test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What would YOU add to Star Trek Online

Comments

• paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    Add dialogue options for romulan players to be sneaky backstabbers and infiltrators, that's literally their entire hat, Vulcans are logical, Klingons are honorable, Ferengi are greedy capitalists and Romulans are lying treacherous petaQs!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator

funny. i dont recall this information being passed along. from what i have been seeing, it is akami or whatever its called, and that PW/Cryptic know full well the issue, but refuse to fix it.
    now, if you have details that can confirm it is out of their hands, then by all means share the links or more so we all can be in the know.

The mentioned node is Akami. And since its not something they can deal with directly, its not that they refuse to fix it, but more that they can't. What they have been doing is collecting more data on the issue. What will come about it... who knows. Maybe if they can pinpoint the exact node, they can contact their ISP or Akami and say "hey your disurpting our customers at X. Can you do something about that?"
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • flatulencius#6400 flatulencius Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    I'd use the 'Go to deepspace' button at the edge of sector space to take players to a huge map similar to exploration clusters of old, containing new planets, random encounters, and as much exploration as we can eat. It could be implemented as an ongoing thing, with new stuff added periodically (preferably that doesn't simply involve 'go there, scan that').
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    This was posted on reddit but some of those hairstyles would be pretty nice to have for some space barbie

v33z44kqvra51.jpg?width=1800&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=2b24a4766f1c858674300fa860e1f239c8c8f955

huvl8a4uvra51.jpg?width=1800&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=f4b53ab6e14678bbb52484efd3c563035a468803

I'm always amenable to more space Barbie options, so count me in for that.
    Add dialogue options for romulan players to be sneaky backstabbers and infiltrators, that's literally their entire hat, Vulcans are logical, Klingons are honorable, Ferengi are greedy capitalists and Romulans are lying treacherous petaQs!

I agree on more RP dialogue options. I have been playing Mass Effect recently, and I rather like how it has Paragon and Renegade options, similar to the Light and Dark Side options in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, which I really enjoyed back in the day. Would be delighted to see something similar in STO.

Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User

My main is a Romulan Engineer and I can state with certainty he is not a "sneaky backstabber". Nor is he a "lying, treacherous p'taQ" Swearing in a different language from your native tongue can be tricky to spell correctly.

Bing Translator can be your friend, if you let it.

Further, if Klingons are so very honorable, how do you explain the actions of General Chang? An assassination attempt to foster a war between your country and another, which is trying to help you out of a problem you created, is so clearly the act of someone with a very high sense of honor, isn't it? The actions of J'mpok in this game during the current storyline just scream "honor", don't they? Lying and stealing are essential parts of honor, after all.

The actions of T'Pring during the TOS episode Amok Time are anything except logical. Vindictive? Yes. Emotional? Very much so. The actions of the Vulcan High Council during almost any episode of Enterprise are based upon questionable logic. As in, "Hey gang! Let's build a covert spy station under a monastery to keep an eye on those gosh darn Andorians!".

Quark's interaction with Grilka had very little to do with turning a profit. Nog joined Starfleet. There's your greed, right there.

TL;DR version: Don't go off half cocked with incomplete information to stereotype someone. Because this is an excellent start to racism.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Honestly I'd say if there's any underlying characteristic for the Romulans it's pride both national and personal. Yes Romulans use sneaky and deceptive tactics when it suits their goals but they're also perfectly capable of being honest to a fault (I mean this is the culture where you have subset where everything must said without any deception what so ever).

Now as an option sure, I mean my Reman is deceptive and sneaky when it suits her purposes but at same time she also knows the value of honesty and truth and thus knows that lying as a way of life would ultimately hurt those goals she's working towards.
  • ishigami2ishigami2 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    This was posted on reddit but some of those hairstyles would be pretty nice to have for some space barbie

v33z44kqvra51.jpg?width=1800&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=2b24a4766f1c858674300fa860e1f239c8c8f955

huvl8a4uvra51.jpg?width=1800&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=f4b53ab6e14678bbb52484efd3c563035a468803

Were these official concept arts?
    I want those options for the Republic uniform and that Federation alliance uniform is really, really nice.
    Hair styles would be a nice addtion as well fo course.

Anyway I would not so much add something but do something differently.
    One of my main issues with the game is the heavy reliance on gambling and pay to progress in its business model.
    I would not start playing this game today as it stands. I keep playing because I already got “everything” due to my prolonged playtime and income by life time subscription.

