What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Well, this is an experience...

Comments

• Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    So...I actually REALLY like hybrid builds. In fact, most of builds I actually use tend to be hybrids. The trouble is, hybrids are not easy or cheap to do. They are not good things to recommend when somebody needs help with this game. If they are DEAD set on a hybrid build...sure, by all means help with that project...but for 99% of the requests for help in this game, hybrids are not the answer.

You're right, we are derailing the thread. However, I think its also important to not give advice to the inexperienced players that gives them the impression that STO is the sort of game that doesn't actually offer much in the way of build freedom or exploration.
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    So...I actually REALLY like hybrid builds. In fact, most of builds I actually use tend to be hybrids. The trouble is, hybrids are not easy or cheap to do. They are not good things to recommend when somebody needs help with this game. If they are DEAD set on a hybrid build...sure, by all means help with that project...but for 99% of the requests for help in this game, hybrids are not the answer.

You're right, we are derailing the thread. However, I think its also important to not give advice to the inexperienced players that gives them the impression that STO is the sort of game that doesn't actually offer much in the way of build freedom or exploration.

Strawman. I never said anything like that. You're the one that jumped in making assumptions and disparaging my observations.

I just said that if you are going to go exotic, you should go whole-hog. Others disagree, and that's fine.

In the end, your damage parser is the final arbiter. CLR does not lie.

• Options

Strawman. I never said anything like that. You're the one that jumped in making assumptions and disparaging my observations.

I just said that if you are going to go exotic, you should go whole-hog. Others disagree, and that's fine.

That's not exactly true. There comes a point of good enough unless you are chasing DPS. And that can be reached in a myriad of different ways...especially once you understand the build system of this game. And if your goal is to reach the good enough and have fun, you don't have to use the META. However if you need to reach the good enough with as low of a budget as possible...that is a different story...and that is what most people who ask for help on this forum are after. I think most of the people who are saying that you can do hybrids are saying that you can get to the good enough and have fun using that...not that it is the best or cheapest way to go about it. Which on a thread where the OP has 130k EC to spend and is struggling may not be the best discussion to be had mind you.

Once again, you make a good point. The first Science console is going to cost several millions even if you go CtrlX, and 150 million if you want it with EPG; those things have just gotten stupid expensive.

I blame Cryptic for putting so many utterly worthless possibilities onto the console crafting process. I have been building some lately, and even with a pair of +50 boosters, your chances of getting a UR at all are only 46%, and then if you do get UR, there are a dozen different possibilities, out of which only two are worth anything.

• Options
    edited August 2020

You said:
    I must politely disagree with the part I have bolded. In my experience, Science damage builds are particularly unforgiving of compromise. If you can't go all-out, whole-hog Science, don't bother. Go big or go home.

Most other things have a point of sharply diminishing returns; EPG is the opposite. You must reach a certain point of critical mass, somewhere around 400-450, before things start to happen, and from there your ship becomes a death-dealing space monster. The only limit on how much you stack EPG is the need for adequate CtrlX

What in the world is wrong about my characterization about what you said? You explicitly said science builds must be done a certain way or they aren't worth doing. There are other ways to do science that don't revolve around grav wells or even part gens.

Now you also don't need more than bellum EPG consoles, a temporally shielded datacore, the chronometric capacitor, and an assimilated console to have a useful grav well build. It unquestionably costs more if you want it to be better, but to start with a ~7km radius GW3 and ~300 part gens, after adding in skills, is perfectly fine (and you have even more depending on your deflectors and possibly other ship equipment). That's not going all out, it is an affordable start and is worth doing.

And using a parser is fine if your goal is optimizing your damage, but there is more to the game than that.
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    Both are correct. I do however dislike the idea of exotic/energy weapons hybrid builds due to the power management issues.

You could mitigate that issue by using the Vesta's Aux Cannons. It would not remove the issue, but without having to use Weapon Power, it frees up a fair amount of energy. Emergency Power To Auxiliary and Energy Siphon will further minimize the impact.

This doesn't help with Op's issue, though.
  • Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    OP..dont worry..T5U sci ships can Rock in this game. (I dont have a Varanus and my closest KDF copy is the T6 MM Explorer)..
    SjzEmaR.jpg

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    I don't have a Varanus but I do have the multi mission ships which are pretty much a similar kind of ship but with slightly better stats.
  • Options
    lhoygowlhoygow Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    Edit: A little squishy, so I replaced the Polaric Modulator with Trellium-D and revised the power settings to match.

