test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Being harassed and bullied, still not getting help

Hello,

So a while ago I posted a thread about me being harassed and bullied, while not getting any help. You can view it here..
https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1253865/being-harassed-and-bullied-not-getting-help

To this day the player in question.. Continues to bully and harass me, putting them on ignore does not help. Yes it does block their messages, and any messages they post in channels such as ‘Zone’ and ‘Local’, it also prevents them from trying to form a team with me or send me friend requests.

But like mentioned in the earlier thread, it does not stop them from physically finding me on maps and instances. If I am on a map, they will find me. If I switch instance, they will find me.

They will continue to use clicky powers on me, which always results in sounds and visual effects. This gets tiresome very quickly, they also use shapeshifting abilities such as holograms and so forth in order to transform into other beings or characters. In order to change their character to have a large hitbox than normal, in order to push my character around, trap me, push me off ledges etc.

Videos and screenshots in reports submitted through tickets do not help, trying to ignore them completely despite the clicky powers and being shoved around does not help. They were a member of the Starfleet Dental fleet for a while, which has been a premier trolling fleet in Star Trek Online for quite a while and a thorn in the side of the community.

I suspect they have a load of friends, equipped with channels or Discord or something. Maybe even the fleet are keeping an eye out for me, I don’t know. Because no matter what map or instance I go, they always seem to show up.

I’ve tried ignoring them..
I’ve tried getting help from forum moderators..
I’ve submitted countless reports through the ticket system..

I am on the verge of quitting the game completely cause of this one person, they obviously have no life. Because I work a full-time job with different hours. So I am not on during the same time every day, some days I’m not online at all.. But when I go online, they usually come.. Everytime.

I’ve been tempted to make a new account with a new handle, but it would cost too much.. Both in money and time invested. I don’t know what to do, I am not getting help. I’ve tried outright just ignoring them, but those clicky powers and being shoved around is quickly getting on my nerves.

Comments

• jr20mb13jr20mb13 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    I had to deal with this a while back. All I ended up doing is signing on and walking away from my computer. I spend an afternoon just standing there, just moving enough to keep me from being signed out. I had to do it two days, the person eventually just got bored since i wasnt responding in any way. Maybe give that a whirl.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    For what it's worth, I tweeted this thread to Kael.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    Can you PM me the details, like the support ticket number?
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    No offense maybe you need to get a thicker skin. Sometimes the best way to deal with a bully is to fight fire with fire.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    I support your claim and I think you should find some joy in STO, not being the victim of aggressive constant griefing+trolling.

If you're looking for a fleet, I got you on both FED and KDF sides. Just write me in private here or ingame. @casualsto.

I do agree that you usually have to fight fire with fire. I also have a suspicion on from which unmentioned, extremely popular fleet these people may be. If you usually strike back hard enough, they'd be lining up to report you with their half-broken, hanging out feelings. But even if you're not a verbal savage, you should still enjoy the game, ignore them and come over to our side.

Let me know if I can help you out in any way.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    No offense maybe you need to get a thicker skin. Sometimes the best way to deal with a bully is to fight fire with fire.

Not good advice since it could resort in the bully submitting a report and the victim getting chat banned, or worse, for taking such action.

We need to think of a solution and forward this towards STO staff. I've seen this bully-mass-report tactics in place multiple times. But meanwhile, let's help our friend here in overcoming this community problem.
  • gsundered11gsundered11 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    I've a solution. If supporting evidence is found - perma ban the individuals involved, perma ban the fleet officers, disband the fleet and widely publicise the action taken. Fight fire with napalm.
    I've a solution. If supporting evidence is found - perma ban the individuals involved, perma ban the fleet officers, disband the fleet and widely publicise the action taken. Fight fire with napalm.

While that can be quite extreme, I wouldn't advise on perma-banning or fleet dissolving, since this punishment might have an effect on innocent people who are also in that fleet.

But a one month period probation and the deletion of any previous or current posts regarding fleet recruitment during this month should do it.

Also, since this is a public griefing issue, they should apologize in this topic, to make it public or get a permaban if they refuse so. This way, we give a chance for settling the dispute, we punish the fleet without hurting other innocent users and if the other sides are refusing to end their behavior or apologize publicly, the permaban is the last clean-cut solution.

I'm also looking on snowwolf's opinion on this as well as others, including staff.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    @snowwolf#0563
    I'm sorry to hear that you still have to deal with this situation.

Kind of surprised that the other person can track you down so easily.
    Do you have that person on a friend list or perhaps you are on a friend list for that person.
    if it is the latter, should blocking a person not also automatically remove you from the friend list?
    Perhaps a dev/moderator/someone from support can clarify this.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    You can, through the STO options, set your visibility to only show to friends. As long as the player isn't on your friends list, they will not be able to see you even if they are in the same instance and standing right next to you.

How a person deals with harassment is very individual. I have had a few people a few choice homophobic slurs when running TFO's with my pink and blue D7. It doesn't bother me though, but I'm guessing that's because I am not LGBTQ. I still block those people though. STO is way more fun when you don't have to deal with people assuming things about you based on the colors you choose from the ship color palette.

