test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

In the STO Year of the Klingon, all player factions except Klingon get free DOFFs today?

It seems like the lower decks doffs are for feds only, and C-store does not have any equivalent free klingon doff's.

Suggestions:
1 - let Klingons get the 4 lower deck doffs and make them useable in the "Execute a duty officer for incompetence" mission.
or
2 - Let klingon players get free duty officer pack (usually have 4 doffs in them) as an since we cant get the 4 lower deck doffs.
or
3 - Create some special klingon doffs (upper deck doffs).

Comments

• nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Welcome to STO. You must be new here. At least now you don't have to level a Fed character to 20 to get a KDF char and they finally got around recently adding KDF science ships at the T6 level. So it's not all doom and gloom. You still don't get much in the way of color choices like feds do for their outfits.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    4 - be less entitled?
    5 - switch to decaf bloodwine?

There are only two main factions so "all player factions except Klingon" is just one faction, Federation.

KDF gets bikini armor warriors, the chance to visit Grethor, cool ships like the Kar'Fi and Mat'Ha. KDF does not get some free green-quality doffs worth maybe 200K EC.
  • kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    4 - be less entitled?

There are only two main factions so "all player factions except Klingon" is just one faction, Federation.

KDF gets bikini armor warriors, the chance to visit Grethor, cool ships like the Kar'Fi and Mat'Ha. KDF does not get some free green-quality doffs worth maybe 200K EC.
    Feds got more than plenty already!
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    So... Year of Klingon means an absolute dead stop to ALL content that is not KDF? That's not how things go. And those DOffs are to commerate the launch of Star Trek: Lower Decks.

And people are flipping out over Duty Officers of all things...
    Klingons recently got a totally revamped tutorial, some revamped missions, revamped canon ship models, some new customization options including a more canon TNG uniform... and its DOffs that are causing a riot?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    So... Year of Klingon means an absolute dead stop to ALL content that is not KDF? That's not how things go. And those DOffs are to commerate the launch of Star Trek: Lower Decks.

Klingons recently got a totally revamped tutorial, some revamped missions, revamped canon ship models, some new customization options including a more canon TNG uniform... and its DOffs that are causing a riot?

Well to be honest Feds already got all of that...and now you got people seeing 1 Orion in Starfleet and people are like "OMG Federation needs playable Orions!"
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    4 - be less entitled?

If you give stuff away for "free" that only one faction can use, it does tend to create a sense of entitlement. A got it, so why can't B have something similar? What is wrong with that idea?

In almost all other areas, as far as I'm aware, FED and KDF doffs are largely mirrored. However, KDF doffs are much more expensive on the exchange, if you can even find the ones you want at all, so finding ones to fill out an active roster is quite a bit more difficult. Feds therefore already have much easier access to the doffs they want while KDF struggles.

I don't see an issue asking for similar doffs. I don't see an issue in them releasing FED doffs now and counterpart KDF doffs later, but they really should say so if they go that route. Frankly, I thought the doffs were going to be usable by both factions, and if they aren't as people are saying, that's a big oversight.

THIS IS SPECULATION: And here's the thing, there may already be a counterpart set in the making because the show might involve the lower decks crew meeting counterparts when they visit whatever Klingon world we saw in the trailer. Cryptic therefore would have to wait to release them. I have no idea what the show will bring, but its a possibility.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    4 - be less entitled?

If you give stuff away for "free" that only one faction can use, it does tend to create a sense of entitlement. A got it, so why can't B have something similar? What is wrong with that idea?

A polite request would be reasonable. The thread title was not polite.
    However, KDF doffs are much more expensive on the exchange, if you can even find the ones you want at all, so finding ones to fill out an active roster is quite a bit more difficult. Feds therefore already have much easier access to the doffs they want while KDF struggles.

True for rare and VR, but green are cheap and also easy to get from the 48 hour free doff missions.
    I don't see an issue asking for similar doffs. I don't see an issue in them releasing FED doffs now and counterpart KDF doffs later, but they really should say so if they go that route. Frankly, I thought the doffs were going to be usable by both factions, and if they aren't as people are saying, that's a big oversight.

