test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Incentive PVP

Hi, first of all, I know the state of pvp in this game, I know that it is unbalanced and that people do not want to participate in pvp and die instantly, I think the problem is that a small percentage of the population has very expensive builds Specialized in pvp, that could be solved if everyone who made less expensive builds or even PVE builds participated in PVP events, since if everyone participated at the same time the game would match people with cheaper builds with other people in them conditions, maybe sometime I may play on your team with someone from that percentage of people specialized in pvp, but not always, and the question would be how can you make people participate suddenly in PVP events (arena, capture and hold and tfo)? I think the answer to that question would be daily and weekly missions, (I know there are right now but the reward is directly useless, since the dilithium there are 200 ways to get it out easier and faster)
I propose:
daily missions that recommend with EC
Example: participate in 5 pvp events (5M EC)
Example: win 5 pvp events (10M EC)
weekly missions with the same rewards
Example: participate in 50 pvp events (25M EC)

(the rewards can change, its only a example)

I think making profitable the pvp people would be encouraged to participate, and if many people are encouraged the problem of imbalance would disappear since the number of people would make people with expensive and specialized builds would be a minority

What is your opinion?

thanks for read and sorry for my bad english

:)

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    I think that most of us just don't want to make the effort to play PVP period.

STO is a very casual game where Space Barbie is the real endgame for many (most?) of us. Many people don't come here for deep tactical gameplay, they come here to fly the ships from their favorite shows and be Captain Awesome while they pew pew pew the incompetent bad guys.

People complain about learning any TFO mechanics beyond spacebar. Those people don't want to learn how to counter debuffs and inflict debuffs on an intelligent human player. That would require effort, and STO isn't a Dark Souls game.

• garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    I do not think that offering EC as an incentive to play PVP will work because I think what you are proposing will only incentivise those people that want to play nothing but PVP, and even more so those that have mega builds.

As for your idea of grouping players with "similar builds" together in matches. It is just not feasible. How could the system judge the power of a person's build? Do you have a proposed metric? Without this ability to group players based on their builds power, we will always end up with unbalanced massacre that is PVP as we have it now.

Frankly, I don't see any way to redeme pvp.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    No. I don't come here to fight other players. There would have to be much better incentives to even get me to try to make a PvP build, much less participate. ECs are too easy to get in this game, like dilithium.

I come here to have my own fun, which may be different from yours, and that's fine. I also do some Space Barbie, but not nearly what others do.

I doubt very much that anything like that would be implemented in the game for reasons stated above me.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    garaffe wrote: »
    As for your idea of grouping players with "similar builds" together in matches. It is just not feasible. How could the system judge the power of a person's build? Do you have a proposed metric? Without this ability to group players based on their builds power, we will always end up with unbalanced massacre that is PVP as we have it now.

I have to agree with this point here. We have no way to judge how good a build is. And implimenting any kind of "gear score" system will open the door to discrimination. On top of that, there are variables such as spec trees, traits, and even the Endeavor system.

And with new stuff coming out all the time... its hard to judge a player's build. How does a Megawell build compare to a BFAW build? How does this compare with that? What equals what?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    I am also not convinced that the part of the PVP community which remains is interested in using less expensive builds or even a challenge in PVP. They just want to shoot and scoot.

If the PVP community had been the least bit interested in that, they would have jumped at some of the proposals i made last week and the times before (PVP with lower tier ships (e.g. Kobayashi maru) premade builds, with disabled traits/captain powers). The silence following those proposals on the forum told the whole story.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The reward examples are too easy to exploit. Have a buddy play you in PVP, you kill them 10 times then they kill you 10 times and you get 25M each.

What's with the PvP threads lately? The PvP in this game is dead.. not sure how much more clear that can be. The only ones that care about PvP less then the developers are the players.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    I am also not convinced that the part of the PVP community which remains is interested in using less expensive builds or even a challenge in PVP. They just want to shoot and scoot.

If the PVP community had been the least bit interested in that, they would have jumped at some of the proposals i made last week and the times before (PVP with lower tier ships (e.g. Kobayashi maru) premade builds, with disabled traits/captain powers). The silence following those proposals on the forum told the whole story.

