test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Kurtzman updates us on the Star Trek Universe (the TV shows)

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/08/alex-kurtzman-wants-more-short-treks-star-trek-series-writing-updates-pandemic-delays

Kurtzman wants more short treks, points to Short Treks Emmy nomination.

The Writers Rooms (via Zoom) for Star Trek Discovery, Star Trek Picard, Star Trek Strange New Worlds, Star Trek Lower Decks, Star Trek Section 31, Star Trek Prodigy are doing extremely well, the animated series already have their seasons 2 written, but everything else like special effects and music has turned to a nightmare to do, thanks to corona.

PS Midnight Edge is clueless about how things are actually going for Star Trek.

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @lordgyor said:
    > PS Midnight Edge is clueless about how things are actually going for Star Trek.

Of course he is. He's just a regukar guy doing 'controversial' youtube videos as clickbait. Since Star Trek fans love to hate, enough enjoy the doomsaying which he made up completeky on his own. What works for him is that wild speculation is as valid as facts nowadays - if something turns out to be true, he's a genius. If it turns out to be false it's just one big conspiracy and secretly he's right, but CBS doesn't want you to know.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Agreed. That's why I don't listen to ME or Doomcock or those other YouTubers who go off on a tangent about a franchise as if they got word from GOD himself about this information. Because that's how they act. Everything they say is true, even if they are proven wrong by the IP holders themselves because "Its a conspiracy!"

At least YouTubers like TrekYards and Eckhart's Ladder (who mostly does Star Wars videos) actually state that their views are opinions and not Word of God Truth.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    kemaiku#5456 kemaiku Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Midnights Edge are clueless about pretty much everything.

Always sure we were going to get more Short Treks, just not sure when we'll get them at this point. It would be nice if they continued the Enterprise ones to bridge DSC and SNW.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    Enterprise based ones could prove to be a problem cost-wise if it depends on redressing one of the DSC sets just for the Short. The turbolift is more or less universal so it could be filmed at any time, but there is only so much you can do in one which makes doing the shorts cost effective only when the sets are configured for SNW. That means the SNW shorts would be filmed and probably released at different times from the DSC ones.

Making shorts can be quite expensive unless they share resources with the main production, which is why some of the James Bond movies forgo the traditional hook short.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Agreed. That's why I don't listen to ME or Doomcock or those other YouTubers who go off on a tangent about a franchise as if they got word from GOD himself about this information. Because that's how they act. Everything they say is true, even if they are proven wrong by the IP holders themselves because "Its a conspiracy!"

At least YouTubers like TrekYards and Eckhart's Ladder (who mostly does Star Wars videos) actually state that their views are opinions and not Word of God Truth.
    I avoid every youtube channel that hates on whatever they're talking about. Why? because they rarely have any actual info. There is ONE Doomcock video worth watching, and that's a rare case where he did legwork. (this being the one where he actually did an interview of sorts with Anas Abdin)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    Wow. I never heard about Prodigy. I don’t think I am comfortable with it. I admit watching the review you posted on Lower Decks has me somewhat interested in that series... I am not ready to watch it yet, but I assume I will eventually.

And maybe a 40-year-old man is not the audience for Prodigy anyway. Perhaps I can pretend it won’t exist and continue my dotage in peaceful ignorance.

But I guess if you are going to compete with Star Wars and LEGO Star Wars and Rebels...and Mandalorian (spelling?)...

Maybe we need more Star Trek for younger audiences to grow the next generation of fans...or to compete with Marvel maybe...

I don’t know. But it makes me uncomfortable. I don’t like change.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    qultuq wrote: »
    Wow. I never heard about Prodigy. I don’t think I am comfortable with it. I admit watching the review you posted on Lower Decks has me somewhat interested in that series... I am not ready to watch it yet, but I assume I will eventually.

And maybe a 40-year-old man is not the audience for Prodigy anyway. Perhaps I can pretend it won’t exist and continue my dotage in peaceful ignorance.

