test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[HOUSE DIVIDED] "The Centre Cannot Hold" and "Khitomer Discord" Feedback and Discussion

Comments

• xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    the dea ex machina A'detpa
    A Deus Ex Mchina is a plot element introduced out of nowhere in order to solve and otherwise unsolvable problem. A'detpa was introduced back in the Tzenkethi arc, as the source of information in regards to Martok being alive, and his location, can seen standing around DS9 alongside Kurn and Martok during ViL, and story blogs between ViL and now reveal she is Mo'Kai. has been keeping the Mo'Kai's intelligence databse safe/updated for years, and then goes and pledges herself to J'Ula. Shes been part of STO's story since July 7th, 2017.

Already introduced characters (or other elements) can also be a Deus ex Machina if either them being there doesn't make sense or there is some previously unknown property they have not discussed before. And I do think that the story in game should work even if you don't read the story blog (although I appreciate it). If A'detpa was shown to be Mo'kai earlier in game, or there were at least hints for it, then I'll retract. As I said I haven't been able to do any real playing in months, so I may be a bit off on my STO lore.

As for the protection of Khitomer: maybe not a conference per se, but I'd say places with such high ranking diplomats as our favorite talkative Fed ambassador or the Alliance chairman, I'd say security is a good idea to have in place. Especially since by now the Alliance and all of its members individually should be quite accustomed to "enemy suddenly appearing in our midst" and prepare just a wee bit for that. Now consider that not too long before that there was a fight with rebels in First City, maybe add some security here and there?
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    All I have to say about the Alliance Chairperson:
    Worst Alliance Chairperson ever!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah... lol... in TNG they had ships self destruct after getting a virus...
    U.S.S. Yamato caught an *ICONIAN* virus. You know, the bad guys with a cliché Anakin's-style-good-guys-gone-bad's-wrath with technologies that are a few millennia ahead of Starfleet's?
    That was Yamato. What about the Enterprise herself? The Iconians weren't the only ones. Or did you forget about the race whose tech was as low below the Federation as you think the Federation was below the Iconians?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    just did the tfo for the first time: what a boring tfo! no fun, no new mechanic (again, defend crappy sat etc).
    this game is just begun boring, no new stuff, no fun, no suprises. it is always the same stuff with little modifications.

take the time to create dlc's with new contents (good stories, with good scriprs), new weapons (ground and space), new costumes etc at a fair price: 10, 20 or 30 euros and the health of this game would be better. for now, my wallet is closed for an unlimited time.

why i would buy a ship at 30 euros for doing content with this average quality, or doing the same thing again, and again and again for no real interesting rewards.
    And give me a way to buy stuff, out of these crappy boxes (without ec; ec prices are ridiculous), and i would open my wallet.

good luck for the future.

@darkbladejk this person does nothing but doom post.. not within community guidelines IMHO
    Spock.jpg

Ok here is my take on the whole khitomer thing: Id you are JH, shoot Ju'la they the chips fall. you are bred to do just that. If you are Fed, Stun Ju'la and take her into custody, and the you tell J'mpok you are turning her over to your chain of command. This is exactly what most of us did back when Sela wanted a prisoner. If J'mpok fights, he's fighting you, Enterprise and PROBABLY and KDF that is pro-Martok, or has a decent sense of honor.
    If you Are Romulan, Shoot Jula, and if you get a chance, shoot J'mpok for good measure.

If you Are KDF, Shoot Ju'la , display her carcass to the Galaxy, and challenge J'mpok for the chancellorship. In other words, be a KLINGON.

under no circumstance would you run and hide.
    Spock.jpg

coldnapalm wrote: »
    Also it wasn't a major conference, Khitomer is Alliance HQ, and everyone is there because that is where they are normally.

You realize that our character are admirals by the time of this mission right? ANY conference we go to is a major one.
    You realize that our character are admirals by the time of this mission right? ANY conference we go to is a major one.
    Thats not how it works because
    1. Starfleet has dozens of admirals often doing conferences. Doesn't make any of them major.
    2. THERE WAS NO CONFERENCE IN THE MISSION AT ALL
    So yeah.
    The rank thing is broken and arguably meaningless. There are couple millions service members in Starfleet, plausibly tens of millions. Iconic characters like Kirk, Picard and Janeway spent over a decade to sit in a captain's chair, and spent at least a decade more to become a one pin admiral. And two years ago, our character still was a senior Starfleet Academy cadet on a training cruise. Special event prematurely put us in a captain chair and it's debatable but plausible. But becoming an admiral in a matter of weeks afterwards is ridiculous. Worst, there's only one Fleet Admiral in Starfleet, and right now it's Jorel Quinn. And he's glued to his chair on ESD managing the fleet.

