test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Age of Discovery - Prequel Mission?

theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
Is there any kind of prequel mission there? Both the Fed & KDF heads talk to my characters like that J'ula and her goons is something my character is well aware of. Well... how? And where? I mean yeah, there is the (not played it yet) DIS subfaction which probably has some new tutorials regarding that; but how does every other factions characters already got well aware of this?

One mission arc ends with the Founder world being saved and then out of the blue this thing I never heard about as it is common knowledge; it just feels there is a mission missing :/
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    furyofthefugafuryofthefuga Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    I feel like that with a lot of their missions....
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Yes, the haphazard approach Crypic has employed when it comes to new missions lately is very disjointed feeling. There is not a good flow, and I blame the reactionary jump-on-the-new-Trek-show-bandwaggon mentality is largely to blame. The J'ula arc is particularly bad in how it just comes out of nowhere (the story is also very bad, but that's off topic).
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    as a starfleet admiral, or even a commander of a starship, you would be very aware of major threats. Do you really want the Devs to implement having to read intel briefs before you start a new mission?
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well, they do make us wait a minute or so before a TFO starts for Mission Briefings and such.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    ltminns wrote: »
    Well, they do make us wait a minute or so before a TFO starts for Mission Briefings and such.
    Also, as a graduate of Starfleet Academy, you're assumed to have a pretty fair grounding in Starfleet history, including the events at Starbase One during the Second Klingon War. Your character is supposed to know who J'Ula was, and therefore why her sudden appearance here in the 25th century is a matter of concern. (And like Minns says, you should have read the briefing. :smile: )
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    as a starfleet admiral, or even a commander of a starship, you would be very aware of major threats. Do you really want the Devs to implement having to read intel briefs before you start a new mission?

They already do that with the mission introduction text. I just want some coherent context. Everything up till there has mostly a good flow. When a new threat emerges for a story arc you either already had a taste in a previous arcs mission or you see why its becoming a thing at the beginning of the arc. The first AoD mission is like you started the 2nd mission of any other arc and skipped the first one.

I'm about to do them a 2nd time now with my KDF main. I already had that disconnect back when I did them the 1st time with my SF main; but waved it off since I just wanted to play and not waste time. And no, I do not think most of the missions itself are bad. Sure, definitely not on the high polish of other arcs and I remember I did had a lot of "Next time I'll catch you without plot armor!!!1" moments but they where overall quite ok. I always do like the idea of bridging all the different trek ideas and Cryptic always shows that they did their homework in trek lore.

Its just the overall mission flow in these new arcs, and especially the above mentioned introduction, leaves a lot to be desired.

Well... ok... and these glorified patrol missions that are sold as story arc missions and on top wastefully voice acted by Anthony Rapp... I cringed a lot; they really had that man voac freaking patrol missions instead of something more tangible? But I'm digressing.

Overall I think all it needs are one or two missions placed before the current 1st mission that are for non AoD characters to get whats happening; to get why this weird looking group of Klingons are a thing all of the moment and why some stuff happened back when spaceships where made of wood are a relevant now.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    With the J'ula it's best to split it into 2 sections first is the missions set in the 2250s which for non-AoD toons are hologramic recreations (thus J'ula is aware of your even though she technically shouldn't be) and again for non-AoD toons that's part of the intel gathering efforts for House Mo'kai.

Second part is the 2411 part and there the player is familiar with J'ula thanks to having done the intel gathering before hand and J'ula would be familiar with the player due them being a minor celeberity thanks to how many times they've saved the quadrant from threats (bare in mind that as far as the story is conserned only 1 PC ever exists) it would be stupid of her to ignore the threat of the player character.
This discussion has been closed.