THIS IS SPECULATION: And here's the thing, there may already be a counterpart set in the making because the show might involve the lower decks crew meeting counterparts when they visit whatever Klingon world we saw in the trailer. Cryptic therefore would have to wait to release them. I have no idea what the show will bring, but its a possibility.

Maybe, but Cryptic might not know about any possible future KDF lower decks crew if it is going to happen, and CBS might not let them spoiler it if that crew is coming.

Also, 70% of players are Fed so it's reasonable (if not ideal) that Feds are going to get more stuff. Feddie bears most likely pay more than twice as much (as a group) to keep the game running.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User

Nobody is saying dead stop for Feds, people are just asking for something similar for the other faction. I mean it took how long for T6 science ships to show for KDF players? That kind of mentality is part of the reason this game relies on store sales over content to get the $$$ in.

I mean honestly do game companies want to have people spread the word around not to play their game because they choose one side over another? Not good business. Still I think STO is long past that at this point so carry on.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    nimbull wrote: »

Nobody is saying dead stop for Feds, people are just asking for something similar for the other faction. I mean it took how long for T6 science ships to show for KDF players? That kind of mentality is part of the reason this game relies on store sales over content to get the $$$ in.

I mean honestly do game companies want to have people spread the word around not to play their game because they choose one side over another? Not good business. Still I think STO is long past that at this point so carry on.

There was a Klingon Science Vessel (actual Klingon design) almost four years ago. The Naj'sov. That even preceded the T6 Gorn designs, which were the "traditional" source of KDF Science ships.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    > @nimbull said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Nobody is saying dead stop for Feds, people are just asking for something similar for the other faction. I mean it took how long for T6 science ships to show for KDF players? That kind of mentality is part of the reason this game relies on store sales over content to get the $$$ in.
    >
    > I mean honestly do game companies want to have people spread the word around not to play their game because they choose one side over another? Not good business. Still I think STO is long past that at this point so carry on.

Yes people are demanding, not asking demanding Cryptic to stop making FED every single time content avaiable to fed is added, some are even demanding outright removal of fed content, it's gotten almost to point that I'm ashamed to have KDF chars.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    And its usually the same group of people with some low post counts mixed in.

Hell... we still get the odd "Bug Fix season" requests where they literally stop ALL development across the board to do nothing BUT bug fixing until the game is bug free.
    Problem is they don't realize that the second you fix or add something, something else will most likely break, meaning there is NEVER going to be a bug free MMO.

Anyways... this attitude those people show really gets extremely annoying. I mean... they are getting a lot of stuff this year, and its not enough. The SECOND something is made for Feds in the Year of Klingon... "get the pitchforks people! We've been betrayed!" Doesn't even matter if its a set of green quality DOffs to celebrate the release of a new show either. "How DARE they do what they have done in the past to celebrate the launch of a new show! THEY BETRAYED US! WE MUST RAGE POST!"

I'd express my opinion a little bit more colorfully out of a need to vent, but... it would violate forum rules.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    spiritborn wrote: »
    > @nimbull said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Nobody is saying dead stop for Feds, people are just asking for something similar for the other faction. I mean it took how long for T6 science ships to show for KDF players? That kind of mentality is part of the reason this game relies on store sales over content to get the $$$ in.
    >
    > I mean honestly do game companies want to have people spread the word around not to play their game because they choose one side over another? Not good business. Still I think STO is long past that at this point so carry on.

Yes people are demanding, not asking demanding Cryptic to stop making FED every single time content avaiable to fed is added, some are even demanding outright removal of fed content, it's gotten almost to point that I'm ashamed to have KDF chars.
    OK, I do agree in this.
    Though I a nigh full KDF, yes, that is incorrect.
    Still, Feds do have a lot more than the other factions.
    And that, as well, ain't correct.

Still, they (KDF) should not touch Fed based stuff!!!

