test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Risian Science Vessel Discussion Thread

khaniris#5451 khaniris Member Posts: 34 Arc User
Personally I hope that the scale color palette and propulsion trail of the ship are as depicted in the final concept art piece, but I would love to hear everyone else's opinion on it.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Still disappointed that entry 3 didn't win, its style also seemed more consistent with the previous Risian ships, I'm going to have a hard time to want to bother to grind for the ship now.
  • khaniris#5451 khaniris Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    Wasn't entry 3 the one with the eco-dome on it? If so that's the one I voted for, but it was a hard choice to make. I'm honestly happy with any of them.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Wasn't entry 3 the one with the eco-dome on it? If so that's the one I voted for, but it was a hard choice to make. I'm honestly happy with any of them.

The one with the big eco dome was #2; #3 had 2 halfspheres on top; no glue if these are eco domes.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11419073-vote-for-the-summer-event-ship!

What design won?
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    I personally love that one, and just by looking at it's windows it's clearly a large ship.
  • zateron#9297 zateron Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Wasn't what I picked, but it looks quite nice. The ship has those extended side flaps which gives the impression it could hydrofoil on water like sea-ships. Very interesting. Very fitting for Risa.
    I agree.
    edited July 2020
    psiameese wrote: »

oO

You sure? Ok, stupid question.

Ew. Ironically the one I most laughed off :P

Maybe it feels different in game. And if it happen to have some kind of interior spa/pool/beach (rumors) thingy I really hope its at least compatible to the other Risa ships.

Edit: *staring at that ships underside*

Waaaaitaminute... did he drafted a beer-bottle opener into a Spaceship?!
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User

Ok, that's hip! I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Greatly agreed. I had a hard time choosing as well. All the designs were nice. That said, I am happy with what I see and am looking forward to it. Plus, I've always had a soft spot for science, especially as at least half my toons are sci! XD So I'll be looking forward to taking that for a spin as soon as I can.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    and again...posted on alternate means of media and not the forums or official site.
    i looked and found nothing. however, if i did miss it and it was posted officially as it was for the tweet and it is on the page somewhere, please advise.

This, exactly. I'm really tired of them posting important stuff on social media only, and ignoring the forums.

As far as the ship, I'm disappointed in the design, but I'm happy to have another Science Vessel. I liked #2 but I wasn't able to vote, like some others. The link was dead for me.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Huh...kinda like the final version. Considering I thought all of them were ugly as sin in the voting phase, this is a nice surprise.

Well, Hector did have to do a rough vision of each ship so that people could get an idea of what some of them looked like. Remember that after the first design stream where they were in the studio, they got the shelter in place order from their county, so designs 2, 3 and 4 all had to be done via paper and pen sketches. Most people went with #1 because that is the one the saw worked on the most.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    I admit I'm not really a fan of those strut pieces on the side. Almost makes it look like those are landing legs or something, and makes it look a bit more bug like. If those can be removed via ship tailor, it might have more of a submarine feel to it.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    If you look at the inside surface of the "legs" you can see the same detailing that is on the inside of the ring-drive warp units. They look a lot like the interrupted rings the Romulans use on the Surhuelh-class (though it would look better if they extended over the top side too like the Romulan version I think).

If they are indeed supposed to be warp drive ring segments it goes a long way towards the ship making sense.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited July 2020

and again...posted on alternate means of media and not the forums or official site.
    i looked and found nothing. however, if i did miss it and it was posted officially as it was for the tweet and it is on the page somewhere, please advise.

Twitter posts, facebook posts, all that is basically advertisement. To get players that aren't so interested in STO that they would follow the forums. Aimed particularly at lapsed players and potential new players.

The value to active players is actually .. practically non-existent. Because we can only do something about the ship when it's in game, and when it's getting there, they will make a post on the official website.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    That's an interesting design. I've seen uglier ships, though I've never really considered any ship to be hideious or so ugly I wouldn't give it a try if I could.

Did that with the Nautilus and glad I did. My main has a nice drain boat now.

Gonna give this a try before I say I don't like it. After all, the Summer Ship is the easiest one to 'grind' for. Not such a grind, for the flight usually only last for a few minutes, usually less than five.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    echatty wrote: »
    That's an interesting design. I've seen uglier ships, though I've never really considered any ship to be hideious or so ugly I wouldn't give it a try if I could.

Did that with the Nautilus and glad I did. My main has a nice drain boat now.

