test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Proxima Class

Comments

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    leemwatson wrote: »
    That's a no. Ships 'owned' by another software company are absolutely off-limits, as are anything not shown on-screen. The only exceptions are concept designs for ships that 'might' have made it to the screen such as the T6 Ambassador, designs made for competitions held ONLY by Cryptic, and a couple that have appeared in books for which rights were bought. The later two are big-headaches, which is why those will probably never happen again.

This subject is covered in the FCT's.

15) Inclusion of Fan-Designed Ships or Ships from Other Star Trek Licensees

Short answer: No, this is not likely to happen.

For ships from other Star Trek licensed properties, for example Star Trek: Starfleet Command, the tabletop RPGs by FASA or Last Unicorn Games, or any original ships Pocket Books' novel writers may invent in the future, Cryptic has to negotiate for the rights to each design individually with the other license-holder, as they did pre-launch with the Luna-class reconnaissance science vessel (Pocket Books' Star Trek: Titan) and Vesta-class multi-mission explorer (Pocket Books' Star Trek: Destiny). It's simply faster and cheaper for them to create their own original ships.

There are several fan-designed or fan-named ships already in the game, but the fracas that ensued over the "Design the Next Enterprise" contest has led the development team to decide against soliciting any further designs. There was one other competition since then to design what became the Jupiter-class carrier, but it involved variations of developer-made designs.

Any ship that appeared in a Star Trek TV show or film is still potentially fair game, though.

Well, I seen one odd time it happened. Interplay's Star Trek Academy, from 1997, had a Klingon super ship....same model was reused in Activision's Star Trek Armada 2, as a Klingon cargo ship. :|

I do like the TOS ship in question, though. B)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    well, i would have said that was because a majority of interplay eventually ended up with vivendi universal, which merged with activision nearly 10 years later...but that was in 2008 - well AFTER A2's release

so i guess maybe activision negotiated directly with the ship's designer for it? i honestly have no fluffing idea​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    Well, I seen one odd time it happened. Interplay's Star Trek Academy, from 1997, had a Klingon super ship....same model was reused in Activision's Star Trek Armada 2, as a Klingon cargo ship. :|

STA2 reused the Winged Defender too, but the wings are inverted and the name is changed to 'Draconarius'.

They also reused the Incursion from Away Team (which was also mentioned in SFC3), but all games that feature/mention her were pubbed by Activision.

yeah, you see constant cross-game references from the same company all the time - it's why you can find DOOM stuff in fallout 4's creation club, since BGS owns the DOOM franchise

well, technically it's owned by ZeniMax Media, but that's BGS' parent company​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    edited June 2020
    yeah, you see constant cross-game references from the same company all the time

Yeah.

I mean, almost any Star Trek game had some unique designs I wish we could have in STO, but the reality is that it's next-to-never.

Dominion Wars had the Achilles, which saw a decent fan-created remodel that gave it nice detail.

Armada had the Premonition, which I personally would *really* love to see in STO.

Away Team had the Incursion, which was essentially the holo-ship from Insurrection and the Defiant run over by a gigantic flattening-iron. Not a fan.

Legacy had multiple kitbash-designs and some almost original ones. Minuteman, Yorktown and Proxima as well as the romulan Harpy were very cool IMO.

Star Trek Invasion had the Typhon and multiple types of Valkyrie-type fighters - All of those are great designs. Also, there was another Sovereign-class ship, the USS Sentinel, which featured a slightly different silhouette and new warp-nacelles (as it had an experimental warp-drive). Very nice variation.
    The game also had intriguing original designs. The big bad of that game were also the Hur'q... but very different from how STO depicts them. Very cool designs though.
    i haven't played armada in years (because modern systems can't run it and also because my copy is kind of banged up) but i recall the premonition basically being a modified sovereign (which makes sense, since when your entire quadrant has been assimilated and you're trying to build a timeship to go back and undo it, you use what you have available) - same general silhouette but with minor changes to the saucer and nacelles and the one major change being the temporal core (or what i presume was the temporal core) stuck where the shuttlebay is on a sovvy

if cryptic somehow ever managed to get permission to do armada stuff (which has a less and 0.68% chance of happening), it wouldn't take them long to make the premonition, since half the work is already done​​

#LegalizeAwoo

edited June 2020
    but i recall the premonition basically being a modified sovereign

The "temporal core-module" aside, Premonition's nacelles are shorter, the hull is quite a bit more bulky and more angular, the saucer has a larger slope upward. It definately borrows a lot from the Sovereign, but also has clear differences.
    However, the fan-created rework for her is A LOT more like a Sovereign.

