Do you Regret getting lifetime subcription when you did

2»

Comments

• wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    westmetals wrote: »
    wast33 wrote: »
    Hello,

i played this game like from one month b4 it became f2p until...dunno, like 2015/16. no idea either when i did get me a lifetimesub, must've been like around 1 year after gettin in at the max...

i got it in the 1st place because the pvp system at the time was quite appealing! good balance overall, with some major bugs though. i could jump on any ship and, with gear just picked up along the way, could compete with anything else one could encounter.
    hard learning curve for sure, but one of the best(!) pvp systems i ever did played in!

while with, i think season 4 or 5 (essentially when fleet gear been added), the addition of "improved" types of gear the sheetfest began so to say.... should've known lol.

took me 6k bucks in the end and like 5 years to realize that from pov this game is not worth a single dime! if it would've been a star trek game, even more lead by star trek spirit in the development and community(!), that gives any kind of player a home (in the sense of trek :P!), this would differ.

but essentially, to quote gekko, "we're selling ships".... and that's it. as for the community, never encountered less tolerant people than in here ever!
    one only gotta say "pvp" and holes open allaround lol, just to spit out a mass of narrow "opinions" with no connection to argument or logic lol.
    it's pure hatred, and led in the end (supported by the games staff; gekko again: "pvp'ers are 12 years old, living in their moms basement", after he got slapped hard in pvp on his shiny new excelsior) to the total extinct of a part of the game, which 1st off (by original publisher, atari....) was meant to be an integral part of the game....

so hear me out "trekkies" (lol): u essentially made pvp go extinct. now tell me how that fits into trek, to make things extinct?!
    "never meant for pvp", "trek not pvp" xD..... no words really. u made it extinct, bravo star trek lol :facepalm:....

to conclude:
    i regret every single dime i did spent on this moneyprinting machine in star trek disguise. it's just a generic scene/mmo, nothing special really about it anymore for years. only in st shape, and that's all the trek u gonna find in here ever...
    but feel free to keep on feeding em for ur 30 mins of spacebarbie after work. it will prevent a decent star trek game for quite some more years i guess, gj!

on a note:
    me, as someone with patience in moments of no-choice lol, and ngh trek in me to keep some hope, i still look into the forum from time to time. to see if the miracle happens. shutdown or real attempt of balanced pvp, i'd welcome both. while i clearly give my bet on shutdown in that regard lol.... but it won't happen anytime soon... coz: 30 mins of spacebarbie, ahoi....

njoy, let the "trek" (lol) crowd jump on it. may i read, may not :P :D

We didn't kill PvP. The astoundingly high learning curve / lack of balance killed PvP. Such as the ability to alpha vape kill ANYONE who does not have lockbox-only items/traits to counter it, and also the ability to spawncamp said victims. Last time I was in PvP I could not even get a single shot off. I would quite literally be dead inside of the time it would take to target an enemy once they became visible. And was then verbally assaulted for being so bad (and spammed with appparently-useless instructions on how to "improve", including a link to a PVE shipbuilding guide which I wrote)... never mind the fact that I was running a fully gilded and typematched build.

When it's that un-fun for newcomers, there will BE no newcomers.

To be fair...most of that cause was due to reason that wast33 mentioned. The devs released those things. What he does NOT mention for the main reason PvP died was the TOXIC as all hell PvPers. PvPer could have choosen NOT to use those broken as all hell things. But where is the fun in a fair fight? Yeah vanilla PvP was a thing for a while and that was great with a great community...but normal PvP died not because of the balance issues...but because the PvP playerbase was full of complete douchebags...and this is coming from somebody who admits is a A-hole myself.

for my ol' opponent i might even log on again lol... no, not really. only coz i can't let that stand!

sure, a lot of douches, just like anywhere. but, in comparison to the rest of the crowd, the old pvp community been one of the best i ever encountered in any game!

and with that i not mean those outstandings toxics u mentinoed, but the core of quite helpful people. who play to win, sure. but filled up with pioneers spirit.

pvp boot camp and lots of tourneys with agreed on rulesets are just the top of it. sad pandas beating no-win in several iterations so hard that it got pulled off rofl. the list goes on.... this company simply didnt deserve the pvp-crowd it had. major bug-hunting division it's been as well.... and still ist goes on... oh wait, most dps league superheroes came from pvp as well, right?!..... and on *sigh*...

and, when me personally started with pvp(!), learning curve was hard, sure. but the system itself was more than playable, it was a hell load of fun. even with those douches in who nailed down all feds in cap'n'splode... until i made em splode myself lol..

in short:
    most of the old pvp community been great people. in mass just as the douches in being douchy lol

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I always found it funny when the fly-bys told of suchandsuch@thisandthat was an 'Original Thinker'. Yeah, like there was much of that.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Not once since February 2012 have I regretted getting my LTS...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    We didn't kill PvP. The astoundingly high learning curve / lack of balance killed PvP.

