test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Customize Transporter Animations (glowy effects & "character call animation") & Mini-game Idea

morrsynmorrsyn Member Posts: 8 Arc User
search my name for thread about my idea.

But really we should be-able to change the animation. t

There are alot more effects of transporters moving the people from one place to the other and the glowing effects I what I want to customize. Also can we get an option to change the animation when the toon calls for transport.?

Question!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Customize Transporter Animations (glowy effects & "character call animation") & Mini-game Idea 40 votes

We should have customizable transporter animations!
75%
swamarianbltrrntubafiredragonnimbulljim625theanothernamecrm14916relicthiefdixoniumdragonturtletimmymetamerkeepcalmchiveontheraven2378jaiaviamjmphward101#8752warmonger360sisko09sthe91shrimphead2015 30 votes
I don't care.
25%
eazziearabaturdarpendragoncaptiannemo117chastity1337leemwatsonechattyphoenixc#0738duasynparadox#7391 10 votes

Comments

• morrsynmorrsyn Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    As transporters in the game serve a universal function (every player has them to my knowledge there is no faction that is player-accessable that refuses or otherwise has no access to this.)

As is the case I submit to all this idea that the animation should be customizable able to mix and recolor the different effects like visual ship building changes we can do or somthing preset but unique and new like in the shield items.

Also why cant we get a transporter pad in ship? Could be a great addition and any expansion and also the actual console could include a mini-game, and the spot to adjust your ships anmation (as transporter effects are operator-origin based)

Also the "leave" and "arrival" animations should be customizable like emotes and also could tie in to mini-game. options could include "surpised anbd anry beam out" etc etc
    options for beam arrivcal "kneeling"or "saved mid fall" etc etc "injured but alive"

WHY IS THIS NOT A THING?

Mini game: could be as simple as the resourses mini-game and could provide a minor buff or award when done correctly. if leaving ground buff is for ship, if leaving ship, buff is for ground etc...
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    This would have been better placed in General Discussion since this has nothing to do with the Tribble server. @darkbladejk @wingedhussar#7584 Please move to General Discussion. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    Thread moved to appropriate forum.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
  • bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    I'd at least like to see a purchasable MoKai transporter animation. +1 nonetheless
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • darpendragondarpendragon Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    I don't care.
    morrsyn wrote: »
    As transporters in the game serve a universal function (every player has them to my knowledge there is no faction that is player-accessable that refuses or otherwise has no access to this.)

As is the case I submit to all this idea that the animation should be customizable able to mix and recolor the different effects like visual ship building changes we can do or somthing preset but unique and new like in the shield items.

Also why cant we get a transporter pad in ship? Could be a great addition and any expansion and also the actual console could include a mini-game, and the spot to adjust your ships anmation (as transporter effects are operator-origin based)

Also the "leave" and "arrival" animations should be customizable like emotes and also could tie in to mini-game. options could include "surpised anbd anry beam out" etc etc
    options for beam arrivcal "kneeling"or "saved mid fall" etc etc "injured but alive"

WHY IS THIS NOT A THING?

Mini game: could be as simple as the resourses mini-game and could provide a minor buff or award when done correctly. if leaving ground buff is for ship, if leaving ship, buff is for ground etc...

The reason we do not have customizable transporter effects is that Devs have already stated that they are hard coded to be linked to the faction of the character. That is why if you have, for example, a TOS captian, a 2049 FED BOff and a KDF BOff (through diplomacy commendation) they all have different transporter effects.
    "hard coded" is code for "I dont wanna cuz too hard"

oh yeah, so... answer this.... how does q's animation transport work then? not too hard to figure out i t may be hard coded, but easily overriden, be it with a non-faction map. All they have to do is some creative code. :) oh well was just a thought. then what about the emote changes? can we do that, lkets not forget about those jems that could be.

the spock kneel
    the explodig alien (from a parody lol but *wink)
    the turned the wrong way
    the spilled my drink, the list writes itself for word.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    I don't care.
    I'm good either way
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    I don't care.
    Your poll only allows for option to favor this idea or don't care. There needs to be another option for those of us who actively oppose this idea. The last thing this game needs is more flashy/glowy colored lights or overblown special effects.

No, no no no no!
  • cyphexthekingcyphextheking Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    I absolutely support this and want this feature too..

Please give us the Option to costumize the transport effects..

I allready have an idea how to implement this:

- Add a slot within the Character-Equipment-Window (where you have your ground weapons, armor, shields, kit and so far)
    - create slotable objects like "Personal Transporter Targeting Beacon"

This "Beacons" could be purchasable, tradable via exchange or even as event rewards..

