test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Comments

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Wow, you'd think they'd go with something that looks good and not that gangly kitbashesque mess. What an ugly monster (IMO - YMMV).
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • darthoricidarthorici Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    lets hope the devs stay a way from that ship
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    So...Star trek Family guy taking aim at the Superior Orville?
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    burstorion wrote: »

I don't think so, since fundamentally, they have completely different premesis.

The Orville is basically just a "Star Trek With Some Jokes", and plays it very straight, it's very much got the typical hero types and adventures.

The idea behind Lower Decks, as was mentioned before, is "the least important ship and the least important crew on that ship". Whatever THAT entails is going to be incredibly different from not just what The Orville does, but most other Star Treks in general.

........ also, the people behind Lower Decks worked on "Rick & Morty" and seem to be emulating that animation style most, don't conflate it with Family Guy for flippancy's sake.

darthorici wrote: »
    lets hope the devs stay a way from that ship

Look, if they can give us a Kobayashi Maru-type freighter ship, they'll dunk a California-class on us in a hearbeat, haha.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    ;) April Fool's Day for 2021 is gonna be such fun! Not only will we get the return of the Artisanal Sonofication System. But everyone's starship gets replaced with this one.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    burstorion wrote: »

The drawing style and facial animation style make it clear that it is not a Fuzzy Door production so the humor is likely quite different since the writers would not be the same as "Family Guy". That style looks familiar though I cannot place it at the moment, along with the point-out-the-obvious arrow thing (the arrow is not a good sign, it is more of younger children's show convention than anything else, hopefully the writers did not come from the same genre background).

Still, the hype about the show is more "general audience" so the question becomes whether, despite the silly look of the drawings, they managed to balance the comedy and dramatic plot anywhere near as well as Orville.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited July 2020
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    The idea behind Lower Decks, as was mentioned before, is "the least important ship and the least important crew on that ship".

Reminds me a bit of an episode of Babylon 5, where they just followed a couple janitors around while things were going on around them. Was rather funny.

As for the ship design... looks like something that could have been designed before Wolf 359.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    The idea behind Lower Decks, as was mentioned before, is "the least important ship and the least important crew on that ship".

Reminds me a bit of an episode of Babylon 5, where they just followed a couple janitors around while things were going on around them. Was rather funny.

As for the ship design... looks like something that could have been designed before Wolf 359.

The "least important ship" sounds a bit like the old Quark show from the late 1970s (the hero ship was a garbage scow that often ran into trouble), which was a decent comedy back then which mainly spoofed Star Trek and Star Wars. The "least important crew" sounds a bit like the start of Red Dwarf before the accident. If it is like a mix of the two older shows in comedy style it might actually work out well enough, though I doubt it will be that mix of styles.
    edited July 2020
    The drawing style and facial animation style make it clear that it is not a Fuzzy Door production so the humor is likely quite different since the writers would not be the same as "Family Guy". That style looks familiar though I cannot place it at the moment,

The showrunners, I believe, are two writers who worked on "Rock & Morty", and the animation is highly reminiscent of that show.
    along with the point-out-the-obvious arrow thing (the arrow is not a good sign, it is more of younger children's show convention than anything else, hopefully the writers did not come from the same genre background).

I suspect the arrow is pointing out WHERE precisely the main characters bunk on the ship, what would be considered the "Lower Decks" as it were. There's an animated version of the poster itself that, in addition to the arrow highlighting that area, there's also a very small red box that pops up specifically at the very, very end of the ship.

And again, the showrunners are writers from "Rick & Morty". I did actually mention this in my previous posting, lol.
    edited July 2020
    The drawing style and facial animation style make it clear that it is not a Fuzzy Door production so the humor is likely quite different since the writers would not be the same as "Family Guy". That style looks familiar though I cannot place it at the moment,

I mentioned this before in my post, but the showrunners are writers who worked on "Rick & Morty" previously, and I believe the animation is highly reminiscent of that show's style.
    along with the point-out-the-obvious arrow thing (the arrow is not a good sign, it is more of younger children's show convention than anything else, hopefully the writers did not come from the same genre background).

