test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Legendary Romulan Captain Bundle is too overpriced

xuelxuel Member Posts: 165 Arc User
$100+ for 1 ship and a cheap lvl boost is just plain stupid and beyond greedy.

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Well, the best way to show that it's overpriced is not buying it.

But basically what you seem to get is a set of ship skins with new stats, a level boost and some close-to-endgame level gear that will be useful at the beginning but you'll probably outgrow.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    The current price is $60 and it includes consoles and probably traits from the Malem and lower-tier ships. It also includes the TOS skin from a $250 promo pack ship.

The Picard T'Liss itself would have been a $250 promo pack ship before they started doing these bundles.

Greedy? You're entitled to your opinion.

Meanwhile playing STO is 100% free, Cryptic gives out 3 T6 event ships a year, and currently we're in a campaign to earn our choice of a free T6 C-Store ship or enough lobi to pick a lobi store ship. Yep, that's ol' money-grubbin' Crypitc for ya!
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    While I *DO* agree it's "normal" price is overpriced, I think it's sale price is completely fair. Why? Because as someone explained on reddit the tier 6 T'liss is just as rare/expensive as the tier 6 TOS connie, and if they sold the tier 6 TOS connie individually in the C-store it would cost way more than the standard $30 too.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • maniac20#5251 maniac20 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    I kind of disagree about it being overpriced because that character boost in MMO's that have that system working perfectly is $60 alone then add in the cost of the ship with all those consoles from ships of that variant already available in game which would range I think anywhere from 1k-3k zen with the 3k zen one being in the store + all the skins.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    I kind of disagree about it being overpriced because that character boost in MMO's that have that system working perfectly is $60 alone then add in the cost of the ship with all those consoles from ships of that variant already available in game which would range I think anywhere from 1k-3k zen with the 3k zen one being in the store + all the skins.

Unfortunately that doesn't cover anything for people who just want to buy the ship or have so many chars they can't create a new one. The problem is not the 6000zen, the problem is that the package is TRIBBLE. Its not like you need weeks to level a char in this game and the rest what comes with it is a joke. 1.000.000 EC LoL seriously what is that all about. The weapons and gear is not needed either. So the only remotely good thing in this pack is the 250k rep dillithium.

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    $100 is stupidity greed for an account wide T6 ship? Man you must ultra new to the game. Otherwise you know that the vast majority of T6 box ships cost around $250 or so and are only for 1 toon.

Just sayin'...
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • jayfresh11jayfresh11 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    I definitely agree. Even with the half price discount is too expensive for one ship. But it makes the legendary ship bundle much more enticing with the discount. 19500 for 10 ships, glad they brought it back this weekend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Well, the T'lisss has a command/intel combination which gives it a stealth bomber/mine layer potential which we have only seen in the Styx.

That said the price is a steep one and for me who has the T'varo 3-piece already it offers very little.
    As it is i am not enticed to spend money/time gathering dilithium on it.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »

But if there were a Zen charge sale.......then I might just get my wallet out.

No doubt... That is precisely what I am waiting on. For $200 you get 8k bonus well that is the Rommie pack for me!
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    This is what long-lived MMOs are, OP. STO is 10+ years old now, and constantly releasing new content. Yeah, some of these bundles are expensive. But it pays the bills, keeps the lights on, and keeps the company profitable.

STO is probably the least aggressive MMO when it comes to irl money right now. All the C-Store stuff, you can actually grind for. Plus sales, plus ZEN bonuses, etc. Look at SWTOR and WOW, they are truly paywalled.

All-in-all, yeah absolutely the bundle costs a good chunk of change. But not everyone needs to buy it. And I honestly don't feel their prices are abnormally high for what we're getting overall.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    Well, the T'lisss has a command/intel combination which gives it a stealth bomber/mine layer potential which we have only seen in the Styx.
    Can you elaborate? I fail to see what this dual spec offers the T'Liss.

The Styx doesn't seem to have any cloaks. You say you own the other T'liss so you would know the ship comes with enhanced battle cloak (EBC), which permits the firing of torpedoes, science, and a few other boff abilities without fully decloaking.

Torpedoes do not rely on subsystem power, which is what Intel offers with OSS. Energy torpedoes might, I'd have to verify. Exotic radiation torpedoes I don't believe benefit from Aux. Intel team gives a special temporary cloak where energy weapons can still fire, but on a ship that has EBC it's a waste of a slot and quite redundant. Surgical strikes shares cooldowns with other energy weapon enhancements and offers nothing for torpedoes, no miracle worker seating either to boost different weapon types with it, and is quite a downgrade overall. Kinetic magnet debuff is short lasting with a long cooldown. Ionic turbulence might work with gravity well but bunching up enemies and drawing their threat is dangerous in a squishy ship. Evade target lock is useful, and transport torpedo might be interesting. The rest are skill traps.

