test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

With the In-Game Calendar Gone How Do I See Which Events Are Active?

ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
Question in the title. I understand why they removed the calendar, that's not what this is about, but how do I in-game see what event(s) are currently running, dil week, X alert, ect. No I'm not going to root around on 2934 different subforums or alternate platforms to find out and the 'News* section is pardon the expression, a hot mess and confusing as *** so if anything is announced there I'd be lucky to spot it.
Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Answers

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    I feel your pain.
    Best case scenario would be if the devs were posting updates here on the official forum and arc launcher at the same time.
    This is not the best case scenario though and communication is often dumped at twitter, FB or reddit
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/StarTrekOnlineGame
    https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/

Really if the devs want to use those to communicate instead of the official STO forum then they should add links to said twitter/FB on the Arc/Steam launchers.

Edit: Just noticed there are links on the arc launcher. Hidden in plain sight.
    Post edited by questerius on
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    Like apparently there was Tholian Red Alert this weekend, which I missed because there was no announcement inside the game that I could see. So where do I find an announcement of running events in the game? Event tab only have Seasonal (greyed out) and Current Event Campaign, where the latest event just ended so nothing is active. I don't have a twitter and never go there and considering what the STO subreddit have turned into I'd rather jump into actual lava than go there, besides, neither of those places are in-game.
    questerius wrote: »
    I feel your pain.
    Best case scenario would be if the devs were posting updates here on the official forum and arc launcher at the same time.
    This is not the best case scenario though and communication is often dumped at twitter, FB or reddit
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/StarTrekOnlineGame
    https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/

Really if the devs want to use those to communicate instead of the official STO forum then they should add links to said twitter/FB on the Arc/Steam launchers.

Heh, we just cross posted but as I said I don't have a twitter, I don't have an fb either and never plan on getting either, I'm data mined enough as it is. And the STO subreddit is an absolute **** no from me, considering how it is run (or not run) by the mods right now.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I don't know why they don't use that four-part box we see when we first get logged in. Surely, one quarter of that box could be used to note current Event.

I assume you were never in Sector Space to see tha blinking red button?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    We don't have to join either FB or twitter to read the posts.
    Going from the arc launcher it is possible to go directly to the FB or twitter locations.

The arc launcher does not show if there is a recent update on FB or twitter so the only way to find out is by visiting those.

The info portrayed on the launcher is also quite clumsy and often slow to update. Just show 4 small footnotes instead of one medium sized picture with 3 other pages hidden behind it.

Edit: or link to FB/twitter updates from the news section in the arc launcher.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    But regardless of whether we can go dig through posts on social garbage sites, it was nice to be able to see in-game that the current event ran for two more days, and ended at a listed hour. Which frequently didn't match what was posted in the various news sources.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,213 Arc User
    If anything the official blog and social media is less reliable than the calendar.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    to add with the other poster. i dont have FB, etc...i dont have any social media accounts.
    i also dont use the arc launcher as i use the sto exe one instead.
    i am with the OP...there should be something more akin to the calendar for fast references to events going on in the galaxy.
    we shouldnt be forced to find details on other platforms when this is the "official" site for the game.

are there any plans to create a new calendar to replace the one removed?

Not much to add here. The calendar removal without any kind of replacement ingame was not a good idea.
  • c0nsic0nsi Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    I doubt there will be a replacement for the calendar. It's seems already to much work to copy the information over the official site from twitter/reddit... thats something that has been done by (some awesome) USERS. So adding a replacement would just mean some additional work. It sooo much easier to just post wherever they 'feel' that day and let the users figure it out by themselfs.
    It's super frustrating, but they don't seem to care.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    "Use the Force, Luke."
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    "Use the Force, Luke."

offensive.jpg?w=300

With luck we'll be seeing a few more announcements on that welcome window we see every time we log in. You know... the one that was only supposed to pop up for the first character you load and not EVERY character? ;)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    questerius wrote: »
    We don't have to join either FB or twitter to read the posts.
    Going from the arc launcher it is possible to go directly to the FB or twitter locations.

The arc launcher does not show if there is a recent update on FB or twitter so the only way to find out is by visiting those.

The info portrayed on the launcher is also quite clumsy and often slow to update. Just show 4 small footnotes instead of one medium sized picture with 3 other pages hidden behind it.

Edit: or link to FB/twitter updates from the news section in the arc launcher.

FB and twitter starts datamining you just going to their site, you don't have to have an account or the app. And as I said, I'm getting datamined enough as it is, which is why I refuse to use them.
    ltminns wrote: »
    I don't know why they don't use that four-part box we see when we first get logged in. Surely, one quarter of that box could be used to note current Event.

That was what I was wondering. I rarely pay much attention to it as it never holds information interesting to me but with the calendar removal I did hoping they'd use that as an announcement platform. I'm not asking them to announce stuff in game in advance, I'm asking that they put what events are live somewhere in game. That opening splash screen seems like a good place but I don't much care where they put it, just that it's there and consistent so I know where to go.
  • alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    I assume you were never in Sector Space to see the blinking red button?

I haven't seen one of the red alert red buttons in months. And I have been in Sector Space during that time.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Did your Low Priority Notices get accidentally hidden, or dragged sort of off screen, or covered over by another box?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns

@ltminns No I wasn't actually. Also this wouldn't help with events like double dil/marks/ect, nor Junior Officer event.

And let me reiterate I'm not asking for things to be announced weeks in advance in game, I can see the difficulty there. I'm asking for in-game notification for an ongoing event. I can't think of another MMO who doesn't have that, even the TRIBBLE mobile games I play has it. The fact that STO no longer has that is just mindboggling, straight up.
This discussion has been closed.