test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Red Shirts in TOS (deaths)

midevilchaos#4670 midevilchaos Member Posts: 379 Arc User
edited July 2020 in Ten Forward
Did anyone in a redshirt ever consider he was going to die? After all the horror stories they read about their friends never returning, didn't any of them ever consider they were next, and were gonna die in a gruesome death?

EDIT: The irony then dawned on me that I was wearing a red t-shirt while writing this.

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,497 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    The redshirt thing is just a myth actually, several people have gone though TOS and counted every death and it turns out that the most dangerous shirt to wear is the gold one, not the red.

And none of them are bad enough for someone in the story to think they were inevitably going to die considering the crew size (I forget the actual percentage, but it was not high).
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    The only one I know to have lived was the Most interesting man in the world.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • midevilchaos#4670 midevilchaos Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    The redshirt thing is just a myth actually, several people have gone though TOS and counted every death and it turns out that the most dangerous shirt to wear is the gold one, not the red.

And none of them are bad enough for someone in the story to think they were inevitably going to die considering the crew size (I forget the actual percentage, but it was not high).

You totally missed the point. :/ I wasn't being serious.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    Scotty.jpg
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    I imagine some of them eventually viewed it as a right of passage and were quite eager for away missions.
    edited July 2020
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    A stormtrooper and a redshirt encounter one another. The stormtrooper fires every blaster bolt he has, hitting nothing. The Red Shirt dies anyway
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    except that isn't how it would go - the stormtrooper would hit on the first shot; they only miss against plot-protected personnel, until the plot armor is removed

see: leia getting blasted in the arm during the endor incursion​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    except that isn't how it would go - the stormtrooper would hit on the first shot; they only miss against plot-protected personnel, until the plot armor is removed

see: leia getting blasted in the arm during the endor incursion​​

Leia was probably getting tired or overthinking, earlier she got hit in the chest or shoulder (I forget which), got knocked back a bit seemingly without noticing (and no injury) and kept firing. Apparently, when she was concentrating on something else (such as combat) she could subconsciously do some small measure of Tutaminis, similar to her father's blaster bolt catching trick.
  • midevilchaos#4670 midevilchaos Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    hawku001x wrote: »
    I imagine some of them eventually viewed it as a right of passage and were quite eager for away missions.

Says a Jem'Hadar ahahah!