test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Transfailsic: the weapons that can't even, ever.

corinthalascorinthalas Member Posts: 2,331 Arc User
What role are they supposed to fill? They're still useless against shields, despite their 'shield penetration' effect. They're far worse against hull. They're terrible at everything. A standard photon torp will do more damage to a ship's hull *through* shields, and then 1.5x damage to unshielded hull. There is literally no situation where transphasic weapons have any advantages or added value over all other torpedo options. Even energy torpedoes have more use.

And there are multiple sets that are ruined by being hogtied to these awful weapons. What the heck was the thought process behind a weapon that excels at nothing and fails at everything??
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Well if you follow the lore on this one, transphasic weapons excel at being on the Federation's banned weapons list. Only one was ever used by Starfleet, and it was extremely low yield. This is because at higher yields a transphasic torpedo has the potential to tear a rift into subspace. This in turn gives it the potential to create instability in that part of space, throughout the galaxy, or to destroy the galaxy.

However, for the game, no clue. I've been playing since 2012 and can't recall a time when anyone said transphasic was a good torpedo. All I've ever heard is mediocre at best.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    In theory they have more bleedthrough, making them a goid choice for heavily shielded targets. In peactice though the effect is pretty much null. Against a HP sponge it doesn't matter whether your slow firing weapon of opportunity does 20% more bleedthrough damage, especially since your energy (=shield counter weapons!) have enough dps to not only melt the shield but also the hull underneath quickly
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    The rapid reload transphasic is not bad, but it is that great either. Or was anyway, I have not used one in quite a while and they may have changed it since then.

In theory they are better against ships with hardened shields since even a lot of hardening barely reduces the bleedthrough they do. The thing is, I don't think a lot of mobs have hardened shields, just a lot of hit points so the bleedthrough doesn't mean much, especially when it is faster to just knock the shield down with energy fire and drains and use any other torpedo type for more damage (if the player ship even has torpedoes). It was probably meant for attacking enemy science ships or something like that.

If they actually did a universal shield softening for a second or two instead of just for the torpedo it would be a lot more useful.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    Well if you follow the lore on this one, transphasic weapons excel at being on the Federation's banned weapons list. Only one was ever used by Starfleet, and it was extremely low yield. This is because at higher yields a transphasic torpedo has the potential to tear a rift into subspace. This in turn gives it the potential to create instability in that part of space, throughout the galaxy, or to destroy the galaxy.

However, for the game, no clue. I've been playing since 2012 and can't recall a time when anyone said transphasic was a good torpedo. All I've ever heard is mediocre at best.

those were TRICOBALTS...transphasics were admiral janeway's borg cube vaporizers​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I'd like to lump in Chroniton torpedos in this as well. They have the same trashy cooldown and below average damage, but they don't even have any slight damage enhancing bonuses like Transphasic, just some weak slow that gets removed after two seconds.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    They used to be respectible medium-small ship killers with the breen 2-set. However, they're more or less been powercrept out of usefulness. You can still kill stuff with them if you build for it, but building for photon or quantum will go far, far further for the same amount of effort/investment. Chronitons are in a similar boat, but have always been the worst performers.

Personally, I'd probably change them so Transphasics reduce shield hardness/increase bleedthrough by 20% and Chronitons remove 1 buff per torp.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Personally, I'd probably change them so Transphasics reduce shield hardness/increase bleedthrough by 20% ...

I think the Lukari rep torp already does that, and its a photon.
    I'd like to lump in Chroniton torpedos in this as well. They have the same trashy cooldown and below average damage, but they don't even have any slight damage enhancing bonuses like Transphasic, just some weak slow that gets removed after two seconds.

Doesn't Chroniton do Antiproton damage though?

those were TRICOBALTS...transphasics were admiral janeway's borg cube vaporizers​​

Right! To much lore, not enough sleep. My bad.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator

Nope. Chroniton Torps are still Kinetic. You're probably thinking of the Chroniton energy weapons from the Temporal Rep.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »

Nope. Chroniton Torps are still Kinetic. You're probably thinking of the Chroniton energy weapons from the Temporal Rep.

Possibly. But unless it's an energy type, like polaron. Then you have to look toward the consoles and sets that offer increased torpedo damage or projectile damage. So their damage can be boosted, just not as much as energy torpedoes, since they benefit from both energy increase and torpedo/projectile increase.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    long long ago they were popularish for torpedo boat with The Breen Transphasic Cluster Torpedo and rapid fire from the missions. but eh it's just too slow really.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

long long ago they were popularish for torpedo boat with The Breen Transphasic Cluster Torpedo and rapid fire from the missions. but eh it's just too slow really.

