test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Free Khitomer Alliance Uniform and Vanity Shield!

Comments

• shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    Anyone notice they are using the DS9 ranks for these uniforms
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    shadowkosh wrote: »

I had not noticed. Nice catch.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    Nice, thanks :)
  • dornmardornmar Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Definetly needs a colour guide!
  • claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    Already claimed mine and made an outfit on all my characters and I love it!

I only have one small problem.

"The package containing this uniform and vanity shield are in the Uniforms Tab of the C-store, on PC until June 16th. "

I suggest you remove the time limit, please.
    This uniform should be available forever for new players that join after that date.
    Or atleast keep it up for a zen cost after June 16th.
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
    Also the Klingons when you chose rank it automatically goes to DS9 rank insignia what should be done is either create new rank insignia for the alliance or allow each faction to have there own rank insignia options
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »

Yeah - those pips don't really suit the uniform in my opinion, as well as the fact they look very dated. And I find the non-Admiral ones a little high on the collar (all but two of my characters use Captain rank).

The rectangular Odyssey uniform style ones would've worked better. Or better still, let us choose between either TNG era 'round' pips or Odyssey uniform rectangular ones.

More rank options in general would have been nice. Personally, I like the Wells ranks the best outside of hte Future Imperfect, which we technically don't have ranks for outside of 4 bar Amdiral and Captain.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    It's much easier now that the Costume is an Account Unlock and the Shield goes to the Promotions Tab so you don't have to cycle through everybody before the deadline.

No more of that Worf's Sash, Beard, or whatever nonsense.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    I confess I got my hopes up when I saw the headline, I thought, "Hmmm, more Alliance ships? Weird Miranda-Bird of Prey hybrids?" Alas.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Nice to see uniforms that are not mostly black with very little to no colors. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    Official colour codes please! Joining the chorus on that one.

Overall, really like them!
    I have been told the person who does the codes is tied up with other things right now so no color codes as of now unfortunately
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    Love this idea, but could somebody tell me what are the proper colors for this item and what pants to wear with is?
    An image with actual color data would be very helpful.
    :)
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • junglestreakerjunglestreaker Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Is there an official color guide?
  • dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    I have been told the person who does the codes is tied up with other things right now so no color codes as of now unfortunately

*points up*

No official code yet but this one looks pretty close to the art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yzd-uZBmIg
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    If you bring up the picture on a phone or a tablet and put it near the screen as you color it, you should be able to come close till an official list of colors comes out (have done this before and it does work. just need a little patience.)
  • gulremalgulremal Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    Thanks for free stuff!
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    Thank you for the freebies!!!​​
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    For those who want an unofficial color list to start off with until we get an official one, here is what I've come up with so far (best attempt to match the picture):

Uniform - Jacket Loose

Upper: SF/KE Alliance S19 S10 Department (D11 Eng, C3 Sci, B4 Tac) A8
    Hands: Bare
    Badge: SF/KE Alliance D15 (can use S22 if you get the channel bug with other parts) S10

Uniform - Pants Tucked High

Feet: SD/KE Alliance T6 T6 T6
    Lower: SF/KE Alliance S7 S11 T5 R12
    Belt: SF/KE Alliance T4 A4 D8 T18

Hope this helps!
  • umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 747 Arc User
    I'm very happy to see the Khitomer Alliance uniforms come out.

However, I also hope that this "formal uniform" is one iteration out of several, as I find it appeals less than that its competitors. It feels and I hope it is) a stopgap solution until something better comes around.

My critique:
    • There's a degree of clipping around where the top/lower sections come together;
    • Not skirt-friendly;
    • I'm not a fan of the really thick collar. I know it's a klingon inspiration, but the KDF collarpieces were always optional.
    • The shoulder-collar areas jutting out mid-shoulder-width feel awkward to me.
    • The use of the banded pattern seen on Klingon TNG uniforms is clever, but on female characters chest proportions play havok on said pattern. It... just doesn't work. (under armpit area melding into side-of-pants area is nice, though)
    • Someone on Z-brush seems to have baked folds on the bump map, over the seemingly rigid feeling diagonal bands (or at least, given their inspirational origin, I expect to be more rigid). The result is... wierd.
    • I find the half-shoulder front/half-shoulder back parts of the uniform to look very loopsided.
    • There are some inspirations that appear to come from the Jupiter uniform (especially below the waist), but they don't seem to be the more flattering parts.

