test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Warning: event dilithium payouts are apparently not working (for at least some people)

2»

Comments

• Options
    nuqinuqi Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Still not fixed - 23rd July. After the 'this is fixed' patch notes but before patch itself.
    0EaMZUq.jpg
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    The funny thing is that when they made the change to the Bonus Dilitium Rewards to start from 8k and increment by 1k per day, they stated that the great thing that instead of capping at 25k daily this could go on forever. They even showed Rewards up to 42k. So the part that made this change the greatest thing since sliced bread, didn't work. Go figure.

Didn't get it again tonight.
    they seem to be ending events much sooner these days, I couldn't get further than 15k max dil before the last event ended and they say you can get up to 50k dil daily on the event listing.

• Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Events tended to run for a week longer than it'd take to get the main reward so the bonus dil was never really going to go as far as 50k unless you did a buyout on day one.

They do seem to have been doing a lot of unnecessary poking of the rewards lately, PS4 event before the maru had the dil rewards lock out at 8k a day. Stupid really as breaking the rewards means little to reason to log in to play the event so the bums on seats numbers fall off.

I know, for myself I'm not going to bother logging in either account because this particular event feels like it's dragged on way too long and a quick look at the support thread mentions they disabled the dil rewards.
  • Options
    I was able to get 25k from winter event and events before that, 15k from the last event.
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    (redacted material quote removed/posting cheats/exploits) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    theantisainttheantisaint Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    Completed an event mish(2pt) for dilithium...no dil reward. Yay.
  • Options
    casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Great way of punishing the end user.
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    (redacted material quote removed) - darkbladejk

Oh wow, if that is true, I could definitely see why Cryptic would want to cease that rinse & repeat ability on the event bonus dilithium. I still disagree with Cryptic's decision to rob players dilithium though that completed the event requirements as intended, but again if the scenario you mentioned that is indeed a tough call. I agree though, if voporak's story is true, that had to be stopped since the STO economy is too inflated as it is for many currencies & especially dilithium. I still think as a compromise Cryptic should just extend this by whatever day or two or + this happened.
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
  • Options
    tagentagen Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    So is it working properly now after the servers came back up, or is it still broken?
  • Options
    tagen wrote: »
    So is it working properly now after the servers came back up, or is it still broken?

Working, I just got my bonus.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    If that's the reason then why keep folk in the dark after the plug had been pulled on the rewards as a way of explaining why rewards weren't being given out.

Emphasises the need of their office mantra to be "if it ain't broke don't poke til it does". The reward system only needs the earnable item changed each time, the marks and dil remain the same so unless they were trying to mess about with the dilex behind the scenes there is no reason to alter it.
  • Options
    If that's the reason then why keep folk in the dark after the plug had been pulled on the rewards as a way of explaining why rewards weren't being given out.

Emphasises the need of their office mantra to be "if it ain't broke don't poke til it does". The reward system only needs the earnable item changed each time, the marks and dil remain the same so unless they were trying to mess about with the dilex behind the scenes there is no reason to alter it.

I try to avoid saying the devs "only" or "just" need to do anything because I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes and how broken or enigmatic the code might be. Throughout STO's history, overwhelming theme seems to be "If it ain't broke, it will degrade over time until it does break" and I think that drives the decisions to alter the system. And as for keeping players in the dark, well communication has never been Cryptic's strong point.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    It is completely understandable that they would "turn off" the rewards if there was a huge exploit. BUT,

1) they should have immediately told people they were turned off, so people doing it for dilithium weren't wasting their time.

2) because they did NOT do #1, they should at least apologize for the people not getting the rewards they were supposed to.

I don't mind a mistake, but at least apologize for making it. Don't completely ignore it and act like you don't care.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    It is completely understandable that they would "turn off" the rewards if there was a huge exploit. BUT,

1) they should have immediately told people they were turned off, so people doing it for dilithium weren't wasting their time.

2) because they did NOT do #1, they should at least apologize for the people not getting the rewards they were supposed to.

I don't mind a mistake, but at least apologize for making it. Don't completely ignore it and act like you don't care.

I've seen several people here and on reddit suggest extending the event by a couple days and that seems like the most reasonable thing to do. For the people that didn't get in on the bonus bonus dilithium it's a pretty big hit (~25k effectively lost, more if you bought it out earlier).
  • Options
    voporak wrote: »

I've seen several people here and on reddit suggest extending the event by a couple days and that seems like the most reasonable thing to do. For the people that didn't get in on the bonus bonus dilithium it's a pretty big hit (~25k effectively lost, more if you bought it out earlier).

