test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is the purpose of Sector Space, again?

2»

Comments

• alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Sector space would be fun to be an extension of space combat, so you or NPCs have the option of warping away, and to chase for sector battles. Another Star Trek game had this aspect built-in and it gave a true feel of fighting in space with super fast ships, plus the extra strategy options available.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    I like flying to my target locations. Sometimes I might take the shortcut, but usually I travel and keep being surprised that I still have characters whose ships are not breaking the warp barrier. :smile:

edit
    Maybe they should re-introduce a shortcut price again? Maybe this time 200 dil or something. Why did they removed it to begin with anyway?
  • furyofthefugafuryofthefuga Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    I like flying to my target locations. Sometimes I might take the shortcut, but usually I travel and keep being surprised that I still have characters whose ships are not breaking the warp barrier. :smile:

edit
    Maybe they should re-introduce a shortcut price again? Maybe this time 200 dil or something. Why did they removed it to begin with anyway?

Probably people crying. ;)
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    If I have not yet made my point clear, it is not my intent to suggest that Sector Space need to be removed. But for the longest time, sector space travel served as the main barrier to other forms of travel around the galaxy. It's why traveling from the bridge of one's ship, in any form, became added to the Frequently Closed Threads topic...

But now, with the insta-travel buttons next to missions, by their own design and intent, Cryptic has in fact set a preference for all sorts of triggered insta-travel options that could be implemented via dialogue or menu options available from anywhere it makes sense, including, but not limited to a space map or on the bridge of one's ship...

I had asked on the first page if there was a perceived problem with people taking the insta-travel option on the part of those who prefer to actually travel physically in Sector Space. So far, there has been no such indication in this thread. I have no such problem either.

This makes travel by sector space or by transwarp button merely a matter of personal preference on the part of individual players. It has zero impact on gameplay. An MMO cannot have too many personal preference options... With these facts not in dispute, I challenge Cryptic to come up with creative application for the insta-travel system, even giving considerations to possibility of certain things they have written off in the past, because at the time there was not existing insta-travel mechanic, except for a very few specific transwarp destinations.

It would give unlocking various transwarp destinations back some meaning; even more so now that space looks cool and almost feels like a big place; opposed to the shoeboxes we had before.

My fear is that they does the opposite at some point though an slowly kill off space again because someone gets bored and feels that 2 means to get to point B is unnecessary :/
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    But now, with the insta-travel buttons next to missions...

"Insta-travel buttons" have been next to missions for years & years. The only recent change is that they took the EC charge off of them. (And then there's the original Transwarp menu, with it's cooldown between uses. And the 'transwarp to a specific location' consumables that dropped from some event in the last year or two, that I have cluttering up the inventory on my main. Etc, etc, etc.)

This makes travel by sector space or by transwarp button merely a matter of personal preference on the part of individual players. It has zero impact on gameplay

There's a bunch of things that you can only encounter by running across them in sector space. There's the resource nodes, there's all the old patrols that aren't in the new Patrol interface, there's old missions that aren't in the episode list anymore, there's NPCs with interactions, there's all the DOFF missions (and remember, each little chunk of the sector grid has it's own selection, so just replacing it with a "here's some space doff missions" hailing window wouldn't replace it. Plus, the exploration nebula DOFF missions), etc. Sure, a person who's just trying to blast their way through the official episode list might not care about any of that, and just transwarp-button between them. But there's plenty of gameplay in sector space for those who seek it out.

(my KDF alts cruise back and forth over half a dozen sector blocks when they're looking for contraband missions, for instance.)

edit: ah, and let's not forget Tour The Galaxy

It's why traveling from the bridge of one's ship, in any form, became added to the Frequently Closed Threads topic...

There's a total difference between "traveling from your bridge" (having your ship interior map be a transition level between Mission Encounter Map 1, and Mission Encounter Map 2), and "traveling from your bridge" (having a live viewscreen, where you actively drive around Sector Space from). The first one has always been possible (and missions do stuff like that, when they're not just showing an exterior-view "warp away" <loading screen> "warp in on new map"). The second one is an FCT topic.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    the EC price was removed as it could get extremely pricey on folks leveling up, and on folks who are/were free to play as they were limited to 15m ec without the cap increase. an average day of playing could mean someone's ec pile could be gone purely from transwarping. overall the EC cost served no real purpose anymore and no longer controlled inflation as it may have once been meant to do.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    That was the Transwarp Beaming Device that dropped from the Kelvin Divergence Lockbox. These devices took you directly to the location's surface rather than to the System.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Transwarp_Beaming_Device
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Also, when episodes have a need/reason for players to converse with other NPCs - they switch to interior maps to do it. And then give you scenes like the ones in the TV episodes.