All Characters own allready its faction-based Beacon.. Like the Tos-TimeAgent hav their TOS-Beam, Romulan its green Beams..

But via buying/earning/winning/exchanging different Beacons, you easely could change to another Beacon..

Like the Vanity Shield-Slots which overwrites the effect from the equipped Shield..

Really would love to use a green Romulan (or Borg) -Beam Effect instead of the common blue (fed standart) or yellow (tos-time-agent) one..

So yeah.. Definitely on my big wishlist for STO..
    2ntadi4o8mmx.png
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User

It's not even code, the devs have outright stated that everything in the game can be changed, however the work needed seems to be something people in this forum consistently under estimate (in fact with such consistency that I'm starting to think it's intentional).

So it's not so much "it's too hard" but rather "It's not worth the cost".
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »

It's not even code, the devs have outright stated that everything in the game can be changed, however the work needed seems to be something people in this forum consistently under estimate (in fact with such consistency that I'm starting to think it's intentional).

I think that they don't know how to program and also, how to work with legacy code.. so they always underestimate things.. wish it could be that simple..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    gaevsman wrote: »
    spiritborn wrote: »

I think that they don't know how to program and also, how to work with legacy code.. so they always underestimate things.. wish it could be that simple..

Don't we all, if was as simple and easy people here claim it to be, we'd still have the foundry and God knows what Cryptic could come in the mean time.

Alas, it ain't so and we have to live with the real world and not a fantasy world were things are how we want them to be.
    I don't care.
    While it's a good idea in theory however programming is a lot of work, I'm pretty sure that STO doesn't have enough manpower to cover everything, they even neglected the Dominion faction to work on Discovery content, it's possible to do if they had the funds to hire more employees and there's also the fact that the Corona is still ongoing as well. Live Long and Prosper
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    I'd like it...at least for special ships like lock box ships for races who have unique transporter animations in game

Having a Starfleet ship use a Dominion transporter on the other hand would be silly. But I use the Ghemor on a character and I'd like a Cardassian transporter effect for it
    I don't care.
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I'd like it...at least for special ships like lock box ships for races who have unique transporter animations in game

Having a Starfleet ship use a Dominion transporter on the other hand would be silly. But I use the Ghemor on a character and I'd like a Cardassian transporter effect for it

that would be awesome
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I want a pile of tribbles to fall on me and melt away as my transporter effect.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    they even neglected the Dominion faction to work on Discovery content...

How many times must it be pointed out that that statement is false? ViL ended exactly where they had INTENDED it to end. If Cryptic hadn't gotten the green light for Discovery stuff we would have switched gears to fighting Admiral Leeta and the Terran Empire. The Devs have said so themselves! Thanks to the Discovery content, we have a much more interesting fight with Admiral Leeta in the future because of the presence of Captain Tilly. I doubt they're going to let the fact Captain Tilly is running around loose in our universe hang.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    It doesn't matter how many times it get pointed out, people don't WANT to accept it. Everything related to Discovery MUST be some sort of giant mega-conspiracy, thats the only thing they want to believe, and will ignore anything that counters it.

*sigh*
    Unfortunately that is true...
    *facedesk*
    Just sick and tired of it coming up all the time like some kind of boogyman.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    I don't care.
    rattler2 wrote: »

How many times must it be pointed out that that statement is false? ViL ended exactly where they had INTENDED it to end. If Cryptic hadn't gotten the green light for Discovery stuff we would have switched gears to fighting Admiral Leeta and the Terran Empire. The Devs have said so themselves! Thanks to the Discovery content, we have a much more interesting fight with Admiral Leeta in the future because of the presence of Captain Tilly. I doubt they're going to let the fact Captain Tilly is running around loose in our universe hang.

Not that there's any wrong with Discovery content In fact I'm one of the few people who wants more, imagine if Cryptic added those megaman/samus looking phasers from Discovery's season 3 trailer.

Not that there's any wrong with Discovery content In fact I'm one of the few people who wants more, imagine if Cryptic added those megaman/samus looking phasers from Discovery's season 3 trailer.

Considering we have the Undine AP wrist lance in the Lobi store and the Borg arm in the lobi store, and the Altimid weapons... I'm fully expecting to see those weapons at some point in STO.
    edited August 2020

Yeah...like they're just going to admit they dropped ViL for Discovery.