Cryptic then should release more for first now Roms and Dominion, a wee less for KDF, and virtual zero for a while for Feds.

But, that's just me.
    And no, while I have 1 Rom and 1 Dom, I still feel these are more neglected even than the KDF...
  • mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    I can understand OP's frustration, especially since these doffs have unique active abilities.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    mez83 wrote: »
    I can understand OP's frustration, especially since these doffs have unique active abilities.

That's honestly the only part that doesn't set well with me.

Considering the silliness of it, I don't see why they don't just make 'red' cards of the exact same characters for the KDF-aligned. If having them on a KDF ship is that big of a deal, just update their suit art to prison garbs or whatever.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2020

That said, I get the OP's "point". This is the YOK, yet there are no KDF equivalent to these doffs. Well, the thing is...this is a Fed show. So you're right, there AREN'T any KDF equivalent to these doffs.

And TBQH, any KDF equivalent of these doffs would be executed for incompetence anyway. So...maybe you can RP you got some and had to execute them :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • peregrine0falconperegrine0falcon Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    It took ten years, but it's nice to see that it's finally happening. :)
    "Any change to non-good alignment immediately strips the ranger of all benefits, and the character becomes a fighter, with eight-sided hit dice, ever after, and can never regain ranger status."
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I haven't even been really impressed with Cryptic's self-titled "Year of the Klingon" content so far. Two missions, a couple of new ship skins, some reworkings for the tutorial which are well done, a couple of TFOs, a couple of Patrols or something like that?

Perhaps the pandemic is disrupting Cryptic's original plan & if so that is sympathetic but that still leaves a feeling of lacking comparatively fair or not.

Concerning the free DOFFs for all but KDF-aligned within the "Year of the Klingon", if one experiences Cryptic's decisions/actions long enough one learns to expect such half-measures by Cryptic, however; this was specifically for that "Lower Decks" cartoon so I'm inclined to look pass it.

I mean if/when, hopefully when, Cryptic creates & releases a Klingon Legendary ship pack & if it includes KDF-aligned only DOFFs &/or BOFFs I wouldn't expect Cryptic to release a free Fed version too of DOFFs &/or BOFFs just for the sake of counter-balance.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    I noticed this about the Lower Decks doffs. The main thing here is that in the blog post about it, there is no mention of it being Fed side only. Thus, this could fall in the false advertising side of things there. One couldn't really make a lawsuit of it, since, you know they're free.

Right now, while I agree, this is a rather poor thing for Cryptic to do. It's also a predictable and laughable one. This really is nothing out of the ordinary for Crypitc. This could also be a mistake on Cryptic's part. Who knows. Though I do agree they should have at least given a mirrored set to the KDF, or let them have these as well. Doesn't matter if the Lower Decks plans on doing things with Klingons. STo only references the lore and shows.

Right now... I'd just like for them to fix the blasted typo here. What is a Festval?

cmOy6Iu.png?1
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    Kinda annoyed aswell that these UNIQUE ABILITY Doffs are Fed-side only.
    If they had common abilities, I wouldn't have cared much.
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    claudiusdk wrote: »
    Kinda annoyed aswell that these UNIQUE ABILITY Doffs are Fed-side only.
    If they had common abilities, I wouldn't have cared much.

Cryptic could've spent minimum time creating (4) generic uncommon KDF-aligned DOFFs with the same traits as the Lower Decks DOFFs & whatever KDF-aligned face pics, that's why I bought the Doctor Hologram BOFF from Mudd's & not Geordi La Forge, the Doctor had a KDF counter-part whereas Geordi's Hologram sadly didn't.

At this point do we really expect Cryptic to take an extra-step for the players' benefit most of the time, especially for non-Fed-aligned?