Here's my 2 cents for a nearly free Varanus build, total cost is 30K EC for a uncommon inhibiting secondary deflector, preferably with [EPG]. Does just fine in normal content and all it takes is time to complete some missions for the free stuff. Run the Brushfire mission twice to get all 3 pieces, and do it last as it will present the most challenge.

Fore Weapon 1 - Martok Transphasic Torpedo (Mission Brushfire/New Frontier Arc)
    Fore Weapon 2 - Rapid Reload Transphasic Torpedo (Mission Cold Comfort/Cold War Arc)
    Fore Weapon 3 - Adaptive Transphasic Torpedo (Mission Fluid Dynamics/Borg Arc) OR
    Resonant Transphasic Torpedo (Mission Blood of Ancients/Iconian Arc)
    Aft Weapon 1 - Chronometric Omni (Mission Time and Tide/Future Proof Arc)
    Aft Weapon 2 - Breen Transphasic Cluster (Mission Out in the Cold/Cold War Arc)
    Aft Weapon 3 - Martok Omni (Mission Brushfire/New Frontier Arc)

Deflector - Solanae (Mission Step Between the Stars/Solanae Arc)
    Secondary Deflector - Inhibiting [EPG] (found on exchange for 30K)
    Engine - Supercooled Combat Impulse (Mission Cold Case/Cold War Arc)
    Warp Core - Ancient Obelisk (Mission Sphere of Influence/Solanae Arc)
    Shield - Dielectric Oscillation Resilient (Mission Cold Storage/Cold War Arc)

Eng Console 1 - Neutronium MK XII Very Rare (Mission Delta Flight/Iconian Arc)
    Eng Console 2 - Trellium-D (Mission Ragnarok/Future Proof Arc)
    Eng Console 3 - Martok (Mission Brushfire/New Frontier Arc)
    Sci Console 1-3 - Particle Generator MK XII Very Rare (Mission Para Parcem/J'ula Arc)
    Sci Console 4 - Temporal Shielded Datacore (Mission Temporal Reckoning/Future Proof Arc)
    Tac Console 1 - Chronometric Capacitor (Mission Time and Tide/Future Proof Arc)
    Tac Console 2 - Temporal Vortex Probe (if you have it from the event) OR Harmonic Resonance Relay (Mission Blood of Ancients/Iconian Arc)

Set Bonuses - Breen Absolute Zero 2 pc: +30.5 Transphasic Projectile, +30.5 Electro Plasma Flow
    Chronometric Calculations 2 pc: +3.6 Aux Power, +3.8 Aux Pwr Bonus at low power
    House Martok Skirmisher 2pc: +2.5 Crit Ch, +15 Acc
    House Martok Skirmisher 3pc: -20 Dmg Res for 6 sec on Torp Spread

Optional Set Bonus from Resonant Transphasic Torp/Harmonic Resonance Relay:
    +3.8 Weapon Power
    +15% Dmg to Resonant Disruption Wave (chance from using Resonant Transphasic Torp)

Power Setting - W 15, S 40, E 45, A 100

Boff Seating:

Lt Tac - Tac Team 1, Torp Spread 2
    Ens Eng - Eng Team 1
    Lt Eng - Emerg Power to Aux 1, Reverse Shield Polarity 1
    Cmd Sci - Hazard Emit 1, Scramble Sensors 1, Feedback Pulse 2, Grav Well 2
    Lt Cmd Sci - Sci Team 1, Tractor Beam Repulsors 1, Photonic Officer 2

Note - don't use Feedback Pulse until Scramble Sensors has worn off.

Upgrade path:
    Grav Well 2 -> Grav Well 3
    Tier 5 Upgrade (5th Sci Console) - Graviton Generator
    Particle Gens & Graviton Generator -> Research Holding - (4) Exotic Particle Focuser [EPG][CtrlX]
    Feedback Pulse 2 -> Subspace Vortex 3

Post edited by lhoygow on
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    OP..dont worry..T5U sci ships can Rock in this game.

<insert cool Dyson ship collage>

Am really liking this particular 'ship collage' you sneak in once in a while. Actually I like all of your ship collages...

Could you help identify the two consoles in engineering to the right of the Delphic Tear, the console in tactical to the right of the Chronometric capacitor, and your deflector, warp core and shield. I should have asked last time.

This particular ship and build just reaches out and tickles my imagination.
  • Options
    lhoygowlhoygow Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    Am really liking this particular 'ship collage' you sneak in once in a while. Actually I like all of your ship collages...