I would try to more heavily monetize and extend space barbie and reduce monetization for progression.
    For example make all ship traits available decoupled from their actual ships in either cheaper c-store unlocks or in more available boxes that thus should reduce prices and increase availability.
    Other games do well with cosmetics options for purchases like hairstyles, costumes etc. STO has costumes but compared to for example reworked ship models they are mostly of rather poor quality today.
    Maybe tap into “player housing” utilizing the underused and mostly pointless ship interior option and monetize that instead of over reliance on gambling boxes.
    Stuff like this.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    Mirror Typhoon Class! :wink:
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • starshine#7408 starshine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    1. DSC species. Andorians especially. But just generally more species options for the Disco faction.
    2. slower smaller stakes storylines. Less about saving the universe and more about following a set of characters, political event, one planet etc. I like the current klingon one but its still got that superweapon and whole alliance at risk thing going on. I'd like more small scale story episodes and stuff. Like in star trek.
    3. A TOS era romulan pilot ship.
    4. ALL UNLOCKED UNIFORMS FOR ALL BRIDGE OFFICERS. I don't care where you came from when you're on my ship you wear my uniform and my badge. All this romulans or robots not being allowed to wear the TOS era badges? That one BOff who doesnt match the others? etc? No more.
    5. Full Tel Shiar uniform unlocked for romulans who do that mission. All the pieces for both genders.
    6. An automatic filter to stop hate speech in the ESD? or atleast to flag it for moderation. Maybe instead just a roster of paid moderators to monitor the main hub chats.
    TOS>LDS>DSC>VOY>DS9>PRO>ENT>TNG>PIC

Bring the Enterprise XCV-330 to STO
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    Number one on my list would be custom bridge and interior, I'd even pay out cold hard cash for zen if that where an option.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    I'd use the 'Go to deepspace' button at the edge of sector space to take players to a huge map similar to exploration clusters of old, containing new planets, random encounters, and as much exploration as we can eat. It could be implemented as an ongoing thing, with new stuff added periodically (preferably that doesn't simply involve 'go there, scan that').

I liked the old exploration clusters. I liked the way you had to chase things down and scan them, and sometimes it was resources, sometimes it was a planetary system. I didn't mind the sameness of the procedurally-generated missions. I liked the way you had to use your scanner to track stuff down.

As far as what would I add? Ummmmmm...hey look, a squirrel!!!!
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    Unless its something really basic like "go there, scan that" type missions there is no way Cryptic could reasonably generate a large sum of "explorable" content in any reasonable amount of time.

*cough* Foundry has had literally thousands of missions that could have been used in deep space exploration *cough*
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I'm not understanding why some people are saying stuff about "pay to progress". The game is playable without spending a dime. A properly set up non C-Store ship can still do the content. And people have done it before. Yea a T6 ship might make things easier with the traits and stuff... but its not necessary. And considering we also get at least 3 free T6 ships a year...

I'm just not seeing where it says we MUST, WITHOUT QUESTION UNDER PENALTY OF X, pay money to progress in the game. There is no real P2W in this game. Its Pay to HAVE NOW.
    There's a lot of things I'd like in game, like the Disco D7 and those legendary Fed ships. Are they absolutely Must have or my game experience suffers? No.
    Are any ship traits or gear an an absolute MUST HAVE? Only if you're wanting to squeeze out every last decimal point of performance.
    Can a player get through the story on just the free T6 ships? Yes.
    Can a player get through the story on just the free T5 ships? Yes, if built right.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'm not understanding why some people are saying stuff about "pay to progress". The game is playable without spending a dime. I'm just not seeing where it says we MUST, WITHOUT QUESTION UNDER PENALTY OF X, pay money to progress in the game. There is no real P2W in this game. Its Pay to HAVE NOW.

This right here is 100% correct, on the console version you can even convert dil to zen, it just takes a really long time like 3 to 4 years at minimum and that's if you have more than 8 or 9 toons, I would personally fix the dil to zen conversion system so that 8000 dil equals 50 zen, the sooner I get that LTS the better.

• captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    *cough* Foundry has had literally thousands of missions that could have been used in deep space exploration *cough*
    Ahh yes those foundry missions
    • 90% of which were just as bad the original "beam down a scan five things" exploration missions
    • Weren't really exploration based either
    • Can't be used in the game due to being vastly different coding wise
    • Collectively took many many many hours on the part of the users to make, proving my point about the time cost of making such content

If you really want to take it at percentages, when the Foundry was shut down there were approximately 100,000 missions built. Even if you say just 1% (not your 10%) of those is 'good', that's 1000 GOOD missions - about 10 times what the devs have put out in 10 years. Members of the dev team themselves have stated there were many, MANY great missions in the Foundry that really impressed them.

If the idiotic PWE upper mangers had simply assigned even a single dev to oversee the Foundry on a regular basis, it wouldn't have fallen into disrepair after YEARS of neglect to the point no one had a clue how to work the coding any longer. That's on them.