If they extend the event, that's cool. But that's not actually the point I'm talking about in my post. My point is if you know you have turned something off, tell people. Don't act like they or their time doesn't matter.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options

I agree with this sentiment. Cryptic has never seemed to be adept at communication. We live in an era where those in charge place focus upon lying, denying, then deflecting instead of embracing good/bad information. I have my doubts about some of the bigwigs at Cryptic even caring, so it may not be an "act", about the players so I don't think an apology will be issued to any negatively affected.

I think some sort of in-game announcement after Cryptic ceased the dilithium rewarding similar to when the server is coming down or at the beginning of logging-in would've provided good warning for players not to waste their time, unless they wanted to perform & do it anyways. As I've previously stated, I do think a minor extension would be a sufficient compromise otherwise Cryptic is pretty much taking those players' money/zen that bought-out the event & running away with it.
  • Options
    If they extend the event, that's cool. But that's not actually the point I'm talking about in my post. My point is if you know you have turned something off, tell people. Don't act like they or their time doesn't matter.

Yeah, it's pretty bad to not even acknowledge it with a throwaway tweet. Or an announcement on the official forums, which they always seem strangely opposed to doing.
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    edited July 2020
    What I'm going to say won't be popular with folks, but it is what it is.

First up, if there was an exploit they do not typically acknowledge this publicly save in very very rare cases. I know I've sent a few up the chain in the past that were fixed soon after that did not appear in notes. For obvious reasons I can't say what those were due to NDA but it can happen. What happened sucks, but they do not owe it to anyone to grant more time on the event. If they choose to do it then that's cool, but it is not owed to anyone. They always say that the events, rewards, and similar are subject to change. Now we can debate whether they should change something or not, but it doesn't remove their ability to change it. Folks choosing to buy out the event do/did so of their own free will. No one was made to buy it, they chose to buy it. You can put in a request for refund if you will, but I doubt they will give it to you. I've not seen them do it yet.

Also if it's still not working, I will let them know
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    So, here are the updates:

Kael posted an apology on reddit saying they SHOULD have told people they turned the rewards off. So there's no need to argue that point.

Also, the rewards have been turned back on with today's patch and they have also implemented a dilithium bonus weekend to makeup for the lost rewards.

So it's good that they acknowledged people SHOULD have been told, and it's good that they have taken some action to make up for what was lost :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Too bad I didn't get my dil back from yesterday not giving any.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Edit: Removed
  • Options
    casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Fix confirmed.
  • Options
    An in-game warning/notification would've been ideal once Cryptic shut-off the dilithium rewarding as I, & others, have stated previously. Perhaps in the future Cryptic will actually do that if/when it is ever warranted again, & I do think Kael/Cryptic deserve some credit for the acknowledgement.

Cryptic not retroactively compensating dilithium that should've been earned was their decision & they unsurprisingly decided not to. I'm sure that would've been more extra hassle with no pay-off from Cryptic's perspective.

I disagree with that darkbladejk's sentiment about the buying-out somewhat & find his point of view callous towards normal players. Then again he is a moderator with an inside STO track to whatever extent(s). When the buying-out option was introduced it was partially incentivized by Cryptic as a method to earn even more dilithium. I might think doing so is a fool's errand but any that did do that using money/zen in this particular case did so with an "implied" belief by Cryptic they'd earn more dilithium for buying-out, beginning the dilithium treadmill earlier, & were short-changed in this instance.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I'm glad Kael made the comment he did for a couple of reasons:

1) it proves anyone wrong who said they shouldn't have said anything because this was related to an exploit. Kael said people absolutely should have been told that the rewards had been turned off.

2) it proves anyone wrong who said they had nothing to apologize for. Kael said they did (specifically, that they didn't do #1).

So regardless of the fact that this wasn't handled right, and regardless of whether the the dilithium weekend actually makes up for the wasted time, at least no one can argue either of those 2 points above.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    I got the dilith today but I still did not get the bonus points to completion of the meta reward (1k Lobi) however.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    gileslestradegileslestrade Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    I'm getting the event bonus, but I'm not getting anything from the dilithium weekend, so I'm still out 2 or 3 days of ore.
  • Options
    tagentagen Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    aspartan1 wrote: »
    I got the dilith today but I still did not get the bonus points to completion of the meta reward (1k Lobi) however.

Meta reward? If you mean the event campaign, this event is not part of that. On PC anyway.
  • Options
    grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    This is why I just stay away from these events. Plenty of other ways to make dil.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
This discussion has been closed.