test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

🔥🔥🔥 "The Year of Klingon" 🔥🔥🔥

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Klingons live longer as well. DS9, Arne Darvin, Kor, Kokoth, and Kang. They gray.

Kor was getting Senile as well (before his death anyway).
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    i don't see klingons living longer than humans, given their culture - humans in star trek have an average lifespan of 200 years or so, because of federation advancements in medicine and pharmaceuticals - something the klingons spit on, plus adding on the whole warrior thing, so even with redundant organs, i just can't see the average klingon living longer than the average human - maybe AS long if they're lucky, but not longer​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • nievesnieves Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Still waiting on STO to prove it's the "Year of the Klingon." We've had some pictures on social media, and the two ship bundles presented us are not only NOT Klingon, but also hugely overpriced. Been playing since Beta, STO, and I am not impressed by your shenanigans. Do the KDF some justice, for once, and stop concentrating on other junk. If words were water the STO dev team would drown us.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    nieves wrote: »
    Still waiting on STO to prove it's the "Year of the Klingon." We've had some pictures on social media, and the two ship bundles presented us are not only NOT Klingon, but also hugely overpriced. Been playing since Beta, STO, and I am not impressed by your shenanigans. Do the KDF some justice, for once, and stop concentrating on other junk. If words were water the STO dev team would drown us.

The fact that they're going through and touching up various pieces of Klingon stuff isn't enough for you?

They've touched up whole maps, whole episodes, NPCs, Player character hairs, ships... not to mention that tomorrow they bring out 2 new episodes, a TFO and 3 patrols that are heavy on Klingon presence. This is only part one too.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    Well feds have a boat load of legendaries, Roms just got thiers. It's pretty logical to assume that a Klingon legendary will appear so what do we want, D7 or B'rel?

I'm on the fence, a B'rel legendary would just be a legendary T'liss clone but is extremely iconic. A D7 would mean we'd finaly get one for zen rather than lockbox which is out of reach to most casual players.

Um...why not BOTH? ;) (Hey it IS supposed to be a ship bundle - and yeah I know the RR bundle was one ship; but that doesn't mean the KDF bundle needs to be only one ship.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    Well feds have a boat load of legendaries, Roms just got thiers. It's pretty logical to assume that a Klingon legendary will appear so what do we want, D7 or B'rel?

I'm on the fence, a B'rel legendary would just be a legendary T'liss clone but is extremely iconic. A D7 would mean we'd finaly get one for zen rather than lockbox which is out of reach to most casual players.

Um...why not BOTH? ;) (Hey it IS supposed to be a ship bundle - and yeah I know the RR bundle was one ship; but that doesn't mean the KDF bundle needs to be only one ship.)

Yeah, there is 1 simple reason why the Romulan bundle was only 1 ship: because they had not recently updated the textures/models of other Romulan ships (like they did to all of the ships they included in the Fed bundle). If they had done that, then obviously they would have loved to throw those ships in the bundle and charge even more.

The fact that they have updated several Klingon ships recently means they will obviously be putting all of those in the KDF legendary bundle.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    I wonder what class that thing is going to be, it has enough differences from the others to be its own. Whoever designed it for the movie certainly got the Russian-esque vibe down right from the old cold-war analogy TOS has.
    Here are the most specific details we have gotten so far about the YOK updates (part 1):

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11469723

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • athan#5519 athan Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Can we get more human colors on Orions? I get they are a different species, but some of their outfits are pretty cool. Also if we could use capes on Orions that would be awesome. Or just make their outfits part of the KDF uniform set.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    *whimpers in anticipation of tomorrow's remastered starships* <3
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
    Can we get more human colors on Orions? I get they are a different species, but some of their outfits are pretty cool. Also if we could use capes on Orions that would be awesome. Or just make their outfits part of the KDF uniform set.

We've pretty much never seen Orions that aren't clearly green skinned in the live action series, the exact shade of green or how vivid the color is varies but it's always been green in live action and IIRC not even in TAS were there intentionally human shaded Orions IIRC.

NOTE:I don't count that one Orion altered to look like an Andorian here simply due that not being his natural appearance.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Something went wrong in Star Trek when the Klingons suddenly painted all their ships green like the Romulans. I really dig the gray and reds on the models.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • spacecatz#6038 spacecatz Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    Ugh, of course they will put the klingorc above the more recent Klingon characters in the timeline on the forum art.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    Ugh, of course they will put the klingorc above the more recent Klingon characters in the timeline on the forum art.

What? I like the TMP era Klingons. ;) (Let's face it - the ORIGINAL Klingons ARE the Human versions of Kor, Kang and Koloth from TOS - It WAS TMP that turned them into fanged animals/ Orcs in the first place).
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."

Don't be petty; the picture is designed that way because she is the villain/focus of the story. Maybe give the free new content a try and see if it was worth the price :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator

Guess what dude. The only "more recent" Klingon in that pic is Martok. The other one is Akaar.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited June 2020

We've pretty much never seen Orions that aren't clearly green skinned in the live action series, the exact shade of green or how vivid the color is varies but it's always been green in live action and IIRC not even in TAS were there intentionally human shaded Orions IIRC.

NOTE:I don't count that one Orion altered to look like an Andorian here simply due that not being his natural appearance.