Could you help identify the two consoles in engineering to the right of the Delphic Tear, the console in tactical to the right of the Chronometric capacitor, and your deflector, warp core and shield. I should have asked last time.

I believe that is the Bajoran Deflector/Core/Shield. Tac console is the Retrofitted Assimilator. Eng Consoles - Cascading Gravimetric Disruptions and Deconstructive Resonance Emitter.

• Options
    So, I'm working on getting myself some appropriate rep or mission reward gear for my Varanus. I'd been planning on going with the Dyson set, but I wondered if you might suggest anything as a better choice? I've built more or less as you've suggested (Gravity Well 1&3, Tyken's 1, then Tractor 2 and TBR 2), so it seems to me Control boosts would be more effective... or perhaps straight up exotic. Any thoughts? Is there a preferable Rep set, or something from mission rewards?

I wouldn't use 2 copies of grav well. The base CD is 60s and the shared CD is 40s, unless you've got the improved gravity well trait which makes it 40s all around. Switch the GW 1 with photonic officer, you should get pretty close to using a GW every 40s and as a bonus all your other powers will cooldown faster as well.

As for control or epg, I'd go EPG. EPG is what does damage for science. Control makes the GW bigger and pull stronger, but you still have to kill things. So use bellum part. gen. consoles from Disco rep, an exotic particle field exciter, and a tempoally shielded datacore from the mission Temporal Reckoning, assuming you don't have access to better consoles from fleet or elsewhere.

For your deflector Solonae is pretty solid, and I'd pair that with the engines, and then go with Temporal rep shields and warp core. Or if you really want more control skill you can grab Delta rep engines, Braydon warp core, and Gamma rep shields.
  • Options
    Yeah PO is in the best state it has ever been in. It is the obvious choice if using a science build since you definitely don't want to do an aux to bat build, but you'd definitely like some better CDs. Many many of my ships run it now because its just that useful.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    You know...I was wondering why people kept mentioning photonic officer...it use to be terrible with a really long cooldown, but the shorter, more agressive cooldown reduction makes it actually kinda good. Will have to remember that. Learned something new today...and this changes so many things for making budget builds.

Yeah, it's actually quite useful now.. even in non science builds. I use it in a half-bat setup on my Tzen-Tar build, and it works quite well. I use a similar combo on the Icarus Pilot ship.. it's a pretty nice combo. :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    I never used to use Photonic Officer until I picked up the Iktomi as a space Barbie thing for my "space Drow" captain. Since Iktomi has the improved PO trait I decided to give it a try and it was surprisingly good. I even use the normal non-boosted version on some of my other characters now.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    i have no idea what type of energy weapons gorn used in SFB, but in the old 90s videogames like KA or SFC, they used either phasers or disruptors - because plasma energy weapons weren't really a thing, just torpedoes or special weapons like the plasmatic pulsar device

they also had really clunky rectangular hulks with big underslung protruding bits for ships that were named after earth snakes - no idea what they're named after here; maybe dinosaurs​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    lhoygow wrote: »

I believe that is the Bajoran Deflector/Core/Shield. Tac console is the Retrofitted Assimilator. Eng Consoles - Cascading Gravimetric Disruptions and Deconstructive Resonance Emitter.

I think you nailed it. There's quite a few consoles in this game. Asking first instead of squinting at them on the wiki really made some sense this time.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    i have no idea what type of energy weapons gorn used in SFB, but in the old 90s videogames like KA or SFC, they used either phasers or disruptors - because plasma energy weapons weren't really a thing, just torpedoes or special weapons like the plasmatic pulsar device

they also had really clunky rectangular hulks with big underslung protruding bits for ships that were named after earth snakes - no idea what they're named after here; maybe dinosaurs​​

The Gorn ships in STO are more like the once semi-canon FASA ones (they even look a lot like them, bluntly tapered angular space bricks). The FASA Gorn ships were armed with plasma torpedoes which were slightly inferior to the Romulan ones and "'Gorn beam weapons" which could very well be their version of a plasma beam though there was nothing about it either way.

Star Fleet Battles Gorn ships were flattened spheroids connected with rounded "bar" sections with engines positioned on vertical pylons instead the side by side arrangement most others used. The weapons were (unsurprisingly since it was quasi-canon even back then though not to quite the level of detail SFB used) plasma "S" torpedoes that were smaller than the Romulan type "R" torpedo. Both the Gorn and the Romulans also had a kind of cartridge torpedo, the "F" class, that was a slaver invention that held very small torpedoes in large stasis boxes.