The arrow is more than likely pointing out where the main cast bunks on the ship, what would probably be considered the "Lower Decks" as it were. The animated version of the poster itself has the arrow bolstered by a small red box that highlights a very small portion of that section.

This show is most definitely not going to be aimed at younger audiences, to be frank. But coincidentally, an actual younger audience-appropriate Star Trek animated show is currently being developed to air on Nickleodeon.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    So does that thing have a shuttle service to go between the engineering/deflector section and the main saucer? My inner nerd is crying at the potential Nacelle assembly if people are actually supposed to travel between the sections internally.

I don't even want to think about the stress impulse would put on the SIFs..
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    Urgh its a 24th century oberth.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
    edited July 2020
    szerontzur wrote: »
    So does that thing have a shuttle service to go between the engineering/deflector section and the main saucer? My inner nerd is crying at the potential Nacelle assembly if people are actually supposed to travel between the sections internally.

I don't even want to think about the stress impulse would put on the SIFs..

The design of the ship seems functional enough. Assuming the disk is three decks high at the rim like the "window" lights suggest the struts would be thick enough to accommodate turbolifts even instead of just the crawlspaces the NX had leading to the highly automated module it had.

It has the ugly, busy art deco look that many of the later shows ships have instead of the smooth organic googie look of Jefferies designs, but it is not any worse than most of the other CBS designs, and unlike a lot of them it does look somewhat practical if you ignore thrust balance.

Come to think of it, it looks vaguely like one of the ships that was in the background of TAS with that of boxkite like arraignment of the bridged nacelles.

As for the SIF aspect, the impulse drives got retconned into field effect drives ("gravity impulse" according to TNG) and have not been matter-antimatter emergency rockets since TAS ended, so there would not be much (if any) stress on the struts from the impulse drive. In fact, if it was a thrust system that ship and many of the others from TNG on would not go anywhere, just spin in place like a toy rocket engine stuck on toy car or whatever without attention paid to the thrust angle and center of mass.
  • c0nsic0nsi Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    Potential names: U.S.S. Theystoleourmiddlesection or U.S.S. Weranoutofparts *hmm*
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Based upon another Thread, was it too hard to draw the connectors from main engineering to the saucer section?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I wonder if this will be reminiscent of the ol' novel I read several years back called "Red Shirts"...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirts_(novel)

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • stocostumes#8412 stocostumes Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Just gonna leave this here:

https://imgur.com/a/1M7fbnt

:)
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    Just gonna leave this here:

I love it!
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
    I have a feeling that everything is in the saucer. Its gonna be a little bit like the Steamrunner in that the housing for the main deflector is kinda taken up by the main deflector itself.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    How do you get to it if you need to repair something in the Assembly?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Probably the same way you access the warp coils. There is a passage in the pylons. Either that, or they have a workbee or two specifically equipped to handle repairs.
    ltminns wrote: »
    How do you get to it if you need to repair something in the Assembly?

Probably take a turbolift there since the struts are more than thick enough to pass one, in fact the reason for two verticals on each side is probably so they can have a shaft separated from the plasma flows by a more than safe distance.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    It looks more like a service-vessel or utility-craft of some kind. You know, the ship that gets dispatched when some other ship has a major engine-outage that can't be repaired on the fly.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    I could see this ship as a supply ship with the negative space between the saucer and deflector as a docking point for a cargo pod.

EDIT:after all you don't send a GCS on routine supply run for remote colony or starbase.
    So Turbolift down a strut, travel along a Warp Nacelle, cross another strut into the Deflector section. God help that Deflector if one of the Nacelles is blown off during combat.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    So Turbolift down a strut, travel along a Warp Nacelle, cross another strut into the Deflector section. God help that Deflector if one of the Nacelles is blown off during combat.

This is probably is not a frontline ship, so it's probably screwed in combat anyway.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    See that's what you get if a Galaxy class and Oberth class fall in love and make babies
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    This is what happens when actually plausible Star Trek configurations are all already taken, but you still want a new Star Trek ship. But who am I to deny people an interstellar hang glider if they want one?
    Well our Kobayashi can take a beating and keep on ticking. :)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.