There is no more PvP community. If there was, the PvP subforum wouldn't be completely dead. When there was still a community, back in 2014, Vanilla PvP - basic ships, basic gear - gained some traction. These days there's no one left to be interested in it. For what it's worth, I like your idea and I would resurrect VPvP if there was someone around to play it with.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    rattler2 wrote: »
    garaffe wrote: »

I have to agree with this point here. We have no way to judge how good a build is. And implimenting any kind of "gear score" system will open the door to discrimination. On top of that, there are variables such as spec trees, traits, and even the Endeavor system.

And with new stuff coming out all the time... its hard to judge a player's build. How does a Megawell build compare to a BFAW build? How does this compare with that? What equals what?

Gear Score is probably the worst way to balance anything where player skill is a factor. It can only tell how good your gear is not how good you're at using said gear.

If you want to balance PvP I'd say a good way would to have PvP exclusive gear set that is disabled in PvE (and with PvE gear obviously being disabled in PvP) and player score based on how good you've done in matches, is it a perfect system, hell no, but it does remove the need to balance PvE gear for PvP and the other way around.
    spiritborn wrote: »
    If you want to balance PvP I'd say a good way would to have PvP exclusive gear set that is disabled in PvE (and with PvE gear obviously being disabled in PvP) and player score based on how good you've done in matches, is it a perfect system, hell no, but it does remove the need to balance PvE gear for PvP and the other way around.

Throw in a PvP gear exclusive loadout slot too. It still leaves the mess of specialization perks, reputation abilities, endeavours, and starship traits, but it's a start and it would be way better than the mess right now.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    my opinion? I would not PVP even if they gave away a Temporal Connie.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    nixie50 wrote: »

Hmm, would I play a 56-day grind of 2 PVP per day for a Connie?

.... nope, I'd rather pay the ~$180 cash monies than put up with something that for me is anti-fun.
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    On the topic of gear score or the like, I've seen that backfire horribly when people intentionally build for a lower score just so they can go "seal clubbing" as its called.
  • cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    Just have folks fight with stock ships no bridge officer skills, traits, captain skills, specializations, consoles, ect. White tier 12 gear and have at each other.

Cirran
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »

Hmm, would I play a 56-day grind of 2 PVP per day for a Connie?

.... nope, I'd rather pay the ~$180 cash monies than put up with something that for me is anti-fun.

I'd rather PvP for the Connie myself. $180 usd saved, would probably get better, and would definitely be more exciting than the timer - laden - snooze - fest FTFO 'Best Served Cold'. An account wide unlock of Invincible might be more appropriate though :wink:
    voporak wrote: »

Throw in a PvP gear exclusive loadout slot too. It still leaves the mess of specialization perks, reputation abilities, endeavours, and starship traits, but it's a start and it would be way better than the mess right now.

When I said "gear" I mentally included things like traits, perks what not into it not just items, PvP exclusive gear would give you a sense of progression while not getting hamstrung by PvE balance (also doing it now would level the playing field to avoid the issue of people with mega builds targeting newbies to keep it PvP "exclusive" (and thus effectively killing it)).
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    cirran1 wrote: »
    Just have folks fight with stock ships no bridge officer skills, traits, captain skills, specializations, consoles, ect. White tier 12 gear and have at each other.

Cirran

That has got to be one of the worst ideas ever. Have to use stock PvP items and abilities...sure. Having to use abominations that they make...yeah...no thanks.

The idea itself is not bad, the way Cryptic would execute it would definitely be bad.

STO is way too old to implement a comprehensive PVP scenario anyway. The PVP crowd has long left.
    Go pro or go home
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    When I said "gear" I mentally included things like traits, perks what not into it not just items, PvP exclusive gear would give you a sense of progression while not getting hamstrung by PvE balance (also doing it now would level the playing field to avoid the issue of people with mega builds targeting newbies to keep it PvP "exclusive" (and thus effectively killing it)).
    Gear Score also fails because it's looking at certain parts of the equation and not the whole. In the end player skill makes a massive difference.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Gear Score also fails because it's looking at certain parts of the equation and not the whole. In the end player skill makes a massive difference.
    There's a great example in Fallout 76. They have a Fortnite-style PvP mode, Nuclear Winter, in which all toons are dropped in with only the perks they've set (and they can still only have one perk per SPECIAL stat), and have to pick up gear in the field, all of which is randomly generated anyway and doesn't always appear in the same place (like the blue box that may or may not spawn in the tent at Monongah Lookout). The difference is indeed entirely player-based; even being high-level doesn't keep you safe from some starting player with good skills and a lucky sniping perch (and even that perch must be abandoned eventually, as the safe circle shrinks).

