test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Curious about massive lag issues...

baloqbaloq Member Posts: 49 Arc User
...as in is anyone else having them?

I've been rubber-banding across the quadrant for days no. Sometimes it's so bad I have to just quit and come back later.

Are the servers just that overloaded? Have all of my fellow Klingons come out of hiding?

Any clues?

[I know, it sounds like a support question, but I'm just gauging the waters so to speak....]
The reputation system got nerfed to prevent "power creep"; it's called an investment in time and money, and I think I should get a little something for my time and money like being able to stomp the TRIBBLE out of a new guy since I've been playing for three years now! :D
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Server performance tends to be worse around new releases, and since this is the first weekend (not to mention a holiday) since this week's new release it may be many peoples first chance to play.

That said, human nature is such that people are more vocal when they are unhappy than when they are happy. They are more likely to feel the need to speak out about a problem than about things being good. So as that relates to you "gauging the waters", you aren't going to hear from all of the happy people who are in game playing so the feedback you do hear isn't necessarily going to be representative of reality.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    It's been extra bad on my end but is returning to its usual rubberbanding trek online. The patch may have had something to do with it, or a burst of players logging in who usually don't for the new stuff maybe.

Amazing this game keeps on going in its current state - if it didn't have the ST IP I bet it would have ceased to exist years ago.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
    so, i get your point, as many probably do, but dont sugar coat it mate.

Nothing I said was sugar coating; both points are 100% true.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited July 2020
    thats a sugar coat.

Wrong.

there have been many times the lag and banding have been egregious enough during non releases and updates as well.

I agree, and I never said otherwise.

Note that I said "worse". Worse implies there IS normally some lag, which is true. My point was that it's even worse around new releases, which is also true.

Don't try to twist what I said just to have something to disagree with.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited July 2020
    Just to be sure you understand my view: there is normally some degree of lag in this game which I find mildly annoying, though not enough to detract from my fun. Most of the time when I run TFOs and have NO noticeable lag at all. However at certain times (typically around new releases or holidays when more people are playing) it can be bad enough that it does detract from my fun.

The OP says he's been having issues "for days no"(w?) and asks if all of the Klingons have come out from hiding. This suggests he's seen worse(key word) issues since the YOK release this week. If so that matches my own experience and goes hand in hand with what I said about it being worse around new releases.

In no way do I disagree there is normally some degree of lag (though as stated it is normally not bad enough for me to really detract from my fun). And in no way do I disagree with wishing they could "fix" it.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Just to be sure you understand my view: there is normally some degree of lag in this game which I find mildly annoying, though not enough to detract from my fun. Most of the time when I run TFOs and have NO noticeable lag at all. However at certain times (typically around new releases or holidays when more people are playing) it can be bad enough that it does detract from my fun.

The OP says he's been having issues "for days no"(w?) and asks if all of the Klingons have come out from hiding. This suggests he's seen worse(key word) issues since the YOK release this week. If so that matches my own experience and goes hand in hand with what I said about it being worse around new releases.

In no way do I disagree there is normally some degree of lag (though as stated it is normally not bad enough for me to really detract from my fun). And in no way do I disagree with wishing they could "fix" it.

I agree with this... we have a lot of lag with releases, and also, when a massive amount of players are logged at certain hours... but it's not all the time, in my case, its kinda twicw a week.. it seems that by the time i play, there is less people logged in, so i can play lag free.. not always, but you get my point.. :smile:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    you can buy server stability via lootbox obviously.
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    you can buy server stability via lootbox obviously.

Something like that is becoming a troubling reality actually, there are services starting up now that tunnel through the CDNs or bypass them to avoid the latency problem Akami and a few others tend to cause. If the trend towards 'normal' internet optimizing for streaming content delivery continues long enough gamers could get bent over the service charge barrel by having to in effect pay extra for a "gaming connection".
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    grandnagus is right. There's always a performance hit around new content drops or seasonal events. Especially major ones.
    However as evidenced by the ongoing thread to gather data on potential bottlenecks, Cryptic is actually looking into how to improve connections to the server.
    Something like that is becoming a troubling reality actually, there are services starting up now that tunnel through the CDNs or bypass them to avoid the latency problem Akami and a few others tend to cause. If the trend towards 'normal' internet optimizing for streaming content delivery continues long enough gamers could get bent over the service charge barrel by having to in effect pay extra for a "gaming connection".

