test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PC Patch Notes 07/16/20

eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
Star Trek Online will have PC maintenance tomorrow, 7/16, at 7am PT. Estimated downtime is 2.5 hours. You can find the patch notes here:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11476223
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Thanks for posting... You know, they ought to pay you

:wink:
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Thanks for the link, much appreciated.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • exanguinateexanguinate Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    patch notes have all of nothing in there except 2 small things, so how is the patch several hundred of MB ?
  • sleel43sleel43 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    Way to jump all over fixing Afterlife. Not like ppl might want to see what the revamp did to Grethor and the Barge. Nope. Only been over two weeks like this. What's the rush.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    i don't think they actually revamped anything in that arc yet anyway - it was just the tutorial and franklin drake/rura penthe missions​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    patch notes have all of nothing in there except 2 small things, so how is the patch several hundred of MB ?

Not everything gets listed in the patch notes only what is deemed essential. If everything was listed it would run into pages.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Yeah, but the patch is 1Gb for me... and i dont have the on demand thing enabled... so... its a lot..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    Yeah, but the patch is 1Gb for me... and i dont have the on demand thing enabled... so... its a lot..

WOW that was a lot. Dunno how much mine was, but I know it only took 3 or 4 minutes
  • sniper1187sniper1187 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    Wonder how many "stealth" nerfs went in, all game companies do "stealth" nerfs. lol
    "Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure"
  • ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    reduced timer on event tfo. 30 secs shaved off the 90 sec snooze. My response to change try harder
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    And the Accolade for saving the 15 people on Khitomer still isn't fixed.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yeah, it just worked out that this was a big download for a very small update.

The way that works is.. lets say they change one thing that is small in the scope of the game. But that one thing is defined in several areas of several files.. once that change is made, any file that is effected has to be re-downloaded. So lets say you have a 100MB file that gets 2 or 3 characters in the entire file changed. The launcher can't just go into your file and make that small change, it re-downloads that entire file with a new version that contains the changes.

That is why you sometimes see large downloads for small changes. Any slight update to a game file requires the launcher to re-acquire that entire file. It can be very confusing for players because they do a 2GB update and get in game and find that pretty much everything is the same as it was yesterday. Just one of those things.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Yeah, it just worked out that this was a big download for a very small update.

The way that works is.. lets say they change one thing that is small in the scope of the game. But that one thing is defined in several areas of several files.. once that change is made, any file that is effected has to be re-downloaded. So lets say you have a 100MB file that gets 2 or 3 characters in the entire file changed. The launcher can't just go into your file and make that small change, it re-downloads that entire file with a new version that contains the changes.

That is why you sometimes see large downloads for small changes. Any slight update to a game file requires the launcher to re-acquire that entire file. It can be very confusing for players because they do a 2GB update and get in game and find that pretty much everything is the same as it was yesterday. Just one of those things.

IIRC that's actually how all computer files work, in that when you make change to text file or picture it doesn't save just the changes you made but overwrites then previous version with a new file that's mostly identical (and referenced from RAM) apart from the changes you've made and thus the previous file essentially doesn't exist anymore (thus making reverting to previous version if said version isn't archived somewhere next if not totally impossible).

Only we don't notice this normally is that your PC has most of the file needed in its working memory (aka RAM) and can just pull it when ever needed, where as STO game files aren't in the RAM when the game isn't running and thus cannot be replicated this way.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,455 Arc User
    Thanks for the patch notes. Still wish more than two items were fixed but at least things were fixed.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Yes, but the question everyone is on pins and needles about, two fixed but how many newly broken? :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.