Command's reroute power from life support clashes badly with OSS since they work in opposing ways: the former decays as the latter builds plus punishing cooldown penalty for 10 seconds. Both scale with engineer captain space powers, but since Aux overcap was nerfed long ago for EPG it is also meaningless for cloaked science. Concentrate firepower might be worthwhile depending on how it works, whether it works while cloaked, and rally point marker for a one time strong heal which for squishy fast ships is inferior to what pilot offers. Needs of the many is suicide as proper shielding soak up unavoidable torpedo spreads plus you only have 0.9 shield mod. Overwhelm emitters I'm not sure if it applies to your own ship too, but it is both weak and redundant when Valdore console exists. Suppress firepower not meant for squishy ships as they speed tank away huge damage with high defense rating and being out of weapon range or cloaked. The rest are skill traps (STO is a skill trap).

I see no cross-specialization interaction that would serve the T'liss for its EBC, singularity core, or 4 sci consoles with LtC Sci.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • redwren89redwren89 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    > @questerius said:
    > Well, the T'lisss has a command/intel combination which gives it a stealth bomber/mine layer potential which we have only seen in the Styx.
    >
    > That said the price is a steep one and for me who has the T'varo 3-piece already it offers very little.
    > As it is i am not enticed to spend money/time gathering dilithium on it.

2 aft is not conducive to mine layer potential as you so stated. This is a torpedo boat, concentrate firepower would be a must. Possibly 2 piece romulan prototype set for fast plasma projectiles, Terran projectiles rep trait, swarmer matrix, kemocite. Not sure that Intel abilities have any business on this torpedo boat, but Intel team certainly would be nice. Single targeting is a must to avoid too much threat on its lesser chassis.

I don't already have the tvaro, but my torpedo boat is not strictly all torpedoes, makes it great for Intel plus command spec. I won't be getting this. It's way too expensive to add a redundant star ship trait, bundle of junk and is an insult to the mainstay ships of the romulan fleet such as the many variants of the D'deridex. Makes me wonder why there isn't a legendary variant, but maybe were all dealing with Pakleds.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Better than giving one and a half BILLION ECs to some greedy swindler on the exchange.....MUCH better.
    Get a nice ship, a lot of skin and consoles.....I don't got the malem yet. And a bunch of other goodies. I'll take THAT over trying to collect a billion EC....it's taken me like 2 YEARS to earn up just 450 million EC.

A definitive WIN in my book. B)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Better than giving one and a half BILLION ECs to some greedy swindler on the exchange.....MUCH better.

Who is actually the "greedy" one? The person who is selling them on the exchange, or the person who put them in a gamble box with a super low drop rate? The exchange prices are based on where these ships come from, so you are blaming the effect rather than the cause.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    For £40, IF I loved Roms as much as I love Klingons then I'd buy it. It all depends on what you like. Back when I played WoWS I pit down £100 on the Hood bundle because I am a RN faanbois.

I won't buy the Rom bundle but if it was a legendary B'rel for £40? I'd buy it in a heartbeat and my main toon is already 65!

But even if it was a B'rel I wouldn't buy it at the full £80 price tbh.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User

Who is actually the "greedy" one? The person who is selling them on the exchange, or the person who put them in a gamble box with a super low drop rate? The exchange prices are based on where these ships come from, so you are blaming the effect rather than the cause.

Fully agree here. The risk and hassle of opening stuff to at least try to break even is 100% due to Cryptic's drop rates on varying items, and their own market conditions for the value of trying to use or sell the other junk that comes with opening different types of boxes.

There is an 'easy' way to earn EC, by buying stuff off the C-Store with Dil-Zen and selling it on the exchange. Other ways exist too, such as crafting and upgrading tradeable items. The exchange is part of the gameplay so the value of goods stays high since someone will always want what to you might be a duplicate, unusable, undesirable, etc.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    redwren89 wrote: »
    > @questerius said:
    > Well, the T'lisss has a command/intel combination which gives it a stealth bomber/mine layer potential which we have only seen in the Styx.
    >
    > That said the price is a steep one and for me who has the T'varo 3-piece already it offers very little.

2 aft is not conducive to mine layer potential as you so stated. This is a torpedo boat, concentrate firepower would be a must. Possibly 2 piece romulan prototype set for fast plasma projectiles, Terran projectiles rep trait, swarmer matrix, kemocite. Not sure that Intel abilities have any business on this torpedo boat, but Intel team certainly would be nice. Single targeting is a must to avoid too much threat on its lesser chassis.

I don't already have the tvaro, but my torpedo boat is not strictly all torpedoes, makes it great for Intel plus command spec. I won't be getting this. It's way too expensive to add a redundant star ship trait, bundle of junk and is an insult to the mainstay ships of the romulan fleet such as the many variants of the D'deridex. Makes me wonder why there isn't a legendary variant, but maybe were all dealing with Pakleds.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Kinetic_Magnet
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Concentrate_Firepower
    The reasons why command/intel is such a coveted combination for a torpedo/mine boat.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.

Fully agree here. The risk and hassle of opening stuff to at least try to break even is 100% due to Cryptic's drop rates on varying items, and their own market conditions for the value of trying to use or sell the other junk that comes with opening different types of boxes.

