test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is the purpose of Sector Space, again?

sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
Most missions that have a place in story progression give us the option to just transwarp straight there, eliminate the need to actually travel through sector space if we don't want to. We can, quite literally, jump to any mission start point in the galaxy instantaneously. And you know, that is consistent with what we have seen in every single Trek show or movie to date. They determine the mission, set course, and just GO. There's a brief cut to the ship going to warp and then the next scene shows them arriving at their destination... or just beaming down to some planetary location or another ship...

We used to have to actually travel to those locations physically in sector space, which at one point meant having to load into a bunch of different sector blocks, but when they merged those blocks into much larger sector space maps, load frequency decreased. And yet, for the purpose of mission content, we now no longer even have to physically travel from point A to B on the sector space map at all...

So... like the title says, what is the purpose of Sector Space, again?
"There can be no meeting of the minds between two parties
if both parties are not willing to meet in the middle."
-Ambassador Samuel J. Stone
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    for me it gives a nice feel to the world - an impression of space. I prefer to keep it.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I agree with Sheldon. The only time I TW to my mission start is when it's not in the quadrant I'm in. If it is, then I just Auto-Navigate to it.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    Sector space isn't hurting anything. Ever since it was made into quadrants instead of sector blocks, it's been a breeze.

There are some small things there. The random-location encounters, crafting material spots (nebula, abandoned ship), doff spots, etc.

I think you'd have more people complaining if there wasn't a sector space in a game where you travel the stars. There's not much to it, but it's so easy to skip it with transwarp if you want to. I kinda view it as a cosmetic feature at this point, and it's pretty :blush:
  • revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    Sector Space is where we get DOff missions . . . When it works properly
  • furyofthefugafuryofthefuga Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    Yup, as someone who came back after 7 years, I was noticing this as well.

Top speeds in sector space used to be slower, too.
    Complete endeavors, my boxes have been filled with mats for the most part.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Sector space isn't hurting anything. Ever since it was made into quadrants instead of sector blocks, it's been a breeze.

There are some small things there. The random-location encounters, crafting material spots (nebula, abandoned ship), doff spots, etc.

I think you'd have more people complaining if there wasn't a sector space in a game where you travel the stars. There's not much to it, but it's so easy to skip it with transwarp if you want to. I kinda view it as a cosmetic feature at this point, and it's pretty :blush:

is this the norm? i have been trying to fogure out how to locate maybe just mats with a few bad guys, vs the alerts with no mats.
    its been a long time since i have ventured into anything within sec space due in large part from the past issues of being sucked into stuff.
    Yeah absolutely! If you fly around sector space, keep your eye open for "Unknown Nebula" or "Abandoned Ship" blips. They're randomly located, and you just scan them like normal R&D nodes.

You have to be fairly close to them for them to show up.

is this the norm? i have been trying to fogure out how to locate maybe just mats with a few bad guys, vs the alerts with no mats.
    its been a long time since i have ventured into anything within sec space due in large part from the past issues of being sucked into stuff.
    Yeah absolutely! If you fly around sector space, keep your eye open for "Unknown Nebula" or "Abandoned Ship" blips. They're randomly located, and you just scan them like normal R&D nodes.

You have to be fairly close to them for them to show up.

Also Comets. There's comets out there too. Nebulas give you ordinary mats, Abandoned ships and comets give you uncommon/rare mats.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Doff assignments.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    There are a lot of old system patrols too that are not in the Patrol tab in the TFO menu.

People often talking about wanting more “exploration”—but there is still quite a bit to explore, if you are not too busy grinding for shinier rewards.

Of course they are not random. But with all the content in STO I could play all week and probably not repeat content, if it wasn’t for featured events and irl schedules.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Category:Starfleet_System_Patrol_missions
  • bjchiemarabjchiemara Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    Sector Space is an elaborate lobby. This is one of the reasons I've often said this game isn't an MMO, there's no persistent, active WORLD.

I've often suggested making some USE of sector space, by having random encounters appear at random locations. They could be exploration missions, rescue missions, storms to navigate, and what have you. But, I'm always ignored.

Sector space originally had random encounters called DSEs or Deep Space Encounters that was specific to each faction space.

It also had randomly generated missions at certain planets and sector unexplored areas.

It was fun back then to be able to do exploration...

These things were taken out in favor of more PEW PEW because some people don't like to think... they just want to go in, blow up stuff, then collect reward, rinse and repeat...

I miss the days where you could team up and go explore and do randomly generated missions with friends... that weren't always kill a bunch of mobs and head to sector space when done.

Would be nice if there were RAIDS where you team up with a bunch of people and the story of the RAID takes you all over the galaxy doing not only ship and ground fights but puzzles and exploring.

This game would be awesome with long raids like City of Heroes had that were 6 to 8 hours long, maybe not that long but a decent evening spent with your teammates.

This queue TRIBBLE is making the game boring.

• jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    for me it gives a nice feel to the world - an impression of space. I prefer to keep it.

Agreed. Sometimes I like to take pics/screenshots of my ship just cruising along. All while playing the McHale's Navy theme. =)
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • e3241e3241 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I would love it if the Luna class ship would have a ter6 version because I love that design but, there’s only so much you can do with it. Please let’s make it happen please!
  • furyofthefugafuryofthefuga Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    bjchiemara wrote: »
    These things were taken out in favor of more PEW PEW because some people don't like to think... they just want to go in, blow up stuff, then collect reward, rinse and repeat...

This reminds me about how I've seen threads from folks asking for the 2-3 sec interact delay with banks on the kdf side to be removed (citing that they're already gone fed side)....
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I like Sector Space so on my Miracle Worker Ships with the MACO Engines and Gamma Core slotted with 'Extensively Modified Warp Core', I can tool around at about Warp 95 when in Slipstream. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,933 Arc User
    Why even bother with space ships then? Let's just use the transporters to beam to other planets, deal with things there, then beam back to our home starbase.
    Oh, wait, that was a rejected concept for TNG...

Sector Space might seem useless for some, but without it there's no Tour, to name just one thing.
    It's an important part of the game as without it, all the planets and solar systems are just a big jumble and we don't get to see just how big space really can be.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    “Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.