Just trying to make "filler"/non-mission Characters Standing Around Talking to waste generic travel time seems kind of pointless. (ok, there's plenty of random 'stand around talking to NPCs' you can do at stations. But that's at locations that have a purpose. Not just to twiddle thumbs while "traveling".)
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    I like Sector Space, I like the trip it takes to get from one world to another.

MY only regret, they took my favorite SS music track out, this one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGT1-nf1n3I

PLEASE, put this back in...not just on Vulcan.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    *snipped wall of text*

As pointed out several times now, there is no way for the game to determine where you are in Sector Space if you are not on said map.
    The player has literally 2 avatars that are mutually exclusive of each other.
    • Our Captain on the Ground
    • Our Ship in Space.

And the Devs themselves have said that Sector Space Navigation from the Bridge is not possible. Why? Because when on the bridge you are not the ship avatar and you are NOT on the Sector Space map.

As for your rants of "bypassing Sector Space"...
    You can already do that if you want using the Transwarp options for missions or those you've unlocked via Diplomacy DOffing.

I'm sorry to actually put a spotlight on it, but your current attitude is getting combative, and you're sounding more and more like you're wanting to dictate how others should view the game world around them based on your preferences. By disregarding what others are saying to the point of beating them over the head with your own views, you're not showing any interest in any kind of meaningful debate on the subject. You want people to conform to YOUR views. Anyone who doesn't agree must be shown the light by repeatedly beating them over the head with your own reasoning for it. Also... you're making it sound as if you're more of an expert on STO's code than the Devs themselves.

Now... in the interest of a legit, CONSTRUCTIVE debate... I will say that yes it would give interiors more functionality than they currently have.
    On the other hand, the technical limitations as brought up by the Devs themselves must be considered. Not only that... even if it was possible it would outright kill Tour the Galaxy as there would be no Sector Space to navigate for that repeatable quest and its connected Endeavor.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Transwarp Beaming Device.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    It's a social space. You can fly to other locations, and see other ships fly by to their destinations.
    It's an immersion tool - you get a feeling to where things are in relation to each other, and feel more like you're really in the world of Star Trek.
    It's also a place to find Deep Space Encounters.

You can bypass it if you don't feel in the mood for it.

I think they could add more stuff to do in Sector Space - I liked the freighters that would fly through sector space, there could be more of that. Deep Space Encounters also need to get some spice added. The biggest flaw is that you fight way too small enemy groups if you're in there alone. It's kinda boring in there with an endgame ship. And a non-endgame ship player has better things to do so then waste time there, I'd say.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    As Kiralyn pointed out above, Sector Space has a lot of interesting stuff of which newer players may not even be aware. Those who suggest abolishing it are perhaps not fully familiar with all the hidden gems out there.

I do not know if this is Chenza at court, the court of silence or Kadir beneath Mo Moteh, but I would suggest that Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra may lead to Sokath, his eyes uncovered.
    As Kiralyn pointed out above, Sector Space has a lot of interesting stuff of which newer players may not even be aware. Those who suggest abolishing it are perhaps not fully familiar with all the hidden gems out there.

Nobody is suggesting that it be abolished.

Zima and Bakor

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    edited June 2020

Isn't that what you ARE suggesting?
    You're questioning its existence and purpose, as indicated by the very title of this thread, and trying to advocate for travel between systems from the ship interior.

To me, and clearly several other people, that is suggesting you want it abolished and replaced with something else.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)

Zima and Bakor

Zima and Bakor at Tanagra (Zima and Bakor can try)
    Shaka when the walls fell (It won't work)
    Tamok… The River Tamok… In Winter! (They should just stop)

Darmok and Jalad on the ocean :wink:

• strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    for me it gives a nice feel to the world - an impression of space. I prefer to keep it.

Yea, Sector Space may have been required a lot more earlier in the game... ...yet still there is a lot to do if one chooses, from the Various Daily Patrols or System you can enter, to Tour the Galaxy, and various Small Skirmishes that sometimes spawn.

Still for me it gives as he said a nice feel to the world, and I prefer to keep it as well!
    0zxlclk.png
    strathkin wrote: »
    for me it gives a nice feel to the world - an impression of space. I prefer to keep it.

Yea, Sector Space may have been required a lot more earlier in the game... ...yet still there is a lot to do if one chooses, from the Various Daily Patrols or System you can enter, to Tour the Galaxy, and various Small Skirmishes that sometimes spawn.

Still for me it gives as he said a nice feel to the world, and I prefer to keep it as well!

AFAIK, the only way to get the daily mission for Deuterium Surplus in the Alhena system is to fly there in sector space.

This discussion has been closed.