But I guess if you are going to compete with Star Wars and LEGO Star Wars and Rebels...and Mandalorian (spelling?)...

Maybe we need more Star Trek for younger audiences to grow the next generation of fans...or to compete with Marvel maybe...

I don’t know. But it makes me uncomfortable. I don’t like change.

Prodigy sounds like some of the old proposals for a kids version of Trek, some of which have been kicking around since the '70s. In fact, the network wanted TAS to be a kids show complete with young teen cadets but Roddenberry convinced them to try the family hour format for it instead, and it worked out.

TNG was also supposed to have a "kids" thread to it too, which was the purpose of the dependents onboard thing. In fact, Wesley was such a Marty Stu because he was all that was left of a "wizkid gang" that was supposed to be featured in that thread all rolled into his one character after that part of the concept was dropped. The writers were having trouble with the three or four separate threads in each episode that setup required until Berman cut a lot of the original stuff out of the show and went with a simpler "space procedural" style with just an A and B thread and ignored the civilian stuff for the most part.

And those were just the ones that were fixable enough to actually make it to air (albeit without the kids show part itself), most of the others were just idiotic sounding and did not make it much further than the pitch.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Kurtzman, eh?

Wake me up after he's left. *plops back into bed*
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    Agreed. That's why I don't listen to ME or Doomcock or those other YouTubers who go off on a tangent about a franchise as if they got word from GOD himself about this information.

ME is really dumb most of the time. It's a pretty standard youtube-channel when it comes to franchises like Star Trek.

Doomcock... damn shame he is such an idiot. He does have a cool and (at least somewhat) unique style, but listening to his ramblings for too long might just damage your brain. His way of saying stuff is funny and eloquent at first glance, but really just annoying and repetetive. And he just keeps adding to the "fan-battle" even though he claimed that toxic fandoms might be an intended distraction to keep people away from important stuff. He didn't quite take his own words to heart.

And Trekyards... yikes... no thanks. Despite their constant disclaimer, these guys are very biased and high-up in their own "headcanon". At least the old guy is. They do know their sh*t though, and at least they also cover designs made by artists here and there. Like the Calypso-class, which was in the pipeline for the Fleet Operations-mod for STA2 (kinda still is, but the project has been changed to a stand-alone-thing and progress is apparently very slow).

Lore Reloaded... another fairly standard channel. Regurgitation is the name of the game. He makes good summaries, but with the slightest bit of research, this isn't hard to pull off. Spacedock and Certifiably ingame do the "research and make video"-thing a lot better.

Anti-Trekker sometimes has a few interesting tidbits (due to a slightly different perspective), but is mostly a fairly... weird channel?

Well, almost everybody seems to know RLM, and they do it best IMO. Mike and Rich know their sh*t too, they cover the good (where found) and the bad, and they recently talked a lot more about Trek than usual, thanks to the current shows.
  • Options
    Agreed. That's why I don't listen to ME or Doomcock or those other YouTubers who go off on a tangent about a franchise as if they got word from GOD himself about this information.

ME is really dumb most of the time. It's a pretty standard youtube-channel when it comes to franchises like Star Trek.

Doomcock... damn shame he is such an idiot. He does have a cool and (at least somewhat) unique style, but listening to his ramblings for too long might just damage your brain.

And Trekyards... yikes... no thanks. Despite their constant disclaimer, these guys are very biased and high-up in their own "headcanon". At least the old guy is. They do know their sh*t though, and at least they also cover designs made by artists here and there. Like the Calypso-class, which was in the pipeline for the Fleet Operations-mod for STA2 (kinda still is, but the project has been changed to a stand-alone-thing and progress is apparently very slow).

Did you actually watch Trekyards? They cover the good and bad parts of each Trek. They just don't treat Kurtzman like he's the greatest thing to happen in Trek ever.

Check out their covering the first 2 Lower Decks episodes. Also, LD feels like there is very little Kurtzman in here....seems McMann has the steering wheel, here, as it were.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    Did you actually watch Trekyards?