I notice this with most torpedoes, they're just slow. I fire them, and watch them, and it's like, "What are they using for propulsion in these things? A hamster wheel?"
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    edited July 2020

I notice this with most torpedoes, they're just slow. I fire them, and watch them, and it's like, "What are they using for propulsion in these things? A hamster wheel?"

You can blame the movies for that, they were supposed to be the analog to guided missiles or submarine torpedoes which would have been ok had the movie producers not also wanted the ships shown large in the same frame which meant they had to slow them down even more to give them the feel of guided munitions with such a short distance to cover.

In TOS they were fast, moving just like proximity phaser bolts (which they shared SFX with).
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    Yup, transphasics have such low damage that the 40% doesn't really amount to much.
    They're not better against shields. They're not better against hull. They're not 'good' at anything.

So... like Goldeneye's Klobb then.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    How transphasic torpedo's performed in Voyager.

https://youtu.be/RaC2nSMH1H4?t=69
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • chuckdotsonchuckdotson Member Posts: 14 Arc User

If they worked like that then they should let us have cube's and sphere's.

If they worked like that then they should let us have cube's and sphere's.

That never worked in tests, the way the game engine works it is too easy for the camera to get rotated around the ship and then you cannot tell which direction you are facing for a critical second or so. It just was not practical for combat, and combat is the main purpose of the ships.

• smi3thsmi3th Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    When a regular torpedo hits a shield, how much is damage reduced?
    smi3th wrote: »
    When a regular torpedo hits a shield, how much is damage reduced?

90% reduction iirc. If it was just transphasics against other basic torpedoes it would not be so bad, but sci, set, and other specialty torpedoes blow away the basic ones including the transphasic. Even the few special transphasics are not great for later stuff though they hold their own pretty well in earlier content where there is not a lot of better choices.

If they could pierce perfect shields and Borg adaptation (though the latter does not mean much anymore) they would have a good niche roll but apparently they don't.
  • smi3thsmi3th Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    When I first tried this game out many years ago, they didn't have the autofire feature. You had to mash the space bar or whatever it was you used as a fire button. Back then you would wait until you heard the voice of your computer telling you your enemy's shields were down, and then you hit fire for your torpedo.

If you are planning on just letting your torpedoes autofire then I wonder if Transphasics are better for that.

===== Math based on basic torpedoes =====

Let's see what we can figure out. I just bought a pair of common MK XII torpedoes from the exchange; one photon and one transphasic. The stats I see are (note that this is from a ground map, and I have no consoles of either type slotted):

Photon: 2979.9 Damage, 6 Sec recharge

Transphasic: 2155.2 Damage, 10 sec recharge. Ouch... I can see why people liked the rapid fire torpedo.

Okay... so the transphasic does 72.32457465% of the damage that a photon does. We'll just call it 72%.

Now if 90% of the damage a photon does is soaked by shields, the total damage a photon does against shields is 10%.

If 40% of the transphasic torpedo bypasses the shields, then that's 0.2892982986 or 29% of the damage of a photon torpedo. Plus the remaining 0.4339474479 or 43% damage is reduced by 90% like other torpedoes, to become 4.3%. So the net result is that against shields a transphasic torpedo deals 33.3% of the damage of a photon torpedo, while a photon deals 10% against shields.

That wouldn't sound too bad except that the transphasic fires every 10 seconds as opposed to 6. If you multiply the transphasic damage by 6/10ths then you get 19.98 or 20%. Likewise 72% x 0.6 = 43%.

So assuming that you are firing a torpedo at the maximum rate of fire, the transphasic deals about 2x the damage against shielded enemies, and about x0.4 against enemies without shields. Hmm... not a great deal. Unless you expect that opportunities to fire torpedoes will not always be available, such as if you are fighting fast moving ships that are hard to keep your ship pointed at; if you only get the chance to fire once every 10 seconds or more then the transphasic deals 3.3x the damage against shields and 0.72 x the damage against bare hull, which sounds a lot better. If you use torpedo spread a lot then you are probably hitting a lot of enemies that have shields up, so maybe it's a better deal for that.

Of course, if you turn off autofire and wait for shields to drop before firing torpedoes (which is probably a better strategy overall) then transphasics lose every time.

Note for those of you that would want a comparison with quantums... quantum torpedoes have higher damage but lower DPS than photons so a transphasic does a bit better in comparison for the max rate of fire comparison, but less well in the fire every 10 seconds or more competition.

====Advanced Torpedoes====

The problem, as has been pointed out, is that there are lots of different advanced Photon Torpedoes and hardly any transphasics. Just got off STOWiki and it seems like there aren't any transphasics in the reputation system. There's the Breen torpedo of course, and there is the torpedo from the Preserver set which looks like it might be okay (especially for an EPG build), and there's the house Martok transphasic, which I don't have, so I'm not sure if it's any good, but it doesn't really look that great.