That honestly sounds shady to me. While I'm not liking Akami, I can understand what they're trying to do. They, and others like them, aren't really set up to figure out normal MMO traffic vs a DDoS attack. Until they can do that, we're kinda stuck as is right now.

But I don't like the idea of "buying" a "gaming connection" because it honestly sounds like a security risk. Not only that... how do you guarantee that that purchased "gaming connection" is actually being used for gaming and not malicious activity? Its comparable to having castle walls, and saying "Ok pay me gold and I'll let you use the back door." Won't matter who uses it as long as they pay. And if you take it far enough, they can pretty much control how your connection works even more than your ISP, and if you don't pay up... reduced to Dial Up speeds until you do.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    I have more lag around new releases for sure.. but the game is always laggy to some degree.

Lag and rubber banding are there constants, the only thing that changes is the severity. It's why I hardly play this game anymore, it's easier to just play a newer game with better visuals that performs better. I don't know if it's the servers, the code, or a combination of both, but STO is the most laggy game I have ever played bar none. It's playable for me, but still frustrating enough to keep me away most of the time.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    ESD, The Academy, and Sector Space are the only places I normally run into rubberbanding.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • baloqbaloq Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    Okay then, first off, let's play nice, okay?

I've been playing this game for 7 years now. I am well aware of increased lag issues when new content is released. I am well aware of the normal lag issues.

My question was simply asking if anyone else is experiencing what I would call especially egregious lag/banding issues above what one would normally encounter with new releases. Didn't expect a debate.

To me, the lag I am experiencing is worse than I have ever seen. If y'all are having the same issues then it's Cryptic and not my ISP.

Thanks for the input.
    The reputation system got nerfed to prevent "power creep"; it's called an investment in time and money, and I think I should get a little something for my time and money like being able to stomp the TRIBBLE out of a new guy since I've been playing for three years now! :D
  • ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Rubberbanding is my enemy. Done everything I can possibly do my side other than try using a different computer which is not possible.

1. Toggled Proxies EU/US/None
    2. Played with Graphic Settings/Performance options and damage floaters.
    3. Rolled back and updated drivers
    4. Upgraded my Broadband from standard to Superfast Fibre
    5. Uninstalled and reinstalled the game
    6. Tried using a different BB Provider Xmas day 2019 at a different address same PC
    7. Disabled my Anti-Virus and firewall
    8. Deleted my Windows partition and reinstalled
    9. Cursed a lot and almost rage quitted a number of times.
    10. Became 100% convinced its Cryptic software/hardware issues and the ISP they use and Akamai the security provider causing the problems.
    11. Contacted my BB supplier and had them check my connection and phone line

I don't know if Cryptic's ISP used Akamai pre-2017/18 but when PWE went about doing those huge ARC upgrades a couple years back my problems started not long after that.

I mean how can you go into the Dyson Battlezone that is older content than my PC and on average rubberband every 30-45 secs sometimes multiple times in a row
    Post edited by ussvaliant2#1952 on
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
    baloq wrote: »
    Okay then, first off, let's play nice, okay?

I've been playing this game for 7 years now. I am well aware of increased lag issues when new content is released. I am well aware of the normal lag issues.

My question was simply asking if anyone else is experiencing what I would call especially egregious lag/banding issues above what one would normally encounter with new releases. Didn't expect a debate.

To me, the lag I am experiencing is worse than I have ever seen. If y'all are having the same issues then it's Cryptic and not my ISP.

Thanks for the input.

Personally, I have experienced the same old lag I always do. The lag increase around the new release has been on par with the usual, and the daily lag has been the same. Not game breaking, I can play but it's annoying enough that I simply don't want to.

