test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Favorite Race

paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
what is everyone's favorite star trek race? for me it's Vulcans and Romulans.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    My personal favorite is a tie between Vulcans and TOS-style Romulan on one hand and Orions on the other. The Bajorans come in as a significant but fairly distant second.

Vorta are another, partially because of the mystery that surrounds them (Weyoun's job was to deceive the Federation so much of what he said about the Vorta and the Dominion cannot be trusted, his body language, vocal mannerisms, and word choices tell a very different story from the bare dialog, and the actor even said that was the case in interviews). Eris is probably a more reliable source since she was just an outpost commander who took advantage of a chance encounter and so probably not "read in" on the maskirovka that Weyoun later did such a masterful job of hoodwinking the Federation with.

Of the minor one-episode wonders it is a tossup between the First Federation and the Telluns (the Elasians and the Troyians), they both had a lot of unrealized potential.

• theshroudedtheshrouded Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    Jem'Hadar first and a very very close second Romulan.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    My favorite race is Human. Second is Android because of Data. Third might be Vulcan or Klingon because of Worf.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • p331p331 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    My favorite race is Andorian.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Romulan, followed by Orion and Klingon.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    of races I like not listed by others:
    Acamarians: TNG did in one episode a more in depth dive into Acamarian history and culture than practically any race ever seen in star Trek before.... especially Klingons.
    Boslic: these are notable as being a minor galactic power that's NOT hostile.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Human first, then a custom alien creation a friend and I put together that's half human. Guess that's not a true Star Trek race, but they are my favorite STO race.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    Human first, then a custom alien creation a friend and I put together that's half human. Guess that's not a true Star Trek race, but they are my favorite STO race.
    half breeds and hybrids do exist in star trek, https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Hybrid

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I know, but this hybrid is a made up human-alien, not a known alien type. Still, they hold a special place in our hearts, being our own creation.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Andorian first, Vulcan second, Romulan third...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Indianapolis 500. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    My favorite alien races are Cardassian followed by Romulan. Human has always been number 1 for me.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Tholians. They feel the most like a proper 'alien' race. (I'm also a sucker for crystalline tech and acute geometry)

I quite like the Trill, Gorn, Vorta, and Cardassians as well - for a number of societal and biological reasons.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Romulans and Cardassians...Trill are probably a close third
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    Powerboards on Risa.
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    Definitely Klingons for me
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    Caitians. Love dem catgirls.

Blake Approves
    Blake-Belladonna-In-RWBY-Volume-7.jpg

awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    Powerboards on Risa.

Powerboard race is fun, but the Biathlon is my favorite. The challenge of making that smooth switch from your powerboard to your floater, without either getting DQ'ed or losing too much time, is a real puppy-kicker. And the way it ends with that sharp turn up the steep hill, and then over the crest and down to the platform, I love it!

I'm really eager to get to this years LOLnut festival, though disappointed with how the "choose a ship" dealie turned out. It looks like the love child of Flipper and a beagle.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Andorians. Have been there ever since the Babel-conference in TOS, and were criminally underused as background-aliens.
    Them actually having dialogue and more was basically the only good thing about ENT in my book.
  • kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Here in STO: Klingon.
    In general... Borg.

To me the Borg are severely misunderstood.
    Let me point out: the original Borg (without the Queen and the multitude of changes down the line).

Up to ST-TNG's First Contact, the Borg were just a species collecting other species and their technologies to improve themselves in many a way.
    Death was not an option for them (why would they: each individual added was a drone more, thus an improvement), they always preferred to assimilate rather than kill.
    Destruction was a last resort...

This changed at the battle of Wofl359.
    Picard destroyed the whole fleet (I call total nonsense here!!!: the mere fact he was on board did NOT made it into a victory for the Borg, others (Star Fleet officers) had been assimilated way before Pickachu. ERRRR, I mean Pickachu, of course. :P )
    Furthermore: without the Borg superior Cube (compared to the inferior Star Fleet shippies), he would not have gotten anywhere.