That's essentially a sharper-textured version of the original model and the one I prefer:

340?cb=20140207132406&path-prefix=de

Then, there was this fan-made model, with sloped pylons and a MUCH more Sovereign-esque shape (which was also the one reviewed by Trekyards):

star_trek__uss_premonition_by_borgster93_d8qilxf-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD02NDgiLCJwYXRoIjoiXC9mXC9jNjY1YzlhMi0wYjBmLTQ5YTctOTY0Ny0wMWNlODM1YmRmODNcL2Q4cWlseGYtNjYyNjZhMGItMjdlMy00YmEzLWIxOTMtNDdmNDRjMTY3OGQyLmpwZyIsIndpZHRoIjoiPD0xNjAwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.sijGjUvq1JrUBQyDoECNJnLc_4WbOA2IKnTfVkGLdEA
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    The Premonition wasn't a Sovy, but was very heavily influenced by the Sovy.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited June 2020
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The Premonition wasn't a Sovy, but was very heavily influenced by the Sovy.

Personally I felt it was like an early attempt at a Sovy-successor, and when the Borg ran over every major faction they incorporated the Manheim-research and rushed the early prototype out. The game just didn't explain her origin. Along with the name, it being a time-travel-capable vessel were just a hyperbolic McGuffin at the end of the day. I really love her original ingame-design however.

True. She was pretty much a plot device.
    I once found a mod for Armada II that added the Premonition as a buildable class for Fed, comparable to the Sovy, but with added temporal shenanigans.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited June 2020
    True. She was pretty much a plot device.
    I once found a mod for Armada II that added the Premonition as a buildable class for Fed, comparable to the Sovy, but with added temporal shenanigans.

Just editing a few odf- and the techtree-files was actually easy to do, especially in STA2. You could make all those campaign-exclusive things buildable, amongst other things. But, one of the mods I used had a retexture that was more in line with A2.

And when ST:Legacy was out, the shipstats actually come from the exact same style of .odf-file-structure, meaning you could easily edit or debunk how things work. It's also sort-of evidence that Legacy was at some point going to be Armada 3.

The eponimous Proxima in particular has an interesting command-line in her "broadside"-cannons - fireallbanks = 1. In terms of coding, it's just ONE cannon that's fired from all specified hardpoints facing the target.
    I never liked trying to mod Armada 2 honestly. Always afraid I would mess up with a simple typo. Now... modding Jedi Academy? Hehe... just drag and drop the .pk3 file into the base folder. Same with Elite Force, and to an extent Legacy.

My copy of Legacy had so many mods...

I only tried to make a mod of my own a couple times. Mostly just tweaking an existing one. A Yuna model for JA that seemed to be missing voice clips that it actually had but wasn't using, and a Renamon model, tweaking the red team version to be a black Renamon with red sleeves while leaving the blue team one standard yellow with blue sleves.
    Also... Jedi Renamon was rather fun in single player, despite not being able to really close her paws around a lightsaber.
    I never liked trying to mod Armada 2 honestly. Always afraid I would mess up with a simple typo. Now... modding Jedi Academy? Hehe... just drag and drop the .pk3 file into the base folder. Same with Elite Force, and to an extent Legacy.

My copy of Legacy had so many mods...

I only tried to make a mod of my own a couple times. Mostly just tweaking an existing one. A Yuna model for JA that seemed to be missing voice clips that it actually had but wasn't using, and a Renamon model, tweaking the red team version to be a black Renamon with red sleeves while leaving the blue team one standard yellow with blue sleves.
    Also... Jedi Renamon was rather fun in single player, despite not being able to really close her paws around a lightsaber.

It's not unusual to sometimes have to look where you forgot a dot, a comma, or where you accidentally pasted a space when there shouldn't be one in a line. Armada II usually just crashes if you had any of these errors in a tt-file or the odf's.

On Legacy, I didn't really try that much.
    It was back in the golden age of FileFront.
    i know that frustration - i have had those kinds of issues MANY times over the past 15 years of A2 modding

at least fleetops makes it a bit easier to diagnose crashes, and if using version 4.0, you don't get any of those issues with the techtree stuff, because they swapped those from ini to XML​​

#LegalizeAwoo

Hey Shadow... you have a 404 error in your sig.
    shows up fine for me​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• morrow#1528 morrow Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    The ships is based from StarTrek and owned by StarTrek.

There is no such corporate entity. Star Trek doesn't own itself... it's primarily owned by CBS (thanks to a variety of corporate mergers, splits, and so forth). Over the years, they've licensed it to various software companies for games, and also to other companies for other products. Many of those companies have created additional content. The key is though, that that "additional content" is not solely owned by CBS, so CBS can't then license it out without the third-party who created it being involved. (In the case of Legacy, any *new* ships created for it would be partially owned by that game's developer.)

