test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Transfailsic: the weapons that can't even, ever.

2»

Comments

• casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Photon and Quantum are competent torpedoes.

Transphasic needs a 3 second cooldown from 10 to be worth even slotting. Unless that happens, the transphasic in their current setting are just for some niche pvp builds, where you're hitting a target which is so moist that any torp would break anyway.

Sole solution:
    - Reduce their cooldown from 10 to 3 seconds.
    - Cause THY to fire 4-6-8 transphasics
    - Cause TS to fire 4-5-6 torps to 3,4 or 5 targets.

If the three above aren't modded into the transphasics, it's simply not worth even looking at them. Even after those changes, Photons and Quantums will still hit harder, but at least we'll be tricked by "more torps = better dps" and we'll experiment with them.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Just looked at the base Transphasic damage and its worse then what I remember. A Quantum base raw damage without buffs is around triple. What is the point of a Transphasic shot when you can do around x3 damage with a single Quantum shot? Then if you add buffs and Kinetic Shearing you end up with a Quantum doing more hull damage though shields and the Quantum always killing the target faster then Transphasic. In testing I could not find a single situation where Transphasic had an advantage even with 90 to 100% shield pen.
    Thinking about it some more using quick napkin math a Quantum hit only needs around 33% damage direct to hull to match the base 100% damage of a Transphasic doing 100% shield pen. The thing is you can do that with 2 easy to get traits.
  • grandsagedragon#4335 grandsagedragon Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Actually the blood of the ancient resonant one is quite a strong contender to rival most others at a huge 10k damage at mk15 and epic add the console from the mission it becomes a contender for advanced two's even potentially elite
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Actually the blood of the ancient resonant one is quite a strong contender to rival most others at a huge 10k damage at mk15 and epic add the console from the mission it becomes a contender for advanced two's even potentially elite

Well I agree it has some value for the set bonus and the proc, while also having the standard transphasic shield pen, which all combined make it better than any normal transphasic, however the DPS is not actually different from other transphasics. You may be seeing it buffed by your own setup.
    Transphasic torps do seem rather pointless but I am starting to think there might be a use for Transphasic Mines when running 100% shield pen. Brief testing is looking promising but far from conclusive.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    Personally I think transphasic torps should have 100% shield pen to justify their low damage - or if the pen is kept as is, the damage is increased to roughly the kinetic value of a plasma torp

Another option I think would work is to think outside the box and revise them so they have a cd of tricobalts with similar damage to them (shield pen is normal) - After all, these were centuries ahead of their time and could OHKO borg ships so they really should have a power level befitting their ahem 'endgame' status

Transphasic mines are a personal favourite of mine since the mine mechanic buffs - A favourite of mine is to have transphasic mines and the cluster on the ships rear - use the mine teleport on a target behind you then fire the cluster at the same time. As the cluster is equivalent to a dispersal beta 3 you can get a lot of mines out in a fairly short time
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I wouldn't say they were CENTURIES ahead of their time. Admiral Janeway was very much alive when she brought them back for Voyager to use. At best... a few decades. The common favorite time period for that particular uniform (She wore the ATG uniform) seems to be 2404. So... around 30 years maybe.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited July 2020
    Well the testing is not going well. It works on a small scale but the devs forgot to add alternative Transphasic weapons. No Transphasic Mines in the colony the only weapon missing I can see. Same for the Fleet Star Base no advanced Transphasic Mines but every other weapon has a fleet version. There are just no alternative Transphasic mines the only main mine weapon without alternative :(
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say they were CENTURIES ahead of their time. Admiral Janeway was very much alive when she brought them back for Voyager to use. At best... a few decades. The common favorite time period for that particular uniform (She wore the ATG uniform) seems to be 2404. So... around 30 years maybe.

I meant centuries in terms of technology, going from near invincible borg cubes that require a combined fleet to take down to becoming instant space wreckage via a few torpedos

Still, it was a fair point all the same
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    burstorion wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »

I meant centuries in terms of technology, going from near invincible borg cubes that require a combined fleet to take down to becoming instant space wreckage via a few torpedos

Still, it was a fair point all the same

level of destruction has no bearing on a technology's time period - look at atomic bombs; one of them can obliterate a city in minutes while it took thousands of bombs months to accomplish barely 70% of that in major cities just years before - it still doesn't put atom-splitting centuries ahead of its time​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited July 2020
    reyan01 wrote: »
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Well the testing is not going well. It works on a small scale but the devs forgot to add alternative Transphasic weapons. No Transphasic Mines in the colony the only weapon missing I can see. Same for the Fleet Star Base no advanced Transphasic Mines but every other weapon has a fleet version. There are just no alternative Transphasic mines the only main mine weapon without alternative :(

Well, there is the Breen Transphasic cluster torpedo which launches a series of mines I guess?
    That is an amazing weapon but there are two problems. The cluster has half the shield pen of the rear mine launchers and my build is based around 100% shield pen Transphasic. Still the cluster is more then worth using but I only fit 1 in the front and hit max fire rate via con firepower.

The main problem is the rear slots I can only get away with 2 Transphasic mines and even that is not optimal as it limits the amount of mine waves in space as you should never fit the same mines twice. With Quantum I would 3 different types of Quantum. But that is not possible with Transphasic which only have basic and crafted which are counted as the same group as basic.

Its a shame as I managed to get 1 Transphasic killing as fast as 1 Photon mine even though the Transphasic mine does half the DPS. But it cannot be scale up to 3 or 4 Transphasic mines launchers :(

If I could have scaled it up 100k DPS of Transphasic will have killed faster then 200k DPS of Photon.

Post edited by pottsey5g on
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User

So even the devs have given up on making new transphasics. :D
    duasyn wrote: »

So even the devs have given up on making new transphasics. :D
    Since day 1 if anything. You can get any weapon from the Fleet Star Base apart from Transphasic Mines and its been like that every time we can a new store with a new version of every weapon the one weapon missed is Transphasic Mines.

On the plus side 100% shield pen Transphasic is still working a week later and it is so easy to do only needed 2 traits and 1 deflector for 100% shield pen. I had to settle on 2 Transphasic Mines and 1 BlackOps Mine with Transphasic Clusters and Torp due to the limits but it works surprising well. Going keep using this a bit longer even in advanced / Elite.
This discussion has been closed.