test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Weapon visuals

chrism9725#8081 chrism9725 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
Has there ever been discussion about being able to re-skin your weapon visuals, most mmo(s) have this option. For example, let’s say you love the kelvin phaser visuals, but we can’t run only Kelvin because of particular sets/builds you have to run to get the max potential out of your ship. So, I picture being able to utilize the re-engineering aspect and being able to alter visuals, say you want Kelvin phaser visual, unlock the visual slot, and all of the visuals you have available will be there, and re-roll just like you would for an attribute. I think this something that should happen, anyone else?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• darpendragondarpendragon Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    Yes, if you did a search for threads, you would have seen that this topic comes up every couple of weeks.

Devs have stated that CBS does not allow them to do so.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Isn't this an F.C.T?
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • chrism9725#8081 chrism9725 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    F.C.T.?
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,455 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    F.C.T.?

There is a sticky thread called The F.C.T. (Frequented Created Threads) List 2.0 thread in this forum. Before you post a thread of this sort please read that thread. It should be recommended reading for any poster to make sure they do not ask a question that has already been answered there. Thanks. :)

P.S. I checked and there is no FCT for this.
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • darpendragondarpendragon Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    > @echatty said:
    > Isn't this an F.C.T?

It should be as it comes up so often, but i checked and it is not.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Maybe we can ask Hussar or Darkblade to add it to the FCT since until further notice, CBS has Veto'd this idea.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    I agree, it should be an F.C.T.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    @darkbladejk
    @wingedhussar#7584

Could you add weapon visuals to the FCT?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Sorry I noobed up the thread, my first post, tried to find the most appropriate place to put it, my bad.
    Don't be sorry. You didn't do anything wrong.

It's just that this topic has been nixed by CBS, it just hasn't been put into the F.C.T. thread yet.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    What echatty said.
    Welcome to the nuthouse that is the STO forums. Keep a fire extinguisher and a crash helmet handy. Some topics get rather... shall we say... heated.
    If you have any questions... feel free to ask.
  • wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    > @rattler2 said:
    > @darkbladejk
    > @wingedhussar#7584
    >
    > Could you add weapon visuals to the FCT?

I'll check with Kael. The question has been discussed, but I don't clearly remember if Kael said it was CBS or Cryptic that said no, if anyone.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    Sorry I noobed up the thread, my first post, tried to find the most appropriate place to put it, my bad.

Its a good question. Especially considering how ugly some of the older weapons look (i.e. Fleet Disruptors or Antiproton weapons). My KDF main totally has style jealously for her BOFFs withering pulsewave assault disruptor :P
    I'm not sure I buy that. Why would CBS care?

Its their IP. If they say standard Phasers must be orange and not neon pink... then The Gods have Spoken.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O8gTIr4lys

While that is a pain for those who don't like to mix weapon visuals even if the damage type matches... its a can of worms best not opened.
    Thankfully I don't care if some of my phaser visuals don't match others. It's a rainbow setup that still does all phaser damage, for instance. Same for other energy types. I mix them all the time.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    CBS Executive Board meeting on the Viacom/Paramount deal was interrupted so they could address the issue of STO Weapons color visuals. It became very heated. They even brought in a 64 Color Crayola box to vote on each color. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • revanmichaels#6727 revanmichaels Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    > @echatty said:
    > Thankfully I don't care if some of my phaser visuals don't match others. It's a rainbow setup that still does all phaser damage, for instance. Same for other energy types. I mix them all the time.

Wish I could get away with this, but with my OCD I would start cussing the monitor out if my ship shot rainbows. <kidding>

But I’ll make all my weapons and uniforms match.
    Well... you can always say that those different colored phaser beams are just firing at a different frequency.
    I mean the Ent-D fired different colored beams against the Borg Cube in BoBW when they were modulating their phaser frequencies.
    > @echatty said:
    > Thankfully I don't care if some of my phaser visuals don't match others. It's a rainbow setup that still does all phaser damage, for instance. Same for other energy types. I mix them all the time.

Wish I could get away with this, but with my OCD I would start cussing the monitor out if my ship shot rainbows. <kidding>

I've even mixed energy types before and also mixed cannons and beams. Not optimal or even meta, but it was fun.

And everyone's fun is right and good, no matter what fun they choose to have. ;)
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    In regards why CBS would be adamant about things like weapon colors (or uniform colors), IP holders sometimes get hung up in wierd details like that and it's probably not something that it desided in a board meeting but rather there's a person or a small team in charge of setting up the rules for the licence holders.

I mean there's several small details in DSC they got correct too many for it to be an accident so you can't say they utterly don't care about those details since they clearly do care about at least some of them.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    > @echatty said:

I've even mixed energy types before and also mixed cannons and beams. Not optimal or even meta, but it was fun.

And everyone's fun is right and good, no matter what fun they choose to have. ;)

I'd say "everyone's fun is right and good as long it doesn't come in expense of others", since I wouldn't call trolling with intent of ruining the game for others a right way to play the game.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    This is one of these great ideas that won't happen for stupid reasons. It somehow makes more sense to those people that a ship that uses all phasers, for example, should be forced to shoot a rainbow instead of one already approved color of phaser.

Frankly every time it gets brought up and answered in some way by the Devs I get the suspicion they don't actually understand what people are asking for. It makes no sense not to be able to unify your weapon colors, especially if you're CBS since you shouldn't actually like rainbow beams online.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Unless they were bringing back the Rainbow Brite Cartoon Series. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    I was looking at it more from a standpoint of those of us that want the damage but also period correct, obviously you are not going to be able to get the same damage on your Kelvin Dread by using Kelvin only weps, and that is where I am seeing it be a problem.
This discussion has been closed.