test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Love this Red-Alert Event, love to see it offered a bit more...

strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
I love this latest event, or would love to see a Red Alerts, offered up alongside Patrols in their own TAB, or at least offering Red-Alert Weekends a bit more often, not just for one aggressor, but offering more choices to those who you want to help defend against.

PLUS: Red-Alert's have a lot of accolades, that can be linked to earning them, so I welcome the opportunity to run them a bit more often! Some have 5 different Boss to defeat others have 10, and you can honestly run Red-Alerts, 25-70x trying to earn them all. Though earning the Borg Kills, or Tholian, or others can also take quite awhile to complete as some require 500+. So I'm thankful for EVENTS like this as it will help me earn several accolades at least on a few characters!

Still I try to focus on what works well, and remain hopefully they will listen, or revise all Accolades are earnable for Red-Alerts regardless how or when they are queued or launched. o:)

@ambassadorkael#6946
0zxlclk.png
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2020
    The larger issue is something different, the stark damage exerted by a few DPS giants.

Still I certainly listening to everything your saying, and believe this issue would be solved by offering up Advanced or Elite versions of the Red-Alerts as well! By scaling the Marks earned from 35 up to perhaps 50 for Advanced, and perhaps 65 & a single REP token for the Elite versions. It would also allow people to play with those more in their level or league. Then it's simply a choice each user would make based on what offered, and their individual abilities, or what they or their friends require!

I mean sure, I have all Epic Gear, with several good or great traits, and can still be challenged at times by Red Alerts, specifically the Tactical Cubes, they were never designed to approach or engage by yourself. Still having said that I'm also surprised how quickly several Red-Alerts finish, I see maybe 3-4 cube area's cleaned as best I can tell, in addition to the Tactical Cube, before Vessel # of Ten Spawns. One might think it require far more like 7-8 cube area's cleansed and surrounding enemy, in addition to the Tactical Cube, before the final boss spawns... ...but that's just my own opinion, but also denote I have all Epic Gear. So I do think Cryptic does review this, and what were seeing now is several high DPS players doing this event, which also can incorrectly influence our perceptions. Many new players are going to be starting with Mk XII to Mk XIV Gear from Rare to Ultra, and haven't earned nearly as many traits or reputations as well.

So they need to keep Normal Red-Alerts or Queues at a lower level, to not scare away new or returning players, as that wouldn't be in anyone's best interest.

<3
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I wouldn't mind them putting the RAs in their own tab and keeping them there and up and running, like the new Patrols.

Like it or not, it's one of the only ways for some people to get Competitive marks (including me).
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    I agree. This is a nice event and I would love to see more mini campaigns like this.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    I like the fact that they are short. So much of the content is long and feels stretched out more so than it should be. Short missions for a small amount of marks really can go a long way in choosing whether or not I want to run a few to level up the Rep systems or run one thing for triple the marks but feel burnt out on running it or another again to run more than one Rep System at a time.

This is also why I like the Winter Event more so than the Summer Event. The grind for the daily for the Winter Event is much shorter and more fun than the longer repetitive Summer Event daily.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Whilst I do enjoy them, some of them haven't adapted very well at all to the powercreep in the game.

Tholian Alert, for example, has to be a contender for 'shortest mission in the game'. I haven't played on that lasted more than one minute yet. Disappointing really as I used to love Tholian Alert, but it simply doesn't last long enough to enjoy anymore.

And Borg Red Alert? I remember when it was challenging enough that you could play this and not even see the B'ger/Unimatrix ship if your team wasn't decent.

man I used to love these 2 - especially the tholian. I would try to get in a solo instance. You're right. They really need a buff. I almost never say that about anything, but give those poor spiders some help.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• furyofthefugafuryofthefuga Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    strathkin wrote: »
    The larger issue is something different, the stark damage exerted by a few DPS giants.

Still I certainly listening to everything your saying, and believe this issue would be solved by offering up Advanced or Elite versions of the Red-Alerts as well! By scaling the Marks earned from 35 up to perhaps 50 for Advanced, and perhaps 65 & a single REP token for the Elite versions. It would also allow people to play with those more in their level or league. Then it's simply a choice each user would make based on what offered, and their individual abilities, or what they or their friends require!