There is an 'easy' way to earn EC, by buying stuff off the C-Store with Dil-Zen and selling it on the exchange. Other ways exist too, such as crafting and upgrading tradeable items. The exchange is part of the gameplay so the value of goods stays high since someone will always want what to you might be a duplicate, unusable, undesirable, etc.

Yep. Every lockbox and promo ship I own came from the exchange, and I raised the EC through either grinding dil to zen or buying zen, then using zen to buy things like master keys or pomo packs to sell on the exchange for EC. But the point is this: I don't blame the people selling the ships on the exchange for the high prices; I blame the people who put them in the gambling packs with low drop rates in the first place.

That said, I don't really "blame" anyone (in the sense that I'm mad about it). I've figured out how the system works and have learned how to use it to my own advantage. Through dil to zen grinding I have over 1bil EC sitting in the bank and 25,000 zen in my wallet, so I'll be picking up the legendary BOP next week for literally $0. There is no way I can complain about that price :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Get a nice ship, a lot of skin and consoles.....I don't got the malem yet. And a bunch of other goodies. I'll take THAT over trying to collect a billion EC....it's taken me like 2 YEARS to earn up just 450 million EC.

I keep having people say that you can get enough for one of those ships easily without buying keys... but they never elaborate on how...

I'm also wishing the Fed bundle also had individual options as well. I'd gladly grind out each ship even if it was 3.5-4k zen a pop. Because I'd be able to actually work towards that without having to spend around 9 months to do it.
    The main thing inhibiting me from getting the Fed bundle is the fact I can't plan any kind of grind for it. I'd have to swear off ANY C-Store purchases with ground out Zen until it comes up... and I don't know when it will because its not always in the C-Store.
    I'd love to get it but... I can't just drop that much in one go, and I can't plan for it like I can other things in the C-Store.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    I'd gladly grind out each ship even if it was 3.5-4k zen a pop.

I don't think you're ever going to see a T6 Connie for 4,000 zen, they give up too much money at that price when people are paying 20,000 for the bundle or 25,000 for promo packs.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    redwren89 wrote: »
    > @questerius said:
    >

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Kinetic_Magnet
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Concentrate_Firepower
    The reasons why command/intel is such a coveted combination for a torpedo/mine boat.

Does Concentrate firepower break cloak? Also, does it give the owner of the ability free THY1s?

Does Kinetic Magnet stack with other kinetic damage debuffs such as Improved Grav Well?
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    So...let me get this straight...the old price is ~250 dollars for ONE TOON. The new price is 60 dollars on sale, 120 not on sale for an ACCOUNT unlock and it is over priced. K.

Yes. It is possible for both prices to be "too high". For me, anything over $30 for a single ship is too high.

Also, there is not "old price" and "new price" for this ship. It has never been offered before, so this is the only price. Which is too high.

If you think that $60 for a single ship is not too much, that is fine by me. Just don't expect me, or others to agree with you.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Uh... little too much there cold...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • maniac20#5251 maniac20 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    xuel wrote: »
    $100+ for 1 ship and a cheap lvl boost is just plain stupid and beyond greedy.

Ok Let me ask you this would prefer to pay 1.5bil for the same ship without all those extra perks for only 1 character and not pay cryptic for the ship + everything else including the full console set from other versions for an account-wide T'Liss. I suggest you look up T'Liss on the exchange. You are getting it a lot cheaper with that bundle than you would off the exchange or from R&D/Doff Promo packs.
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    If priced out properly the actual cost t6 ship plus what can be verified in the C-Store comes to 5750.
    But for those of us who ONLY want the ship, 6k is a bit much for wanting only the ship. As to the C-Store stuff, some of that as a single character unlock is a nit pick to me making this pack totally worthless to me.
    If priced out properly the actual cost t6 ship plus what can be verified in the C-Store comes to 5750.
    But for those of us who ONLY want the ship, 6k is a bit much for wanting only the ship. As to the C-Store stuff, some of that as a single character unlock is a nit pick to me making this pack totally worthless to me.

I can buy the "6k is a bit much for wanting only the ship" argument. But what is the "right" number going to be? It has to be higher than $30, because $30 is their standard number for any given t6 ship. But this isn't any given t6 ship; it's a version of a ship that until now has only be available in a promo pack. It's the Rom version of the TOS connie. So again, what is the "right" number? And what will you say when someone else says your "right" number isn't "right" for them?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    The current price is $60 and it includes consoles and probably traits from the Malem and lower-tier ships. It also includes the TOS skin from a $250 promo pack ship.

The Picard T'Liss itself would have been a $250 promo pack ship before they started doing these bundles.

Greedy? You're entitled to your opinion.

Meanwhile playing STO is 100% free, Cryptic gives out 3 T6 event ships a year, and currently we're in a campaign to earn our choice of a free T6 C-Store ship or enough lobi to pick a lobi store ship. Yep, that's ol' money-grubbin' Crypitc for ya!

But look at the Fed pack...10 ships for 200 vs 60 for 1 and a character boost.

The way they said buy it if you want to see more content like this...feels like this is just another way to make it bomb so they don't bother making more Romulan ships. Plausible deniability...
This discussion has been closed.