Quite a few episodes, and I stick with what I said about them.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    spacedock is definitely one of the better star trek (and sci-fi in general) youtube channels, as is venom greek media - though most of his stuff draws from star trek EU material, so not a good source of canon info if that's all you're looking for​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Kurtzman, eh?

Wake me up after he's left. *plops back into bed*
    Don't cut yourself on all that edge, champ.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,788 Arc User

Doomcock... damn shame he is such an idiot. He does have a cool and (at least somewhat) unique style, but listening to his ramblings for too long might just damage your brain.

Did you actually watch Trekyards? They cover the good and bad parts of each Trek. They just don't treat Kurtzman like he's the greatest thing to happen in Trek ever.

Check out their covering the first 2 Lower Decks episodes. Also, LD feels like there is very little Kurtzman in here....seems McMann has the steering wheel, here, as it were.

Kurtzman is great and everyone who thinks differently is like a cancer to the franchise, toxic or clueless .

~Very reasonable Kurtzman fan.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    I happen to be watching some ME youtube video's.

Which is why I visited this section on the forum, as I was curious what other people (apart from those in the YT-comment section) thought of it.

Too bad there's no actual refutal of things he said, like the 100 million dollars Netflix had to shell out because the actual franchise owner (CBS), apart from never having seriously invested in it, likes to have everyone else take the risk for these new series.

'He's just an idiot' has never really been a strong argument, guys.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    There is as little proof either. It's a common way to dress your speculative ramblings as something substantial. It's like saying aliens build stonehenge - there is technically no way to proof that it wasn't aliens, so some people claim it's a solid theory when ultimately there's nothing to show for. Just a spinned narrative.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    ME is pretty much Persona non Grata on the forums because of the devisive nature of his videos. Also he's been calling DOOOOOOOOOM on Star Trek for years now, claiming its dying, CBS is dying, ect.
    The evidence speaks otherwise. CBS is actually doing VERY well right now, and Star Trek is also doing very well right now. If Trek was dying... explain the number of new shows, INCLUDING ONE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR WITH CAPTAIN PIKE?

Do I agree with gating behind CBS AA? Not really. But pretty much rage posting on YouTube and claiming you're giving the truth when its just that one guy's opinion, and a rather aggressive one at that...
    ME has a well earned rep for doomsaying and attacking anything new, claiming its a failure, BEFORE IT IS EVEN RELEASED.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    There is as little proof either. It's a common way to dress your speculative ramblings as something substantial. It's like saying aliens build stonehenge - there is technically no way to proof that it wasn't aliens, so some people claim it's a solid theory when ultimately there's nothing to show for. Just a spinned narrative.

There is truth in what you say.
    ME is pretty much Persona non Grata on the forums because of the devisive nature of his videos. Also he's been calling DOOOOOOOOOM on Star Trek for years now, claiming its dying, CBS is dying, ect.
    The evidence speaks otherwise. CBS is actually doing VERY well right now, and Star Trek is also doing very well right now. If Trek was dying... explain the number of new shows, INCLUDING ONE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR WITH CAPTAIN PIKE?

Do I agree with gating behind CBS AA? Not really. But pretty much rage posting on YouTube and claiming you're giving the truth when its just that one guy's opinion, and a rather aggressive one at that...
    ME has a well earned rep for doomsaying and attacking anything new, claiming its a failure, BEFORE IT IS EVEN RELEASED.

Persona non grata on the forums?

Is he the former mod of this forum? I remember we had a guy named 'Midnight'-something a long time ago...

As for captain Pike and that show: I read in the comments of one of ME's episode the theory that Star Trek as a product is just serving as a so-called 'loss leader'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader

Basically, they're accepting losses because the success of their All Access platform is what's actually their concern. Not a potential bleeding of money through the bad performance of one series (which, if the Netflix claims are true, is mostly covered by other companies anyway).

ME himself also made the claim in a video that they may simply be trying to raise interest in Discovery and Picard by promising all sorts of other spin-offs.