When it's that un-fun for newcomers, there will BE no newcomers.

Let's not forget the complete lack of interest in PvP by the devs to actually address any of the problems that arose, and quite frankly their complete lack of interest in PvP in general.
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    Oh, and I forgot. Having fireworks for 10 years has been worth the LTS price by itself.
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    lol... each and every single time something new , which was broken for pvp but kinda useless in pve, got released and pvp crowd pointed on, the pve crowd instantly jumped on it in total hate and fought for nothing but nothing nice for pvp lol!... each and every single time..... and that's where this community made it go extinct....

and then "listening to pvp again" lmao.... as cryptic ever did something good for pvp or, with such statements, ever would listen to the part of their community they publicly humiliate?!....rofl

"toxic made it die"... can't even cope with the hypocricy in that! yeah, it did... but not from the pvp side... if only with some more support from the general playerbase it could've been handled with, but they just throw more broken stuff on top! i mean: whats the best way to deal with broken stuff?! fix it or add moar lol?!.....

and as long it's official who could blame em 4 using it? loooot's of examples outside of pugging in which such stuff got banned by rulesets, waaaay b4 vanilla pvp......

idc 4 such opinions on the pvp crowd, as i been a part of it. i know how it was, coz i played it extensively for like 5 years. and my pov is set by experience, not by gossip and some bad touchings lol.

njoy ur barbie palace now, i'm off to somewhat halfway decently balanced pvp games, in which i gonna fight anything pve related, thx to my experience from this forum lol!
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    When I got my Lifetime 4 ish years ago I thought it was a really good thing to get cause I enjoy the game.
    However, at this time, the direction the game is going in is making me seriously regret getting it at all.
    Regretting getting it will continue till I see the game moving in a positive direction and right now thats not hapening.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I regret nothing.. 3 years, 30 chars... yeah.. dont regret anything!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    Considering I purchased mine back in January 2010 during the end of the closed beta - nope. It's paid for itself at this point.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    Honestly, seeing as how my father gifted me lifetime sub at launch I can't really regret it, but I bet he does since he quit the game like a year later so it was a waste of money for him

Nowadays? I probably wouldn't buy lifetime sub. Now a few years ago I might've but it doesn't feel like its very worth it today. The perks progressively become less and less useful, and it needs some kind of update to add in new ships or new ships for the free token you get.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • sniper1187sniper1187 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    No when I got it the game was extremely active and made a few friends to play with who have all moved on. If I bought it within the last 2 and half years I'd be crying into my beer with the TRIBBLE poor performance I'm getting from the servers. Rubberbanding, Lag, Power tray misfires, freezing as a feature rather than a hiccup

This, it says it all. They aren't gonna fix it, they don't know HOW to fix it.
    "Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure"
  • pet1e86pet1e86 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    I don't regret getting when I did( at launch) I've taken long breaks and come back to nice zen amounts, however I wouldn't buy now, just not worth it, the ships I don't use other than for admiralty, captains table is non existant, may as well delete, 5% xp goes practically unnoticed, the extra bank slots are nice but don't justify the price, if I was gonna spend that kind of money today it would be on legendary pack or ships, don't see the value in LTS, not without them adding something extra, maybe increase the stipend, increase the extra refine amount from every 48 hours to 24, maybe add some lobi, a master key a month, maybe ec, something to warrant the cost, as $200 could be better spent elsewhere in game, if they want to sell more LTS, by the looks of it they do, due to the number of sales they're doing, they need to improve its worth.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    the only thing that bothers me is how the exclusives are no longer exclusive. like a playable Borg. right now the only thing that would motivate me is the ship.. and the trait which i put on every build. I think Cryptic needs to give thought and put some more exclusives back into the LTS to make it viable.
    Spock.jpg

• duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    I bought mine 1 month after launch of STO when the game was subscription based. It paid for itself before the game when F2P. So yeah, its all been gravy for years now.

As for buying it now... that's a tough choice. If I had to give a yes/no to buy one right now... no.
    For that $200 (or $300 if not on sale) you can buy a lot of things.
    LTS only really gives you a couple otherwise unobtainable ships. They are nice ships but not worth 200.
    Everything else LTS can give you can be purchased separately.
    And I guess...if you make a ton of alt toons, they each benefit from the LTS bonuses. So that multiplies value.
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    It pays for itself after a while, so, yeah. Plus, I rather like the auto refine on dil, so if I wished to take a break for a few days, there'd be some fresh dil waiting for me when I get back. Plus some free ships, spacesuits, and even a liberated borg if you're into those. I believe there's even some free boff slots and respec tokens, and believe you me, those add up after a few toons!
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    I never did get one. I would have, as a huge Star Trek fan, I wanted to be in the Star Trek world forever! Unfortunately, the game quickly stopped feeling like Star Trek, and the world of the game diminished more and more until the "world" of the game is really little more than an elaborate lobby where you wait around for scenarios to launch. That's not what I wanted to be part of, so I'm GLAD I never got the lifetime sub.