That aside though: The Borg (to me) represent something else: a sort of Utopia.
    Let me explain...
    They assimilate species, species sometimes that are the arch enemy of another already assimilated species.
    And where they would not think a moment to kill that other, once assimilated... they become 'brothers'.
    Borg originally brought fallen comrades back to the ship, with the intention to heal them, to save them.
    Even if that Drone was a previously hated species.

The Borg did not know theft, hate, lust, or anything that would obstruct their logic and their goal.
    In their own way, they ACTUALLY brought peace.

Sure, one will say: and what about the individuality.
    But what is the price of this meaningless thing compared to universal and maybe multi-versial peace?
    I would say: those that would choose their individuality over this goal of peace, be it not intentional a Borg goal, even, is just egoistic in nature.

On top, there is the total superiority in about everything a Drone is: he can be in space without a suit, is nigh invulnerable to disease, and if a disease would hit them, they would adapt, there is the plethora of physical superiority, I mean...
    In every way, a Borg body is something to have, seeing how feeble our own bodies are.
    Try to take on a dog without a weapon, while we are bigger, dog would probably have the best of us, despite our higher intellect.
    Borg can assimilate data in speeds we can only dream off, and though their intellect is a shared one and accessible at all times, true, not individual, that too is a major asset to be had.

Too bad: First Contact turned the Borg in a more "I do not give a dang about life" villains.
    And it got worse from there: introducing a Queen, for one, or making the Hive Mind flawed (Really, writers???), even up to the Queen sacrificing entire Cubes, just for the hell of it, which goes against their initial ideology.
    Why sacrifice strength?
    Why sacrifice resources?
    From a machine ideology, this would be absolute contradictive.

I could give another few hundred points as to why the Borg are my favourite, but these to me prevail.

And more so each day, seeing the TRIBBLE we do to one another, and our environment!!!

I hope you enjoyed my text...

Feel free to respond, but keep it polite, thank you.
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    On a side note: I do get that the writers had to tone down the Borg, more even, these should not have been in ST at all: extremely too overpowered (hell, they had to make Species 8472 to deal with the Borg).
    However, as they were introduced, they (the writers) should have figured out other ways to let the universe deal with the Borg.
    And not crippling them, nerfing them, and gradually turn them into a joke as they did...

But, that's just me.
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Favourite race for Trek falls into three categories. Art, depiction, background.

Art wise I like Orions. Starfleet or KDF uniform they look good.
    Depiction is a bit tougher. As a human I like humans. But I love the way the romulans were in ToS. They had their own internal politics being played. A level of honor that would mesh well with TNG era klingons. Up to and including duties to die rather than be captured.
    Background is based on what has been shown. And for that I like the humans. Klingon desire for honour seems to forget who put food on the table. Who built your ship and weapons. Only those that Use those weapons matter! But for humanity we get heroes. People that will risk their lives to leave no one behind. That study that which others say is impossible. And then making it possible. Humanity in Trek has one statement to sum them up. "Don't tell me what can't be done."

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    I don't know what it is about Trill but... I like Trill.
    (mostly female Trill.)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • silk121silk121 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    My favorite is whichever one Jeffery Combs is playing this week.
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    I'm not sure, maybe the Romulans?
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Targs, then Tellarites. Both underused and suffered from unnecessary aesthetical changes. I'd love to get more exposition on Tellarite society maybe in Strange New Worlds or Lower Decks even. I wish they'd get back their hooved claws though. And Targs need to be less cartoony (ENT CGI was awfull) and more like spikey dire wild boar.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    I recently made a Ferasan and they are now my favorite STO race. Humans are my favorite Star Trek race overall though.
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • nickkyana#2794 nickkyana Member Posts: 16,147 Arc User
    Trill for sure
    "We have no tomorrow, but there's still hope for the future. In our struggle to survive the present, we push the future farther away. Will I see it in my lifetime? Probably not. Which means there's no time to waste. Someday the world will no longer need us. No need for the gun, or the hand to pull the trigger." -Punished Snake
This discussion has been closed.