test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Platinum phaser sniper rifle

2»

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yeah, you can use kits like Deadly Intent to reduce the secondary cooldown so you can 'snipe' far more often. I don't have the patience for the Snipers myself, I use that same kit on the Thompson so I can 'spray and pray' as much as possible. It fits my impatient and wildly chaotic battle style a little better. Combine it with Trajectory Bending and Graviton Spike to make the spread all flanking attacks that deal some kinetic damage with a mini gravity well and it's just a good time all around. That always appealed to me more then a Sniper Rifle, but those that now how to use the Snipers can deal some good spike damage with them.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Going to me made claimable on all Characters tomorrow.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    Going to me made claimable on all Characters tomorrow.

While I don't personally have a huge use for this particular weapon, that was a great change that I was happy to see in the patch notes.

Account Wide is the way to go! :smile:
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    Everyone: Please make this bound to account
    Cryptic: We'll make this reclaimable on all characters.

Thanks for listening and doing one better guys.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    Everyone: Please make this bound to account
    Cryptic: We'll make this reclaimable on all characters.

Thanks for listening and doing one better guys.

they did it that way because they can't upgrade a character-bound flag on an item to an account-bound one as easily as they can downgrade it - they stated that once in the past, but don't ask me to dig it up​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    The Character I originally claimed it on could claim it again, once. So it seems that, that Character can have two. If you Claim again, it will will not let you open the Pack.

It also has now been set to not Reengineerable and the initial one I claimed previously that was Reengineered is reset to default wasting the resources I spent doing so.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    I have not been able to reclaim it. How do you do that?
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    You go to Mudd's Market, to the All tab, and then you should be able to reclaim it.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    If you already have one and claim another, you can't open the box. All I got was "You can only have one of a unique item"
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    echatty wrote: »
    If you already have one and claim another, you can't open the box. All I got was "You can only have one of a unique item"

Try giving the rifle to a Bridge Officer before you open the box. Sometimes it doesn't detect the other item if it's not on the Captain. :wink:
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    still not as fun as a whole away team of boffs with the honor guard grenade launchers
    Spock.jpg

No, even if you give it to a Bridge Officer you cannot open up another. There is one exception however. If you were the original Character that got the Rifle when it was single Character only, and you had Reengineered it, then when it was made Account-wide you could claim another. This is what happened to me.

I claimed the Rifle on a Character when it was single Character only. I Reengineered it and the Infinity Symbol on it disappeared. When it became Account-wide after the Patch I claimed another. The original Rifle still had no Infinity Symbol AND had reverted to its original Procs and could not be Reengineered.

The newly claimed Rifle had the Infinity Symbol and could not be Reengineered. I logged off and back on. The original Rifle, still without the Infinity Symbol, could now be Reengineered again. The new one with the Symbol still cannot be Reengineered.

I had to pay for the Reengineering twice on the original single Character Rifle but that Character has two of those Rifles. You cannot claim more than one of the newer Account-wide Rifles and cannot Reengineer it. I suspect that they ended up being two different Items in the Item Database.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I can do that just fine, you just have to upgrade it first to re-engi..
    kyuvaxb.jpg
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    You mean 'pretend' Upgrade, to take the Infinity Symbol off as it is already Mk XV Epic.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    ltminns wrote: »
    You mean 'pretend' Upgrade, to take the Infinity Symbol off as it is already Mk XV Epic.

Yes, it will change to XV and you will be able to re-engi the item :smile: (depending on your char level, of course)
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    I tried it on the Account-wide Version. It gives the option to Upgrade (on a Level 65 Character). I had to apply a Tech Upgrade. I used a Basic one. It ate it and the 400 Dilithium. It kept letting me upgrade as internally it was going through the motions for the number of Tech Points per Level. When it ran out of Tech Points it required another Tech Upgrade.

I burned a Phoenix and it kept letting me upgrade until it ran out of points for the theoretical Level that it was at (the Infinity Symbol was still there and no Mk Level still showed). After this I gave up. At no point in these 'upgrades' did the Reengineering Option get added to the Context Menu.

I think that it just won't let me upgrade the Account-wide one as I already have the original Character only one and that would make two identical Unique items.

This happened with the Thompson Submachine Gun. On the original Character that claimed after unlocking it, I claimed one and then upgraded it to Mk XV Epic. It let me claim a second but the system wouldn't let me upgrade at all. It was stuck at Mk XII Very Rare. I could not claim any others.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    edited July 2020

Fair enough, I honestly would say I fall into the 'using it badly' category with Sniper Rifles. :lol:

For Borg, I prefer the Thompson or something like that so I'll admit I am not the one to ask for an assessment of the Platinum vs. The TR but your analysis sounds pretty on point.

Still, it would be cool if they made the platinum account unlocked.. it would be a nice weapon for a fresh 65 that's climbing the ladder toward their Reputation/ Lobi gear.

The problem with using the TR "correctly" is that it takes so loooooong to fire that secondary attack, and exposure only lasts for a few seconds.

I missed the Thompson somehow, and I'm wondering if there's some way to get it now. I have looked in the Phoenix box stuffs and don't see it there.

well you can always lob a grenade and light off expose, I'm sure engy and sci-guys have some similar trait that an attack tips expose. pop him with that pop the TR secondary. for that matter you can use you other slot's weapon to expose, swap and pop...

while we are on the subject of physicl weapons, we have the Sniper, we have the assault (tommy gun) we have the pulsewave (shotgun). I'd love to see either a 1911 .45, the .38 Smith and wesson 6" police special or the model 1900 Parabellum-Pistole (luger) that are in many TOS episodes, and in the case of the 1911, in a tleast 1 TNG episode
    Spock.jpg

This discussion has been closed.