.S. Hamilton

To name a few...

My Russian captain, Korolev, uses female cosmonaut names. Valentina Tereshkova, Svetlana Savitskaya, Yelena Kondakova
    and pilots Yekaterina Budanova, Mariya Dolina, Irina Sebrova,
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
    ltminns wrote: »
    Battle 360 series was about the Enterprise. The founder of Enterprise car rental named it after her.

After Midway, Enterprise also had Saratoga, Wasp, and Hornet. Wasp torpedoed by a sub and sunk. Saratoga participated in the Battle of the Eastern Solomons but was later torpedoed and needed repair. Hornet was sunk in the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands. Now the Enterprise was alone.

And at some point a new Lexington was built, and ganed the nickname Blue Ghost. But yea. Enterprise vs Japan.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    gaevsman wrote: »
    When they are federation, my latest names for my ships are based on the women from the apollo and space shuttle programs, like:

U.S.S. Cohen
    U.S.S. Dickson
    U.S.S. Hamilton

To name a few...

My Russian captain, Korolev, uses female cosmonaut names. Valentina Tereshkova, Svetlana Savitskaya, Yelena Kondakova
    and pilots Yekaterina Budanova, Mariya Dolina, Irina Sebrova,

Awesome, i was thinking to do that when i assign a Buran Class to a new char..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    I don't think Pearl Harbor did any favors though due to the decimation of the American Pacific Fleet.
    Also I think after Midway, Enterprise was almost on her own for a while. She was a serious thorn in the side of the Japanese. Hell... the Japanese said they sunk her 3 times, only for her to show up again. Hence Enterprise being called the Grey Ghost.

Same thing with our Ark Royal. Germans claimed to sink her so many times that nobody believed the news in Germany when they did finaly sink her.

Enterprise was one of those unremarkable ships with a remarkable history. I mean there was nothing really special about her, just a standard Yorktown class but had an amazing crew and battle history. She ended up in pretty much every major USN engagement of the pacific, I think she recieved 20 battle stars? We even gave her an admiralty pennant as a show of respect.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    yeah, they probably didn't believe the news that the bismark had been sunk either - assuming news of its sinking even made it past goebbels' crew​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    yeah, they probably didn't believe the news that the bismark had been sunk either - assuming news of its sinking even made it past goebbels' crew​​

Always respected the Bismark, she went down like a boss. Fought to the last gun, everything above the waterline was gone when she finaly went down. 400 hits, including the Rodney's 16inch shells and they couldn't bring her down until the Germans finaly scuttled her. Tough lass for sure.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    > @fallenkezef#4581 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Always respected the Bismark, she went down like a boss. Fought to the last gun, everything above the waterline was gone when she finaly went down. 400 hits, including the Rodney's 16inch shells and they couldn't bring her down until the Germans finaly scuttled her. Tough lass for sure.

It's not actually certain what was the killing blow for Bismark either her crew scuttled her or that failed and a british destoyer got the killing blow, either way by that time sinking the Bismark was essentially a formality as the Home Fleet had damaged the Bismark beyond repair and then some because they had shells left. Also Bismark was a lad as german warship of that era were referred as male IIRC.
    I saw a show where they virtually drained the ocean, and the evidence from their survey of the Bismarck made it sound like it was pretty likely that the killing blow... was self inflicted. So while its still unclear, its unclear leaning towards scuttle.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    A few ship names in klingonese (according to https://www.translator.eu/english/klingon/translation/ )

Duj legh - Spits many ships
    pu'HIch - Carrier of death
    mIw'a' lupabwI' - Harbinger of doom
    *le'ona'to* poQ - Legion
    Separ - Death swarm
    Choq - Vanguard carrier
    ghojmoHwI' - Death by a thousand cuts
    edited August 2020
    > @rattler2 said:
    > I saw a show where they virtually drained the ocean, and the evidence from their survey of the Bismarck made it sound like it was pretty likely that the killing blow... was self inflicted. So while its still unclear, its unclear leaning towards scuttle.

From what I've heard is that any non-biased investigation came up inconclusive, that is they could't really find firm evidence towards either side, though who really got final blow is more of a formality as the Bismark had enough holes in it that he was sinking anyway and even if kriegsmarine had been able tow the wreck to Brest, there was nothing left to repair.

The Bismark had at least 1 known hole in it, the one the ship was leaking fuel from and the Royal Navy firing enough ordanance to sink the Bismark thru exess weight certain didn't help

Edit: One thing was certain though the Bismark was flooded by the time the waves claimed him.
    Well... either way, British firepower or last act of freakin' defiance, It would probably take more advanced tech and a more detailed survey of the wreck to know for sure. I just remember that there was some suspicious damage that did indicate a possible scuttle attempt.