Now, to be clear: he did add that sources for all this (including sets being dismantled and double wrapping up of Discovery season 3 because reshoots had to be done) were limited (not non-existent, but limited) and that it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Do I believe everything he says is true - or that all of it even makes sense? No, of course not. His complaints about political 'propaganda' (don't really remember if he actually used that term, but anyway) for instance are just silly, like they are in most cases where people complain about political views being present in Trek. (Dave Cullen / Computing Forever with his random 'Communism!' are even worse examples of how ridiculous these complaints usually are, imo.)

But he makes some good points nevertheless. Like CBS not releasing viewer stats for the series, the shady business practices, the fact that someone (Kurtzman, who apparently has a career that mostly consists of failing in whatever he does) who has explicitly said that he doesn't care about Trek is suddenly in charge of all of it...

And he did provide evidence in the form of Google results for Discovery and Picard, which were shown to be declining as the show progressed.

Yes, some people on YouTube are just complaining for the heck of it, or so that they can make video's and get ad incomes from YT. That doesn't mean that all of their criticism is wrong. Quite a lot of people apparently agree with it, or nobody would know him and we wouldn't be discussing it now.

• Options

Is he the former mod of this forum? I remember we had a guy named 'Midnight'-something a long time ago...

As for captain Pike and that show: I read in the comments of one of ME's episode the theory that Star Trek as a product is just serving as a so-called 'loss leader'.

Basically, they're accepting losses because the success of their All Access platform is what's actually their concern. Not a potential bleeding of money through the bad performance of one series (which, if the Netflix claims are true, is mostly covered by other companies anyway).

ME himself also made the claim in a video that they may simply be trying to raise interest in Discovery and Picard by promising all sorts of other spin-offs.

Now, to be clear: he did add that sources for all this (including sets being dismantled and double wrapping up of Discovery season 3 because reshoots had to be done) were limited (not non-existent, but limited) and that it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Do I believe everything he says is true - or that all of it even makes sense? No, of course not. His complaints about political 'propaganda' (don't really remember if he actually used that term, but anyway) for instance are just silly, like they are in most cases where people complain about political views being present in Trek. (Dave Cullen / Computing Forever with his random 'Communism!' are even worse examples of how ridiculous these complaints usually are, imo.)

But he makes some good points nevertheless. Like CBS not releasing viewer stats for the series, the shady business practices, the fact that someone (Kurtzman, who apparently has a career that mostly consists of failing in whatever he does) who has explicitly said that he doesn't care about Trek is suddenly in charge of all of it...

And he did provide evidence in the form of Google results for Discovery and Picard, which were shown to be declining as the show progressed.

Yes, some people on YouTube are just complaining for the heck of it, or so that they can make video's and get ad incomes from YT. That doesn't mean that all of their criticism is wrong. Quite a lot of people apparently agree with it, or nobody would know him and we wouldn't be discussing it now.

I just wish CBS would get someone who likes and cares about trek to produce it, rather than someone who don't give a damn, and/or wanting to chance things for the mere sake of changing things.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options

No. ME's videos have been used for gatekeeping on the forums, and typically just results in flame wars.
  • Options

I just wish CBS would get someone who likes and cares about trek to produce it, rather than someone who don't give a damn, and/or wanting to chance things for the mere sake of changing things.

I guess that would make too much sense for them to actually do it.

Or they may have simply forgotten that people like Jonathan Frakes are still around. I wouldn't even be surprised anymore at this point.

• Options

No. ME's videos have been used for gatekeeping on the forums, and typically just results in flame wars.

Oh, ok.

I hadn't really seen them until now.

• Options

I guess that would make too much sense for them to actually do it.

Or they may have simply forgotten that people like Jonathan Frakes are still around. I wouldn't even be surprised anymore at this point.

Who knows...
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    Actually... Frakes has directed episodes of both Discovery and Picard, and they even brought Riker back for a couple episodes of Picard.
    And pretty much everyone, that I am aware of anyways, says that the episodes Frakes directed were the best.

