test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Nav Stobes for the Connie Refit!

michael0525michael0525 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
Question: What was the first starship in Star Trek history (on screen, not timeline) to feature navigation strobes?
Answer: The U.S.S. Enterprise Constitution Class Refit as seen in Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Question: Does the STO Constitution Class Refit have navigation strobes?
Answer: No

How can this be? Nav strobes were one of the signature lighting effects of the new and improved, made for the big screen Constitution class and the first appearance ever on a starship yet, in this game, they are absent. Oh sure, they are on every other ship class that carried the name Enterprise, including the NX, Excelsior, Ambassador, Galaxy, Sovereign, Odyssey, Kelvin, Discovery, and what ever class that gigantic Enterprise J is, but not on the one ship that featured them for the first time.

The STO artists have done ever more beautiful starship renderings. The new Sovereign Class Bussard Collectors are just one example of the level of detail they have mastered. I understand that the Connie Refit shares the same in-game frame as the TOS Connie, which had no strobes, and that this is likely the reason for the current situation but, given the Constitution Class's place in Star Trek lore, doesn't it deserve first-rate graphics, even if it means creating a separate frame? I believe it does.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• michael0525michael0525 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    I'm not talking about the red and green beacons. I am talking about the bright white flashing strobes. If you have to look hard to find them, they are not there, but thanks.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    Ohhh... the blinky lights...
    Never really paid attention honestly.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Ohhh... the blinky lights...
    Never really paid attention honestly.

Me either. I didn't even know the Temporal ships had indicators for their molecular deconstruction abilities.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    actually, strobe were on the TOS enterprise...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=163&v=FnG2v_ARfoM&feature=emb_logo
    look around 2:25ish when it cuts to the Enterprise just before she fires on the Doomsday machine...

Just sayin....

#TANSTAAFL
    Spock.jpg

There's a little light that glows either Red, Blue, or Yellow based on which of the configuations you set your ship in, usually somewhere on the back of the ship.
    On the 23rd Century models of the 26th Century ships they're a bit more prominent.
    For example... on the Paladin class using the Ranger skin...
    LVbPSyl.jpg
    You can see the dome structure on top of the torpedo launcher is glowing blue here. That's showing its in the Defensive Configuration. The location would be the same on the actual Paladin model, but the light would not be as big. Red would be Offensive, Yellow would be Support.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Thanks, rattler. Now I know what to look for. I do have a Paladin on one of my toons
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Assuming the light is there in universe (opposed to just for us), the temporal ship indicator light that is, in combat you'd probably be hard pressed to notice it even if we cut down the effects to what was just seen on screen (aka shields and weapons), it's not that obvious when the ship isn't the center of your focus like playable ships are.
  • michael0525michael0525 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    No vetteguy904, you too are confusing the red and green nav beacons indicating port and starboard versus what I am talking about, the bright white strobes...just sayin'.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    if you looked at the clip those are white strobes granted not camera flash strobes, but considering the tech and budget of 1966, more that adequate to illustrate. but go ahead and deflect.. oh and TAS had strobes on the enterprise as well, btu that doesnt count because.. cartoon, right??
    Spock.jpg

latest?cb=20120317051819&path-prefix=en

I think locations include the very front, the back of the nacelles, typically on the bridge dome in later designs, on the very bottom of the ship...
This discussion has been closed.