test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Visual Revamp of Original 2409 STO Fed Ship Designs

Yes, those (mostly) ugly ships that look way out of place compared to the newer ships since the 2010 release of STO.

I actually like the utility vibe about them, something that the people behind Picard's art seemed to implement when Riker and the fleet warped in. It's definitely futuristic, and fitting for the escalating conflict across the Alpha and Beta Quadrants prior to and during the start of the 25th century.

But again, they look extremely dated, with the designs ultimately looking boring in comparison to newer ships, some completely looking incompatible when mashing variant designs together with various clipping issues. Some of these ship classes also don't even have newer variants (such as the Star Cruiser class).

Would anyone else like to see the visuals get revamped/redesigned to fit the current state of the game's art? Is there a reason why after 10 long years they have not been touched?

Comments

• Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,464 Arc User
    The reason they have not been touched is because of the amount of man hours that would have to be devoted to that project since they have to do a cost/benefit analysis on every decision that they make as a company. In the future, whenever it is, the goal would be to have those all visually revamped but it is a lot of work involved. So for now some of those from 2409 are being revamped but not all yet. Just continue to wait and maybe you can chime on a Ten Forward Weekly on Twitch if your schedule allows since I think there is one today.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    mrlostsoul#1950 mrlostsoul Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    I LOVE canon ships of STO. The words, "touch up" or "revamp", worries me, it reminds me too much of, "reboot." Please just add more customization in the star ship tailor, so the old guard can keep their traditional star ship designs. While those who want something new can get what they want.