test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best Served Cold (New TFO) - Discussion

reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,365 Arc User
As per the below link, we have a new TFO incoming:
https://arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11459233?fbclid=IwAR1y7RX3lZDimINuLiB80y_BFLr5rgN0ubroucafiEgmvftVDo_z7VGX5oA
fd47aad03af3b5235b91d90df8d30be21592271346.jpg

Thought it an idea to create a thread to discuss this here, since 'Galatic News Network' hasn't been updated for a few weeks.

Comments

• foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,702 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    reyan01 wrote: »
    https://arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11459233?fbclid=IwAR1y7RX3lZDimINuLiB80y_BFLr5rgN0ubroucafiEgmvftVDo_z7VGX5oA

Thought it an idea to create a thread to discuss this here, since 'Galatic News Network' hasn't been updated for a few weeks.

I don't think Cryptic uses the Galactic News Network (GNN) thread efficiently myself instead Cryptic seems to favor 3rd party social media sites. I suppose having it placed on Arc is their "good enough". Thanks for linking & communicating the information here. it's always nice to receive a heads-up. It was a nice little read though.
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,365 Arc User
    edited June 2020

I don't think Cryptic uses the Galactic News Network (GNN) thread efficiently myself instead Cryptic seems to favor 3rd party social media sites. I suppose having it placed on Arc is their "good enough". Thanks for linking & communicating the information here. it's always nice to receive a heads-up.

Agreed -they've given priority to Social Media for some time now. Although I have to admit that the fact that they've stopped posting news/updates/patch Notes altogether in GNN does make me worry for the future of this forum particuarly since I am, personally, no fan of social media :(

• redwren89redwren89 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    They release a new TFO! A welcome addition after much uproar regarding 'that bundle'. I absolutely love most new content and can't wait to play it several... hundred times.

I'm hoping for a ground version to this soonish!

I don't think Cryptic uses the Galactic News Network (GNN) thread efficiently myself instead Cryptic seems to favor 3rd party social media sites. I suppose having it placed on Arc is their "good enough". Thanks for linking & communicating the information here. it's always nice to receive a heads-up.

Agreed -they've given priority to Social Media for some time now. Although I have to admit that the fact that they've stopped posting news/updates/patch Notes altogether in GNN does make me worry for the future of this forum :(

I agree too about the worrying. I just saw in in-game chat, so could be fantasy, earlier something about 1 of Cryptic's Creative Dept. personnel quitting/fired/leaving so another negative indicator. It doesn't inspire confidence, at least to me, when doing the seemingly bare minimum is the standard operating procedure. Currently, though I try to think of it as Cryptic having to work/play with 1 arm tied behind their back with the current pandemic, but I also won't ignore Cryptic has been slowly strolling in this direction the last few years anyways. I'm placing a lot of hope on this "Year of the Klingon" thing Cryptic is cooking-up.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    A new TFO is always welcome! Let us hope and pray (if you like) that this will be the last Disco themed TFO/content in general. I would really like the STO storyline to leave all this Discovery nonsense behind and to brave something completely original again.
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,365 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »
    A new TFO is always welcome! Let us hope and pray (if you like) that this will be the last Disco themed TFO/content in general. I would really like the STO storyline to leave all this Discovery nonsense behind and to brave something completely original again.

Doesn't seem like since it seems as if the J'ula storyline is going to feature, in some way, in this 'Year of Klingon' storyline.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    Let's hope it is just one episode where we finally hunt her down and chase her into a supernova.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 54,805 Community Moderator
    We still have to face J'Ula, and the risk of the Empire fracturing because of her. We're looking at the potential for a full on Klingon Civil War if J'Ula is not stopped. Hell... we may already be in it. J'Ula is clearly getting help upgrading Mo'kai ships to 25th Century specs. Wouldn't be surprised if the remnants of House Torg are involved. While Torg himself is dead, I doubt his followers, who weren't in the immediate presence of Martok's defeat of Torg, would just roll over and die for the Empire.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,462 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    They'd rather have sh*tstorms in General rather than in the 'Official' News Forum.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    redwren89 wrote: »
    They release a new TFO! A welcome addition after much uproar regarding 'that bundle'. I absolutely love most new content and can't wait to play it several... hundred times.

I'm hoping for a ground version to this soonish!

Based on the sneak peaks I think we'll see a proper episode mission involving Rure Penthe

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,462 Arc User
    Oh good, another Space TFO. We get a Ground Patrol and it's only for a (21-Day) First Contact DAY Event, then it goes away. Why would a Rura Penthe TFO be on the Ground?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,880 Arc User
    I'd definitely think this is going to be a two-parter (space and ground), since we're going to have to find out what J'Ula/Aakar is up to on Rura Penthe.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 7,719 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »

Doesn't seem like since it seems as if the J'ula storyline is going to feature, in some way, in this 'Year of Klingon' storyline.