Edit: Okay. I managed to find it. It is under the Social (old MSN icon looking button / above the Settings and below the Mail), go to Team Settings, Privacy, and you will see the drop down for, Search Visibility. If you change it to Anonymous, then your Player Name will not show up on the map or player search function, but you will show to your fleet. Make sure this player is not a part of your fleet or has an association or alt account within your fleet.
    Post edited by jcsww on
  • wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    > @snowwolf#0563 said:
    > Hello,
    >
    > So a while ago I posted a thread about me being harassed and bullied, while not getting any help. You can view it here..
    > https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1253865/being-harassed-and-bullied-not-getting-help
    >
    > To this day the player in question.. Continues to bully and harass me, putting them on ignore does not help. Yes it does block their messages, and any messages they post in channels such as ‘Zone’ and ‘Local’, it also prevents them from trying to form a team with me or send me friend requests.
    >
    > But like mentioned in the earlier thread, it does not stop them from physically finding me on maps and instances. If I am on a map, they will find me. If I switch instance, they will find me.
    >
    > They will continue to use clicky powers on me, which always results in sounds and visual effects. This gets tiresome very quickly, they also use shapeshifting abilities such as holograms and so forth in order to transform into other beings or characters. In order to change their character to have a large hitbox than normal, in order to push my character around, trap me, push me off ledges etc.
    >
    > Videos and screenshots in reports submitted through tickets do not help, trying to ignore them completely despite the clicky powers and being shoved around does not help. They were a member of the Starfleet Dental fleet for a while, which has been a premier trolling fleet in Star Trek Online for quite a while and a thorn in the side of the community.
    >
    > I suspect they have a load of friends, equipped with channels or Discord or something. Maybe even the fleet are keeping an eye out for me, I don’t know. Because no matter what map or instance I go, they always seem to show up.
    >
    > I’ve tried ignoring them..
    > I’ve tried getting help from forum moderators..
    > I’ve submitted countless reports through the ticket system..
    >
    > I am on the verge of quitting the game completely cause of this one person, they obviously have no life. Because I work a full-time job with different hours. So I am not on during the same time every day, some days I’m not online at all.. But when I go online, they usually come.. Everytime.
    >
    > I’ve been tempted to make a new account with a new handle, but it would cost too much.. Both in money and time invested. I don’t know what to do, I am not getting help. I’ve tried outright just ignoring them, but those clicky powers and being shoved around is quickly getting on my nerves.

PM us the details, especially the toon and account name of the person. We can send it to the CS lead directly.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
  • kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    I am so sorry you had/have to go through this kind of cu... behavior.
    More and more, multiplayer games are run over by idiots, rude folks, and the worst: griefers.
    Not sure if applicable in STO, but cheaters also are a formidable pest in MP games.

As far as I am concerned, and I am being civil still, they should hang them by the scro... from bridges.

Let's just say, I have not much up with those folks.
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    Unless its a fleet known for encouraging such behavior for whatever reasons I do think preemptively disbanding/punishing one for the actions of a single member would only do harm for all. Besides it opens the floodgates for all new forms of trolling (joining fleets just to get them banned; yes, there are people that would do that for the "lolz").
    jcsww wrote: »

Edit: Okay. I managed to find it. It is under the Social (old MSN icon looking button / above the Settings and below the Mail), go to Team Settings, Privacy, and you will see the drop down for, Search Visibility. If you change it to Anonymous, then your Player Name will not show up on the map or player search function, but you will show to your fleet. Make sure this player is not a part of your fleet or has an association or alt account within your fleet.

While that should always be a choice for players who prefer a more anonymous playstlye it should never be the answer to bullies.

I really wish the OP the best and hope that gets sorted out so he/she can finally play peacefully.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear about your continued issues with this person. I hope customer support is able to help you resolve it. There is not much you can do from your end unfortunately. Even if their account is locked or banned, there is nothing stopping them from making a new one. Best to let customer service and the GMs do their job.
    Unless its a fleet known for encouraging such behavior for whatever reasons I do think preemptively disbanding/punishing one for the actions of a single member would only do harm for all.

To me, the interesting piece is in the original thread linked in the OP -
    The harasser is a member of our resident troll fleet.

If this is true, why has nothing ever been done about this person or the fleet they belong to? In my experience what the OP is up against is not an isolated incident and this fleet in particular has been doing this kind of stuff for years. No one from Crytpic seems to want to do anything about it.

oO

a) 100% agree

b) I do have a pretty clear idea which fleet it might be and having 2nd hand observed their act over the years... yeah. Baffling that this is still accepted. Makes my teeth skin crawl.
  • sniper1187sniper1187 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    kiksken wrote: »
    I am so sorry you had/have to go through this kind of cu... behavior.
    More and more, multiplayer games are run over by idiots, rude folks, and the worst: griefers.
    Not sure if applicable in STO, but cheaters also are a formidable pest in MP games.

As far as I am concerned, and I am being civil still, they should hang them by the scro... from bridges.