I mean sure, I have all Epic Gear, with several good or great traits, and can still be challenged at times by Red Alerts, specifically the Tactical Cubes, they were never designed to approach or engage by yourself. Still having said that I'm also surprised how quickly several Red-Alerts finish, I see maybe 3-4 cube area's cleaned as best I can tell, in addition to the Tactical Cube, before Vessel # of Ten Spawns. One might think it require far more like 7-8 cube area's cleansed and surrounding enemy, in addition to the Tactical Cube, before the final boss spawns... ...but that's just my own opinion, but also denote I have all Epic Gear. So I do think Cryptic does review this, and what were seeing now is several high DPS players doing this event, which also can incorrectly influence our perceptions. Many new players are going to be starting with Mk XII to Mk XIV Gear from Rare to Ultra, and haven't earned nearly as many traits or reputations as well.

So they need to keep Normal Red-Alerts or Queues at a lower level, to not scare away new or returning players, as that wouldn't be in anyone's best interest.

<3

I think they've always required 4-5 "groups" to be cleared in order to summon the unimatrix. The issue, now, is that there are people so powerful that they're able to clear a whole group, solo, in a single firing cycle.

I would also beg to say it's more than a "few" that have a lot of power. I ran several RAs yesterday, each time it had a completely different set of people, and I was the only one that actually "struggled" to kill things in less than 5 secs. Each one was completed in 2 minutes, tops? Though I do acknowledge that there's probably been a few nerfs to content over the years, too.

I definitely am not advocating "increasing" the difficulty of normal RAs with what I'm about to say, and while yes, adding Advanced and Elite versions may help, they're not a solution, either. Take this past event as an example. I always ran the space normal queues for it. Out of the maybe... 25?... times that I ran it, I can honestly say only 4 did not have 2-3 players in it that where powerful enough to where the TFO was a cake walk (maybe not "they could have solo'd it" powerful (though I did see a few of them), but definitely powerful enough that a normal queue was too low for them). Other's experiences may have differed, but that was mine.

So, yeah, advanced and elite options may spread it out, but there are still going to be plenty of powerful people that are just going to queue normal cause all they care about is the event progression (or any other number of reasons). This, unfortunately, doesn't make things very fun to me, anymore, though that is just my opinion.

Cryptic, unfortunately, has already "let the genie out of the bottle". There's no putting it back, now. :/
    jcsww wrote: »
    I like the fact that they are short. So much of the content is long and feels stretched out more so than it should be. Short missions for a small amount of marks really can go a long way in choosing whether or not I want to run a few to level up the Rep systems or run one thing for triple the marks but feel burnt out on running it or another again to run more than one Rep System at a time.

This is also why I like the Winter Event more so than the Summer Event. The grind for the daily for the Winter Event is much shorter and more fun than the longer repetitive Summer Event daily.

To be fair, I think there's a 10 minute timer on these, anyway. If you can't beat it in 10 minutes, then you fail (which is something that actually used to happen quite often). I don't think <10 minutes is that long for something of this nature.
    I think they've always required 4-5 "groups" to be cleared in order to summon the unimatrix.

It's four groups to clear to summon the Unamatrix. I've run it enough over the past two days to remember that.

I've been in groups where I'm the least powerful one there and groups where everyone was about the same as me. I've only gotten hit with an AFK once this morning because I couldn't get enough damage in, plus the Unamatrix was dead just before I reached it. I just shrugged and did some patrols since I was also leveling some ships he has access to so he could build up some traits.

While the patrols are still better for that, it still didn't take too awful long to run any ship masteries up. I would get one level with each playthrough and maybe two or three for the final one.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    echatty wrote: »
    I think they've always required 4-5 "groups" to be cleared in order to summon the unimatrix.

It's four groups to clear to summon the Unamatrix. I've run it enough over the past two days to remember that.

I've been in groups where I'm the least powerful one there and groups where everyone was about the same as me. I've only gotten hit with an AFK once this morning because I couldn't get enough damage in, plus the Unamatrix was dead just before I reached it. I just shrugged and did some patrols since I was also leveling some ships he has access to so he could build up some traits.

While the patrols are still better for that, it still didn't take too awful long to run any ship masteries up. I would get one level with each playthrough and maybe two or three for the final one.

Thanks. It's been about 7 years for me, so I couldn't remember the exact number of groups (and the RAs I've been in have gone too fast).

I'm running with a T5, all very rare mk XII gear. 7 years ago, while it wasn't top of the line, it was still pretty darn good and was more than able to hold its own.