WTF? where do you get the There can be only one thing?
    In 1944, the rank of 5-star or fleet admiral was created. 4 were appointed, Nimitz, Halsey, Leahy and King, those are the only 4 to hold that rank since it is considered a wartime rank.

and as far as how many admirals there are, there 216 flag officers in the US Navy. considering there are roughly 280ish ships, that's almost literally one flag per ship. and if you want additional info there is roughly 52,300 officers in the US Navy. I am certain the Army and Air force command structures are similar
    Spock.jpg

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Spruance was supposed to get the 4th, but Halsey got it instead. Spruance did get a special bill to award him fill Admiral's pay for the rest of his life.

Halsey and Spruance took turns commanding the giant battle Fleet in the Pacific alternating naming them the 3rd and 5th Fleets respectively.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • philexanphilexan Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    I enjoyed Khitomer Discord, even after reading spoilers before playing it, but I like to think of my character as a chaotic neutral type who chases trade profit, so siding with an enemy wasn't so bad. The Centre Cannot Hold seemed long and boring to me though. I think in future missions it would be nice to have optional readable/watchable security logs, data tablets, etc. to flesh out more of the back story and bring about more character development, but again have them as optional, so if you just want to run and gun to get the end reward you can.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    Well after coming back and playing through the latest two missions. I think its rather obvious what is going on, J'mpok isn't the real enemy since they tend to give Alliance leaders immunity to plot things that should kill them. What this storyline is strongly hinting is there is now an active version of Control, likely a version downloaded off the Glenn. J'ula brought it to the future and now its up to is old tricks. Meaning J'mpok is now assimilated and Control took his place.

After doing the missions at first didn't make sense then I connected the dots and now it does.
    i will be honest I did not see that twist coming. But if you watched season two of Discovery and payed attention to things that happened in the story. Then you would know what is going on in game with this new story arc. Control is back and now a threat in the current timeline of Sto.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    except cryptic's story blog last week completely throws that theory in the dumpster​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Martok? Molor? Landry? Mirror Tilly (we dealt her enough punishment to kill her three times at least!)? Sela (arguably)? All the ghosts from the past in the Excaliban two parters?
    I get the feeling this post was intentionally disingenuous.
    -Sela never dies in the TV shows/movies, or STO.
    -Martok never dies in the TV shows/movies, and his supposed death before STO was always hinted at to be faked.
    -Landry was never brought back to life. We only interact with her before her death in Discovery.
    -Killy was never actually confirmed dead in Discovery.
    -Molor was never brought back to life, all we see is a hallucination.
    -Nobody in Measure of Morality was brought back to life. We met simulacrums of them, but they themselves are still dead. The simulacrums aren't even on the level of clones.

So... yeah. Everyone who died is still dead.

Yeah only one of those that really are arguable are Killy (we know ISS Discovery was destroyed by the klingons making Starfleet think USS Discovery was lost) and Martok where we only had J'mpok's word that he died as far as I recall and it was heavily implied if not outright stated that only reason Martok is alive was because he was shipped to the Briar Patch installation while mortally wounded and that healed him.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    because sonequa martin-green is significantly less expensive than william shatner AND she was actually willing to do VA work for STO, while shatner is not​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    Well, the Excalbians' results with Kirk ended up inconclusive, so it makes sense they wouldn't bring them back so they can have truly new data.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Well, the Excalbians' results with Kirk ended up inconclusive, so it makes sense they wouldn't bring them back so they can have truly new data.
    Yeah Lincoln was the only returning player, and this time he was an observer.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • aeieaeie Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Oh, about that shooting in the face stuff, Romulan Character, 'Cutting the Cord', Hakeev.
    My Liberated Borg Romulan, shot Hakeev in the face and would do it again, with out hesitation.
    On a different note, one of the recent events that had 7of9 in it, that you "replayed" that missions did not go how it went for me, you stopped someone else from doing it, which isnt how it happened, nor how it would have happened either for a Romualn/Liberated Romulan.
    So...even in the klingon centric story arc, we are treated as if we are all starfleet...nice...that is just peachy keen.
    As above, Romulan doesn't even get a choice, we fall into which allies we chose and that's about the only meaningful choice we have ever made apparently.

I say the above, to emphasize what i say below.

As to the story itself.