Nor should it in my opinion. If the J'ula story line were to be included, should TOS era klingon stories not be included either?
    It would be interesting to see TOS era content going into the lost Klingon fleet of Chancellor Mow'ga. TOS era klingons and Breen, what is not to like.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • jasonkirk#8984 jasonkirk Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Finally something KLINGON. I love ground but will take anything that is new.​​
    I'd definitely think this is going to be a two-parter (space and ground), since we're going to have to find out what J'Ula/Aakar is up to on Rura Penthe.

I like your thinking on this & hope you're correct. That would be fun though I'm not a fan of that J'Ula character, she seems too derivative to me.
  • bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    I smell Alliance Reputation coming soonish. As for a new TFO, I am all for content of any kind large or small. I just would like things to become streamlined with reputation requirements, getting tired of having to have these marks, those marks, that rare commodity this rare commodity.

And while it is year of the Klingon....id still kill for a year of the 1 single color palette for all.
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    Oh my, a prison break! What a terrifically original idea.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    It's a verified classic. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 3,524 Arc User

inconceivable
    meh

• darknovasc01darknovasc01 Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    bunansa wrote: »
    I smell Alliance Reputation coming soonish. As for a new TFO, I am all for content of any kind large or small. I just would like things to become streamlined with reputation requirements, getting tired of having to have these marks, those marks, that rare commodity this rare commodity.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope in that regard.

Looking back through the mists of time into the dim and distant past of Star Trek Online, I seem to remember when the game switched to FTP that a reduction in the number of different currencies in use ingame was one of the stated aims.

To quote the late, great Bruce Forsyth, 'Didn't they do well?'

The reduction in currencies came about because many of the old currencies did the exact same thing, and it wasn't clear to a lot of people what currencies did what. It wasn't just because there was a lot of them, but rather, because it wasn't clear on what they were for.

The rep currencies all clear on what they are used for.

I'd have to agree with som here. Yea we got a lot of currencies now, but they all have a clealy defined use. Also they can be traded for another, more commonly used currency, Dilithium.

Now... if only we'd get an actual use for GPL... I have no idea how many pyramids I've build out of my GPL by now but its losing its appeal. Maybe I should try a full Royal Castle (fans of Lords of the Realm 2 should know that) next?
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 3,414 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The reduction in currencies came about because many of the old currencies did the exact same thing, and it wasn't clear to a lot of people what currencies did what. It wasn't just because there was a lot of them, but rather, because it wasn't clear on what they were for.

I'd have to agree with som here. Yea we got a lot of currencies now, but they all have a clealy defined use. Also they can be traded for another, more commonly used currency, Dilithium.

Now... if only we'd get an actual use for GPL... I have no idea how many pyramids I've build out of my GPL by now but its losing its appeal. Maybe I should try a full Royal Castle (fans of Lords of the Realm 2 should know that) next?

I've just started to use it as orbital bombardment weapon, instead of a phaser I just have crew dumb a load it from high orbit and have it land on the enemy ;)

Though seriously there's next to no use for GPL and you get loads of it easily, I'd use it for Dabo but I end up getting more then I spend on it. That's btw an easy way to do the "earn x GPL from Dabo" endeavors since the game doesn't count if you actually ended up net positive IIRC only that your overall winning from dabo matched the amount on screen (so you can spend as much GPL as you need to get the amount needed on screen).
    Yea... I've done that myself at the dabo table.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I wouldn't hold out too much hope in that regard.

Looking back through the mists of time into the dim and distant past of Star Trek Online, I seem to remember when the game switched to FTP that a reduction in the number of different currencies in use ingame was one of the stated aims.

To quote the late, great Bruce Forsyth, 'Didn't they do well?'

Also one of them existed for no reason other than to limit how often you could retrain boffs. And several of them could only be spent on NooB gear that you'd probably outlevel before earning enough currency.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    So judging by the screenshot this is Discovery Klingons again (disco klingon ship shown) which is just outrageous IMO.

Please use 25th century prime timeline Klingons, thank you.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 3,414 Arc User
    So judging by the screenshot this is Discovery Klingons again (disco klingon ship shown) which is just outrageous IMO.

Please use 25th century prime timeline Klingons, thank you.

Well it could also be a mix, but it's clearly J'ula factions that's attacking, the Klingon commander mentioned is the one we fight against in the Prior's world missions and TFO.

Though IMHO it would be nice to show that J'ula has some modern allies and maybe even show that House Mo'kai forces are adapting to the current klingon look (they're suppose to be a house that specializes on intel and covert operations yet their members stand out like a sore thumb next to any other House).
    I think there were a few non Mo'kai ships we fought in the previous TFO. Probably remnants of House Torg.
  • chkargh#2024 chkargh Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    I wish that in this PvE will be speak Klingon please. In our home Empire we always speak Klingon.
    Qapla'!