Now, with the increases in rarity, mark levels, and the mastery stats for T5U and up on top of the already better ship stats, I feel more like someone running around in a T4 with all green mk X gear (under the old system). Even then I think that still stacked up better.... :/

<3

I think they've always required 4-5 "groups" to be cleared in order to summon the unimatrix. The issue, now, is that there are people so powerful that they're able to clear a whole group, solo, in a single firing cycle.

I would also beg to say it's more than a "few" that have a lot of power. I ran several RAs yesterday, each time it had a completely different set of people, and I was the only one that actually "struggled" to kill things in less than 5 secs. Each one was completed in 2 minutes, tops? Though I do acknowledge that there's probably been a few nerfs to content over the years, too.

I definitely am not advocating "increasing" the difficulty of normal RAs with what I'm about to say, and while yes, adding Advanced and Elite versions may help, they're not a solution, either. Take this past event as an example. I always ran the space normal queues for it. Out of the maybe... 25?... times that I ran it, I can honestly say only 4 did not have 2-3 players in it that where powerful enough to where the TFO was a cake walk (maybe not "they could have solo'd it" powerful (though I did see a few of them), but definitely powerful enough that a normal queue was too low for them). Other's experiences may have differed, but that was mine.

So, yeah, advanced and elite options may spread it out, but there are still going to be plenty of powerful people that are just going to queue normal cause all they care about is the event progression (or any other number of reasons). This, unfortunately, doesn't make things very fun to me, anymore, though that is just my opinion.

Cryptic, unfortunately, has already "let the genie out of the bottle". There's no putting it back, now. :/

To be fair, I think there's a 10 minute timer on these, anyway. If you can't beat it in 10 minutes, then you fail (which is something that actually used to happen quite often). I don't think <10 minutes is that long for something of this nature.

As far as I know, the timer hasn't been there for ages. You might prefer a longer event, but I'm sure I am not the only one who appreciates the quickness of these. The game does need a variety of both and the longer content seems to be in more of an abundance than anything else.
    edited May 2020
    ^LOL, I've been in that situation too, where I barely get shots off at the pickle before it goes poof. Then with the lag I've had today I would hold my breath when the choice marks take a second or two to pop up for me. And I'm flying T6 ships with Mk XV weapons and gear. He has been swapping the ships out though so he can kill two birds with one stone and level some masteries. I'm putting him into ships he has access to so he can run up the masteries, but it looks like the Jupiter might be his go-to ship.

Although his T5-U Galaxy is a pretty tough ship and held its own in there too with its Mk XV weapons and stuff.

I've been running it nonstop this morning to get Chris several days worth of marks so now all I have to do is run it enough to top the low ones off every day.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    I've had fun with all the RA's available at the same time. Been enjoyable to see how my builds compare to other players' ships. I'm pleasantly surprised my stuff seems to be on a par with some of them. Actually failed a Tzenkethi TFO yesterday. Got pumped up going after the big ships in my T6 Miranda (USS Not KHAAANNN) and forgot about the Protomatter Torpedoes. One sneaked by, "And we're done!". Oops. Haven't played this particular RA in a very long time. But you've all heard that excuse way too much from me.

I like this Event. I'm glad Cryptic made it. I hope we get a chance, well, lots of chances, to do this again.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    edited May 2020

<3

I would also beg to say it's more than a "few" that have a lot of power.

Sorry I kept your quote to a smaller snap shot. I agree with what is said above, which is why I wondered, if they needed to increase the # of enemy with borg or a few others. There is 1 or 2 of the Red-Alerts that still take a little longer to complete. They don't want to make it overly challenging for new players though.

It may be far wiser to introduce Red-Alerts also at least at Advanced...
    0zxlclk.png
    ...It may be far wiser to introduce Red Alerts also at least at Advanced

Now that there is a mighty interesting idea. Mighty interesting indeed. I can definitely support such an addition to the game.

<3

I would also beg to say it's more than a "few" that have a lot of power.

Sorry I kept your quote to a smaller snap shot. I agree with what is said above, which is why I wondered, if they needed to increase the # of enemy with borg or a few others. There is 1 or 2 of the Red-Alerts that still take a little longer to complete. They don't want to make it overly challenging for new players though.

It may be far wiser to introduce Red-Alerts also at least at Advanced...