Also Kurtzman has announced that the new Pike series will be more like TOS in terms of being positive and episodic.
    Sounds like he's listening, and will be providing something for everyone in one form or another.
    Wish I had CBS AA now as I'm honestly looking forward to SNW and want to see more Pike.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    life finds a way, matey​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    Actually... Frakes has directed episodes of both Discovery and Picard, and they even brought Riker back for a couple episodes of Picard.
    And pretty much everyone, that I am aware of anyways, says that the episodes Frakes directed were the best.

Also Kurtzman has announced that the new Pike series will be more like TOS in terms of being positive and episodic.
    Sounds like he's listening, and will be providing something for everyone in one form or another.
    Wish I had CBS AA now as I'm honestly looking forward to SNW and want to see more Pike.

I'll believe that when I see it. Until he actually pulls it off....or should I say IF he pulls it off, Kurtzman's a bean counter who thinks he has talent, like the rest of the 20+ producers Disco had who thought the same thing.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options

I know, that's why I sarcastically mentioned that they may have forgotten there's a real Trek alumnus who's willing to be involved in directing and leading things.

He's actually actively involved. And he is by far the best candidate to actually be in charge of things. Not only was he involved in TNG itself, but also its related movies (both as an actor and director in some cases) AND also in literally all other series after TNG.

Not to mention that people like Bryan Fuller and Nicholas Meyer were still around at some time.

Yet they gave the ultimate responsibility to someone who has no idea what Trek is about (per his own saying), who usually seems clueless during interviews and who, in general, seems to have little success in directing... anything, really.

• Options
    edited August 2020

That's not really a good thing though, because Frakes was one of the drivers behind the TNG-movies being more stupid-action-oriented. Acting Captain Riker wanting to kick somebody's TRIBBLE is not exactly "Enterprise-material".

I am fine with Discovery, for all its flaws.
    Picard sadly has absolutely nothing going for it.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Discovery would have been great had it been done in an inclusive way instead of apparently trying to brute force a totally different Star Trek to overwrite TOS. In fact, it doesn't have continuity problems with just TOS, it has them with the rest of Trek, with things as simple as the JJWindow instead of screens, as well as much more complex issues like a vastly different society (societies actually, since the Klingons are an even worse match culturally than DSC Fed) and tone, that have wide-reaching ramifications.

It is a good generic sci-fi show, but as Star Trek it falls a bit short because all the deliberate discontinuities are irritating enough to take the shine off (not to mention the very shallow action-hero style plots).

• Options
    Discovery would have been great had it been done in an inclusive way instead of apparently trying to brute force a totally different Star Trek to overwrite TOS. In fact, it doesn't have continuity problems with just TOS, it has them with the rest of Trek, with things as simple as the JJWindow instead of screens, as well as much more complex issues like a vastly different society (societies actually, since the Klingons are an even worse match culturally than DSC Fed) and tone, that have wide-reaching ramifications.

It is a good generic sci-fi show, but as Star Trek it falls a bit short because all the deliberate discontinuities are irritating enough to take the shine off (not to mention the very shallow action-hero style plots).

I think we can add annoying characters to that. (And uninteresting characters when they're not annoying.)

I like Saru, I liked Pike. Georgiou (both of them actually, though I generally dislike MU characters and prefer 'regular' ones) and Sarek were great too. Likewise, I could appreciate Cornwell and admiral Anderson.

Reno really is one of the best characters. Lorca was interesting too, I certainly hope we'll see Prime Lorca one day, hopefully as a more permanent addition to the crew.

But except for Saru of course, these are all either very minor characters or dead (somewhat, for now). Even Pike was only present in one season and likely won't be part of Discovery anymore.

The problems with Burnham - and her being central to everything - have already been extensively explained by others. TNG, TOS, Voyager, Enterprise and most certainly DS9 were never so much about one character as Discovery is. Even Spock of all people is basically reduced to filler for her story.