It took the Sierra uniforms, and the Jupiter uniforms before Cryptic's ArtDevs could reach the well rounded appeal of the Odyssey uniforms. About the same goes for a majority of the Alliance uniforms (Rom-Fed, Rom-KDF, Jem-Fed, Jem-KDF). I'm glad some are very pleased with this, and they can... but I feel like this could have been better. Like this needs more work.

For reference, the allegiance uniforms:
    Romulan_Republic_choose_faction.png?version=37daf38df6caf0d8188537ee97a8b6ee
    u0hTN2m.png

Now, my advice for future iterations:
    • The Federation transporter animation has them tap their combadge, but for the others, they tap on their wrist. In the interest of making an STO uniform for STO, I would recommend devising a combadge that would go on the wrist, or something of instrumentation on the wrist slot. This was something the Romulan Allegiance uniforms did very well. That way, the Feds get their chest combadge, the Rom/KDF get the combadge on the wrists... and they all look consistent.
    • If you want diagonal elements, you should probably avoid having them go over the chest of female characters to avoid them going all awkwardly wavy/curvy. Both the Rom-KDF and Jem-KDF uniforms use have this downward-pointed triangle shape which has always proven flattering (and the Romulans have peaked shoulders, which I always thought were "the bomb").
    • Following on the above point, I think an unified shoulder look pointing down would be better than the half-and-half shoulders we have currently going on.
    • Plan. For. Skirts.
    • Whomever tailors for the Alliance would no doubt want something that has an unified look, but works with all the factions. To me, this calls for customizations. Starfleet likes their pretty streamlined uniform, so, you could take inspiration from sleek biker-style outfits like the Sierra 5 uniform, or something that passes like sleek businesswear. However, to the Klingons, those are "children clothes", so, add to that a rugged leather jacket of the type you see on the Romulan-Klingon uniform - you could even have the option to have it either closed or open at the front (if a former Starfleeter still wanted to show off his sleeker uniform). Sleeker uniform could have a skirt, or leggings. The Klingons could appreciate extra armors (such as those pauldrons on the Jem-KDF outfit, etc), like a plastron, or big tough boots - all of which a former Starfleeter could still enjoy on an away mission (perhaps the armor could look klingon-inspired, but the materials could resemble the tactical Discovery vest more).

I could go on, but the sad truth is that I'm not a concept artist or an art director. i can only go so far. What I can convey is that I'm very enthused about the Khitomer Alliance as an idea, but this uniform design feels like a fruit plucked from a low-hanging branch. This could be so-much-cooler. Cryptic ArtDevs, please, you're making me see more of the future in the Prime timeline and your Khitomer Alliance is a huge breath of fresh air to me; please, I want to see more on this; I hope you can go further.

Thank you. :)
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    danqueller wrote: »
    For those who want an unofficial color list to start off with until we get an official one, here is what I've come up with so far (best attempt to match the picture):

Uniform - Jacket Loose

Badge: SF/KE Alliance D15 (can use S22 if you get the channel bug with other parts) S10

Hope this helps!

I like you help. I also found this today.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Alliance_Khitomer_Crew_Uniform
    Alliance_Khitomer_Crew_Uniform.png?version=78790649d4db8cd1eaad7d67723ce74d
    You help has more details. Thanks. :smiley:
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • captainrc1captainrc1 Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    BTW, about those faction patches for the shoulders...

Is the Cardassian Union still considered part of the Dominion? Because if not, then shouldn't there be a Cardassian patch for Cardassian captains and bridge officers?
    zv66x44hmssm.jpg
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    captainrc1 wrote: »
    BTW, about those faction patches for the shoulders...

Is the Cardassian Union still considered part of the Dominion? Because if not, then shouldn't there be a Cardassian patch for Cardassian captains and bridge officers?

I believe they parted ways after the Dominion War, as seen in the DS9 Finale. We know the Breen did, as mentioned in a few in game episodes. And in the in-game Gamma Quadrant chapter arc, there's a reference to them joining the Alliance as themselves and not as Federation members, since they never did that either.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    My take on the AFS... no thank you. There is no 'Alliance government' to conduct oversight of such an agency and the AFS only serves to undermine the operations of Starfleet, the KDF, and the other existing services by diverting resources and manpower. Now it is plain to see that the eventual goal is for an Alliance government and the AFS to supersede those of the Federation, Klingons, etc. I oppose this restructuring. I find it to be too radical a departure from the established institutions we have come to recognize as integral with Star Trek. If the objective is to create a government based on mutual cooperation and defense, with all members subscribing to core principles of personal rights and liberties, then it already exists. It's called the Federation. I find the attempt to create a bigger Federation, just with a different name, not only redundant, but a slap in the face to the Federation that already exists.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Uniform - Jacket Loose

Hope this helps!