The whole story arc was rushed and ended abruptly, a menace that was threatening 3/4ths of the galaxy was toppled in a hand full of episodes. All they needed was a little ketrocel was a weak ending

Age of Discovery was so rushed it that it was released in fragments...a expansion that wasn't a expansion because it was released like that. It's painfully obvious CBS wanted Discovery in STO...it has been nothing but non-stop Discovery for years...we toppled the Borg, the Iconians, and the Hur'q faster than dealing with some rogue Klingons

Rogue Klingons who seem more technologically advanced than us the players...the race that was all about warriors who shunned scientists developed a technological virus that seems more advanced than perhaps even the Borg...it's about about Discovery

I don't care.

Yeah...like they're just going to admit they dropped ViL for Discovery.

The whole story arc was rushed and ended abruptly, a menace that was threatening 3/4ths of the galaxy was toppled in a hand full of episodes. All they needed was a little ketrocel was a weak ending

Age of Discovery was so rushed it that it was released in fragments...a expansion that wasn't a expansion because it was released like that. It's painfully obvious CBS wanted Discovery in STO...it has been nothing but non-stop Discovery for years...we toppled the Borg, the Iconians, and the Hur'q faster than dealing with some rogue Klingons

Rogue Klingons who seem more technologically advanced than us the players...the race that was all about warriors who shunned scientists developed a technological virus that seems more advanced than perhaps even the Borg...it's about about Discovery

The Klingons didn't shun scientists and lawyers in ENT, seems like the warrior caste took over the empire by the 24th and 25th centuries, it seems weird that we have two Klingon houses dedicated to Klingon intelligence, can J'Ula even call herself a Klingon at this point, she acts more like Romulan than anything else.
  • mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    No

Since you neglected to add that option.

It's been said multiple times that those are hard coded. That doesn't mean it impossible, but it would take a butt load of work & run the risk of introducing serious, game breaking bugs. I'd rather they spend their time on fixing bugs and adding new content.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    I don't care.
    In my case I put "don't care" because while I really would like it, I understand why it is not an option and I do not think it would be worth the effort to yank out all of the transporter code and make it all from scratch as they would likely have to do.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    I don't care.

Technically the transporter effect should be whatever your active ship uses, including using the Dominion transporter effect for Federation (or other) characters who are using a Dominion ship. The problem is that it would complicate stuff quite a bit and probably make map transfers even more iffy than they are now.

Changing it to do that would still take a number of extra database lookups though, to find out what faction your active ship is from (after looking up what that ship even is) which would increase the complexity and delay in map changes that use transporters (which is most of them) instead of a simple table keyed from a stat your character always has available (character faction).

Personally, I too would really like it if they could add in some of the other TOS transporter effects, like the almost silent Klingon/Romulan one (the "fire" type), the TOS mirror universe one (pulsing red and blue patches with a general shift from red at the start to blue at the end), along with other transporter effects they do not have in the game (like the Cardassian one). But again, that would mean more database clutter and activity which is not good for performance, and the lag problem is bad enough already.

Technically the transporter effect should be whatever your active ship uses, including using the Dominion transporter effect for Federation (or other) characters who are using a Dominion ship. The problem is that it would complicate stuff quite a bit and probably make map transfers even more iffy than they are now.

Changing it to do that would still take a number of extra database lookups though, to find out what faction your active ship is from (after looking up what that ship even is) which would increase the complexity and delay in map changes that use transporters (which is most of them) instead of a simple table keyed from a stat your character always has available (character faction).

Personally, I too would really like it if they could add in some of the other TOS transporter effects, like the almost silent Klingon/Romulan one (the "fire" type), the TOS mirror universe one (pulsing red and blue patches with a general shift from red at the start to blue at the end), along with other transporter effects they do not have in the game (like the Cardassian one). But again, that would mean more database clutter and activity which is not good for performance, and the lag problem is bad enough already.

Well that's what I mean....go by your active ship. What I said would be a little silly is if you were in say a Galaxy class and you were a Romulan and use a Dominion transporter effect

I think transporter effects should go by the current ship you're using, only problem is there are a few ships/races that don't have unique transporter effects but I guess they can just use faction default.

Would give gamble box ships a little more value since they aren't going to make exclusive bridges anymore.

Well that's what I mean....go by your active ship. What I said would be a little silly is if you were in say a Galaxy class and you were a Romulan and use a Dominion transporter effect

I think transporter effects should go by the current ship you're using, only problem is there are a few ships/races that don't have unique transporter effects but I guess they can just use faction default.

Would give gamble box ships a little more value since they aren't going to make exclusive bridges anymore.

You'd still have to have a database that tells you what transporter effect goes with what ship and we're talking about thousands of ships here. Not mention this would be database table that would have to be added as NPCs would still use the faction based table, at the moment both PCs and NPCs use the same faction based tables.
This discussion has been closed.