In our case, the game is run/created by Cryptic, and they can only use stuff actually owned by CBS (which is virtually the same thing as things created or seen in the various TV series and films) and/or by themselves, without extra obstacles. There are a few cases where they have gone ahead and jumped through those hoops to get specific things not covered by the CBS license, but don't expect it to happen again as they've also gotten burned by it.

It's still StarTrek as in the Franchise.

Its nothing like the Federation Class Dread.
    7ed63902e1496ba9f976fde1bf30c433.jpg

I'd honestly compare the Proxima more to the Yamato class from Starfleet Command/Klingon Academy
    yamato_class_bb_by_jetfreak_7_d34lcz1-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD0xMDQ4IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZjJlMGY4MTItNzYwZS00MjZkLTg3OTItZmU1MzgxN2NjYmQzXC9kMzRsY3oxLTIzNDM3ZDc2LWNkODYtNGE5NC05NDM0LTc0N2ZhZGNkOTc1OC5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9Njc1In1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.OIve2Tj18mZ3pjCqYscy9zF5_JDel9ZekqHz0N-ICRY

Love that Design wish it was on the game... like my other designs XD

https://www.furaffinity.net/view/8428821/

https://www.furaffinity.net/view/8407608/
  • christian#3573 christian Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Kinda wish they could use some of the FASA ships. I've always had a (very large) soft spot for the Baker-class Destroyer. As strange as it looked.

• lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    yeah, you see constant cross-game references from the same company all the time
    Away Team had the Incursion, which was essentially the holo-ship from Insurrection and the Defiant run over by a gigantic flattening-iron. Not a fan.
    Aesthetically, I'm not a fan of the Incursion either. But I always thought that the holo-cloak it has would be a good mechanic for Fed ships instead of the traditional cloaking device. IMO it feels more in line with existing Fed tactics from the series.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User

There is no such corporate entity. Star Trek doesn't own itself... it's primarily owned by CBS (thanks to a variety of corporate mergers, splits, and so forth). Over the years, they've licensed it to various software companies for games, and also to other companies for other products. Many of those companies have created additional content. The key is though, that that "additional content" is not solely owned by CBS, so CBS can't then license it out without the third-party who created it being involved. (In the case of Legacy, any *new* ships created for it would be partially owned by that game's developer.)

In our case, the game is run/created by Cryptic, and they can only use stuff actually owned by CBS (which is virtually the same thing as things created or seen in the various TV series and films) and/or by themselves, without extra obstacles. There are a few cases where they have gone ahead and jumped through those hoops to get specific things not covered by the CBS license, but don't expect it to happen again as they've also gotten burned by it.

As far as Copyright goes that's irrelevant.

Here's a very rough explanation on how copyright works for Star Trek.

CBS owns the overall copyright IP as well as the specific copyright for the TV series. This means CBS can granted a license(aka permission) for other companies to produce works within the Star Trek IP.

Paramount Pictures owns the copyright for the movies all of them.

Various License holders hold copyright to the original content within the works they're made (CBS can IIRC take parts of that original content and add it to parts they directly hold copyright for, but they cannot grant the permission for original material within Licensed products, for example someone at Cryptic had to approve the Odyssey-class appearing in the Picard tie in comics as far as I know those comics were a Licensed product).

Oh and just to make things clear Bad Robot does not and has never owned copyright to any part of Star Trek, they made the Kelvin Timeline movies for Paramount who owns the copyright to those movies. Also as far as I can tell NBC also never owned Copyright to any part of Star Trek, Desilu Productions/Studios (it was known by both names) owned the Copyright until it was bought by CBS (well it's more complex then that but the details aren't important).
    and CBS-viacom owns everything now​​

#LegalizeAwoo

spiritborn wrote: »

CBS owns the overall copyright IP as well as the specific copyright for the TV series. This means CBS can granted a license(aka permission) for other companies to produce works within the Star Trek IP.

Various License holders hold copyright to the original content within the works they're made (CBS can IIRC take parts of that original content and add it to parts they directly hold copyright for, but they cannot grant the permission for original material within Licensed products, for example someone at Cryptic had to approve the Odyssey-class appearing in the Picard tie in comics as far as I know those comics were a Licensed product).

Oh and just to make things clear Bad Robot does not and has never owned copyright to any part of Star Trek, they made the Kelvin Timeline movies for Paramount who owns the copyright to those movies. Also as far as I can tell NBC also never owned Copyright to any part of Star Trek, Desilu Productions/Studios (it was known by both names) owned the Copyright until it was bought by CBS (well it's more complex then that but the details aren't important).