The ST:TAS Orions were blue-skinned.

https://i0.wp.com/www.tor.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Trek-Pirate03.jpg?resize=630,469&amp;type=vertical

As for human coloured Orions, I've seen plenty of them in game.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    I thought the B'Rel got remastered? I'm using my T6 B'Rel in Ship Tailor and all options still are the old models, textures. I checked on a character with the T6 B'Rel and another character with the T6 Fleet B'Rel, neither have options to use the remastered skins.

Edit: I had a character reclaim the B'Rotlh BOP for Lieutenant, and that version can use the Bird of Prey skin that the T6 version can't.

The Vor'Cha and Negh'Var remaster skins do work.
    Post edited by warmaker001b on
    XzRTofz.gif
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    I thought the B'Rel got remastered? I'm using my T6 B'Rel in Ship Tailor and all options still are the old models, textures.

I noticed that too. The B'Rel DID get remastered - I have the T5 retrofit from ages ago, and its model has been updated - but apparently the Kor did not.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
    edited June 2020

There are source material things that would support that idea. For instance Orions started out with two skin colors in The Cage, the big green ones like Vina was playing (they had Susan Oliver standing on a box to make her appear taller in the face-to-face part of the scene) in the Orion sequence and the smaller wiry type with a more Terran skin color as the merchants. In TOS, "Thelev" the Orion agent posing as an Andorian, was obviously one of the wiry ones and not one of the big hulking green males.

The animated series added Orions with distinctly bluish-gray skin and a large blocky build very similar to the male greens shown in ENT. And lastly, the movies show both the green skinned type and at least once (in ST5) they show one of the wiry Terran-looking ones (they guy with the makeshift gun who was Sybok's first on-screen recruit) who is identified as Orion in the script and the novelization.

The problem is that ENT never showed the other two types, just the greens, and CBS seems to have taken that as a sort of retcon and only appears to recognize the greens as Orions now. STO probably could not get clearance to have the Orions as anything but green if they were to ask about it. On the other hand, the shades available include some that are so light that you can hardly see the green.

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I wouldn't give TAS much credit honestly as the guy doing the coloring was somewhat colorblind apparently, hence the pink Klingon uniforms.
    Some Beta canon stuff does cite that Orions also have orange skin tones, but Alpha Canon really only shows Green.
    As for the guy in ST5... he's never identified as an Orion. I just figured he was a human scavenger living on Nimbus III. And the fake Andorian... well... cosmetic disguises still work.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    I must say they did manage to make the characters played by returing actors (who played different characters) look different enough from those previous characters Adep'ta doesn't look or sound like Landry in klingon make up and Akaar doesn't sound or act like Gowron in DSC make up (though there's some similar quirks there, you can justify those as Akaar being a relative of Gowron's)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Be wary. The last time there was a Thread about Orions should be Green back in October 2015 many people ended up banned and warned.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • sableshadow888sableshadow888 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    My Temporal D7 is now missing neck, head, and nacelles.
    Looks very weird.
    I filled in a bug report, please fix.
    edited June 2020
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't give TAS much credit honestly as the guy doing the coloring was somewhat colorblind apparently, hence the pink Klingon uniforms.
    Some Beta canon stuff does cite that Orions also have orange skin tones, but Alpha Canon really only shows Green.
    As for the guy in ST5... he's never identified as an Orion. I just figured he was a human scavenger living on Nimbus III. And the fake Andorian... well... cosmetic disguises still work.

True, the TAS art director was colorblind which led to a few color gaffs, but on the other hand, intentional or not it does fit the rest of it well enough. For instance Thelev could have been someone with the wiry build of the non-green Orions in The Cage and the blueish-gray skin tone of the TAS Orions who had the blue artificially enhanced and the gray deemphasized (and a truckload of hair bleach) along with simple implants to make his chin pointier, possibly cheek bones higher, and anchor the base of the artificial antennae.

Bones did specifically say "surgically altered" not whatever space magic they use in later shows to produce radical changes like the
    Ash Tyler/Voq
    switch. And at least in theory if it was too big and expensive of a change they would probably have gone with an actual Andorian turned to their service instead of an Orion undercover agent (the Syndicate is a for-profit organization and so would keep maximizing ROI in mind).

As for ST5, they do not mention his race in live dialog, but they certainly do in both the script description of the character and the novelization. The same is true of the "Orion trader" in The Cage though it may have gotten retconned away from that by now along with the rest.

By beta canon I take it you mean the "Ruddy" Orions in FASA? Those were actually a just formalization of the ones from the live action stuff I already mentioned. Where FASA diverged from the source materials was that their interpretation of the gray Orions differed (very) significantly from the TAS ones, not their depiction of the other two.

In fact, FASA'S geisha-like presentation of of the "green animal women" as a tactic where the dancers were actually a sort of partner in the sales process by distracting the client to give the merchant an advantage in negotiation fits the scene in The Cage quite well (that kind of distraction ploy was a real technique back in the ancient middle east). It is kind of like the "Gypsy fortune teller" schtick in a way too, using a cultural myth (in the Orion's case the "primal/animal" part) and acting skills to make money, (indirectly in the dancer's case).

ENT took the notion further and put the "slave" women as the ones in actual charge of the operations (and society for that matter).

This discussion has been closed.