This came out looking really good.. thank you!
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited June 2020

Looks good but, well I don't know if it's just me, but my lower only has 3 colour slots, not 4... Sounds like Cardassian influence to me.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    My Fed-Romulan only had three spots in the Lower too.

Thanks for the colors.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    > @wakeroberts said:
    > My take on the AFS... no thank you. There is no 'Alliance government' to conduct oversight of such an agency and the AFS only serves to undermine the operations of Starfleet, the KDF, and the other existing services by diverting resources and manpower. Now it is plain to see that the eventual goal is for an Alliance government and the AFS to supersede those of the Federation, Klingons, etc. I oppose this restructuring. I find it to be too radical a departure from the established institutions we have come to recognize as integral with Star Trek. If the objective is to create a government based on mutual cooperation and defense, with all members subscribing to core principles of personal rights and liberties, then it already exists. It's called the Federation. I find the attempt to create a bigger Federation, just with a different name, not only redundant, but a slap in the face to the Federation that already exists.

Your right. It is redundant. But I think STO is referencing the ENT episode “Azati Prime” where Daniels tells Archer the Klingons and Federation plants join in a “powerful alliance.”

Of course, that assumes Klingons are not already a member of the Federation.

In TNG "Samaritan Snare", Wesley says the Klingons are Federation members:

PICARD: Several friends and I were on leave at Farspace Starbase Earhart. It was little more than a galactic outpost in those days.

WESLEY: Was this before the Klingons joined the Federation?

PICARD: Thats right—but shut up, Wesley! I am telling a story.

(I took some liberty with the last line)
    Post edited by qultuq on
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    My take on the AFS... no thank you. There is no 'Alliance government' to conduct oversight of such an agency and the AFS only serves to undermine the operations of Starfleet, the KDF, and the other existing services by diverting resources and manpower. Now it is plain to see that the eventual goal is for an Alliance government and the AFS to supersede those of the Federation, Klingons, etc. I oppose this restructuring. I find it to be too radical a departure from the established institutions we have come to recognize as integral with Star Trek. If the objective is to create a government based on mutual cooperation and defense, with all members subscribing to core principles of personal rights and liberties, then it already exists. It's called the Federation. I find the attempt to create a bigger Federation, just with a different name, not only redundant, but a slap in the face to the Federation that already exists.

And yet, with the Federation's tarnished history in allowing the population of Romulus, Remus, and other nearby systems to perish by terminating the rescue operations headed by Admiral Picard, that slap in the face has already been self-inflicted. And again, when the Federation failed to detect the Undine infiltration of the Gorn and went to war with the Klingon Empire rather than listen to what the Empire was saying. The Federation is not perfect, and it has had several major mistakes that have cast doubt on their dedication to their principles. True, they have worked hard to correct those errors since, but those still burn in the minds of those outside the Federation, and make them hesitant to believe in it.

With the Alliance, that history is not present. As the Klingons and the Romulans are equal partners, and the base of this new entity is the Jenolan Dyson Sphere in the Delta Quadrant, none of the past of any of the former enemies comes attached to it, though all carry that with them. Instead, what the Delta Alliance achieved and what it stands for can overcome the grudges and rivalries of the past. In that way, someday, once those who have been within the Alliance can learn to see what the Federation is supposed to stand for and decide if it has truly corrected the flaws within may choose to accept the Federation way and join it. A Klingon can be part of the Alliance and not have to face the stigma of 'surrendering to the Federation', while a Romulan can be accepted without facing the concerns of their fellows that they are abandoning the culture of their ancestors.

However, the Alliance does not replace the governments of the Beta Quadrant, nor are they yielding anything like a significant portion of their fleets. Each is still responsible for their areas of control within the galaxy. The Alliance is building on top of that, and offering a force of unaligned ships for dealing with issues that affect all of the governments, and to which each can accept within their borders without political reservations. Remember again, the Alliance is based mainly in the Delta Quadrant and the resources to build the Alliance are found there, not so much in the Beta Quadrant.

That is my take on the AFS.
This discussion has been closed.