Again, I’m not saying that normal queues need to be made harder somehow, or dps for all needs to be reduced (effectively making normal queues harder for new players). Adding Advanced or Elite versions of RAs isn’t a bad idea, either, and probably should be done regardless.

But we’ll still see the same issues (albeit less often) unless the upper end of dps is reigned in somehow. But that may not happen. :/
    @keepcalmchiveon I'm not sure the RAs work that way. I haven't really looked into this but I think they scale automatically with player level like Episodes do.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Timer is there in the Tholian RA.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Just put them on a tab, and give them a cooldown, i'll be happy with that..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!

<3

As far as I know, the timer hasn't been there for ages. You might prefer a longer event, but I'm sure I am not the only one who appreciates the quickness of these. The game does need a variety of both and the longer content seems to be in more of an abundance than anything else.

Took a bit to pay attention enough to verify, but the timer is still there. And it is 15, not 10 like I thought. Still would not consider these as "long" events compared to everything else.
    edited June 2020
    ...It may be far wiser to introduce Red Alerts also at least at Advanced

Now that there is a mighty interesting idea. Mighty interesting indeed. I can definitely support such an addition to the game.

Yea, I originally thought Advanced &/or Elite Red-Alerts. Yet 92% rarely do Elite Space, the GAP is too large for 'most' to bridge, except the DPS elite in excess of 100k-450k range.

Still I be cautious about expanding difficulty of Normal Red-Alerts, even if a 'few' could be slightly expanded. The Borg for example, could add an addition Sphere & Drone(s) around each normal Cube, though sometimes they don't, as their are 2 Cubes in close proximity. A few limited drones for example to each grouping could likely help. I'm also reminded of what reyan01 said in reply to my first post where they stated, "Tholian Alert, for example, has to be a contender for 'shortest mission in the game."

I've done several Red-Alerts, yet I've noticed a few can still take 5-8 minutes, though the Borg I noticed typically was done faster, as were a limited few others as well. Still were seeing more doing Red-Alerts with XV Ultra or Epic, as their is no availability for at least Advanced Red-Alerts. So that may be the better solution. <3
    0zxlclk.png
    > @strathkin said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    >The Borg for example, could add an addition Sphere & Drone(s) around each normal Cube, though sometimes they don't, as their are 2 Cubes in close proximity. A few limited drones for example to each grouping could likely help.

I wonder, though, would this really help? Many going for dps (even if they’re doing a casual dps build) use cannons and cannon scatter volley. Wouldn’t this just as easily kill the extra ships?
    Possibly, depending how your positioned.

That's why above I said the best solution, as I first eluded to from the start was offering Advanced Red-Alerts as well.

Have a good day!
    0zxlclk.png

<3

Took a bit to pay attention enough to verify, but the timer is still there. And it is 15, not 10 like I thought. Still would not consider these as "long" events compared to everything else.

Good to know. I think the only way an instance would time out with 15 minutes would be for the entire group of 5 to be AFK. :P
    > @jcsww said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Good to know. I think the only way an instance would time out with 15 minutes would be for the entire group of 5 to be AFK. :P

Yes, yes it would. lol
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,493 Arc User
    One thing that would help a lot with the shortness would be to have the scenario locked until everyone got there. Often by the time I rez in the Tholian or Borg RAs have already been going for a while, in one of them I got there just in time to get one shot at the Tholian named dread (and I am not sure if it even reached the ship before it blew).

By "locked" I don't mean the long wait timers the new TFAs have at the beginning to read the instructions, just have the scenario hold until the last ship rezzes in.
  • diocletian#7546 diocletian Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    I had the problem with a few others creating rapid mass destruction in a short time not giving me time to get off a shot. I got frustrated and wanted to participate, but the top do’s players shut me out.

I solved it for the Tholian one by singling out an Orb Weaver or Mesh Weaver at one of the extreme flanks of the Tholian force. I dart straight for it at full impulse phasers blazing. I get the kill and the destruction of that ship keeps me above the afk penalty. I wanted to do more, but at least I got an Orb Weaver. Sometimes an Orb Weaver and a Mesh Weaver.
    edited June 2020
    In the Tholian one, I just move in with FAW and TS. That usually gets me enough damage to avoid AFKs. With cannons it's move in with scatter volley and couple it with TS.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    GW3 FTW
This discussion has been closed.