So for high-level play it seems like there are just a lot of really good choices for torpedoes other categories, but not much for the transpahsic player. This tells me that transphasics may be workable in lower-level play but not for high-tier play.

I guess you guys already knew that but I had to do the math to see for myself. :)

• duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Yeah on paper they don't seem so bad when you do the math. The problem is how much of a normal engagement are you firing upon ships with shields up? Energy weapons do a good job of taking them down fast.

And if the ratio of shields to hull on NPCs are anything like players... 20k shields & 100k hull? (Just wild guessing for that) you have to burn though a lot more hull than shields. So raw dps is going to matter more than shield bypassing abilities.

Now if you could tailor a build where you can kill a ship before its shields drop; that'd be cool. B) But I don't think anything in the game has that potential. So you have to drop the shields first in every case.

I wonder what shield bypass percentage would be needed to make them viable? 60%? 90%? :o
    At what percentage would they be 'op' and killing ships w/ unbreached shields?
    And then probably only viable on a torp boat build, most likely.
    Since having a bunch of beams hitting shields while the torps bypass would be somewhat wasted damage.
    duasyn wrote: »
    Now if you could tailor a build where you can kill a ship before its shields drop; that'd be cool. B) But I don't think anything in the game has that potential. So you have to drop the shields first in every case.

Not quite. I think Megawell Builds can chew threw hull fast enough to still have some shields up. But the second the warp core breaches start chain reactions if you have a big enough murderball...

Its more effective on larger groups, but a high end Grav Well can do some significant damage.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Yeah on paper they don't seem so bad when you do the math. The problem is how much of a normal engagement are you firing upon ships with shields up? Energy weapons do a good job of taking them down fast.

And if the ratio of shields to hull on NPCs are anything like players... 20k shields & 100k hull? (Just wild guessing for that) you have to burn though a lot more hull than shields. So raw dps is going to matter more than shield bypassing abilities.

I wonder what shield bypass percentage would be needed to make them viable? 60%? 90%? :o
    At what percentage would they be 'op' and killing ships w/ unbreached shields?
    And then probably only viable on a torp boat build, most likely.
    Since having a bunch of beams hitting shields while the torps bypass would be somewhat wasted damage.

Well on the point of killing things with shields up, it is entirely possible. I have a couple of very different ships that do that.

First is a ship based on massive shield penetration, grabbing most all the shield penetration I can find, including directed energy modulation and the legendary sovereign trait. I think it still has around 400 shield pen without those, though. It definitely burns through hull while leaving shields up.

Second is a Malem torpedo boat. While it runs heavy on exotic damage with grav well 1, it can still just pound things to death with torpedoes, primarily the Romulan rep hyperplasma torpedo. The ship has nothing special to get through shields against ships not in the grav well, besides plasma fire from the torpedoes, and the infrequent gravimetric torpedo rift. No its not efficient or quick without the grav well, but it still works. I think in part it is due to a high crit chance, because it is a Romulan captain, but also because its firing torpedoes (or a stream of hyperplasmas) every .5 seconds with the Terran rep console and 3 torpedo doffs.

But with how well the torpedo boat works as it is, there isn't really a point to using transphasics. Anything else works fine.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Lets be honest most torpedoes suck, in most cases it's either Photon, Quantum, or bust...even plasma torpedoes are rather meh except for maybe the particle emissions torp on sci bombers or the hyper for torp spam and procing PWEs
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    The problem with Transphasic is the scaling was broken when the Delta Rising came out and we had the weapon rebalance along with the new higher item level. Transphasic base damage fall so far behind that there is zero reason to use them.

Backed when I used Quantum torps I would take down the shields faster then Transphasic. Even against shields the Quantum would still do more hull damage per shot then Transphasic and then when the shields did drop the Quantum would pull ahead even more. It just made Transphasic completely obsolete. (excluding the Transphasic Cluster Torp which is still great)

“I wonder what shield bypass percentage would be needed to make them viable? 60%? 90%? “
    Even at 90% they are still useless due to the low raw base damage. My Transphasics mines have a bonus 80% shield pen giving them a total of 90% which you can push further with traits. They are still useless compared to Photon or Quantum.

I used to run Transphasics boats but gave up they are just broken now though not as bad as Tricobalts.

EDIT: Speaking of shield pen which how does the math stack? 80% bonus + 10% bleed in most shields, +10% shield pen from trait. Surly that’s not 100%? What happens if you add in the 2nd shield pen trait and go past 100%?
This discussion has been closed.