Full disclosure: I usually manage to survive up until the first time I encounter another player face-to-face. (I did manage to get three kills in on a match the other day, but only because I was lucky enough to find an M79 grenade launcher early on - accuracy is less important with those, because VATS, the Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System, only works on creatures in that mode, not other people.)

Unless each character is stripped of their own gear at the beginning of a match, there's really no good way to even things up between players in STO PvP. And I really don't see the PvP folks being pleased with this idea.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Yeah I said that already to quote myself "Gear Score is probably the worst way to balance anything where player skill is a factor. It can only tell how good your gear is not how good you're at using said gear."
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User

Yeah, the only way that I can see to balance PVP would be to have a completely separate build system for PVP only builds (completely disjoint from PVE): either completely separate gear, traits, and ships, or locking it to only a small subset of currently available gear, traits, and ships. If not completely separate ships or most ships being locked out, they would certainly need to lock out certain ships mechanics (like built in mechanics like spinal lances). No matter what though, it would be too much a pill for most people to swallow.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    The only way you will ever see any kind of balance with pvp in this game is if you completely separate pvp and pve from each other. It's the same reason World of Warcraft pvp balance has had issues over the years. They use the same exact code twice and expect different results. You cannot do the same thing twice and expect different results. The simplest solution they could implement for WoW would be to stick a line of code in there that says "if target is player do X, if target is NPC do Y." Or pre-built ships and similar. From a technical aspect that's the only ways you could in theory eliminate most of the gearing issues. However if a person has done the work to get a full on golded out optimized pvp build I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed an advantage vs someone who hasn't done the work. Shouldn't be the only deciding fact but that's nigh impossible to balance. Overall there is no way to balance for skill in games like this, all you can do is try to make gear not a huge factor. I've gone into pvp with nothing but mk xii very rare items on a build and smoked some folks that have better gear. I've also gone into pvp with full gold builds and gotten my aft shuttle bay kicked. I don't mind the concept of pvp and if that's what folks like to play then more power to them, just leave me out of it unless I decide to queue for it myself. far as I'm concerned forced pvp is a cancer that needs to be eradicated from online gaming today.

I can tell you right now, most folks I have seen in this game have no desire for pvp at all. The day they try to push pvp on the general populace of the game is the day I will quit this game for good. If I want pvp I will go play something like CoD or another random game.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    jonsills wrote: »
    Unless each character is stripped of their own gear at the beginning of a match, there's really no good way to even things up between players in STO PvP. And I really don't see the PvP folks being pleased with this idea.

The PvP players of old would be pleased with that. It's why Vanilla PvP briefly pumped some life into the community (although it was more like transfusing blood into someone who's losing a liter a minute, it was going to die). As I've said, those people departed this game long ago. You are right in one aspect: the people who PvP these days would hate it, because they're not in it for fun, they're in it for the rush of stomping somebody and gloating. Nowadays the only ones who PvP "seriously," in a world where ultra-shiny console clicky madness, immunity, and instakills hand victory to those who can spam buttons the fastest, are the soap scum of the game who think they have accomplished something by vaporizing a ship with less shields and hull than a Vor'cha NPC.

STO is an amusement park. It doesn't need anarchy in the streets, PvP everywhere. It needs a bumper car ride, a self-contained and separate arena that you can choose to partake in or ignore completely.
    I don't mind the concept of pvp and if that's what folks like to play then more power to them, just leave me out of it unless I decide to queue for it myself. far as I'm concerned forced pvp is a cancer that needs to be eradicated from online gaming today.

I can tell you right now, most folks I have seen in this game have no desire for pvp at all. The day they try to push pvp on the general populace of the game is the day I will quit this game for good. If I want pvp I will go play something like CoD or another random game.

I don't understanding the context of the concern of "forced" PvP as it relates to STO.

Everything in STO is optional, as it should be, so players can do things they like to do.

