test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Characters being Overloaded with Every single mission

mauiman186#9653 mauiman186 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
Okay, I am just going to cut to the chase. I have been noticing that as I have completed the Tutorial mission with a new Character whether it be a KDF, a Fed or a ROM Character, it doesn't matter what it is. We are getting practically every single mission under the sun being jammed down our throats something fierce.

Now, as I am a Veteran player who has played for some time now, I have been able to just roll with it and just get to the parts that will benefit me greatly and just go through like how I would have normally done before this all started happening about almost a year ago or so.

But, to a very New player whose never played this game ever in their life and they want to start, could easily be overwhelmed and become highly frustrated with it and just rage quit and never look back as they would have a bad taste in their mouth. Now, I don't know if there is any official Ferengi Rules of Acquisition about this one. But A Frustrated Customer is a customer lost.

Please I implore you at Cryptic to resolve this and help with ending the confusion which could potentially cause loss of a untapped player base.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Another huge problem that I and others have brought up numerous times is that there are several missions references and triggers to old and removed content. Some new players have spent considerable time trying to find Starbase 24 and the Big Dig and so forth, because the old mission triggers are still there.

Also the storyline of the game makes no sense for a new player, since most of it has been butchered away and in general moved around.

So for new players this game is very confusing, that being said. Star Trek Online does not have the quality or the gameplay to stand on its own, if this was a generic space sci-fi MMO it would have died hard and fast years ago.

The only thing keeping the game going is the Star Trek theme and license, so new fans will be attracted to the Star Trek aspect of things. And most of them will probably be able to muddle through the things, but for new players looking for a new space MMO and have no idea about Star Trek, they're going to have a hard time with this game.
  • Options
    furyofthefugafuryofthefuga Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    I've noticed all of this as well and agreed on all points.
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    Not 100% sure, but from what you describe you have auto hail turned on. Turning this off will stop being bombarded with this or that mission.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    eazzie wrote: »
    Not 100% sure, but from what you describe you have auto hail turned on. Turning this off will stop being bombarded with this or that mission.

The problem with turning off auto hail is that it can be really helpful for a new player to have the next mission in the sequence they are working on auto hail them, instead of having to search for it in the list of available missions.

A related issue is that (at least on Xbox) the mission journal does not update very fast after completing a mission. I recently brought up a new character and I was getting very frustrated with the fact that sometimes I would have to wait several minutes or even log out and back in to get the next mission in sequence to show as available. Auto hail is a way around this problem.

I think once issue is that missions are no longer level gated. Back when they were, a new player would not be getting hails for the Lukari missions when still only level 5.