The Gorn mounted more launchers than the Romulans did, and tended to use them sort of like bomb-pumped lasers that created a plasma bolt instead of a torpedo if facing a foe with a lot of point defense that would otherwise kill a torpedo.

Also, in Star Fleet Battles all combat was sublight and the term "phaser" was not restricted to nadion particle beams, it was used for anything with a phased component. Romulans used x-ray phasers (mentioned in one of their lore pieces, which again came straight from fanon), the federation used laser-based phasers for the most part (harkening back to The Cage, before TOS just went with space magic), and at least back when I played SFB they had not specified what the energy type was that the Gorn, Kzinti, Lyrans, and a few others used for their phasers. The game was very popular back then and its sublight combat with warp being a free escape button could be what polluted the movies with the idea. So the idea that the Gorn used phased plasma beams is as good as any.

As for the ship class names, Varanus is the scientific name for the Komodo Dragon.
  • Options

I think you nailed it. There's quite a few consoles in this game. Asking first instead of squinting at them on the wiki really made some sense this time.

Also 'cause some are visually identical or can have mods. Particle Generator vs. Bellum Particle Generator vs. Exotic Particle Field Exciter, for example.

When it comes to Science consoles on a Science Vessel, I still prefer the Exotic Particle Focuser consoles from the Fleet Research Lab, (well, the last 4. The first one needs to be the stupidly expensive Exotic Particle Field Exciter), because you can get EPG and CtrlX from each console. Is there an argument against these consoles from the Fleet Research Lab, or something I'm missing?

• Options
    edited August 2020

Also, in Star Fleet Battles all combat was sublight and the term "phaser" was not restricted to nadion particle beams, it was used for anything with a phased component. Romulans used x-ray phasers (mentioned in one of their lore pieces, which again came straight from fanon), the federation used laser-based phasers for the most part (harkening back to The Cage, before TOS just went with space magic), and at least back when I played SFB they had not specified what the energy type was that the Gorn, Kzinti, Lyrans, and a few others used for their phasers. The game was very popular back then and its sublight combat with warp being a free escape button could be what polluted the movies with the idea. So the idea that the Gorn used phased plasma beams is as good as any.

As for the ship class names, Varanus is the scientific name for the Komodo Dragon.

You can buy Starfleet Command Gold Edition on GOG for under four bucks. The graphics are still old school and you need to read the comments for some tips on setup, (specifically the comment by Langrisser_V on the second page of comments). But it's a really faithful recreation of the old Starfleet Battles tabletop game, and how far wrong can you go for the price?

If you want to run it on Win 10, you also need to read the comment by Warthunder1969 on page 3 of comments section.

GOG has some great old SP games for dirt cheap, but you really need to read the comments on each before you buy.

• Options

Also 'cause some are visually identical or can have mods. Particle Generator vs. Bellum Particle Generator vs. Exotic Particle Field Exciter, for example.

When it comes to Science consoles on a Science Vessel, I still prefer the Exotic Particle Focuser consoles from the Fleet Research Lab, (well, the last 4. The first one needs to be the stupidly expensive Exotic Particle Field Exciter), because you can get EPG and CtrlX from each console. Is there an argument against these consoles from the Fleet Research Lab, or something I'm missing?

No argument, I use those myself. Others might take issue with the fact they are a fleet item and/or cost.

I was however referring to the fact that the three I mentioned (and the Pax Particle Generator as well) all use the same icon. So they can't be identified from an equipment-screen screenshot.

Yes, understood and agreed. I just grabbed your comment to reply to, because it was the latest in the chain which led to my question.

But I don't think the Fleet Research Lab consoles are really expensive; 5K Fleet Credits and 2500 Dil is relatively cheap, IMO, given they come out of the store already MK XII UR.

At MK XV UR you get 37.5 EPG and 25 CtrlX, or vice versa, which is a lot of oom pah pah for one console.
  • Options

Of course fleet consoles are probably the best for many science builds, however you need to earn fleet credits first, and get provisions access, and whatever else fleets need, and that's assuming you even bother with fleet stuff at all. And that is not to mention the many many things you can spend fleet credits on so you may put consoles on the back burner.

Standard consoles you can find as drops or mission rewards or buy them from the exchange fairly cheaply, and bellum consoles you are likely going to get a few just leveling up your disco rep. So when you're starting out with a fresh face, you use consoles that are less involved in getting or that you may just get anyway.

Also for hybrid type builds, you may actually want the crit chance from a bellum console over other mods on fleet consoles.
This discussion has been closed.