What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Warp in/out animation & beam up animation in zen store

13»

Comments

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Please lets not fight over Fallout 4 mods here they're kind of off-topic anyway as STO most likely has a different codebase and thus would interact with mods very differently (if at all).
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    Bad idea. IMO if they ever dabble in the warp/beam independent from faction department they should tie it to the ships. Fly a standard modern Starfleet ship? Standard modern Starfleet beam/warp. Fly a Romulan lockbox gunboat? Romulan beam & warp. etc. No matter the faction.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Honestly starting to sound like a conspiracy theory on why Cryptic won't do things now. Claiming they purposefully gimped the Foundry? Players made some pretty amazing stories in the Foundry. The issue was that it broke EVERY TIME they updated the game. They tried to save it. They even said that they tried for MONTHS. Just because their announcement came after the fact they accepted it was going to end doesn't mean they just gave up on it. It just means that they had been working behind the scenes without us knowing. Kinda like how not everything they do is visible to us in the first place.

We do not have a window on everyday operations at Cryptic. We are not privy to every little bug fix or piece of art or storyboarding they're doing. We get some ideas based on what they reveal, but they are not under any obligation to allow the playerbase to look over their shoulder 24/7. They tried. They admitted they tried and failed to find a solution. Its not some conspiracy they cooked up just to kill the Foundry. STO's code is spegetti. You tug on one thing, something else breaks. Happened all the time years ago where they'd fix one thing, the Borg would break. Anyone remember the super Emergency to Engines Spheres? Yea... that was when they fixed something unrelated to the Borg. Anyone remember the Season 7 Accolade Bug that prevented some characters from getting their MACO costume unlock? Took them a year to figure that one out.

There are nuances to coding that the average user (most forumites) will never understand. Myself included. I don't know why we got the Super EPtE Spheres or why it took a year to fix a major bug. Some people think its an easy fix, like flipping a switch. Its not. Its almost rocket science AND brain surgery, with a side of astrophysics! Its a whole different language.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    revanmichaels#6727 revanmichaels Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    Personally I just wish they would fix the bugs from the older warps/beams. Half my KDF ships have the warp lines and warp tunnel inverted and it’s bad enough that it’s one of the reasons I’ve quit playing KDF.

And on my non disco Feds they regularly get dismemberment on beam out. For example I have a betaziod with a beard and every time he beams his hair style changes and beard beams out a few seconds before the rest of him. But I have a disco toon and I’ve just adjusted his face to pretty much be the same the betaziod. Same hairstyle and beard, but when he beams it’s all at once not bits and pieces at a time.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    We cannot have a STO like that, because Cryptic has arbitrarily decided that all roads must lead to the same destination, with everyone on the same team, but cannot be bothered to make the game systemically reflect that narrative.
    It is by no means arbitrary. It is for the exact same reason other MMOs do the exact same thing. It isn't technically possible to keep doing wholly separate faction stories for a game's entire lifespan, nor does it make narrative sense to do so. Attempting to do so is just trying to keep 4-5 different games running at once, and no singular team can do that. Not even Blizzard for all their money and manpower can do it with WoW.

Stop intentionally misrepresenting the situation, it does nothing but invalidate any argument you try to make.
    WoW is actually good example here. Lets go by major content batches (or expansions when talking post-vanilla), in Vanilla storylines merge for good at Ahn'Qiraj though even then 90% of the end game content was shared with only the quest text being different, Burning Crusade, all group content was merged as well as end game storylines, Wrath of the Lich King same as Burning Crusade, Cataclysm had some faction specific storylines but again the main storyline merged at end game. Mists of Pandaria again had some faction specific storylines but merged at end game even though the final boss was the Horde faction leader. Warlords of Draenor Storylines essentially merged at Hellfire Citadel. Legion had mostly merged storylines from day 1 with the faction specific content being a side story. Even Battle For Azeroth that was billed as "faction conflict" has merged storylines from Mechagon onwards.

If Blizzard (who has signifigantly greater resources then Cryptic) merged storylines for end game and has done so since the first version of WoW (hell even Warcraft 3 had 3 of the 4 playable factions storylines merged for the end (Scourge remained seperate)).

100% seperate storylines aren't really a thing for MMO due to development costs (you'd have to develop 2 games for all intents and purposes).
  • Options
    revanmichaels#6727 revanmichaels Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    Holy TRIBBLE, in the great Q’s name. I’m beaming out now. I’m not even going to try and add my 2 cents to this soon to be locked tread again.
  • Options
    Since when did Blizzard have anything to do with STO?

And as mentioned god knows how many times... You'd basically have to rewrite some core Code to eliminate the red/blue faction allignment system. Which would break god knows how many things.

In short, it really isn't feasable, or worth the effort. Game works as is. Why risk making it implode by gutting something that's been in it since Day 1?

Also you can't compare WoW to STO because they're two different animals run by two different sized companies. Blizzard has mountains more money to throw around than Cryptic. Its like comparing the old Westwood to modern day EA.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Since when did Blizzard have anything to do with STO?