First, was okay. I didnt have any real problems with it as it's the usal go here, talk to this person or that, interact with such and such. Balr de blar blar. Nothing special, just the usual setup, spring board for the story. Not that anyone would have been surprised a fight broke out in the Klingon High council. /sarcasm That's like saying the sky is red on Qo'nos, it's a given. Pretty much, expected stuff happened. No real complaints here.

2nd one,is a bit different.
    I agree with others, especially as someone who mains a Romulan (Liberated Borg at that).
    There are some glaring issues, in the view point of a Romulan, KDF allied (in my case) or not.
    I'll make some bullet points, and while they may not "work for the plot/story" it's as if the writers have completely forgotten Romulans are a people who have lost everything and are NOT willing to leave things to chance or take unnecessary risks:

-In the early part of the mission we are literally "blown off" by a lot of the characters we interact with, about the only person there that treats both the player and Martok as they should is the receptionist to the Klingon hall, that's it.
    Personally i found that odd, in a diplomatic area or not, diplomats are not going to snub their nose at someone who is known to have killed thousands or even millions of people. It's also one of the very obvious reasons J'mpok wants us removed, we are a threat to him. He knows we could kill him at any time. Just saying.

-J'ula, would have been executed IMMEDIATELY.
    No questions asked, she is a known threat to the Romulan Republic, period. I will not stake the lives of my ship much less the lives of everyone on New Romulas to someone like her. She has proven to be a threat and would be summarily be removed, end of story. Definitely not a Fed way of thinking, but a Romulan has no qualms about the removal of enemies. In this instance i doubt even Martok would have qualms with the actions with a Romulan's way of thinking.

-So i am locked in another tin can, like that's never happened before. Got out of those i'd get out of this one too.

-Was also not a fan, of staring at the weapon wave in "terror". I'm the one that gets people moving, telling them to move it or loose it. Not falling over myself. I'm a commander of a ship and have dealt with this very type of threat before, and it would be handled in such fashion. Orders being given and directives to be followed, nothing more nothing less. It's my job after all, one I have pride in. There's always "one last duty to perform", regardless of the circumstances.

-As to the "friends" attacking me? It went as well as can be expected by Romulan philosophy or expectations at least. It's just the way life is. In this regard, it's almost a "so what else is new"?

-J'mpok would be the next name to be added to the butt kicking list, and removed. given his treacherous actions.
  • millefune#8468 millefune Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    So just finished The Khitomer Discord (did The Centre Cannot Hold yesterday). Wow, this is good stuff. I really hope that at the end of it all, J'mpok gets replaced. I really didn't enjoy working/serving him on my KDF character (my main is Starfleet, of course). I don't like J'Ula either, though, she belongs in the past. Let's go Martok!

But now I'm in "MMO Time" as a fugitive in hiding that's still able to run around ESD and Qo'nos with no consequence. Anyway, I can't wait for the next parts of this. It's a very enjoyable story.

Yes, I'm a filthy PlayStation/Console player.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    LOTRO had an interesting mechanic in part of its 'Riders of Rohan' Expansion. There is a point in the Quest flow that Thane Harding of Hartwick banishes you from the Town. Until you clear your name, if any of the specially marked guards in Town find you there they will throw you out of Town.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    So just finished The Khitomer Discord (did The Centre Cannot Hold yesterday). Wow, this is good stuff. I really hope that at the end of it all, J'mpok gets replaced. I really didn't enjoy working/serving him on my KDF character (my main is Starfleet, of course). I don't like J'Ula either, though, she belongs in the past. Let's go Martok!

But now I'm in "MMO Time" as a fugitive in hiding that's still able to run around ESD and Qo'nos with no consequence. Anyway, I can't wait for the next parts of this. It's a very enjoyable story.

Yes, I'm a filthy PlayStation/Console player.

Hang on there. You just had to talk nonsense and get me to login.
    There are only two things wrong with being a console player. You get updates later than PCs, and you are on a different server than the PCs. Neither of them are your fault.
    So hold your head high and enjoy that which we all here do.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    LOTRO had an interesting mechanic in part of its 'Riders of Rohan' Expansion. There is a point in the Quest flow that Thane Harding of Hartwick banishes you from the Town. Until you clear your name, if any of the specially marked guards in Town find you there they will throw you out of Town.
    I was half-jokingly hoping President Okeg, after giving his speech about the hero ship replicas, would tell you "Oh by the way, you're under arrest for suspicion of war crimes and terrorist acts, so please lower your shields and await transportation for interrogation. Thank you for your cooperation."
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
This discussion has been closed.