Don't get me wrong, the game is entertaining enough to keep me around, but I've not spent any money on it for years. It's become little more than a space action game, and that's fine as far as it goes. I just wanted (and expected) more from an MMO than that. There needed to be a sense of immersion in a "living" universe, and there just isn't anymore (if ever there was).

I do notice a real lack of feeling for the world that I miss about my old WoW day. That being said I came to the game for the ships tbh and I'm enjoying what I'm getting.
  • arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    Not at all. It was money well spent for the benefits I've received over the years.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Got mine way back when subs were still a thing so no regrets over that purchase, stipend has more paid the cost back.

It's not however something I'd consider buying again, on either PC or PS4.

PS4 is only the perks and tends to dance on the edge of being misleading due to the lack of emphasis on it only being the perks when it goes on discount. And the game on console is far too rough around the edges to justify me dumping money onto one. They did seem to admit the hardware isn't up to the demands by removing the turret spam from the moon TFO but didn't bother QA enough to figure out that 5 players plus enemies at the end makes it chug really badly on top of the input delay. The console is a specific spec so its very easy to find the limitations.

Spend most of my play time on PC but I couldn't justify an LTS nowadays because the game has devolved into a mindless cycle of events and most of the money seems to get blown on getting actors to reprise their roles. New "content" seems to revolve around finding new ways of getting the player to fly from a to b where they get ambushed by x waves of y. On a positive sto's wobbly writing can't really make disco trek any worse so there is that.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    On a positive sto's wobbly writing can't really make disco trek any worse so there is that.

Some Deferi would like to have a word with you. About the old story-arcs before their first tweaks. Also, House Pegh.

OT: Have been a lifer since 2011. Didn't grab it on a sale, but it's paid off multiple times by now.
  • noemiecarnesirnoemiecarnesir Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    r24681012 wrote: »
    so my question is do you regret getting lifetime subcription and looking back now would have not got it when you did

I never regretted one second !
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    Seeing as mine is long since payed off, not really.
  • psytce0002psytce0002 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    I was gifted my LTS during the first sale of the LTS so I'm an OG LTS'er and since, at the time, there was a $15 a month subscription and F2P didn't start for a while (After 2 years IIRC) I had received my value at about 13 months of play time. ($ 199 divided by $15 = 13.2666.....), I've taken a break for about 18 months and have been back for the last 4 years. So since I got it all the way back then, and my sister got an account that when she stopped playing I was able to raid and use her Zen for Keys, I have very little to complain about .....

But if I didn't get it during Beta and had to get it now I would save my money. The game is over 10 years old and probably has so much garbage code in it there are bugs that they are just unable to fix. I'm sure there were design flaws at the beginning that are still there. but considering that Cryptic got the game up and running in about 15 months, IIRC, and during that time went from being an independent company, to being bought by ATARI, to being sold to Perfect World, the game has not been perfect, but all that being said, I love this game and I've still been adding money because of the joy that this game has given me during the hardest time of my life. In 2009 I became disabled and have used this game to get through a long rough road. In 2008 I was married and had a very good job as a software engineer, by 2010 I was disabled, separated and trying to live on my own for the first time in 10 years. In having to deal with the loss of my career and marriage this game and the people I was playing it with were a godsend. I don't know where I would be without this game being around for me at a time I really needed it. Is the game perfect, no.... but then again no game is. Was it worth getting the LTS, for me it was, for you it may not have been. There are just too many factors in play to give a plain yes or no answer for everybody. I'm sure there will be someone who buys the LTS this week and will be very happy with it, and another person who hates that they bought it because of multiple different reasons .....

Sorry for the rant, but it seems that I had to get a few things off my chest ....

Just my 2¢ ... Everybody please stay safe and be careful ....

Psytce - <3o:)B)

LLAP - IDIC
  • diocletian#7546 diocletian Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    I purchased mine during the 10 year anniversary sale. I am very happy I did and feel I get much out of it, especially when I compare to other forms of entertainment for the same amount.

I have a stressful job and escaping into the world of Star Trek each day helps a great deal. When I mentally transform myself into my TOS Tellarite captain and run through the STO content it is a welcome diversion and escape. To me, the $150 I paid back in January was well worth it for a lot of reasons and not just the LTS perks you get.
This discussion has been closed.