And as mentioned god knows how many times... You'd basically have to rewrite some core Code to eliminate the red/blue faction allignment system. Which would break god knows how many things.

In short, it really isn't feasable, or worth the effort. Game works as is. Why risk making it implode by gutting something that's been in it since Day 1?

Also you can't compare WoW to STO because they're two different animals run by two different sized companies. Blizzard has mountains more money to throw around than Cryptic. Its like comparing the old Westwood to modern day EA.

The point with WoW was that even Blizzard with its resources doesn't really do truly seperate storylines, dispite them stating that the "Alliance/Horde" conflict is at the heart of Warcraft. So why would Cryptic with fraction of the resources Blizzard has for WoW do unique and seperate storylines for different factions.

EDIT:I'm using Blizzard as an example as WoW was and might still be the largest and most popular MMO so they have way more resources to work with then Cryptic, so if they won't do something it's a fair guess to assume Cryptic isn't doing that just because they're lazy.
  • Options
    Now I'm confused.
    Are you admitting that Cryptic can't change the Red vs Blue setup or...

I'm lost now.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Now I'm confused.
    Are you admitting that Cryptic can't change the Red vs Blue setup or...

I'm lost now.

I never argued against it, what I saying is that if Blizzard with its greater resources (and even stronger Red/Blue split after all J'mpok never depopulated a major UFP system, while the Warchief of the Horde did destroy a major Alliance city) doesn't do fully seperate storylines, it doesn't mean that unified storylines in STO mean the removal of the faction split, but rather the industry standard to effectively use what resources are avaiable.
  • Options
    Its 1s and 0s. They can do everything and anything. Even the things they are adamant about they can't do. And I'm pretty sure if beam animation would be a simple 30 min task with no risk to mess a lot of other things up they would something like tie it to ships; probably even followed by an ship transporter visual slot that could be filled with alternate effects from all kinds of sources; including MTX ones. But since it is deep digged into the faction system its most likely a very demanding task which has potential to mess up other very demanding parts of the game for something that ain't even is a bug. And considering that STO is already choking on all kinds of bugs like no other MMO I have encountered they really should focus onto something else.

Well... unless its actually a risk free 30min task ;)
  • Options
    Its 1s and 0s. They can do everything and anything. Even the things they are adamant about they can't do. And I'm pretty sure if beam animation would be a simple 30 min task with no risk to mess a lot of other things up they would something like tie it to ships; probably even followed by an ship transporter visual slot that could be filled with alternate effects from all kinds of sources; including MTX ones. But since it is deep digged into the faction system its most likely a very demanding task which has potential to mess up other very demanding parts of the game for something that ain't even is a bug. And considering that STO is already choking on all kinds of bugs like no other MMO I have encountered they really should focus onto something else.

Well Cryptic has never said "it's literally impossible to do" in fact they're adamant that it's just 1s and 0s and everything can in theory be changed, their argument has always been it's not worth the cost and effort to do so.
  • Options
    spiritborn wrote: »

Well Cryptic has never said "it's literally impossible to do" in fact they're adamant that it's just 1s and 0s and everything can in theory be changed, their argument has always been it's not worth the cost and effort to do so.

Yeah, kinda the point I tried to make :)
  • Options
    I never argued against it, what I saying is that if Blizzard with its greater resources (and even stronger Red/Blue split after all J'mpok never depopulated a major UFP system, while the Warchief of the Horde did destroy a major Alliance city) doesn't do fully seperate storylines, it doesn't mean that unified storylines in STO mean the removal of the faction split, but rather the industry standard to effectively use what resources are avaiable.

Guess I'm getting posters mixed up as we had one advocating for removing the Red/Blue system.
    Also... if I remember correctly, Garrosh was a warmonger who used a WMD on Theramore. Not even Thrall would have allowed that as he is far more honorable.
    Problem with WoW is that they have had how many warchiefs over the years? Always seems to alternate between respectful, honorable leader, and warmongering crazy leader.

I think even the Klingons would be dizzy from that.
  • Options

Guess I'm getting posters mixed up as we had one advocating for removing the Red/Blue system.
    Also... if I remember correctly, Garrosh was a warmonger who used a WMD on Theramore. Not even Thrall would have allowed that as he is far more honorable.
    Problem with WoW is that they have had how many warchiefs over the years? Always seems to alternate between respectful, honorable leader, and warmongering crazy leader.

I think even the Klingons would be dizzy from that.
    Horde had "only" 4 warchiefs during the timespan of WoW Trall/Go'el, Garrosh, Vol'jin and Sylvanas Winrunner. Blackhand, Ogrim Doomhammer and Nerzhul pre-date WoW (being the warchiefs during Warcraft 1 and 2). Though I was referring to Burning of Teldrassil when I spoke about destroying a major city (which was done when Sylvanas was warchief).

That said WoW lore is off-topic.
This discussion has been closed.