One reason I'm scratching my head is that I can't see this happening in STO ever (or at least not in the next 1000 years).

I just can't see a game that's done its best to replicate the Star Trek experience for over a decade and doesn't even necessarily encourage consensual PvP ever forcing it on players against their will.

Perhaps as a more a generalized online gaming industry commentary it makes sense but the whole issue of forced PvP seems rather 'not applicable' with respect to STO to me at least.
    protoneous wrote: »
    I don't mind the concept of pvp and if that's what folks like to play then more power to them, just leave me out of it unless I decide to queue for it myself. far as I'm concerned forced pvp is a cancer that needs to be eradicated from online gaming today.

I don't understanding the context of the concern of "forced" PvP as it relates to STO.

Everything in STO is optional, as it should be, so players can do things they like to do.

One reason I'm scratching my head is that I can't see this happening in STO ever (or at least not in the next 1000 years).

I just can't see a game that's done its best to replicate the Star Trek experience for over a decade and doesn't even necessarily encourage consensual PvP ever forcing it on players against their will.

Perhaps as a more a generalized online gaming industry commentary it makes sense but the whole issue of forced PvP seems rather 'not applicable' with respect to STO to me at least.

I think he means something like WoW world PvP between TBC and late Cata or so (IIRC), where you could be forced into PvP activities outside your will attacking a PvP tagged player by accident would tag your for PvP and there was max level players who would hover about quest mobs lower level players would need for PvE quests so that at some point the lower level player would hit them get tagged and slaughtered in short order. It was later fixed so that attacking a player with a PvP tag would just say "invalid target" when you didn't have your PvP tag on and you'd have to intentionally activate the tag to hit them.

Also it's possible he means that if the rewards from the PvP system were good enough he would feel like it was mandatory content.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator

I was making a generalized statement since the OP mentioned getting others to participate in it. Long as I'm not forced to see it or participate in it, or can ignore it completely unless I decide to participate in it, then I'm cool with it. I never said he specifically wanted to force it on folks.

Aside from that it's the same song and dance I've seen a thousand times. Folks that like pvp come on and claim that folks like myself who have no interest in pvp only hate it because we don't have specialized pvp builds and die super fast. They say if we would just play pvp a little bit with them we would grow to like it. If we would play it with them and participate in the new super awesome events they've come up with, the issues that have plagued pvp for so long in this game will magically disappear and everything will be all peachy. Nothing against the OP but his is just the latest form of such a thread. When I see threads like this that pop up, they always strike me as that one person that is determined to get the person in their group to drink alcohol, go see that certain movie, or to that certain party, that's said no repeatedly. They're welcome to think whatever they want about the person who's said no and are entitled to their opinions. However most of the arguments I see are some variation of 3 things.

1: You just don't like it because you haven't played it enough
    2: You just don't like it because you get beaten easily
    3: If you would just play this super cool new event I made up you'll like it this time, even though all those other issues are still there.

Every thread like it typically has some form of all 3 of those arguments that never address the issues plaguing pvp balance. It's always some type of argument that boils down to a type of "no true Scotsman" fallacy. "No one true STO player hates pvp, they just don't like losing." There's always some arbitrary reason they think they need to cure the playerbase from and if we would just do it their way we'll suddenly be like them and enjoy it. They can't accept the fact that there are some people out there who simply do not like pvp and don't want to do pvp with them. I know for me personally I've had enough of the pvp scene to last me a lifetime. I find more often than not it brings out the worst in people.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator

I think he means something like WoW world PvP between TBC and late Cata or so (IIRC), where you could be forced into PvP activities outside your will attacking a PvP tagged player by accident would tag your for PvP and there was max level players who would hover about quest mobs lower level players would need for PvE quests so that at some point the lower level player would hit them get tagged and slaughtered in short order. It was later fixed so that attacking a player with a PvP tag would just say "invalid target" when you didn't have your PvP tag on and you'd have to intentionally activate the tag to hit them.

Also it's possible he means that if the rewards from the PvP system were good enough he would feel like it was mandatory content.

I only play Star Trek Online so my own lack of experience in playing other games could be related to not realizing how just how negative an experience non-consensual PvP could be, and people's very strong convictions related to it.
This discussion has been closed.