Cryptic was probably told by CBS to create a Lower Decks STO tie-in so Cryptic did just what they had to do & probably didn't even entertain a thought of maybe doing more.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    Of course, there could be KDF-aligned equivalent doffs waiting in the wings if the cartoon has the "heroes" of Lower Decks run into their Klingon equivalents somewhere down the line, and if so Cryptic could not release them right now because of non-disclosure. It probably isn't the case, but it is possible so this strife may be for nothing.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Of course, there could be KDF-aligned equivalent doffs waiting in the wings if the cartoon has the "heroes" of Lower Decks run into their Klingon equivalents somewhere down the line, and if so Cryptic could not release them right now because of non-disclosure. It probably isn't the case, but it is possible so this strife may be for nothing.
    Actually, today's livestream had a bit where Borticus mentioned that Cryptic didn't know the release date of LD ahead of the public release. How do we know they have ANY inside info?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    I am rather dissapointed the kdf don't get an equivalent set (honestly, some of those abilities are crazy good for an uncommon card) as I could do evil, unholy things with the waste disposal launcher on my kdf malon (plus that medic card is pretty good... 20% chance of a 2sec cd on all kit abilities on cd, on anyone in a heal aoe you cast)

Even so...its not worth throwing my toys out the pram for - although I do think if the boot was on the other foot; the fed faction would recieve a mirror pack - its best to just leave it be, its really not worth the bother I feel.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    burstorion wrote: »
    I am rather dissapointed the kdf don't get an equivalent set (honestly, some of those abilities are crazy good for an uncommon card) as I could do evil, unholy things with the waste disposal launcher on my kdf malon (plus that medic card is pretty good... 20% chance of a 2sec cd on all kit abilities on cd, on anyone in a heal aoe you cast)

Even so...its not worth throwing my toys out the pram for - although I do think if the boot was on the other foot; the fed faction would recieve a mirror pack - its best to just leave it be, its really not worth the bother I feel.
    Yeah I don't think the devs want to just make up new characters for this. These doffs represent unique named characters. Maybe after a few eps?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    We gotta face the facts.

KDF and FED will always have some quirks.
    FED will always be about diversity and political intrigues.
    KDF will always be about honor and tradition.

I'm still waiting for the LGBT KDF feelts and for the Conservative FED fleets to appear. Until I see those, we need to accept the differences and not get a bunch of mediocre-to-useless doffs. The "Alliance" is close :)

Imagine having those on a kdf ship. It's a matter of (short) time until you get them executed for incompetence (Who uses doff missions as a kdf, knows what I mean).
    casualsto wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the LGBT KDF feelts and for the Conservative FED fleets to appear.
    Not sure how a Klingon would react to LGBT people...
    Not very well, I gather...?
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    > @kiksken said:
    > (Quote)
    > Not sure how a Klingon would react to LGBT people...
    > Not very well, I gather...?

Well we already got a klingon TRIBBLE couple in game, sure it's just that one pair but the way they're depicted it seems LGBT klingons aren't seen as odd.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    kiksken wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the LGBT KDF feelts and for the Conservative FED fleets to appear.

not necessarily, if for no other reason then klingons value warrior over just about anything else if a LGBT person is a great warrior or even just passable the rest is less important. plus klingon culture is such that any responding to any extreme bigotry with a backhand then a fight to the death, and when questioned saying they disrespected me and my house is valid behavior.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    nightken wrote: »
    kiksken wrote: »

not necessarily, if for no other reason then klingons value warrior over just about anything else if a LGBT person is a great warrior or even just passable the rest is less important. plus klingon culture is such that any responding to any extreme bigotry with a backhand then a fight to the death, and when questioned saying they disrespected me and my house is valid behavior.
    Depends...
    Since they are all about honour and respect... I cannot see such a thing being possible.
    Warrior being LGBT, I think, would be seen as a fail?
    It's not very manly to kiss another male, for a Klingon.
    All they seem to care for is having the other ones guts for dinner.
    Sex seems more as a weapon or tool (remember the sisters trying to seduce Worfs brother?), or purely for creating offspring, seems, considering how Klinks act towards their own, as well as the opposite gender...?
    Could be wrong though, note.
  • megainexoros#5925 megainexoros Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
This discussion has been closed.