If you want to know if it's on your side, you might want to try other online games and see if you have a similar issue. You can also do speed tests and stuff to make sure you're getting the speeds you're paying for. I know that in my case it's 100% on STO but each case may vary.

Good luck!
    Well I downloaded DC Universe Online probably won't continue playing it as it's not the type of game I'm looking for but I wanted to test out my connection in a different game.

Having spent a couple of hours in their guess what? No lag/rubberbanding or server not responding.

Log back into Star Trek Online and went from Vet Dil NPC to SFA bank and boing rubberbanding.

Cryptic sort your TRIBBLE out before you start losing players. I'm not going to buy gamble boxes or overpay for items in Mudds market when the game is a total mess to play and the server or engine performance kills the fun
    Well I downloaded DC Universe Online probably won't continue playing it as it's not the type of game I'm looking for but I wanted to test out my connection in a different game.

Having spent a couple of hours in their guess what? No lag/rubberbanding or server not responding.

Log back into Star Trek Online and went from Vet Dil NPC to SFA bank and boing rubberbanding.

Cryptic sort your TRIBBLE out before you start losing players. I'm not going to buy gamble boxes or overpay for items in Mudds market when the game is a total mess to play and the server or engine performance kills the fun

I play several online games as well. Of all the games I play, STO is by far the lowest in system requirements and runs by far the worst. My experience has been the same as yours, I have a fantastic connection (which I way over pay for) and a nice gaming PC and STO still sometimes runs like I am trying to use a $400 Dell Laptop on Dial Up. :lol:

Ok, that last line is an exaggeration and more of a joke then anything. But the point is the same, like you the only online game I currently get constant lag and rubber banding in is STO. I won't say it never happens in other titles, that would not be true, but it's so rare that when it does occur it surprises me. In STO it just means.. I'm playing STO.

I play several online games as well. Of all the games I play, STO is by far the lowest in system requirements and runs by far the worst. My experience has been the same as yours, I have a fantastic connection (which I way over pay for) and a nice gaming PC and STO still sometimes runs like I am trying to use a $400 Dell Laptop on Dial Up. :lol:

Ok, that last line is an exaggeration and more of a joke then anything. But the point is the same, like you the only online game I currently get constant lag and rubber banding in is STO. I won't say it never happens in other titles, that would not be true, but it's so rare that when it does occur it surprises me. In STO it just means.. I'm playing STO.

Its so frustrating as the game has had me hooked for 9 years and I want to stay hooked but the performance issues are pushing me ever closer to the exit.

Its so frustrating as the game has had me hooked for 9 years and I want to stay hooked but the performance issues are pushing me ever closer to the exit.

Same boat here man.. still love the game, but it's frustrating for sure.
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    It wouldn't be Star Trek Online without the lag and rubberbanding. I've been playing this game since beta and it's always been that way. I personally blame the Brits. They always hog the bandwidth
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    its part of the end game content. did you not get the memo?

lol good one.
    I personally blame the Brits. They always hog the bandwidth

[img][/img]HCmfhrq.jpg

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User

bigger bandwidth hogs would be america, who voted net neutrality out on a federal level, and since america is significantly bigger than great britain, that means more hogs per capita​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Boy i wish i hadn't tried that diff mmo, everything from character selection to selecting Doff menu to loading up the inventory feels so slow now I'm logged back into STO
  • leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 5,331 Arc User

bigger bandwidth hogs would be america, who voted net neutrality out on a federal level, and since america is significantly bigger than great britain, that means more hogs per capita​​

Actually, some truth in this. As a UK player, you'd expect that lag would be very evident here. I play both the PC and XB1 versions and lag is RARELY an issue, rubberbanding is RARE. I see far worse on Phantasy Star Online 2 than STO.

It used to be really bad when Cogent was the antagonist on Cryptic's issues, and whilst I get the elevated ping at Akamai, it's not game-breaking, and rarely noticable. I'd say it's a good part the US's infrastructure and lack of net neutrality that's contributing to the issues.
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
This discussion has been closed.