Gonna give this a try before I say I don't like it. After all, the Summer Ship is the easiest one to 'grind' for. Not such a grind, for the flight usually only last for a few minutes, usually less than five.

I did the same with the Sommerville. Hated the look (though I got it to a not quite so objectionable point in the ship tailor and the Reman shield visuals) but since I had it anyway from the charity thing I tried it and it turned out to be a nice enough ship that it is the regular ship of one of my captains now.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    to me, the Vengeance is the one that got beat up by an ugly stick.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    If you look at the inside surface of the "legs" you can see the same detailing that is on the inside of the ring-drive warp units. They look a lot like the interrupted rings the Romulans use on the Surhuelh-class (though it would look better if they extended over the top side too like the Romulan version I think).

If they are indeed supposed to be warp drive ring segments it goes a long way towards the ship making sense.

I'm on the fence on that detail, as it kinda doesn't match other Risian designs in game. The Cruiser and Corvette make use of nacelles. And I don't think they're warp rings on the Romulan sci ship. Looks more like some kind of singularity containment thing. Just happens to look like the D'Kyr Warp Ring. And... why have 4 in that kind of configuration?
    Eh... guess we'll just have to find out when she is released.

Perhaps, but she does follow typical Federation configuration of Saucer, Secondary Hull, Nacelles.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    And if you see one of them in the Counterattack Phase in the Badlands BZ just know you won't get better than a Tier II Reward. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited July 2020
    rattler2 wrote: »

I'm on the fence on that detail, as it kinda doesn't match other Risian designs in game. The Cruiser and Corvette make use of nacelles. And I don't think they're warp rings on the Romulan sci ship. Looks more like some kind of singularity containment thing. Just happens to look like the D'Kyr Warp Ring. And... why have 4 in that kind of configuration?
    Eh... guess we'll just have to find out when she is released.

True, it might not be the warp drives, but it would be a nice touch if they are, and they could have easily had a Vulcan (or with the Alliance a Romulan) on the design team for their newest ship class.

The Romulan ring-drive ships mention in the description that they use Vulcan technology and the inner surface of the rings do have the same details, and they completely lack the warp pods that most of the non-ring Romulan ships have so odds are they are a modified version of the D'Kyr style drives. Projecting a singularity into the middle of the ring could give some kind of efficiency or speed advantage, or the warp field could help mask the singularity or some other bit of technobabble could be at work.

Personally, I have always had a problem with designers hanging junk on ships and whatnot without any thought as to what it could be, just that it "looks cool". It might be that I have a lot of engineers in my family so I was used to looking at things from a practicality standpoint early on and questioning things that are inconsistent with the functionality, even fictional things when they have an established fictional technology.

As to why they would have two interrupted rings like that, it could be like the single-nacelle ships. People kept pointing out that single-nacelle ships were often shown on screens in the background (the Saladin-class ships from Franz Joseph) and that the official rules for Star Trek ship design specified that there had to be two warp fields interacting so necessitating two nacelles were obviously not being followed in canon. The official reply to that was that the single nacelle housed two warp drive units in an inline configuration with a single bussard on the front to scoop fuel.

Those interrupted rings (if that is what they are) could be doing the same thing, or they could be using a phasing trick to generate a kind of virtual complete ring between them or something. Like you said though, there is no way to be sure until they unveil the finished ship (if even then).

Ouch, yeah. Thats one nasty perversion of Starfleet design.

Hmm... There is something to that summer ship. The more I look at it the more it grows on me.

... probably just because the Vengeance got brought up; no ship deserves that comparison :D
    Frankly I think the Federation class looks better than the Vengeance, and that is one of Franz Joseph's iffier designs.
    Frankly I think the Federation class looks better than the Vengeance, and that is one of Franz Joseph's iffier designs.

star%20trek%20dreadnought_205782.jpg

?

It sure looks better then the Veng but... I'm glad Cryptic had chosen a unique design for the TOS dread than a Constitution with a third warp nacelle added to the saucer.

1316b2e8c8d4cc684d76794bfe193eda1484704935.png
    Both look cool in my opinion, but if I were to choose one it would be the Atlas Class as well.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Twitter posts, facebook posts, all that is basically advertisement. To get players that aren't so interested in STO that they would follow the forums. Aimed particularly at lapsed players and potential new players.

Hmm. When I'm in one of my "off" periods (i.e, a "lapsed player"), I keep an eye on the forums for any news of things that would bring me back. Because where else would I look for the most 'official' news about a game, than it's official forum?

I've never read twitter or facebook.
This discussion has been closed.