The Foundry, or should I say an integrated, well maintained Foundry, would be the perfect basis for a rich, nearly limitless, content based exploration system THAT NO OTHER GAME WOULD HAVE.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    1. DSC species. Andorians especially. But just generally more species options for the Disco faction.
    2. slower smaller stakes storylines. Less about saving the universe and more about following a set of characters, political event, one planet etc. I like the current klingon one but its still got that superweapon and whole alliance at risk thing going on. I'd like more small scale story episodes and stuff. Like in star trek.
    3. A TOS era romulan pilot ship.
    4. ALL UNLOCKED UNIFORMS FOR ALL BRIDGE OFFICERS. I don't care where you came from when you're on my ship you wear my uniform and my badge. All this romulans or robots not being allowed to wear the TOS era badges? That one BOff who doesnt match the others? etc? No more.
    5. Full Tel Shiar uniform unlocked for romulans who do that mission. All the pieces for both genders.
    6. An automatic filter to stop hate speech in the ESD? or at least to flag it for moderation. Maybe instead just a roster of paid moderators to monitor the main hub chats.

I agree with most of what you said but I am leery about this automatic filter because I have been reported and my comment was taken out of context. I support the First Amendment unless someone is threatening someone, planning to murder someone, the comment is actually racist, hateful, etc.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • sci321sci321 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    The top two things on my list are remove the limit of one set and one non-set omni and reduce the minimum cool down on BFAW from 20 seconds to 15 seconds.
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    Exploration.
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    A updated more stable version of the foundry.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • ishigami2ishigami2 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'm not understanding why some people are saying stuff about "pay to progress". The game is playable without spending a dime. A properly set up non C-Store ship can still do the content. And people have done it before. Yea a T6 ship might make things easier with the traits and stuff... but its not necessary. And considering we also get at least 3 free T6 ships a year...

I'm just not seeing where it says we MUST, WITHOUT QUESTION UNDER PENALTY OF X, pay money to progress in the game. There is no real P2W in this game. Its Pay to HAVE NOW.
    There's a lot of things I'd like in game, like the Disco D7 and those legendary Fed ships. Are they absolutely Must have or my game experience suffers? No.
    Are any ship traits or gear an an absolute MUST HAVE? Only if you're wanting to squeeze out every last decimal point of performance.
    Can a player get through the story on just the free T6 ships? Yes.
    Can a player get through the story on just the free T5 ships? Yes, if built right.

And I don't get apologist like you in return. You get nothing from Cryptic to shill for them so why do it?
    No one ever said you can’t play the game without paying money… what people say is that you will be mediocre for a pretty long time because of it, not to mention your experience will probably suffer as well. (dock, bank, inventory, boff, doff- slots.)
    At some point you are at a practical standstill. The “only” way to improve what you have is to get those traits, those consoles and those ships. (and some service items)
    At some point the game crunches up the grind to “play for free” for these items so much so that it becomes all but “impossible” to get them if you play “regularly”.
    The game is by design nagging, tempting and down right socially pressuring you to shell out money to improve your performance/experience.
    Or why do you think the game announces winner of lockbox ships to everyone for example?
    I even admit that pay to barbie is doing so as well. But at least it isn’t hampering your general performance and strait up purchases are at least honest about their pricing. Is it without issue? No. Is it fairer to what we ahve now? TRIBBLE yes.
    You are misrepresenting the issue by simplyfing it and going to the "optional" excuse which is proven false on so many levels it isn't funny anymore.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/JimSterling/videos
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    Ahh yes those foundry missions
    • 90% of which were just as bad the original "beam down a scan five things" exploration missions
    • Weren't really exploration based either
    • Can't be used in the game due to being vastly different coding wise
    • Collectively took many many many hours on the part of the users to make, proving my point about the time cost of making such content

If you really want to take it at percentages, when the Foundry was shut down there were approximately 100,000 missions built. Even if you say just 1% (not your 10%) of those is 'good', that's 1000 GOOD missions - about 10 times what the devs have put out in 10 years. Members of the dev team themselves have stated there were many, MANY great missions in the Foundry that really impressed them.

If the idiotic PWE upper mangers had simply assigned even a single dev to oversee the Foundry on a regular basis, it wouldn't have fallen into disrepair after YEARS of neglect to the point no one had a clue how to work the coding any longer. That's on them.

The Foundry, or should I say an integrated, well maintained Foundry, would be the perfect basis for a rich, nearly limitless, content based exploration system THAT NO OTHER GAME WOULD HAVE.

anyone remember the old Neverwinter Nights game? they had a developer toolbox. I STILL play that game and have many of the user made episodes. there is an awesome one called sex and the single sorceress that is hilarious.
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
This discussion has been closed.