Here we go again with the politics It's STAR TREK!!!! I love star trek, not who or what you think it belongs too because is not Logical to explain it like that just say Yes I agree, StarTrek made by Gene himself and he knows anything that's involved in his works can be acceptable. CBS is just a Studio it's not Gene at all.

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    7ed63902e1496ba9f976fde1bf30c433.jpg
    ^^^
    I really wish they'd negotiate with the Franz Joseph estate for the rights to be able to add this ship. I've loved it since I first got my Star Trek Technical Manual back in 1975. :)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    Here we go again with the politics It's STAR TREK!!!! I love star trek, not who or what you think it belongs too because is not Logical to explain it like that just say Yes I agree, StarTrek made by Gene himself and he knows anything that's involved in his works can be acceptable. CBS is just a Studio it's not Gene at all.

Cryptic cannot touch any ship designs from other game companies without negotiating with them, and probably giving them a cut of the profits. Cryptic CAN touch canon designs from the franchise that has been seen on screen.

Its not politics. Its legalities. Who owns what designs. It was rather painful to get the rights to use the Vesta design in game because, while it was accepted into canon, they still had to go through the guy who designed the Vesta originally.

Anyways... back on topic...

Cryptic cannot touch any ship designs from other game companies without negotiating with them, and probably giving them a cut of the profits. Cryptic CAN touch canon designs from the franchise that has been seen on screen.

Its not politics. Its legalities. Who owns what designs. It was rather painful to get the rights to use the Vesta design in game because, while it was accepted into canon, they still had to go through the guy who designed the Vesta originally.
    Cryptic has already been sued once because one their previous games sort of allowed you to replicate DC or Marvel superheroes (or at least that was the claim, also I can't remember which one of them sued but still), while ultimately Cryptic won that lawsuit, it isn't at all unreasonable to assume they'll be extra vary about copyright and would most certainly not outright break the law with the justification "it's Star Trek and one of our players wanted this ship", no company that's lasted as long as Cryptic is that stupid.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User

Cryptic has already been sued once because one their previous games sort of allowed you to replicate DC or Marvel superheroes (or at least that was the claim, also I can't remember which one of them sued but still), while ultimately Cryptic won that lawsuit, it isn't at all unreasonable to assume they'll be extra vary about copyright and would most certainly not outright break the law with the justification "it's Star Trek and one of our players wanted this ship", no company that's lasted as long as Cryptic is that stupid.

They were sued by Marvel...and eventually got a contract to create a MARVEL based Superhero MMO (it's the MMO that ultimately became Champions Online. MARVEL had teamed with Microsoft; and the reason in MARVEL version never got made was Microsoft pulled out after asking (in 2007):

"And this MMO will quickly get as many but hopefully more subscribers than Blizzard's World of Warcraft, right?"

And Cryptic answered honestly: "No...probably not."

So yeah, Microsoft pulled out because they saw no reason to be a part of something that wouldn't quickly rise to #1 in it's market because hey MS only backs winners...
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."

They were sued by Marvel...and eventually got a contract to create a MARVEL based Superhero MMO (it's the MMO that ultimately became Champions Online. MARVEL had teamed with Microsoft; and the reason in MARVEL version never got made was Microsoft pulled out after asking (in 2007):

"And this MMO will quickly get as many but hopefully more subscribers than Blizzard's World of Warcraft, right?"

And Cryptic answered honestly: "No...probably not."

So yeah, Microsoft pulled out because they saw no reason to be a part of something that wouldn't quickly rise to #1 in it's market because hey MS only backs winners...

All that is probably true but my main was that Cryptic was sued for a "those kind of look like our copyrighted material", so they wouldn't be as stupid as to willingly and intentionally break the copyright laws just because one of the STO players wanted a specific ship they didn't have the rights for.

That's the thing here politics have nothing to do with it, Cryptic must obey the laws if they want to stay operational.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    edited July 2020

Technically, Desilu has always had the copyright and the studio still has it to this day (they never sold it). What happened is that when Gulf+Western bought the studio from Lucille Ball (Desi Arnaz had already sold his part of the studio to her) they renamed it "Paramount Television Division" instead of keeping the name or reverting to the original name (RKO) and grouped it with Paramount Pictures. During the Viacom split the studio went to CBS and so they acquired the right by way of owning the studio the rights resided in. That is why so much of Star Trek has been filmed in the old RKO/Desilu/Paramount TV studio lot.
This discussion has been closed.