Let's just say, I have not much up with those folks.

Amateur J/K

Better to hang them by their ankles, hand tied behind them, use a razor blade, take off their skin one layer at a time, after each layer is removed, cover them in salt. Hehehehehe *evil laughter*......my dad was in *Nam, him and his unit actually saw that on a film the military had for new "Cherries", to help them know what COULD happen.
    "Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure"
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    Unless its a fleet known for encouraging such behavior for whatever reasons I do think preemptively disbanding/punishing one for the actions of a single member would only do harm for all. Besides it opens the floodgates for all new forms of trolling (joining fleets just to get them banned; yes, there are people that would do that for the "lolz").
    jcsww wrote: »

While that should always be a choice for players who prefer a more anonymous playstlye it should never be the answer to bullies.

I really wish the OP the best and hope that gets sorted out so he/she can finally play peacefully.

Definitely! It was more of a temporary solution until things get sorted for them. I know under certain circumstances, PWE can change the players @handle. That should also not be something necessary but it might offer the player a little more security.
  • antiquesroadshowantiquesroadshow Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    Dude. You're not being bullied. Your being stalked. I think that may be beyond something a video game company can help you with. If the person I physically looking for you, their insane.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I've actually talked with snowwolf on Discord... they have elected to... uninstall on PC and play on console at this time just to get away from it. However I will let them know that you guys stand with them and that any information that can be provided will get to the right people.

To add my 2 ECs... its insane that someone goes out of their way to harass another player like that to the point they are driven OUT of a game they love. I'd use a bit more colorful language but... all you'd see is tribble and I'd probably get modded.
    And the worst part is... a ban won't solve anything. They can just make a new e-mail, make a new account, and pick right back up where they left off. Its like Dynamic IP back in the days of Jedi Academy. An IP ban won't work, a range ban will nail innocent people as well... having a Dynamic IP basically gave someone a license to be an a**.
    We have a similar situation here, but it also, IMO, clearly is a violation of the TOS and has negatively impacted a another player to the point they were driven out of the game.

nail the frakker. We STO players gotta stick together.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Dude. You're not being bullied. Your being stalked.

At this point, does it matter? I can only hope it gets resolved and that they can enjoy playing the game on PC.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    Dude. You're not being bullied. Your being stalked.

At this point, does it matter? I can only hope it gets resolved and that they can enjoy playing the game on PC.

I think you misread the intent of the post. IMO the person you quoted was not "correcting" the OP for using the wrong term, he was telling them it was MORE serious than they may know, and need to act accordingly.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I've actually talked with snowwolf on Discord... they have elected to... uninstall on PC and play on console at this time just to get away from it. However I will let them know that you guys stand with them and that any information that can be provided will get to the right people.

Did you let him/her know that Kael reached out for more information? Seems like this has Cryptic's attention, it would be a shame to just walk away now. Hopefully snowwolf will at least provide the information Kael asked if not for himself/herself then to get this stalker out of the game for the sake of others.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    Dude. You're not being bullied. Your being stalked. I think that may be beyond something a video game company can help you with. If the person I physically looking for you, their insane.
    The powers that be have the ability to ban bad folks.
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    If they are being stalked...like legit stalked...the resolution is a shotgun...not something a game company can do. I know people who have been legit stalked from games to IRL.
    OP is apparently being stalked in-game, not in meatspace. Therefore the shotgun solution will only work if both parties want to do ground PvP, and if the stalker agrees to go away if defeated (which last seems vanishingly unlikely).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,844 Arc User
    casualsto wrote: »

While that can be quite extreme, I wouldn't advise on perma-banning or fleet dissolving, since this punishment might have an effect on innocent people who are also in that fleet.

But a one month period probation and the deletion of any previous or current posts regarding fleet recruitment during this month should do it.

Also, since this is a public griefing issue, they should apologize in this topic, to make it public or get a permaban if they refuse so. This way, we give a chance for settling the dispute, we punish the fleet without hurting other innocent users and if the other sides are refusing to end their behavior or apologize publicly, the permaban is the last clean-cut solution.

I'm also looking on snowwolf's opinion on this as well as others, including staff.

that is EXACTLY what needs to happen. it's up to fleet members to police their own. if they can't handle that simple responsibility the fleet needs to be tossed into the dumpster and set on fire. OP, I'm guessing this is happening on ESD or the First city.. I get that they are convenient, but maybe try not being in the popular social zones. I'm finding myself in the Dyson command more and more. been a while but are there full services in the captains table? assuming you have access, of course. if you can capture video, unblock the loser and capture it all. I'm sure Kael ca or one of the mods can get it to the right people, and the troll is history
    Spock.jpg

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Did you let him/her know that Kael reached out for more information? Seems like this has Cryptic's attention, it would be a shame to just walk away now. Hopefully snowwolf will at least provide the information Kael asked if not for himself/herself then to get this stalker out of the game for the sake of others.

I have, and snowwolf has said that he contacted Kael.
    Now... we just wait and let the investigation proceed.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.