Either way... Bismarck went down, and the rest is history.
    edited August 2020
    Well... either way, British firepower or last act of freakin' defiance, It would probably take more advanced tech and a more detailed survey of the wreck to know for sure. I just remember that there was some suspicious damage that did indicate a possible scuttle attempt.

Either way... Bismarck went down, and the rest is history.
    Actually from what I've heard it's not so much damage inflicted but rather damage that isn't on the wreck that's the main evidence for the Scuttle theory. Meaning the Bismark didn't implode like a ship that's mostly filled with air would suggesting most of the ship was flooded when the ship sank far enough that implosion damage would happen.

Either way as you said ultimately Bismarck was defeated and went down, who got the killing blow is secondary as by that time the ship was an unsalvageable burning wreck.

EDIT:yes implode (though considering things like boilers and ammo so exploding while sinking is possible as well), there's a reason the max dive depth for submarines is called "crush depth".
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User

• Hiru (Destroyed)
    • Soryu (Destroyed)
    • Kaga (Destroyed)
    • Hornet

yeah, not exactly. they had good high altitude performance but no legs and weak punch. they could not fly to target, fight through deliver ordinance and fight back out the way the Corsair and Hellcat could. In fact, the brits were so impressed with the Hellcat they bought them for their own carriers.
    Spock.jpg

• nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    the funny/sad thing is Bismarck would have never been caught except an antiquated, obsolete bi plane got a very lucky hit on the rudder. if not for that she would have made it to Luftwaffe air cover and may have possibly changed the war
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    one battleship was not going to change an entire war, no matter what kind of reputation it has...they lost the second they attacked the USSR, and just compounded it when hitler idiotically declared war on the united states days after pearl harbor - they had no reason to get involved beyond the lend-lease program even after the attack, because their fight was with japan, and only japan, but that declaration forced their hand​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > one battleship was not going to change an entire war, no matter what kind of reputation it has...they lost the second they attacked the USSR, and just compounded it when hitler idiotically declared war on the united states days after pearl harbor - they had no reason to get involved beyond the lend-lease program even after the attack, because their fight was with japan, and only japan, but that declaration forced their hand​​

Yeah it's best to remember that Bismarck wasn't the only ship in her class and while US had de facto joined the allies with lend lease the war declaration gave the White House the ability to cast aside neutrality and fullt commit to the war.
    edited August 2020

• Hiru (Destroyed)
    • Soryu (Destroyed)
    • Kaga (Destroyed)
    • Hornet

yeah, not exactly. they had good high altitude performance but no legs and weak punch. they could not fly to target, fight through deliver ordinance and fight back out the way the Corsair and Hellcat could. In fact, the brits were so impressed with the Hellcat they bought them for their own carriers.

Maybe you should look up what a CAP is?

During the pacific campaign there was a deliberate choice to use American aircraft for some carriers to make it easier to supply as they where using the USN supply chain. The Hellcat was, indeed, an impressive aircraft, we also took on several Corsair squadrons after the war. However the Seafire was a superior interceptor and was retained for that role.

One of the annoying things about the RN was it's failure to properly develop naval aircraft. Stupid requirements like 2 crew for a naval fighter. Luckily that all changed in the jet era.

887 and 894 Squadrons flew Seafires from HMS Indefatigable and covered the USN at Okinawa engaging Japanese bombers and Kamikazes.

edited August 2020
    The main thing about the war in the pacific as well was that while Japanese planes were faster, American planes could take a few more hits. And the Corsair was a late entry to naval battles because it took a long time to deal with some issues she had with carrier landings. From land based airfields in the hands of the Marines, the Corsair apparently became a feared opponent for Japanese Zeros. They respected the Corsair. Hellcats may not have been as fast as Zeros, but they were able to hold their own pretty well, and I believe had more guns than a Zero.

And yea. The second the United States entered the war, things changed big time. Japan knew that they needed a knockout blow, which was what they TRIED to do at Pearl Harbor, in order to survive. If America was given a chance, the sheer industrial might that America had would be the biggest threat. And unfortunately for Japan, Pearl Harbor was not the knockout blow they hoped. It woke a sleeping dragon. And then Germany poked said dragon as it woke up.

While Shermans weren't as good as Panzers, there were like... what? 50 Shermans for every Panzer? And the M1 Garand was a very effective weapon. If the STG-44 had been more widely available, things might have been a lot rougher. But a certain moustache didn't like the concept of the gun, so manufacturers had to slip it in under his nose by calling it the MP-44. It wasn't until he was blindsided by soldiers asking for this "new rifle" and actually testfiring it himself that he liked it and renamed it the STG-44. Too little too late.
This discussion has been closed.